• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasook

Smash Champion
I see....sorta

I mean, I don't have the reflexes to actually tap the sticks if it's not a multihit move, and even that's a stretch (I don't have the reflexes to DI out of MK's fair).

So my DI consists of:

Holding the perpendicular direction with the control stick right as/just after I'm hit

Using bair with the C-stick

Sometimes fast falling, sometimes not, depending on the situation

^Is this good or bad?

Deva

Smash Lord
That's basically perfect. Just DI normally perpendicular to the attack that sent you flying, but in most cases I'd just suggest DIing up against anything that sends you off the stage, and momentum cancel with a fast fall almost all the time. very rarely would you not use it.

sasook

Smash Champion
I see, thank you so much! I'm not confused anymore ^_^

lol, sometimes my opponents get mad at how long it takes to kill me ever since I watched Arkive's video

"dude....you just dont die OMG"

I love not being nervous at 130% anymore lol. Then again, it is wifi, so maybe their spacing got messed up or something. But I usually can't last past 150-160% anyway.

Deva

Smash Lord
I actually think Link might have the best survival DI in the game since he has the fastest forced fast fall so that would give him the best momentum cancel. . .that with being a pretty heavy character should technically make Link the hardest character in the game to kill off a blast zone right? Did the developers know this when they gave him such a ****ty recovery?? o_0

sasook

Smash Champion
You mean, when they EDITED his recovery to make it worse >_>

I miss the original trailer spin attack :(

D

Deleted member

ok let me set you guys straight on adding SDI with normal DI

say i get fsmashed by marth at 190% to the right. i SDI up before i DI normally. since i SDI'd up i star KO myself. if i SDI left, i die from the right dead zone.

please get into the habbit of holding up left/up right instead of just up.

1. you might waste your second jump
2. since you're already holding left/right once you momentum cancel you'll be able to drift torwards the stage quicker.

i really need to find a camera and film my hands

Rambo Hayabusa

Smash Apprentice
I've been using the "platform-placing of my bombs technique" :psycho: just because I want something cool to do while the opponents die and was thinking of its uses. Any ideas?

Is it faster to throw two bombs with one in hand and one on platform or is it a good way to let one cook? Maybe I should be trying to use aerials in picking them up and then throw it

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I've been using the "platform-placing of my bombs technique" :psycho: just because I want something cool to do while the opponents die and was thinking of its uses. Any ideas?

Is it faster to throw two bombs with one in hand and one on platform or is it a good way to let one cook? Maybe I should be trying to use aerials in picking them up and then throw it
I love bomb-planting. I like using it to mindgame my opponents and hopefully get them caught in the cooked bomb's blast. I'm still getting some kinks out, but bomb-plaing could be pretty cool if used correctly.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?

It's an interesting idea, except for two things I see with it:
1) The enemy will usually be on top of you before their invincibility animations wear off.
2) Your bomb will probably explode too soon to be of enough use for any good setups.

Seems situational and mostly good for inspiring fear and awe into your opponents. Though it would be hilarious to bomb plant against a character with a recovery like DDD. Plant the bomb and force DDD to UpB right onto the bomb. XD

Deva's been using the XD in most of his posts lately, just FYI. And because I like spamming.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I actually think Link might have the best survival DI in the game since he has the fastest forced fast fall so that would give him the best momentum cancel. . .that with being a pretty heavy character should technically make Link the hardest character in the game to kill off a blast zone right? Did the developers know this when they gave him such a ****ty recovery?? o_0
You know, this could possibly be the answer to Link's crap recovery! O_O Deva, you're on to something here. I mean, I've never seen an MK live that high or any other characters with good recovery. Dayum.

sasook

Smash Champion
Link is rather hard to kill with proper DI.....

O_O

Now we just need a way to make sure we live that high and don't get gimped early on.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
You know, this could possibly be the answer to Link's crap recovery! O_O Deva, you're on to something here. I mean, I've never seen an MK live that high or any other characters with good recovery. Dayum.
and yet, Snake lives to 180% or more without any DI. Ludicrous...

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Sorry for the double post, but I have a question. It's kind of unrelated to this board, but still...

Now that Oddler is gone, does anybody know of somebody who could record videos? I have a few I'd love to upload that are really good matches, but I don't know how I can get the uploaded.

EDIT: Nevermind, no double posting for me apparently!

_Saint_

Smash Apprentice
I found this in a tactical thread I was looking through -

vyse said:
– D-air Stall (Toon Link, ZSS, Shiek, G&W; any character with a similar d-air)
How to Perform: After being knocked into the air, do a Double Jump and a D-air at the exact same time.
Effect: Character will execute a D-air and get stuck in the air. Neither moving upward nor downward, the character stays at the same altitude until the D-air expires. However, you can DI horizontally during this time to influence the direction of your fall.
Video: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=BnRmDoJm0VI
The video shows a Toon Link executing the stall. Have any of you tried to do this with Link?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I found this in a tactical thread I was looking through -

The video shows a Toon Link executing the stall. Have any of you tried to do this with Link?
This is only for characters with a Stall-then-Fall dair. Link's dair does not stall, then speed up, so it is a regular dair and therefore cannot do the midair stall.
This technique only works with Stall-then-Fall attacks.

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
The only thing similar to it with Link is when you get smashed and you stop the momemtum with the Dair, but i dont think its the same

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
So about b-sticking/wave-bouncing....

I know that you can manually do this without setting your c-stick to specials. It works for the boomerang and arrows, but I was wondering if it also had the same effect for Link's up-b?

If so it could help his recovery. Maybe if you set c-stick to specials, press up on the c-stick and manually b-sticked to the left/right?

Deva

Smash Lord
ok let me set you guys straight on adding SDI with normal DI

say i get fsmashed by marth at 190% to the right. i SDI up before i DI normally. since i SDI'd up i star KO myself. if i SDI left, i die from the right dead zone.

please get into the habbit of holding up left/up right instead of just up.

1. you might waste your second jump
2. since you're already holding left/right once you momentum cancel you'll be able to drift torwards the stage quicker.

i really need to find a camera and film my hands
I'd only reccomend using proper DI if you would die otherwise. It's much safer to hold up when you get hit because

1. There's no way you'd waste your second jump since your in stun annimation and can't get out of it till you momentum cancel anyways and holding up and a direction would still make you jump based on that reasoning.

2. characters, even Link, are pretty darn floaty, and it's much more important to get higher up than closer to the stage quicker. The more heigth you have, the more options you have as you recover, and even then, the float move ratio would get you back more safely to the stage than being lower and closer. The more distance you have from the enemy, the harder it is for them to edge guard you, and the higher up you are from them as you recover, the more options you have.

This is the reason I've never been gimped by an MK in tournament. It's not becuase I'm closer to the stage after I get knocked off, it's becuase I'm so high above Mk as I recover that I have a lot more options available for my recovery. If I was closer I'd have less options and MK would have easier setups to gimp me. Just sayin, it's been workin great for me is all.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
To respond to Ich Bin, I have B reversed Link's Up B several times and didn't get much of anywhere. You have to be facing the opposite way of the stage first off, plus, the timing is redonkalous. It just sends you about a Link's sword length (blade) to some direction you choose. :/ Not that great.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys I just want your opinion on the subject of me practicing...
I don't go to many tournaments because I've been busy. The only way I can practice is with my brother who only plays Wolf and who I beat 85% of the time, or -- dare I say it -- play Wi-Fi. I hate Wi-Fi. It ruins my game so much after just a week of it. But if I only play my brother, the playstyle I use to fight him starts becoming the playstyle I use against everyone else. And that's very bad.

So what should i do? The people in my area have smashfests on Friday nights like lamers; I go out and party instead. lolz. But I guess if I want to get better, I have to sacrifice some aspects of my social life.

Enough rambling; should I just stick with casual-but-not-too-frequent Wifi, train against CPUs, or just keep owning my brother over and over? I need your help!!

D

Deleted member

i can B stick manually and its really not that useful

if you want to get better go to those smashfests, never play against cpu's and if you keep destroying your brother play wifi

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I have the same dilemma except I don't have wifi, which makes it worse lol My brother is almost as good as I am but I play him to often. Although I do see my friends a lot, so I play them. And they're good lol (Not saying my brother isn't >_>)

sasook

Smash Champion
Not really lol

C-stick to smash is better

bombsmashing
DAC
bombsliding
bomb DAC
smash out of pivot boost
momentum canceling bairs

There's probably more

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
My problem with WiFi is that it fuks up my game sooo much. I played Wi-Fi for about two weeks straight -- almost every day -- to prepare for a tournament. When that tournament finally came up, I dropped out after around 3 matches. They were opponents I KNOW i could have beaten. I couldn't jab cancel well, aerials were timed incorrectly, etc. Wi-Fi's just bad for my game. :<

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
My brother claims that link has a grab release CG on ness. I'm not sure if it's true or not as I've never used link. I'm also to lazy to test so I'm wondering "Does he have a grab release CG on ness?"

-:bowser:Bowser King

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
My problem with WiFi is that it fuks up my game sooo much. I played Wi-Fi for about two weeks straight -- almost every day -- to prepare for a tournament. When that tournament finally came up, I dropped out after around 3 matches. They were opponents I KNOW i could have beaten. I couldn't jab cancel well, aerials were timed incorrectly, etc. Wi-Fi's just bad for my game. :<
Jab Cancels offline takes more skill than online jab cancels, like in most wifi matches i have i dodnt even had to move my control stick down to cancel it lol shows how much skill wifi shows

I remember playing a cpu offline and i couldnt jab cancel for **** lol, but im fixing the problem

sasook

Smash Champion
I thought for false jab canceling (AA -> other move) you can just wait? You don't have to crouch?

I know you have to crouch for true jab canceling though (AA -> crouch -> AA -> etc.)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I thought for false jab canceling (AA -> other move) you can just wait? You don't have to crouch?

I know you have to crouch for true jab canceling though (AA -> crouch -> AA -> etc.)
You don't necessarily have to crouch; you just have to press down on the control stick right after you press A the second time. It cancels the AAA combo but saves you the frames of crouching. As in A>Hold down>A+quick release of control stick>A>Hold down>A+quick release of the control stick>grab>pummel>pummel>grab release>dsmash.

I don't know about the CG though, sorry BK.

D

Deleted member

i'm pretty sure he doesnt have a cg on ness, my brother mains ness and it never works

jab canceling is faster than waiting for the jab to end because you crouch during the IASA frames and cancel the crouch with another move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom