• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Thank you for all your support.

I will continue to update the FAQ......
I should have reserved 1 post for the FAQ but I was stupid...I'll just have to make a hard copy in word now....

This is your prize for your support. A question from me.

Question: Why are you still up?

Seriously go to bed people...... its 4 A.M eastern. (west coast is exempt...so his hawaii and alaska)

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
because I work night shift on a computer :p

I also have a question, i asked in the triforce guide but I think here might be better. What specifics are their to perform a craq walk. I feel like I am either pressing too far in the direction ( sometimes to the point where I DI in the air ), and other like I might be pulling it too early or late ( am I suppose to do it at the height of his short hop?)

thankssss swordplay :p

DSP

Smash Apprentice
because here in Europe, it's 11AM and I don't have university yet =D
@WEMP:
Generally speaking, you can't craq walk without a little DI in the air. In arkivezero's vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgzVCD3uS4 you see that he's already moving into one direction ever so slightly when performing a craq walk. You perform a craq walk if you're already pushing the control stick in the direction you're not facing while landing, you can do that no matter how you DI in the air. A good example are RAR'd Bairs into a craq walk, you already DI into the opponent's direction during the Bair and still do a craq walk.

tl;dr: Just DI as you want and press the Control Stick all the way into the opposite direction while lannding, it doesn't have to look exactly as in arkive's video.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
he just makes it look soooooo good :p

mine seems to go almost no distance where as he seems to go for miles, i guess i just have to keep practicing to find the nuances or whatever. I am just assuming that I am doing something wrong I guess, haha

Swordplay

Smash Lord
This might go into the FAQ soon as it has been asked a few times.

Craq Walk and Pivot boost are 2 different things.

Craq Walk is when your in the air facing one direction, you land and boost yourself the other directon by hitting the analog stick in that direction.

Pivot boost is the ground version of Craq walk where you face one direction and give yourself a pivot boost to walk the other direction by using the turning around animation.

The Craq walk is great for comboing out of

bair
other reverse air moves

The Pivot boost is great for

Movement
Unexpected approach.

Both are great into comboing unexpected moves....such moves would be.

F-tilt
D-Dilt
D-Smash
and even some air moves like zair...

if anybody can explain it better feel free....

rocker1356

Smash Cadet
I have a question. I play Toon Link and I was wondering if there were any things that make Link a lot better than Toon Link which I could use? I like Link but I have problems using him.

Deva

Smash Lord
If you wanna play the character that's better, stick with TL. If you care about Link as a character and want to improve with him even though he sucks, stick around for a bit and we'll show you how to. . .well. . .not lose AS much lol.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Only thing Link has over toon Link is a DAC a better zair, and more sword range....
TL is better in every other aspect or it is a debatable subject.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Personally, I believe that Link's spam is faster too. TL's projectiles are kinda floaty but Link's are faster and with less lag. It's personally preference though. I like Link. :p

D

Deleted member

craq walk = waveland
pivot boost = wavedash

think of them that way

only difference between link and TL you need to know

TL mains are gay
Link mains are hella baller

'nuff said

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
lol I'm logged on at an Intenet cafe. @_@ First time I've logged on in public lol XD Anyway question time. How effective is Zair at high percents? Samus's (sweet spotted) at high percents has good knock back but how good is Link's?

Finns7

Smash Ace
Sometimes I do it, its not bad but dont count on it to kill like samus. Most characters without a crappy recovery wont get gimped by it either (98 percent of brawl chars except Link).

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
I have a question...I was told Link has one of the best spot dodges in the game.
How is this so? And how is a good spot dodge determined?

Deva

Smash Lord
I think Link has less cooldown frames after a spot dodge, so he's less vulnerable after a spot dodge compared to most of the characters, though some like Rob have such good spot dodges it makes Link look bad lol.

links spotdodge is like meleeness spotdodge fast and with little vulnerable lag, making it hard to punish if the opponent dont have long duration moves, ****ing gaw chair for example. Got me thinking, is spotspam a good idea? Since link actually can rack up damage quite well, spotspam to not aproching(or what to call it) characters with reflectors but bad spam that needs to focus on melee combat, like... **** there is none

marktenshi

Smash Rookie
Question: Can anyone make a recommendation against Diddy? I'm fully convinced this guy I faced almost never played, but he played enough to know how ****ing good bananas are. It's all he did! And it worked! Any recommendations? 'Cause Diddy was an opponent I never concentrated on but he is a VERY good character (melee-wise, quick and strong)

use diddys bananas against him, pick em up with dacs, and dashattacks as you always want to keep some pressure on him, throw em just random so that they are on the stage. If you are starting to sheild he can do a lot of stupid stuff, I have absolutely no idea how to best gimp a diddy, anyhow dont go offstage unless diddy is charging an up B. Is there not a character match up thread somewhere? Ill find it for you.

There you go: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196257

diddy was the first one, lulz

:)

Legan

Smash Lord
Where do babies come from?

PS: Ill try to put up a vid of me vs's samurai pandas Diddy. It's shows how to play the diddys that know how to dribble & banana lock and all that diddy bull****.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
When I fight Diddy, I just space away from him if he's got a banana in hand. Most of his combos begin when you get hit by a banana. If he's holding one, his options to hit you are pretty limited so just use those bombs and arrows to force him close and throw it.

If you can dodge the banana, try and grab it yourself while throwing projectiles back at Diddy because it's likely he'll be wanting that banana back too.

If you've got a banana in hand, be unpredictable. Use an F-Smash while holding it, z-drop the banana and regrab into an aerial, and use arrows and your boomerang. Link has many ways to attack while holding an item so use that against Diddy who pretty much has no projectiles at all.

Those are some of my strategies. He's really not that difficult once you get spacing and banana control down.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Where do babies come from?

PS: Ill try to put up a vid of me vs's samurai pandas Diddy. It's shows how to play the diddys that know how to dribble & banana lock and all that diddy bull****.
Babies come from you!!!!!

No but that would be awesome Legan... put it up in your video section.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
How do i jab lock with Link corectly? You can only use first jab to wobble them and keep them on the ground but sometimes they just crawl up real quickly after the jab.
Whats really weird is when plugin a gc port on any of the ports and try to jab lock the lifeless, non cpu controlled character they still do this anyways.
This ruins the entire combo, what am i doing wrong?

sasook

Smash Champion
How do i jab lock with Link corectly? You can only use first jab to wobble them and keep them on the ground but sometimes they just crawl up real quickly after the jab.
Whats really weird is when plugin a gc port on any of the ports and try to jab lock the lifeless, non cpu controlled character they still do this anyways.
This ruins the entire combo, what am i doing wrong?
It's the timing of the first jab, if you don't do it at the very..um...very correct/perfect? moment, it actually makes them get up or roll away. It's not an easy thing to do (the jab lock) so don't feel frustrated. Not many players can do it in a match.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
1) Meh maybe fair or nair. Dthrow works well. Best comboing tilt however is Utilt. Bomb can combo into Fair or nair when thrown from above your enemy.

2) His strongest moves are probably fully charged Fsmash or dsmash. Actually I haven't a clue lol

sasook

Smash Champion
Upsmash should be used as a damage racker, not a finisher. Dsmash, fsmash, ftilt, dair <---all KO moves.

They are tough questions, it depends on your playstyle. I mean, some players just use projects to rack up damage, so *shrug*

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Upsmash should be used as a damage racker, not a finisher. Dsmash, fsmash, ftilt, dair <---all KO moves.

They are tough questions, it depends on your playstyle. I mean, some players just use projects to rack up damage, so *shrug*
Lol, my playing style has morphed into something so defensive I kill people with bombs when they're at 180%. :laugh:

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Well, I like using a front smash or a f-air if they have low hps. The F-air has a wall effect and is a really good defensive move compared to other Link moves. If you manage to get 2 front smashes off at the front you get 35% damage, but keep in mind a low % is needed for this. I generally reserve the dsmash for kill blows only, b/c it is the easiest kill move to hit with. Also, I generally hold the ftilt back until I am near an edge and edge guarding or after they trip and I want to knock them off the stage. So, those 2 moves I would reserve for killing, as well as the DAIR, if you use the DAIR too much and poorly people tend to f*ck you up. So, it is best to keep that fresh so when you do hit someone with it they die. ZAIR, projectiles, aerials, grabs, jabs, low% front smash, are all good moves for doing damage, just learn how to use them to minimize on how much you get punished. Also, I heard that grab releasing into a dsmash was really awesome, not 100% sure though.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Bombs and the Uthrow are good kill moves once they get high damage. Just remeber that you have to use a bomb thrown from the air to get a KO with it.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Oh, not a big deal but an UpThrow will kill most light and medium-weighted characters at a around 185% or higher. It has to be a fresh UpThrow though; never used until the time intended to kill your opponent.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
So i just need to perfect a speicific timing eh? Ive already jab locked before in real matches, just nothing very long at all. I can get out maybe 3 or 4 hits before they just pop up like magic! Its weird...

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
So i just need to perfect a speicific timing eh? Ive already jab locked before in real matches, just nothing very long at all. I can get out maybe 3 or 4 hits before they just pop up like magic! Its weird...
not perfect, but it has to be fast and within a certain window of time. If you follow up with a jab thats too slow, then they won't get caught in the wobble animation and they'll stand up. It happens a lot in training mode for some reason or another... :ohwell:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom