• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Can we make it a rule that anyone who lose in a same costume ditto match has to change their color? I hate having to wear that stupid cloudy costume you have to use when your opponent has the same color on.

Actually, can we just make it so that I'm the only person that can use the gold costume? I guess Izaw can keep using it since I'll probably never play the guy, but that's it.

And no Link does not have a white costume, everyone own up and admit it's lavender. If not you fail colors. Just look:

Come on! I know you see that costume has color and is not white.
Look at the dam.n picture!

QFT

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
It's light blue... and all of you fan boys know that it's from the first LoZ when you purchase the "blue ring". now shut up.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
No. it's white. White as snow. The boots may be purple but that's it. It is white that it made to look like lav due to shading. My god. You people. Winning this debate may prove to be harder than 3 stocking metaknight.

I live in denial. I main white Link. Suck my snowy white snowballs.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
It's lavender <.<... lol XD. Neway I gotta question... Basically I luked at ur FAQ talking about bombsliding and i went to both of the links but me knowing nothing about glidetossing except from peach who's glidetossing is very easy doesn't understand how u r meant to bomb slide... All I want is too learn how to do it forwards D: can sumbody help me?

Agent Snop

Smash Ace
No. it's white. White as snow. The boots may be purple but that's it. It is white that it made to look like lav due to shading. My god. You people. Winning this debate may prove to be harder than 3 stocking metaknight.

I live in denial. I main Snow Link. Suck my snowballs.
lmao , I can't believe you say that . lmao!

sasook

Smash Champion
It's lavender <.<... lol XD. Neway I gotta question... Basically I luked at ur FAQ talking about bombsliding and i went to both of the links but me knowing nothing about glidetossing except from peach who's glidetossing is very easy doesn't understand how u r meant to bomb slide... All I want is too learn how to do it forwards D: can sumbody help me?
I named it the "glide toss" bombslide because, visually, it looks identical to a glide toss. The forward bombslide looks just like a glide toss. To do it, read that section. I won't explain it all over again, but basically:

DAC with a bomb in hand, and instead of pressing up Z, press diagonally forward Z and bring it to a horizontal position.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
I named it the "glide toss" bombslide because, visually, it looks identical to a glide toss. The forward bombslide looks just like a glide toss. To do it, read that section. I won't explain it all over again, but basically:

DAC with a bomb in hand, and instead of pressing up Z, press diagonally forward Z and bring it to a horizontal position.
But everysingle time I DAC with a bomb in hand I throw my bomb to the floor and blow up myself... Maybe I do DAC wrong but it looks perfectly fine. IS it direction>c down>z up - that's how i do it neway. I understand wat ur saying but I can't get over that I just throw the bomb at my feet <.<

sasook

Smash Champion
But everysingle time I DAC with a bomb in hand I throw my bomb to the floor and blow up myself... Maybe I do DAC wrong but it looks perfectly fine. IS it direction>c down>z up - that's how i do it neway. I understand wat ur saying but I can't get over that I just throw the bomb at my feet <.<
Make sure you have tap jump off. That reduces the chances of you throwing the bomb at your feet by A LOT.

Dash -> C-down -> forward diagonal Z to horizontal Z

You just need to practice. Don't press C-down until after you begin dashing (make sure you see Link moving, it's very hard to bombslide from a standstill like the normal DAC)

Let me say this as a general statement:

If you can learn to reverse bombslide perfectly, ALL other bombslides become easy. Reverse is the hardest to learn.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
ok thx... I'll try the tech sumtime and give u feedbak on how it goes. Thx for the instantaneous responces too ;)

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Hey Chandy. Your probably one of the few people who ever looked at the FAQ

Tell me, did you find it helpful? Is there something I can do to improve it?

EDIT: I finally added the Jab cancel question to the FAQ. Sorry for delay and my laziness.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Urgh.

My friend Goudie plays Brawl, and he mained Toon Link.
After 2 years of knowing him, he came out of the closet and got a boyfriend.

My friend Michael said "I knew Goudie was always a bit off, but I never actually thought he was actually full-on c*cksucking gay."

This is a true story too, Goudie moved to Australia recently.

Does this make any sort of statement?

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Urgh.

My friend Goudie plays Brawl, and he mained Toon Link.
After 2 years of knowing him, he came out of the closet and got a boyfriend.

My friend Michael said "I knew Goudie was always a bit off, but I never actually thought he was actually full-on c*cksucking gay."

This is a true story too, Goudie moved to Australia recently.

Does this make any sort of statement?
Statement: Gay people are people, too.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Feel free to use this if you want, Swordplay. You don't have to, i'm just offering.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6081483&postcount=141
sasook, in that section titled "false jab canceling" you wrote "There's no crouching involved in this (there can be if you really wish, but it doesn't help), it's just using the first and/or the second jab, waiting a split second, then doing any move you want."

I've always thought that pressing down before, say you do an uptilt, it will allow you to bring it out quicker. But you say that this is not true and it just as effective to just wait a bit after the second jab. Can anyone else verify this?

Museh

Smash Rookie
Really useful question and answer thread, thanks Swordplay for making it. I was wondering what the best throw to use is? Usually I just throw them behind me but should I be using another direction?

sasook

Smash Champion
sasook, in that section titled "false jab canceling" you wrote "There's no crouching involved in this (there can be if you really wish, but it doesn't help), it's just using the first and/or the second jab, waiting a split second, then doing any move you want."

I've always thought that pressing down before, say you do an uptilt, it will allow you to bring it out quicker. But you say that this is not true and it just as effective to just wait a bit after the second jab. Can anyone else verify this?
I've never found it to help, but yes, your thoughts people? I will edit it if need be.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
I've never found it to help, but yes, your thoughts people? I will edit it if need be.
I use a false jab cancel 99% of the time because I'm too lazy to crouch. It works nicely, but it doesn't always guarentee you'll get them if they immediately spotdodge. But here's where you mindgame them by charging up your Up-B/Dsmash for a little bit. It's just me, but I prefer the false jab cancel.

Unless you mean the jab lock, but even then I do the same thing.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Really useful question and answer thread, thanks Swordplay for making it. I was wondering what the best throw to use is? Usually I just throw them behind me but should I be using another direction?
All of Link's throws have their own advantages.
At low percents, I use the down throw; it helps with combos.
At mid to high percents I use the forward throw the most. It sends the opponent farther than the back throw.
If you use a fresh up throw at around 200%, its almost guaranteed to kill your opponent also.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Feel free to use this if you want, Swordplay. You don't have to, i'm just offering.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6081483&postcount=141
ADDED TY

To me it doesn't make a difference in the end. By the time you crouch cancel, the jab animation has already ended. I can finish the jab or immediately go into the U-tilt.

You can't sig your own quotes xD.
YES I CAN

So, he's gay....and he mained Toon Link you say?...
No comment.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Can someone explain to me the deal with the lack of an active matchup thread? I know Bouse doesn't have time to do it.......so is the link community just not discussing matchups?

Museh

Smash Rookie
All of Link's throws have their own advantages.
At low percents, I use the down throw; it helps with combos.
At mid to high percents I use the forward throw the most. It sends the opponent farther than the back throw.
If you use a fresh up throw at around 200%, its almost guaranteed to kill your opponent also.
That helped a lot; thanks man.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Can someone explain to me the deal with the lack of an active matchup thread? I know Bouse doesn't have time to do it.......so is the link community just not discussing matchups?
Well, Nintenjoe is "working" on getting Snake up right now on his Triforce of Courage guide, but as for active discussions on CMs..?
We don't have any of that. It's more or less rigged anyway as all the other character mainers we'll be talking to will just spam our boards with "OMGosh just hit Link off and gimp him lolol automatic 90:10 our character's favor".

D

Deleted member

To me it doesn't make a difference in the end. By the time you crouch cancel, the jab animation has already ended. I can finish the jab or immediately go into the U-tilt.]
jab canceling is faster because you crouch during the first or second jab's IASA frames and you cancel the crouch into another move.

match up threads are a joke

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
i've noticed that some of the bigger link players use the Gcube control, and i have only ever used the wii control while i've been playing Brawl.

i was wondering which control would give me a bigger advantage while using Link. i find the wiimote alot smoother because my thumb doesnt have to rocket around the control

but i would like to hear everyone elses perspectives on it, as to what will make me better with him

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Keith,
If you plan on getting competitive in the Brawl scene, a gamecube controller is practically a must-have for Link. Some of his advanced techniques require some quick controller input, and others can't even be done at all on a Wii Remote + Nunchuck.

Agent Snop

Smash Ace
Keith,
If you plan on getting competitive in the Brawl scene, a gamecube controller is practically a must-have for Link. Some of his advanced techniques require some quick controller input, and others can't even be done at all on a Wii Remote + Nunchuck.
..... like what kind of a.t. you can only do with the gamecube controller?

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
What's better to end a jab lock with supposing you've successfully unstaled all your moves with jabs and you walked them to the edge of the stage....F-Smash or Spin Attack for them to reach the horizontal blast zone? Anyone really test this one out?

One last question: Does the second hit of F-Smash have a larger knock back than the first?

What's better to end a jab lock with supposing you've successfully unstaled all your moves with jabs and you walked them to the edge of the stage....F-Smash or Spin Attack for them to reach the horizontal blast zone? Anyone really test this one out?

One last question: Does the second hit of F-Smash have a larger knock back than the first?
I say spin attack, hits lower so its harder to DI good + Its links strongest move(when fully charged)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I'm having trouble with the bomb slide, I keep doing the fake throw instead of the real one. Any tips?

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Hey Arkive, do you have to fastfall in order to momentum cancel or it ok if you just bair then jump? If you do have to fastfall, is there ever a time where it would be a bad idea to do so?
You don't have to fastfall in order to momentum cancel. The bair is the important part. But if you want the best DI; bair -> fastfall -> jump is the best. Whether you want to use your second jump immediately or save it is up to you though; it can make you very vulnerable to a gimp or edgehog.

might seem stupid, but what is momentum cancel and how do you do it?

i hardly know half of the names for the moves..
"Things You Should Know: Directional Influence" by ArkiveZero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQIy7P7RWo
Thank him for this video :p

I'm having trouble with the bomb slide, I keep doing the fake throw instead of the real one. Any tips?
It's all about your button input speed and precision. My advice is to just go into training mode and practice at different game speeds until you've got the input down. Once you can bomb slide nearly 100% of the time on a slower speed, start practicing at the game's normal speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom