• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

link is fcking terrible, if you don't already know this you seriously need to check your brain

sasook

Smash Champion
DJKingDavid, unless you play against computers, I really dunno where you find that Link is a good player.

He
is
absolutely
terrible

^Fact

You are either playing computers or your friends are really bad.

And your posts are a bit hard to read sometimes, could you please type a little more carefully? Like, "usin abbrvs like dis aint so bad by itslf" but combining that with the random CAPS you put FOR LINK and his MOVES can get ANNOYING.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
link is fcking terrible, if you don't already know this you seriously need to check your brain
I like him because he is terrible lol. Underdog ftw.

Ok NOOB *** questtion coming up: What exactly is spacing. I've been playing smash since melee and I've never really known for sure. I always assumed it was just how much space a move puts between you and an opponent and whether or not other moves can flow from that space.

If you say so...why do i need to talk proper...you cant read?...anyway say what you want to about Link hes just my favorite character...
That doesn't mean that he is the best. Everyone thinks their main is the best char, because they are good with them. Statistically link is not the best at all. For example, I think fox should be higher tier. Is it just a coinsidence that I main with fox as well as link? lol

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
lol ganondorf is way ****in slower...Link is bad against others?...i need to just play smash...ill come back to these forums after i play smash for a few hrz...im thinkin 3 Lv 9 computers teamed up on me...with 99 stock...n no items...if i lose only 25 guyz then im ready to play others...

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I like him because he is terrible lol. Underdog ftw.
Ok NOOB *** questtion coming up: What exactly is spacing. I've been playing smash since melee and I've never really known for sure. I always assumed it was just how much space a move puts between you and an opponent and whether or not other moves can flow from that space.
It's the distance you put between yourself and the opponent. For Link, spacing is an essential tactic-- he can't survive well in an all-out melee battle like most characters. A Link player that spaces well keeps the opponent at a distance where Link is most comfortable-- such as just enough room to throw a boomerang into the opponent without being punishable, keeping the opponent just within the reach of Link's blade so that he can strike them without being punished.

I'm sure other people can explain it better than me.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
^
This

Question: When do expect to have the frame data, Swordplay? (I apologize, I thought you already had it) I don't mean to rush you, but such information would be a great addition to my guide.

Also, do you plan on still making that **** combo thread? :)

sasook

Smash Champion
If you say so...why do i need to talk proper...you cant read?...anyway say what you want to about Link hes just my favorite character...
He's my favorite character too, doesn't change the fact that he's really bad in brawl. I can read just fine thank you very much, it's just rather irritating in that style you type. This is a forum site, not Instant Messenger.

Pretty much what Anon said, it's letting yourself be at a distance so that you can attack while the opponent can't.

He might be an underdog but he got power!
.....so does ganandorf
Power has absolutely nothing to do if a player is skilled. Look at Sonic, he's got little to no power in terms of strength, but then there's players like Kamano who make him look like a beast.

lol ganondorf is way ****in slower...Link is bad against others?...i need to just play smash...ill come back to these forums after i play smash for a few hrz...im thinkin 3 Lv 9 computers teamed up on me...with 99 stock...n no items...if i lose only 25 guyz then im ready to play others...
A few tips:

-Link is bad against most characters, I suggest starting to get active in your local smash community (maybe even attend a tourney) or if not, resort to wifi. AllisBrawl and Smashbrawlrankings are great sites for wifi matches.

-Don't ever, ever, ever, ever play against computers unless you want to work on spot dodge training or AT's. Playing humans is much better than computers, computers are predictable and give you fake experience. They play much differently than humans do, it's not really beneficial.

-No one plays with items. At all.

sasook

Smash Champion
No, you're wrong.

But you have no time to ponder such things, as Link has just grabbed a smashball.

rofl

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
roflroflroflrofl

Edit: I found something kind of weird but cool on Yoshi's Island. When you zair into the upward slope on the right side, the clawshot actually travels along the slope and does damage along the slope rather than just straight forward. I must assume that this is naturally known by all other Links, but does anybody know if it is a useful combo tool? I found it as a useful surprise technique, but I couldn't seem to force the opponents up the side of the slope like I wanted...
And what other stages does it work on? It doesn't seem to be working on sonic's level, for instance...

sasook

Smash Champion
By Yoshi's Island, you mean Pipes? I've never heard about this before, but I've never played on that stage before either.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
NO I do not plan on making a combo thread anymore.

I'm also having an EXTREMLY hard time finding the frame data. Not only is it hard to find for Link, but for DAC in general.

The worst case scenerio is that I test it myself but Id rather not. I'm going to go ask specific character boards like Snake if I don't get some PM's starting on Sunday.

NO I do not plan on making a combo thread anymore.

I'm also having an EXTREMLY hard time finding the frame data. Not only is it hard to find for Link, but for DAC in general.

The worst case scenerio is that I test it myself but Id rather not. I'm going to go ask specific character boards like Snake if I don't get some PM's starting on Sunday.
Exactly how do you test frame data? I wanna know cause if we have to do it ourselfs I want to help. Do I need to use ocarina hack(I have hombrew channel on my wii so its not much work for get the ocarina going) or is it just to test it in traing mode 1/4 speed and have a stopwatch in your hand.
Or should I just go wifi and simply count the frames? :chuckle:

Also I think that range and sheild knockback(how long your opponent is pushed back when his/her/its sheild is hit by one of links moves) is a good thing to have numbers on with link since he is all spacing.

makes me thinking of another question, how many FPS is brawl?

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering...doesnt no items make tha game a bit boring?! I was playin yesterday first time ever on my own system...and i was using only swords against him...2 level 9s on a team...i think we were on a link stage...it was pretty fun but i see how brawl has changed...Link is MUCH slower...i plan on fightin on wifi and all that fun stuff but i need to practice a bit more...oh and i hate smash balls...one hit KO items...thats gay...at least for Link...

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Exactly how do you test frame data? I wanna know cause if we have to do it ourselfs I want to help. Do I need to use ocarina hack(I have hombrew channel on my wii so its not much work for get the ocarina going) or is it just to test it in traing mode 1/4 speed and have a stopwatch in your hand.
Or should I just go wifi and simply count the frames? :chuckle:

Also I think that range and sheild knockback(how long your opponent is pushed back when his/her/its sheild is hit by one of links moves) is a good thing to have numbers on with link since he is all spacing.

makes me thinking of another question, how many FPS is brawl?
getting frame data requires that you stream a video of Link doing everything in his moveset, then slow down the video on your computer to frames and figure out how many frames each attack has, from start-up lag frames to ending lag frames. I've heard its a lot of work and I don't know all the details, but if you use search the boards, you'll undoubtedly find a guide.

getting frame data requires that you stream a video of Link doing everything in his moveset, then slow down the video on your computer to frames and figure out how many frames each attack has, from start-up lag frames to ending lag frames. I've heard its a lot of work and I don't know all the details, but if you use search the boards, you'll undoubtedly find a guide.
ok, then its kind of hard for me to do this, dont have the equipment.

sasook

Smash Champion
I was wondering...doesnt no items make tha game a bit boring?! I was playin yesterday first time ever on my own system...and i was using only swords against him...2 level 9s on a team...i think we were on a link stage...it was pretty fun but i see how brawl has changed...Link is MUCH slower...i plan on fightin on wifi and all that fun stuff but i need to practice a bit more...oh and i hate smash balls...one hit KO items...thats gay...at least for Link...
Items are all good and fun when you're playing by yourself with some friends and just feel like messing around. But honestly, to get better in skill, no one plays with items. They completely take away any term of skill.

"Oh look, a hammer just appeared next to me, lucky me, I get to take away that guys stock instantly."

"Lemme throw this bat at that guy trying to recover that just magically appeared next to me by chance, it'll make me a master edgeguarder."

.........No.

And again, please, please, please don't play computers. They really don't help that much at all. If you're planning to play on wifi, just go straight to that. You'll improve on wifi much faster than you will playing computers.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Lengthy post about items being bad and how they don't improve your skill.
This pretty much. They are fun to mess around with (Link comboing into a Final Smash XD) but they will not improve the way you play at all. Everyone on this site plays with no items (well just about) because the competitive value of items is nigh inert. They add a luck factor into the match which really shouldn't be there. A game of smash is about the amount of skill and practice a player has put into the game. If that luck factor is some how finagled it's way into the game, it almost defeats the purpose of the practice the player has done. In order to retain this skill factor over luck, the SBR has banned all items. So items are for amusement purposes only.

tl;dr?

Items add luck, make game unfair.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
.........No.

And again, please, please, please don't play computers. They really don't help that much at all. If you're planning to play on wifi, just go straight to that. You'll improve on wifi much faster than you will playing computers.
I finally admit it, Sasook; you are right about computers. Mostly.

I'm screwed for life because I've played 100's of hours against computers and am totally messed up in strategy. :chuckle::chuckle:
WiFi is better, but if you don't have the time to call friends over or wait 15 minutes for somebody to show up and play you on WiFi, then go to CPU's.
So Sasook, I STILL feel that if you have nothing better, CPU's will do. Just make it a level 3 or 5 and practice combos.
And I also disagree on spot dodging. CPU's screw you up there anyway, they play so different than normal people. :chuckle:

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
why not turn off gay items?...i love swoards...i hate one HIT KOs...i rather rack up damage on someone...thats why i built a level i call tha DEATH BOX!!! or BOX-O-DEATH...lol either way its ****ing insane!

i wanna play you blue link...i see what u guyz are talkin bout now...brawl has changed quite a bit...i am adjusting to this new version of Link...i wil be gettin my brawl fc code today...i decided u can play regular melee if u go to training and up tha speed...then its sorta like your back to tha old way...

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
Items add randomness to the game and competitive games are not random. Items get in the way of balanced fighting.

sasook

Smash Champion
WiFi is better, but if you don't have the time to call friends over or wait 15 minutes for somebody to show up and play you on WiFi, then go to CPU's.
I recommend either allisbrawl.com or smashbrawlrankings.com they are both great sites and easy to find matches. They helped me improve a ton.

So Sasook, I STILL feel that if you have nothing better, CPU's will do. Just make it a level 3 or 5 and practice combos.
Yeah, I guess so, I won't disagree. I'm just against playing computers in general, but that's just me. If I have no one to play, I'd rather go into training mode and practice pivot boosting.

And I also disagree on spot dodging. CPU's screw you up there anyway, they play so different than normal people. :chuckle:
Well, Wolf computers tend to smash a lot from what I remember. So that's how I learned to spot dodge. It was a lonnggg time ago though, and to each his own. You're probably right.

This pretty much. They are fun to mess around with (Link comboing into a Final Smash XD) but they will not improve the way you play at all. Everyone on this site plays with no items (well just about) because the competitive value of items is nigh inert. They add a luck factor into the match which really shouldn't be there. A game of smash is about the amount of skill and practice a player has put into the game. If that luck factor is some how finagled it's way into the game, it almost defeats the purpose of the practice the player has done. In order to retain this skill factor over luck, the SBR has banned all items. So items are for amusement purposes only.

tl;dr?

Items add luck, make game unfair.
^this

why not turn off gay items?...i love swoards...i hate one HIT KOs...i rather rack up damage on someone...thats why i built a level i call tha DEATH BOX!!! or BOX-O-DEATH...lol either way its ****ing insane!

i wanna play you blue link...i see what u guyz are talkin bout now...brawl has changed quite a bit...i am adjusting to this new version of Link...i wil be gettin my brawl fc code today...i decided u can play regular melee if u go to training and up tha speed...then its sorta like your back to tha old way...
Because ANY item adds an unfair luck factor. It doesn't matter which items are cheap and which are not, any of them adds the luck factor that it may appear next to you and help you win. Here's an example of why items are banned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44i-EM2thqo

Do you see how the Shiek didn't plan for that happen? It was just chance that the bomb, box, and star rod appeared. THAT's the luck factor we're talking about. The video might be melee, but the concept holds the same.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
He's my favorite character too, doesn't change the fact that he's really bad in brawl. I can read just fine thank you very much, it's just rather irritating in that style you type. This is a forum site, not Instant Messenger.

Pretty much what Anon said, it's letting yourself be at a distance so that you can attack while the opponent can't.

Power has absolutely nothing to do if a player is skilled. Look at Sonic, he's got little to no power in terms of strength, but then there's players like Kamano who make him look like a beast.

A few tips:

-Link is bad against most characters, I suggest starting to get active in your local smash community (maybe even attend a tourney) or if not, resort to wifi. AllisBrawl and Smashbrawlrankings are great sites for wifi matches.

-Don't ever, ever, ever, ever play against computers unless you want to work on spot dodge training or AT's. Playing humans is much better than computers, computers are predictable and give you fake experience. They play much differently than humans do, it's not really beneficial.

-No one plays with items. At all.
Did you catch my sarcasm? Just checking XD

Question: So its bad to play computers? I play people about 95 percent of the time, but I play 9 computers when no one is around. Bad idea?

sasook

Smash Champion
I didn't catch it actually, sorry T_T

I'm really bad at picking up internet sarcasm lol.

And IMO, training mode > playing computers. As long as you're playing people 95% of the time, it's good.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Question: So its bad to play computers? I play people about 95 percent of the time, but I play computers when no one is around. Bad idea?
Answer: Here's my opinion about training against computers:

1. Computers are only to be played when no one else will play with you, no matter how bad he/she is.

2. If forced into a position where you must play a computer, consider one of the following options:

-a. If you need to work on techniques, go into training mode and practice. Techniques such as doubledraw, SH quickdraw, boomerang cancelling, bombsliding, and pivot boositng should all be practiced here until they are "mastered"

-b. If you want to apply techniques to gameplay, play a lvl. 7 computer. Anything below this level is too weak and anything above will spot dodge/roll/play irregularly. Level 7s tech surfaces (but not all the time) spot dodge appropriately, and don't powershiled everything, which makes them a good "human player" substitute.

-c. If you need to practice combos, play against low level computers that will not fight back but dodge and "DI" decently. I recommend level 3-5, preferably 5, because they hardly attack but attempt to get away during combos.

3. Never overplay computers. Doing so will inevitably mess up your playing style/make you think you're better than you really are.

And there you have it.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for both answers guys, lots of info. I'll remember that lvl 7 thing.

Question: This ones actually for sasook. Which link video do you personally think has the best link. In the archive I can't weed out the average from the fantastic. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

sasook

Smash Champion
XD why ask me in particular? But sure, I'll answer.

There's 6 "super" Links on these boards.

They are the following:

Deva - watch him for spacing
ArkiveZero - watch him for DI
Blubba_Pinecone - I'm working on getting him up onto youtube
Izaw - watch him on how to make your opponents look extremely bad
Dolphins22/Finns7 - watch him on how to rack up damage fast
Legan - watch him for pivot boosting

Most of my skill is based on playing lvl 9 cpus, but when I play those its my reactions(which is a HUGE part of my playstyle), close range sheild pressure, DI and just the plain physics of links different attacks that Im trying to improve. The reason I play the lvl 9 cpu is because I want someone with equally good reactions (ok i maybe overestimate myself a bit, but I Also before every match I play against the computor I give myself an extra challenge like "Im going try to juggle it as much as possible" or "I shall play with a bomb in hand as much as possible" so playing against the computor is what you makes it, but I agree with you that it messes up your playstyle IF you are playing the cpus totally serious and exploits the fact that the computors fall for the same mindgames over and over again, delayed second fsmash is a good example.

so IMO computors is good for training everything but mindgames(which is very important), wifi is always so laggy I get a really bad headache after about 10 matches I need to concentrate to much on how the lag effects my movement and attacks, I can almost never play a wifi match without dying by the lag at least once so to me cpus often is better than wifi actually(I have never got anything better than yellow connection :p).

sasook

Smash Champion
Also before every match I play against the computor I give myself an extra challenge like "Im going try to juggle it as much as possible" or "I shall play with a bomb in hand as much as possible" so playing against the computor is what you makes it, but I agree with you that it messes up your playstyle IF you are playing the cpus totally serious
Hmm, that's not a bad way to train. The "goal" thing, I mean.

I have never got anything better than yellow connection.
Yeah, that stinks man, I usually get green connections, so lag doesn't effect me too much.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Most of my skill is based on playing lvl 9 cpus, but when I play those its my reactions(which is a HUGE part of my playstyle), close range sheild pressure, DI and just the plain physics of links different attacks that Im trying to improve. The reason I play the lvl 9 cpu is because I want someone with equally good reactions (ok i maybe overestimate myself a bit, but I Also before every match I play against the computor I give myself an extra challenge like "Im going try to juggle it as much as possible" or "I shall play with a bomb in hand as much as possible" so playing against the computor is what you makes it, but I agree with you that it messes up your playstyle IF you are playing the cpus totally serious and exploits the fact that the computors fall for the same mindgames over and over again, delayed second fsmash is a good example.

so IMO computors is good for training everything but mindgames(which is very important), wifi is always so laggy I get a really bad headache after about 10 matches I need to concentrate to much on how the lag effects my movement and attacks, I can almost never play a wifi match without dying by the lag at least once so to me cpus often is better than wifi actually(I have never got anything better than yellow connection :p).
You flamed me and Wafflez earlier (remember when you called us "care bears"?). ;) :p

CPU's play really different than people at tournaments do. A level 9 D3 may not seem intimidating-- easy to juggle, outspam, etc.-- but a D3 as a person will chaingrab you to the edge, fair you, and then grab the edge. Suddenly you find yourself laughing a lot less and wondering why you even bothered playing cpu's in the first place, because they really do NOT play like a human.
Reactions? Sure, they're pretty good for getting reactions to attacks down. Keeping yourself warmed up? Definitely. Improving your playstyle?
.........No.
I think I understand why your WiFi sucks, your by mountains like me. :p I get good connections with anyone west of me (like Havvok) but people like Marsulas, 30 min south of me with some mountains between? Red connection.

tl;dr
Sweden sucks for WiFi. Keep playing friends and minimal CPU’s to keep warmed up.
Otherwise play the Subspace Emmisary. ;)

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I can't play wifi lol it's broken. Plus wifi sucks dinosaur bawls.

Deva

Smash Lord
Yo sup CAN you guyz UNDERSTAND what ima sayin when ima TALKIN like dis? Bascisly LINK has really badz recoverzzz. DOESNT matter how dank you are on stage. ANYONE half decentss will gimp you when they get you off. If LINK had a BETTER recovery, he'd probably be alotzz higher on teh tier thingy. =P

lol, no offense. I just saw so many posts like that. I had to do something. But yeah, even in melee, Link sucked. Dont try to argue that Link is a good character. You'll never get anywhere. Instead work doing well in tournaments so you can say that your Link is good.

Matt07

Smash Master
Deva, where were you? I know you pwned 5th place at a tourney today, but I wanna see some new videos of you :p.

Deva

Smash Lord
uhh. . .well. . .I. . .uhh. . .wasn't exactly at a tournament this weekend like I usually am when I go awol from the boards. . .

I was uhh. . .sorta playin. . .WoW. . .xD

My friend invited me over and was power leveling me cuz he wants me to be in his arena team or something. It's ok, I haven't been lost to WoW xD. I dont even like it that much.

I was at a tournament last weekend though, got 5th, almost 3 stocked the best player in the state when he was MK, he refuses to ever go MK against me again. . .the usual =P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom