• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kief

Smash Ace
hey guys im having some major problems with short hopping. i know one way to do it is to lightly press up on the control stick not to its full extext but normally in a match im too tense to do that and i end up full jumping.

the way i do it now is i press the control stick sideways but up a little bit (maybe 35 degrees or something), then quickly after, i press it down sideways in the same direction (maybe 45 degrees or more). normally i can zair fine, but if i try to do any other aerial (fair, bair), i end up dairing into the ground (obviously bad lol). so i cant help but think that theres a better way to short hop.

i guess my official question is what is the correct way to short hop?

sasook

Smash Champion
It's just touch. Press jump very quickly, as if it burns your finger when touching it or something. Like

Normal jump (full hop):

Touch

SH:

Tou- *release*

Just barely pressing it, and very quickly.

Kief

Smash Ace
ah i see. well crap i was hoping there was some other way cus im not good at that way. :(
sigh oh well i guess i'll just have to practice some more...

thanks though

Swordplay

Smash Lord
use a jump button.

I there are a few people who don't use it though. I don't think blubba has tap jump on but I'm not sure how he jumps.

you may want to contact him.

Ye it has happened to me twice, whilst I was dashing towards my brothers Marth, and he was off the ground sort of anyways, I dashed attacked and it spiked him. I was like WTF!? how the hell did that happen.

I thought I had seen things, and didnt think anything off it, but whilst I was playing sum random noob online, he was playing Ike.......It happened again and then I knew 4 certain that I could do it but I have been trying but nothing.

Im sorry but I havent got a vid....duno how but I will try to figure it out as soon as.

PS. I duuno how this could be implemented into your game, but its always nice to know new things about our wonderful/but fcuked up Hero of Hyrule.
your opponent could have simply been DIing down. Vid would help.

D

Deleted member

link is one of the easiest people to sh with because he's so heavy lol...

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Yeah Brawl's DI is a bit odd with smaller attacks. I think any move can spike if DI'd incorrectly lol

I'm not testing that.

Kief

Smash Ace
yeah i know...because link is so heavy it makes me feel crappier about myself since i still suck at short hopping lol...and regarding swordplay's response, i keep hearing about 'tap jump' but i dont know what it is. is it like some rule or option? lol >.>

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
yeah i know...because link is so heavy it makes me feel crappier about myself since i still suck at short hopping lol...and regarding swordplay's response, i keep hearing about 'tap jump' but i dont know what it is. is it like some rule or option? lol >.>
It's what you are doing, lol. You are using the control stick to jump rather than the x or y buttons. If you go to Data, you can change your controller buttons around, and there are a few other options as well. One of these is Tap Jump, which is automatically set to on. You can turn it off from there.

Kief

Smash Ace
oh i see. so do most people use the x and y buttons to regular jump then the control stick to sh? or the other way around? i've never used the x and y buttons cus i already have enough stuff to do with my right thumb v.v and it sounds like i should go ahead and leave tap jump on. cus isn't that how the tournaments would be? i dont want to develop any habbits i cant use when it matters...

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
I use the X and Y buttons to both jump and short-hop. Short-hopping with those buttons is as easy as tapping it. If you want to do a full jump, just hold the button longer.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
I have a question; Is it a gd idea to make a thread based on Link's moves. I've seen the metagame thread but wat I'm talking about is not ATs but his actual attacks. I'll give u an example (the one that gave me the idea to make one here) http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188725
I decided to ask here because I don't wanna make a thread and then get flamed that it's useless so I'm asking now. I no it wud also mean that the move discussion should be updated each week... I haven't even decided definetely whther I want to do this but I'm just asking for an opinion.

sasook

Smash Champion
Not really, no. Every move is situational, there's no "best move" for Link. That's why that we called that other thread useless, the Link Moveset Tier List or something like that.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I think that thread could have gone places if he would have put a statement that every move has it's place...even though some of Links moves are less useful than others....which would have been interesting to gauge. I can honestly say that Links down-tilt is worth less to me than his Up-Tilt, F-Smash or bombs. Down tilt has it's place...but it's generally less useful than most of his moves. I think that thread could have gone in a better direction to show which moves are more broken than others...my two cents.

sasook

Smash Champion
I have a question about playing Falco. How does one play against a comboey Falco? I played one the other day that didn't go for chaingrabs at all, but rather used a ton of combos. I really felt like I was playing bombsoldier's melee Falco or something, it was insane. I couldn't do anything at all.

I tried playing close range, obviously that didn't work, and he reflected all my projectiles. He was pretty awesome at powershielding my zair as well. Someone gimme tips please.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I have a question about playing Falco. How does one play against a comboey Falco? I played one the other day that didn't go for chaingrabs at all, but rather used a ton of combos. I really felt like I was playing bombsoldier's melee Falco or something, it was insane. I couldn't do anything at all.

I tried playing close range, obviously that didn't work, and he reflected all my projectiles. He was pretty awesome at powershielding my zair as well. Someone gimme tips please.
Don't get hit.

In all seriousness, Zair a lot. And nair to interrupt his combos. That's all I can say.

sasook

Smash Champion
I see...

hmm, from what I can remember, he would do what seemed like jab cancels, sometimes the full jab twirl -> reflector. He'd fast fall his fairs so as to get all except hte last knockback hit in, he did dthrow -> DAC or hyphen smash, wasnt sure which, he'd do a few bairs every now and then, rarely ever used his B button at all except for reflector. Hmm, he did some dtilts and dairs, some utilts, usually finished with a usmash, uair, fsmash, or dsmash. Yeah, very varied Falco, not the normal Falco at all. Keep in mind, he's against using CGs.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
I have a question; Is it a gd idea to make a thread based on Link's moves. I've seen the metagame thread but wat I'm talking about is not ATs but his actual attacks. I'll give u an example (the one that gave me the idea to make one here) http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188725
I decided to ask here because I don't wanna make a thread and then get flamed that it's useless so I'm asking now. I no it wud also mean that the move discussion should be updated each week... I haven't even decided definetely whther I want to do this but I'm just asking for an opinion.
If you include frame data I will definitely support this.

I agree with sasook about the Link moveset tier list thread being useless since ranking moves is just plain toon link, but discussion of moves are different. They are situational, so maybe we can discuss what moves are best for certain situations. Perhaps you need speed (dsmash), a peach player is floating right over your fsmashes (use ftilt), your fighting an IC main (what is my least laggiest move?), a spot dodge spammer (up b), etc.

I'm not sure about a move discussion, but lets not rule anything out too quickly.....

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice

I agree with sasook about the Link moveset tier list thread being useless since ranking moves is just plain toon link, but discussion of moves are different. They are situational, so maybe we can discuss what moves are best for certain situations. Perhaps you need speed (dsmash), a peach player is floating right over your fsmashes (use ftilt), your fighting an IC main (what is my least laggiest move?), a spot dodge spammer (up b), etc.

I'm not sure about a move discussion, but lets not rule anything out too quickly.....
indeed, i would like to see one of these threads be created. i'd like to read up and learn more on Link although it wouldnt be as great as actually practicing, i do not have a wii.. so it makes it difficult. either way i'd support this thread going up along with the other peeps and suck up some more info :D

chandy

Smash Journeyman

I am not able to get frame data. If that is necassary to make a move discussion thread then I will be unable to make it at all. Unless sumbody else has managed to find frame data for all the moves and I can use them

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
How exactly do you get frame data anyway? What's the normal way people go about doing that?

Also, what's better for vertical recovery? Back-Air for momentum cancel or Down-Air. Arkive's video he uses back air but I see a lot of Link pros still using D-air. It feels like using D-Air makes your character model a few pixels shorter which feels like it's been saving me lately from reaching the top blast zone.

Anyone know?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
How exactly do you get frame data anyway? What's the normal way people go about doing that?

Also, what's better for vertical recovery? Back-Air for momentum cancel or Down-Air. Arkive's video he uses back air but I see a lot of Link pros still using D-air. It feels like using D-Air makes your character model a few pixels shorter which feels like it's been saving me lately from reaching the top blast zone.

Anyone know?
The way Arkive put it is this: bair has less lag after the attack (plus more maneuverability imo). So let's say you were facing ROB. ROB will most likely use his laser once he sees you're not dead. If you use dair you are wide open to the hit and will get knocked back into the blastzone, but if you use bair you have the opportunity to airdodge the laser and get back to the stage.
But as I put it, with ROB's gimping ability it probably doesn't matter if he hits you with his laser or his dair, you'll probably die anyway. :p

In regards to dair saving you: I think that what's happening is not a difference of a couple of pixels but the timing of your FF. Dair is way easier to automatically FF into, so I think you just need to work on the timing of your FF with bair.
Either that or you're DI-ing way to high up. Or you're getting hit by attacks that send you upwards anyways, in which case you should just DI left or right.

Anyone know?

you record all the moves, send the movie to a computor were you slow down the vid so you can count the frames

If I understood arkive correct bair is always the best cause the reason you want to use an aerial when sent offstage is that after its done you get your aerial movement control back, bair is the quickest therefor the best.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Me again lol

Has anyone noticed that when Link turns around in a dash, if you tilt forward and let ago, he's slide a bit in that direction. And it wont be a skid stop since there's no dust when he stops.

Old probably :'(

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Me again lol

Has anyone noticed that when Link turns around in a dash, if you tilt forward and let ago, he's slide a bit in that direction. And it wont be a skid stop since there's no dust when he stops.

Old probably :'(
That's called a dash cancel. It's pretty neat :p

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Only worth it if we have frame data.

The scariest type of falco of all. Has the potential to chaingrab but instead spams and uses combo's.

Best option. COUNTERPICK

Zezima0123

Smash Apprentice
Only worth it if we have frame data.

The scariest type of falco of all. Has the potential to chaingrab but instead spams and uses combo's.

Best option. COUNTERPICK
Nah not counterpick....
IMO I would be quick use projectals...and mindgame the boy...but who cares what I say? :p

sasook

Smash Champion
Nah not counterpick....
IMO I would be quick use projectals...and mindgame the boy...but who cares what I say? :p
I tried, believe me I tried, used every AT in my book. I'm talking bombsmashes, bombsliding, DAC, bomb DAC, pivot boosting, arrow canceling, double draw, bomb zair, ZAC.....nothing worked.

What was the name of that falco you fought sasook?
He goes by the name of Ali on smashbrawlrankings.com, I don't know if he's a member on SWF or not. He mains Ike and Falco.

Zezima0123

Smash Apprentice
I tried, believe me I tried, used every AT in my book. I'm talking bombsmashes, bombsliding, DAC, bomb DAC, pivot boosting, arrow canceling, double draw, bomb zair, ZAC.....nothing worked.

He goes by the name of Ali on smashbrawlrankings.com, I don't know if he's a member on SWF or not. He mains Ike and Falco.
Really? Wow this guy sounds tough...it tempts me to brawl him. :p
Lol his name Ali? I've heard of him....have not seen him brawl before but I know i've heard of this guy. On a number of sites too. :p

Swordplay

Smash Lord
You can't outspam a goodfalco. (Lasers and reflecter)

You can't outspace a good falco (reflecter>zair)

You can't beat a good falco in close combat (Amazing jab, quick moves, chaingrab)

Your best chance is to outmaneuver which can only be done of you properly counterpick stages.

Therefore you MUST couterpick (stage or character)

Deva

Smash Lord
Actually the zair is > than reflector, it has more range. Reflector just comes out faster. Stage cp is always your best bet, but in general, you just have to play in your shield a lot and out space him with zair and jabs. Dont let him get too close or too far away. Only stay away till your at 35%+.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
i find it funny when i fight falcos- whenever i start the match or on a new stock and i bomb myself to 40%they look at me like im stupid lol

LOL i just read ur comment sasook, me and ali are pretty good friends on sbr (one of my first friends on it) and yeah, he doesnt cg (he hates cg's he told me). He definetly knows his combos though. However, i know his worst weakness: he can be gimped easily (he is a falco after all). Learn to space with zair better against him and use bombs with zairs in hand as well. Dont projectile spam! He knows how to use that reflector well, try to find openings! Get him to try to use his b^ recovery and zair edgeguard him. Two days ago i fought him and got some amazing gimps on him so he hates me now XD he only won like 2 out of 10 matches lol.

Btw sasook, when was it you last fought ali?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom