• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Saint_

Smash Apprentice
I need help with craq walking. Whenever I craq walk Link doesn't seem to slide very far. In fact he doesn't seem to slide at all. Can anybody give me any tips on how to perform this right? I've read and seen guides, as well as practiced over and over, but I can't seem to get it right. Any advice?

~Saint~

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I need help with craq walking. Whenever I craq walk Link doesn't seem to slide very far. In fact he doesn't seem to slide at all. Can anybody give me any tips on how to perform this right? I've read and seen guides, as well as practiced over and over, but I can't seem to get it right. Any advice?

~Saint~
Short hop a bair (while moving forward) and hold left or right. For example, if you want to craq walk to the right, you need to turn to the left, short hop while holding left, perform a Bair and hold right when you perform it, then continue holding right when you hit the ground.

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgzVCD3uS4

sasook

Smash Champion
You can do a normal "backwards-moving" bair and still craq walk out of it, NintenJoe.

sasook

Smash Champion
Oh I see, I didn't know that. I usually craq walk out of a normal backwards moving bair and pivot boost from there. I find it easier than having to build up the momentum of pivot boosting manually. Though, I'm probably doing it wrong if it takes so long to build up.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
...Take out a bomb and blow yourself up?

There's not really anything else you can do. Zair, drop down and UpB, or bomb the edge of the stage.
Frankly, Link's method of stalling is more than most characters get, so I'm happy with it the way it is.

And its cool that you second Link, because I second Lucario and take your advice to heart a lot of the time (and have learned not to underestimate SCIENCE!)

EDIT: And Sasook, with the boomerang there are a bunch of situations where the opponent may get hit in separate directions, but a straight-on hit will ALWAYS do the same knockback.
1: Ya, I lurv the zair hogging, tho I wanted to see if there was anything else to add in repertoire (like maybe 'rang or bombs).

2: Thank you :). Frankly, I found Link to click very well, with large range of hitboxes, and a very technical game, which only makes the game moar interesting.

Oh yeah, and SCIENCE!

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
well... my greatest problem ATM is spacing so... can someone give me some hints about it? Or at least... give me a link to a usefull thread... thanks =)

sasook

Smash Champion
Zair and boomerang. Arrow cancels work too at times.

If you need visual representation of spacing with Link, pretty much any video with Deva in it, preferably the ones with DSF because I think those are most recent.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to decide between tap jump and no tap jump. What are the pros and cons of each? Like what can you do better with and without tap jump? What can't you do at all?

sasook

Smash Champion
Well, you most likely already know what I'm gonna say.

Tap jump - OOS with perfect frames, upsmash/spin attack for edgeguarding when the guy is trying to get back on from the ledge.

No tap jump - bombsliding becomes loads easier. utlits become easier too.

Deva

Smash Lord
also with tap jump off, if you up b before using your second jump and get hit, you can still second jump. If it's on, you automatically lose your second jump when you up-b. I dont really have much use for that with Link though, so I keep tap jump on.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
What recoveries does Link's Nair out prioritize? I guess it could vary by angle, so specifically if he Nairs from straight up above them.
since nobody has answered your question yet I will research it for you and get back to you in a day or two....

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Link's nair outprioritizes. . .nothing. . . xD
Actually it outprioritizes a few things.
Pit's Arrows, Link's boomerang and arrows (I assume TL's as well), a few other things (most of Captain Falcon's attacks are cancelled as well, like raptor boost and falcon kick).
Nair technically outprioritizes bombs (I've done it) but 99% of the time you have to be really stupid to try and cancel Link or TL's bombs.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
also with tap jump off, if you up b before using your second jump and get hit, you can still second jump. If it's on, you automatically lose your second jump when you up-b. I dont really have much use for that with Link though, so I keep tap jump on.
So why do you keep tap jump on? What are specific situations that you use it for?

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Well, you most likely already know what I'm gonna say.

Tap jump - OOS with perfect frames, upsmash/spin attack for edgeguarding when the guy is trying to get back on from the ledge.

No tap jump - bombsliding becomes loads easier. utlits become easier too.
What is OOS stand for?

Also, I just did my first full Jab lock across Final Destination into full F-Smash today but the real problem is SETTING it up. What is the best way to do that? I've been spamming my boomerang for that sweet taste of awesome.

sasook

Smash Champion
What is OOS stand for?

Also, I just did my first full Jab lock across Final Destination into full F-Smash today but the real problem is SETTING it up. What is the best way to do that? I've been spamming my boomerang for that sweet taste of awesome.
OOS = out of shield

For jab lock setups, watch this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e291cu7khzE

I know not all of them are practical, but some of them are (Blubba pulled off the bomb throw down -> footstool -> FF nair set up on me).

Hue

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if this is a practical way to set up a jab lock, but last night I used two jab canceled utilts followed by a dtilt spike and a jab lock. Looks pretty cool, but I'm sure it's escapable with proper DI. I think it's techable, but it should still be usable just because it's so unexpected. I also used a SH zair close to the ground followed by a dtilt spike, but that was harder to perform consistently

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Well, if the opponent is good at edgeguarding, try to maneuver yourself so you dodge the nair or fair they will do, or airdodge if they try to shoot arrows or bomb you.
If they're not good, then just try to get to the ledge, and switch between your tether and normal recoveries often.

I was wondering if I am being edgeguarded what is the best way for link to recover when playing another link?!
depends very much what the other link is going to do. If he dares to use dair(wow I made a funny:lick:) zair recovery is my suggestion if you got time for it, so you get the edge before he comes down at you. if he is a spam edgeguarder, use dair to bounce of his projectiles. if is the run off nair/fair guy pull a bomb and toss a rang.when at the ledge roll or edgehop fair.

and DI properly, thats the most important thing, go training mode against a lvl 9 link and act sandbag that knows how to DI for half an hour, that will make you much better at DI correctly against link.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
If I'm edge guarding another Link they're not coming back when I use Dair unless they throw out their boomerang to thwart the attempt. A well placed boomerang can halt it completely while you Up-B onto the edge.

Make sure to throw out your boomerang if you can.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Link's recovery is hella predictable. Swordplay taught me that by punishing me several times with a Dair when I was recovering to the ledge. The best advice I can give is throw a lot of projectiles and pray or you'll end up with a sword in your face.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
If its a Link ditto, and the Link is good.

Don't bother recovering.

Link A > Jumps out and Nairs
Link B > Up-B's and gets hit by Nair and dies. OR Airdodges, and now cannot reach back to the stage.

Choose your poison.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
Well that suks! I used tether and it was pretty funny...he did nair...i did zair...he got hit bak and i caught the edge...after i recoverd he got knocked off and i used fsmash for tha kill!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

sasook

Smash Champion
When getting back, use fair after momentum canceling. Most people don't do this, they say throw a boomerang. Well, I have some replays of me getting punished for trying to throw a boomerang and getting hit in the startup animation. I say use fairs as a defensive wall. It's worked for me several times.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
They wont let me have any topics...so i gave up...i added you sasook, swordplay, and blue link...i would like to play you guys sometime...ill put up my FC when i get home...also i will be workin on my link videos over the next week so you guys can rate it.

sasook

Smash Champion
lol I bet if the thread didn't have the word "Spam" in it then it wouldn't have set off the red alert alarms in those rambunctious mods.
Hence the weekly discussion thread.

They wont let me have any topics...so i gave up...i added you sasook, swordplay, and blue link...i would like to play you guys sometime...ill put up my FC when i get home...also i will be workin on my link videos over the next week so you guys can rate it.
Your topics were deleted because they were things that didn't need to be separate topics. They could have been asked in this thread, for example.

And I don't usually add anyone here unless it's in the King of Wifi thread, which I rarely go to anyway.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
LINKS. I REQUEST ANSWERS. Would any of you agree on this?:

:link2: Link
Best: Rainbow Cruise, Norfair
Worst: Frigate Orpheon
It's for this thread, discussing each character's 3 general best and worst stages.

If no, suggestions?

D

Deleted member

100% true

but now that 90% of the stages are banned i'm pretty sure link is just screwed now

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
100% true

but now that 90% of the stages are banned i'm pretty sure link is just screwed now
That rule set Umbreon posted wasn't official... all the stages still keep their legality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom