• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Hm.. I have another question...can Link DAC while holding a bomb?
Jump into the air and let go of the bomb right before your peak, then fastfall and catch the bomb. As soon as you hit the ground you can DAC with a bomb in hand, but its really complicated and takes a lot of time to set up.
So yes, but its not a very effective technique.

Otherwise you're talking about bombsliding, which is Sasook's territory.

sasook

Smash Champion
Hm.. I have another question...can Link DAC while holding a bomb?
Bomb Dash Attack Cancel

Learning Curve: ***
Application Difficulty: ***
Usefulness: *

Let me make a distinction right now. This is NOT the same as bombsliding. People use these terms interchangeably. This is wrong. A bomb DAC is using the DAC while holding a bomb in hand.

Sounds intriguing right? Well, it's not terribly difficult. What to do is shorthop, drop the bomb, then do a DAC. That's the standard explanation anyway. Well, that kind of explanation takes hours of practice before getting it down.

So here's what you really do. Take out a bomb first of all, and short hop. Now, don't drop the bomb until Link has reached the peak of his height. It's possible to drop the bomb while Link is still rising - don't do that. At the peak of his height with a short hop, drop the bomb. Now, as soon as you drop the bomb, fast fall. You will land before the bomb, and have about 1/4 of a second to input the DAC. Link will catch the bomb automatically while doing a DAC. This requires very fast fingers.

This move looks fancy and is rather fun, but it's not amazingly useful for the effort it requires. Even once mastered, using it in a match requires quite a bit of focus, and you won't get much reward. Getting to throw that bomb up or doing a reverse bombslide (explained soon) isn't much more damage. Still, it's unexpected.

Here's a video, at 1:24: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPdG9bGq7iE
Otherwise you're talking about bombsliding, which is Sasook's territory.
:chuckle: That part made me smile.

well I have a question, first, check this thread

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203613

now, here is the question, does this apply to Link's proyectils?
It can apply but spamming with Link isn't as easy as it is to spam with some other characters, like Toon Link, for example. Link can spam, but not in the traditional sense of button mashing like Pit or Wolf. You have to keep moving and space properly when necessary. So yes, it's possible to spam, but the thing with Link is, you may not always have to. If there's one thing that Link players are good at, it's their unpredictability.

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
It can apply but spamming with Link isn't as easy as it is to spam with some other characters, like Toon Link, for example. Link can spam, but not in the traditional sense of button mashing like Pit or Wolf. You have to keep moving and space properly when necessary. So yes, it's possible to spam, but the thing with Link is, you may not always have to. If there's one thing that Link players are good at, it's their unpredictability.
well, I didn't mean it in that way xD

I mean, about the refreshness thingy...

Every hit done refreshes all your other moves. Meaning when you use your Forward Smash, every move but your Forward Smash refreshes a little getting back their knock-back and damage. Many characters find that the Grab-Jab is the best at doing this. It's a move no one really cares about and you can get in a few in a row during a grab. Wolf for example can get a few million of these off during a single grab. However Pit has something better... ARROWS!
it seems that Pit's arrows can refresh others attacks if you use it constantly(aka Spam), however you're right, since Link can't spam in such a way it could be not so useful, but still, I think it's worth to know if this works for Link too, since we don't have so much killing moves, refresh them just a bit would be nice

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
well, I didn't mean it in that way xD

I mean, about the refreshness thingy...

it seems that Pit's arrows can refresh others attacks if you use it constantly(aka Spam), however you're right, since Link can't spam in such a way it could be not so useful, but still, I think it's worth to know if this works for Link too, since we don't have so much killing moves, refresh them just a bit would be nice
All Sasook was saying was that we really don't need to worry about move refreshing, since we have so many options for attacking and approach anyway. Although we can do it, with, say, a bomb or boomerang, it really isn't and shouldn't be necessary to our playstyles to refresh our moves by spamming.
And Link can't spam that well anyway.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
He has a decent amount of kill moves anyways. Fsmash, Utilt, Ftilt, Dsmash, second hit of Fair, up b OoS.......I never have problems with move decay. The only one that ever gives me problems is dsmash since I use it for damage racking a lot.

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
He has a decent amount of kill moves anyways. Fsmash, Utilt, Ftilt, Dsmash, second hit of Fair, up b OoS.......I never have problems with move decay. The only one that ever gives me problems is dsmash since I use it for damage racking a lot.
yeah, that's true is not like Link have a lack of killing moves, but I think most of these are pretty punishable or predictable, and I have some trouble with the Dsmash too, if it isn't fresh, most people just DI-> momentum cancel with some aerial, so I was wondering if that would help a bit, but again just wondering

thanks for the help guys =)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I try to limit the amount of times I attempt to grab with Link. Pivot grabbing is hard with Link because of his slowass run speed. Missing a grab leaves you pretty much f*****. I rarely even shield grab unless they used a horribly laggy attack because I don't ever want to risk them spotdodging.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You really shouldn't try to limit yourself. The best part about grabs is that the pummels are quick and you can easily use a B-throw or F-throw to reset your spacing. Link's grabs are quick and easily one of the best tether grabs. Of course you wouldn't risk a risky grab, which is why you use it for punishing and mindgames, not to (generally) combo into unless it's a viable option.

I grab a lot against my Marth friend who usually always use fast moves unless attempting an F-Smash. They usually always land too.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I only grab if i'm sure it will land. I've watched all of the great Link players play and only Izaw really attempts to grab a lot. All of the others limit the amount of grabbing they do.

Don't get me wrong, the range and speed makes his grab decent, but missing opens you up for those massively laggy attacks that should almost never hit(Snake fsmash, Lucas usmash, Luigi's Fire Punch).

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Nothing wrong with that. I guess on that point it's just a matter of preference. I usually grab because I know it pisses my crew members off. ;)

In a tourney scene I probably wouldn't try to so openly, but I'd still do it a lot.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I find limiting yourself is very useful. Hero, your right in the sense that grabs are great. They reset spacing and you can combo with DAC and do all sorts of sweet things.

But with Link, if you don't limit yourself you'll become predictable which can lead to missed grabs. Unfortunatly 1 missed grab can lead to like 50+ damage against any good player who is playing a decent character. If not that, then it could mean a stock loss.

(especially if you fight Ice climbers whatever you do do not try to grab the Ice climbers, it never works. Yea......you should know why too.)

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I find limiting yourself is very useful. Hero, your right in the sense that grabs are great. They reset spacing and you can combo with DAC and do all sorts of sweet things.

But with Link, if you don't limit yourself you'll become predictable which can lead to missed grabs. Unfortunatly 1 missed grab can lead to like 50+ damage against any good player who is playing a decent character. If not that, then it could mean a stock loss.

(especially if you fight Ice climbers whatever you do do not try to grab the Ice climbers, it never works. Yea......you should know why too.)
No kidding lol I hate practicing against a random comp ICs. I can't practice my grab combos. :(

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
@Swordplay: I agree wholeheartedly. This is why I don't try to do the DAC every chance I get because I know there's that chance for error, and I have been punished at times for missing with the grab so I'm working on that particular balance because I do want to grab when the option proves viable.

And of course you wouldn't try to grab the ICs. That's just silly (and a deathwish). :laugh:

sasook

Smash Champion
I approve of grabbing :chuckle:

You just gotta know how to land 'em, that's all. There's a point where, it doesn't matter what character, just as the character is about to land, they cannot dodge and they CAN be grabbed.

This applies to ALL characters. ALL characters can grab someone out of the air if timed right. ALL characters be grabbed out of the air if timed right.

There's a certain moment where, just above the ground, a character cannot airdodge because they are too close to the ground, and cannot spotdodge because they're not actually on the ground either. THIS is when you should grab. It's easier than it sounds.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace

I agree with all of this except the 50+ damage part. I know this is a knit-picky sort of thing, but low hitstun and combo DI will prevent many combos from going much over 30 or 40. Missing a grab against Falco and consider yourself as good as dead.

sasook

Smash Champion
How does one pull off a gale guard? I've tried and failed for a good 2 months now, still can't get it down. Forget in real matches, I can't even get it to be done in training mode. My timing at when exactly to throw the boomerang at the ledge (and partially aiming at the right spot) is to blame.

Any tips?

D

Deleted member

How does one pull off a gale guard? I've tried and failed for a good 2 months now, still can't get it down. Forget in real matches, I can't even get it to be done in training mode. My timing at when exactly to throw the boomerang at the ledge (and partially aiming at the right spot) is to blame.

Any tips?
time it so then you hit the lip of the ledge with the GB, learn how to hit this point every time and then start to angle it. like everything with link you have to dedicate your time to learning it lol

Legan

Smash Lord
Change your tunic to gold, change your tag to Izaw and Walah. Youll be gale guarding like a champ in no time.

PS. Question: Why do doves cry?

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
gail guard is a b****...one time i was tryin to GG and he caught it on tha way bak and flew over me...funny thing was he landed on a bunch of omb-bombs...hahaha funny ****

Finns7

Smash Ace
Doves cry.......because it gives them the only real joy they can get in life.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace

Any tips?
Practice in training mode. Jumping off the edge and throwing the gale at the side is easier than doing it while occupying the ledge, but both are possible. Just keep practicing!

D

Deleted member

i won the last tourney i went to lol

theres a mini-tourney saturday but i'm going to be playing peach and zelda because i havent played them in a tourney yet so legan is going to be repping link.....if he comes that is >_>

-Mars-

Smash Hero
How is Link's edge-stalling game?

And how does Link do against Lucario and Peach? My Sheik/Zelda never fares well against them.....but my Link does significantly better. I personally think Link does great in these matchups but how do you Link mains feel?

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
How is Link's edge-stalling game?

And how does Link do against Lucario and Peach? My Sheik/Zelda never fares well against them.....but my Link does significantly better. I personally think Link does great in these matchups but how do you Link mains feel?
Link's edge-stalling game is really good. With Zair Edgeguard, you triple the amount of invincibility frames Link gets for grabbing the ledge and Link has several great options for getting back on the stage from the ledge. Ledgehop bombs also help prolong Link's time of the ledge, and dropping down and throwing up a bomb will keep opponents at bay.

As for the match-ups, I can't say exactly. I never have played a good Peach or Lucario, (well thats a bit of a lie. I played a Lucario as Kirby in my first tournament, but honestly that told me nothing about the match-up) so I can't formulate a good opinion without studying the match-up more. I'm going to say that Zair does well against Peach's magical floating game and that good spacing will beat Lucario. Ask Deva about Peach (he plays Praxis a lot) and Phil Nye about Lucario (he mains Lucario).

sasook

Smash Champion
Lucario has a fair WoP. And his broken disjointed hitboxes are a pain, seriously, you can't spot dodge them for nuts. You need proper spacing for it, really.

Marsulas' name changed color O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom