• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasook

Smash Champion
Yeah, but it's really hard to set up. It's very situational.

EDIT: I have a question. Sometimes I have a really hard time getting that final hit for the last KO. Any tips on this?

EDIT 2: Another question I have is, is there a sweetspot for the ftilt? Like does it perform better if hit near the tip versus the middle to hilt area?

slickvic

Smash Apprentice
New York City/currently in Los Angeles (college)
i have a question, well more like advice. As i play more, i notice that my edge game is really lacking. I usually dont try and edgeguard too much. At first I thought it was because I was scared of Link's terrible recovery, but then i realized, I dont know too many good techniques. I read the guides about edgeguarding, but maybe you guys are a little bit more insightful

sasook

Smash Champion
Nair after the first few frames

Ledgehopped bair

Bair stage spike

Sometimes dair

Arrows

That's all i got.

And no one ever answered my questions.:(

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
You only asked, like, 10 last night. Give it a little time. XD

Ftilt hits just the same no matter where you strike it with. There's a me vs pit match on FD where I hit with the VERY tip of my blade, and it sends him just as far as it would normally.

Getting the final hit? Just punish when the opponent becomes predictable. Otherwise stick to racking up damage the way you normally do.
Dair when the opponent doesn't expect it, upB when the opponent rolls, dsmash when the opponent rolls or lands, uptilt if they are falling on you... It really is about tricking the opponent, 'cause Link can't just run up and expect to land a fsmash. Fortunately you've got lots of ways to trick the opponent.

sasook

Smash Champion
Okay, thanks. Wait, I asked 10 questions lol? I know the ftilt question is recent, but the final hit one, I had asked a few days ago, on the first of November. Oh well, I guess I got a little impatient.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Sorry, 10:00 PM is what I meant. Gosh my typing skillz suck faces like the Kracken from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Yes, you are right, the other one was asked a while ago. And I was merely giving my opinion on that one, get Legan over here or something if you want a full-proof answer. :p

Swordplay

Smash Lord
It seems we are running low on questions.

I'll ask one I guess. I am allowed to do so :D.

This is something I have struggled with for a while.
When using air attacks do you.

A. Use the C-Stick
B. Don't use C-Stick (Attack buttons + analog stick)
C. Use either/both depending on the situation.

Right now I find myself using both ( C ). Attack buttons can get me quicker areals so I use them coming off the ledge and for RARing. I sometimes use the C-Stick when I need more directional control or when I ZAC. However I sometimes to the wrong 1 when it comes to a certain situation.

What do you guys use and think is best.
What do you think is easiest?
It would also be great to discuss when it is appropriate to use one method over the other.

Give reasons why and explanations of where you stand.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
I use both (C)..but I only use the c-stick for a dair as I find it much easier, but because it has a FF built in it i only use the cstick dair when on stage, otherwise if i'm trying to gimp I use down A.

sasook

Smash Champion
I use both depending on the situation. The majority of the time, as in to say, using aerials normally, I use the control stick + A. However, if I want to do something a bit unorthodox, I'll use the C-stick.

For example, in that uncommon tricks vid by Dark M, where he shows the dair + bomb recovery edgeguarding, I use the C-stick because I can hold away from the stage while still doing a dair to get the max distance for edgeguarding. I've been considering using C-stick for ZACs since I have great difficulty with them as it is now.

Other than that, yeah, it's always control stick + A. The only other use I can think of for C-sticking aerials is to eliminate momentum, meaning like, you want to do a bair, but stay stationary and not move backwards. Also, retreating fairs need the C-stick.

I prefer control stick + A because I've always played like that, ever since melee. It's just a habit.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
So like

If i wanted to play gay and completely control my opponent with projectiles and spacing tools.. is this the character i need to pick up? ^_^

sasook

Smash Champion
So like

If i wanted to play gay and completely control my opponent with projectiles and spacing tools.. is this the character i need to pick up? ^_^
Nah, that'd be Toon Link. If you want to play a character that makes your opponents go WTH HOW'D I LOSE when you beat them, this is the character you need.

Matt07

Smash Master
So umm question, If you do your Forward air, and move toward the opponent while doing the move, will both 'slashes' hits? I've done it in training mode, and wanted to know if it depends if your opponent DI's.

sasook

Smash Champion
I'm not sure really, I used to have a problem where I could never land the second hit (I'd always go too forward and they'd end up behind me).

I fixed it by holding forward during the first slash, then nothing during the second slash. Dunno what works for C-stick though. I use control stick + A.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Ill say this Steel.

Link and TL space about evenly. Link may have more range but TL speed makes up for it.

But TL Spams better.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Question: Why was I dragged out down to Phillie and away from a computer? I'm on a MacBook at the Apples store right now. What have I missed? I'm getting back on Saturday afternoon. See ya soon guys. :( Atleast the pretzels are good.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
Question: What exactly is the timing for links boost smash? I almost always end up just grabbing. It seems like I can only get it when I'm playing really competitively. I cant just do it on command. Like I can only get it when i'm not thinking about it.

sasook

Smash Champion
It just requires practice, really. Try to evenly space out the inputs of the control stick, C-stick, and Z button. If you grab, it means you're not giving enough time for the dash attack to initiate. You should press upZ just as you see the beginning of Link's dash attack.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Question: What exactly is the timing for links boost smash? I almost always end up just grabbing. It seems like I can only get it when I'm playing really competitively. I cant just do it on command. Like I can only get it when i'm not thinking about it.
It really is timing. Try training mode.

If you do it to fast OR too slow you will end up putting in a dash attack/grab.

If you want, I will get frame data for you......Just give me the word.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
It really is timing. Try training mode.

If you do it to fast OR too slow you will end up putting in a dash attack/grab.

If you want, I will get frame data for you......Just give me the word.
you have frame data????? The Link boards need it, Swordplay, don't be keeping it all for yourself now... :)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
You have FRAME DATA!?!
Yes, much needed, GIVE TO US...

Shady, the best thing I can tell you is go to Hyrule Temple in training mode, zoom up on Link, and then just go back and forth trying to do it. Make a record, like you have to do it 10 times in a row. It improved my ability to do the DAC when I wanted from 10% of the time to 60%.

I still suck miserably though.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I modified my controller to make the Z button set to "Attack" so that DAC is less punishable in case you screw it up and throw out your Hookshot. I instantly felt that when I switched these buttons around from using Z as a Throw to DAC...that I lost tons of sliding momentum.

Sliding half a screen with Z set to throw seems harder to do when Z is set to attack. What are your thoughts on this assumption.

Swordplay

Smash Lord

you have frame data????? The Link boards need it, Swordplay, don't be keeping it all for yourself now... :)

You have FRAME DATA!?!
Yes, much needed, GIVE TO US...

14. Link players have lives. We are sorry if we cannot answer your question right away. We will get to it as soon as possible. Even if we have to research.

I do not have frame DATA but As rule 14 states. I will research is since you are all so eager to know it.

I will get back to you on this and put it in FAQ!!!!!!

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
I modified my controller to make the Z button set to "Attack" so that DAC is less punishable in case you screw it up and throw out your Hookshot. I instantly felt that when I switched these buttons around from using Z as a Throw to DAC...that I lost tons of sliding momentum.

Sliding half a screen with Z set to throw seems harder to do when Z is set to attack. What are your thoughts on this assumption.
I play with all initial controls except that tapjump is off, and I don't really ever end up grabbing. I'm pretty sure it's all in your head. However, the dash attack is less punishable than the grab if you DO mess up.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
I read page after page of these LINK questions...i think theres NO WAY LINK is bottem tier...any CHAR that can cause 100%+ in 15 secs...and has THAT many KO moves...must be near tha top...IMO LINK is quickest KO of all...next to META-KNIGHT(cheap ****er)...good combo is Dthrow+upsmash+Spinslash...n followed by spacing...i like to let my opponent think he can get a smash in then Dair him...i look forward to smashin u SWORDPLAY, DEVA, and any otherz!!! -ThaKing :)

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
1. Wrong thread.

2. I've never seen anyone, pro or not, in an actual match do 100+ damage. Maybe HRC but no one has done that. And Link is a terrible character. Saying he's broken is like saying Chuck Norris is as strong as God. He's way stronger. So please, don't talk about Link like he's actually good. He's bottom because of slowness and terrible recovery. And some other stuff.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
u mean recovery on edges? or recovery from attacks? or recovery from doin an attack? or what?!

also u dont think LINK cud rack up damaged that fast? are u ****in kiddin me...mayb im so used to melee...i need to see how much he changed on BRAWL...but i played with him a few times...seems like tha same old LINK to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom