• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

How is Link's edge-stalling game?
bad

the only thing you can do and regrab the ledge is the nair. you can ledge hop the zair but it cuts the distance in half. you won't be able pull out a bomb if your opponent is right on your nuts. but link's edge guard game is really good against people that can be edge guarded.

Lucario - this matchup is a ***** for sure. uncharged aura spheres go through the GB so try not to use it too much. i never had troubles with the roll spamming, because i could always see through it. i usually punish it with jabs to ____ if that helps you at all lol. get your DI really good or else the dair at the end of the WoP will gimp you hardcore so watch out for that. edge guarding lucario is super easy because his up b doesnt have a hitbox. if he's close to the ledge when recovering use the dbl nair, if he's far away arrow gimp him and on stages with shafty ledges, bomb drop to dair.

Peach - this match up i've never had trouble with lol. you can easily out space peach, the only moves that have range are the golf club or the dtilt. if they float above your head usmash oos, watch for the jab to grab and catch the turnips as often as you can. edge guarding peach is fairly easy because her second jump is basically worthless and the GB/arrows screw up her floating. when edge guarding peach i never go off the stage and i don't use bombs, both of those will usually end in peach recovering. her only two real kill moves are the usmash and the fair. i'll check if you can DI out of the usmash so then it never sweetspots, and the fair is easy to see coming most of the time so power shield it lol.

sasook

Smash Champion
Is there a way to TDI/SDI out of Marth's dancing blade? I can't seem to do it, possibly because I'm aiming in the wrong direction.

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
Is there a way to TDI/SDI out of Marth's dancing blade? I can't seem to do it, possibly because I'm aiming in the wrong direction.
actually, when the marth does the green part of it, and im snake, i usually TDI and then back air to shock them :laugh:

idk about any other character though

Finns7

Smash Ace
I think ther is sasook I do it against my bro offline but online its harder idk

D

Deleted member

actually, when the marth does the green part of it, and im snake, i usually TDI and then back air to shock them :laugh:

idk about any other character though
if snake can DI it link can DI it easier lol

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Could anybody give me a few tips for fighting Zelda?
Pssh, Link can camp the s*** out of Zelda. Your fsmash has more range than anything she has, her approaches are telegraphed, she can't camp back, Link can zair to keep her from getting inside.

All that being said, her OoS options are amazing. Bair OoS and usmash OoS are lethal. Never hit her shield with any kind of laggy move or you'll eat a lightning kick to the face. On smaller stages where you don't have as much room to space, she's is going to destroy you close range. Her dtilt has tons of priority and she can combo out of it, it can lock you if you don't DI properly. Naryus, dtilt, dsmash all outspeed all of your ground moves besides your jab(dsmash actually outspeeds it). Dsmash is a killer for Links recovery, so make sure you avoid the edges of the stage.

Pick a larger stage and space well, I know that's probably what you don't want to hear, but that's what you have to do against Zelda. She's really light, so at least you'll be living longer then her.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Nair everything she does and throw bombs.

Want to make things really fun?

Zac ***** zelda. You can Zac your bombs into Nairs. Outprioritize those Dins and move in to throw that bomb

Zac ***** zelda nough said.

D

Deleted member

the only bad thing about zelda is that she has a hard time approaching

good zeldas will reflect the GB while shad'ing the arrows and catching the bombs. once you're off the ledge you're ****ed because they'll let you run into the dair thus gimping yourself. din's is garbage just nair through it. oos options are fckign crazy, nayru's love will be used as a gtfo move and if they get you on a platform you're ****ed.

stay away from BF yoshi's island and any other place with platforms. LC isn't a preferred zelda stage because of the ledge gayness but if you do CP her still be careful around the platforms. i say be careful of platforms because i main zelda and i'll *** u up if i catch you on a platform, luigi style.

sasook

Smash Champion
Arkive what is your button input more exactly when you DI? is it control stick up c-stick backwards?
I have to questions arkive:
1.exactly how is your button input when you DI

2. what does <-- <-- LP mean(is it the secret DI formula)?
Up Left/Right > bair > FF

Back, Back, Low Punch - Scorpion's harpoon move on Mortal Kombat

GET OVER HERE
Here's your answer Lootic.

D

Deleted member

Arkive what is your button input more exactly when you DI? is it control stick up c-stick backwards?
i don't use smash DI whenever i'm hit anymore because i found out that it actually helps kills you at high %'s

if i'm hit to the left - i hold up right

if i'm hit to the right - i hold up left

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yoshi's Island is a horrible Zelda stage btw. I would counterpick Yoshi's Island all day vs. Zelda.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Yoshi's Island is a horrible Zelda stage btw. I would counterpick Yoshi's Island all day vs. Zelda.
I'll have to remember that next time I face you. Is it just the jagged terrain that messes up the necessary precision for her moves, does it mess up her din's fire, what?

Oh, are you still completely unable to go to any tournaments? I'm not able to go to any very soon either, but I want to be able to face you in person soon. Without really awful lag. Which I always have. :p

D

Deleted member

I'll have to remember that next time I face you. Is it just the jagged terrain that messes up the necessary precision for her moves, does it mess up her din's fire, what?
if we use farore's wind too close to the stage it catches us on the wall and we die

the terrain can either help us or hurt us while trying to sweet spot the fair or bair, so watch for that

stay off that platform! lol

-Mars-

Smash Hero

Oh, are you still completely unable to go to any tournaments? I'm not able to go to any very soon either, but I want to be able to face you in person soon. Without really awful lag. Which I always have. :p
Arkive pretty much summed it up, you can also slide off the edge if your using Dins Fire which means you die. I pretty much hate that stage.

Ya I have no rides for tournaments at the moment, i'm looking into riding the bus though lol. It would be nice to play some other smashers beside my normal opponents, expect to see my Sheik ****** at tournaments soon:).

earl.a

Smash Rookie
Help with QDA and BOMB SLIDES

Hey, i play with numchuck and wiimote. With the standard settings and shake smash on.

1. QDA: how do i quick dash attack with my set up?

2. Bomb slide: I can bomb slide forward. But i've seen vids where you can slide forward and throw the bomb UP or BACKWARDS. On occasions throwing UP or BACKWARDS happens unintentionally. I want to be able to slide the throw then bomb in all directions.

If anyone could help me out, that'd be much appreciated.
thx

sasook

Smash Champion
How to bombslide perfectly is in the FAQ in the original post of this thread. However, it's also written for a gamecube controller. Dunno what to say man, you sure you can't find an old controller lying around? Maybe buy one at Gamestop for like $10-15?

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Hey, i play with numchuck and wiimote. With the standard settings and shake smash on.

1. QDA: how do i quick dash attack with my set up?

2. Bomb slide: I can bomb slide forward. But i've seen vids where you can slide forward and throw the bomb UP or BACKWARDS. On occasions throwing UP or BACKWARDS happens unintentionally. I want to be able to slide the throw then bomb in all directions.

If anyone could help me out, that'd be much appreciated.
thx
Here ya go new guy:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205687

click.

Deva

Smash Lord
i don't use smash DI whenever i'm hit anymore because i found out that it actually helps kills you at high %'s

if i'm hit to the left - i hold up right

if i'm hit to the right - i hold up left
Darn it Arkive, stop figuring out my DI tricks >:O.

Lol, but if your already on the path of doing what works instead of what's right, I'd suggest just flat out holding up in most situations. Link needs all the vertical height he can get when he's sent out. I mean, if you got it down, use the proper DI input but sometimes it's more important to get the heigth out of the DI instead of the survival so you can recover. Unless you flat out know you'll die if you dont use perfect DI, DIing like this will give you a lot more options for recovering, aka why an MK has never gimped me in tournament =P.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Its all about timing when Im hit. Deva is right about the DI up unless your hit with a vertical attack (fox Upsmash).

Deva

Smash Lord
Basically, Arkive is really freaking good at using Proper DI with Link to the point where it's perfect. He's starting to realize that proper DI isn't always the best choice though. Like, smash DIing actually ends up killing you earlier than regular DI at really high %s. And like I was saying, a lot of the time, it's not even a good idea to use proper DI in regular DI. If the attack sends you to the right and up, dont DI up and to the left, instead just DI up, because unless you need proper DI or you'll Die, you want to get as much vertical heigth out of the DI so that you have more recovery options as Link, like pulling a bomb and throwing a rang at the stage and stuff. It's just thinking a couple steps ahead at what will really help you.

And I probably just confused Sasook even more xD.

Deva

Smash Lord
It kills you at higher percentages, like off the top and stuffz.

smash DI is better for getting out of multi hit attacks. In melee it was better for survival too, but In Brawl the regular DI is as good as the smash DI of melee, which is as good as it needs to be. Any more and it ends up hurting you at really high %s.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
It kills you at higher percentages, like off the top and stuffz.

smash DI is better for getting out of multi hit attacks. In melee it was better for survival too, but In Brawl the regular DI is as good as the smash DI of melee, which is as good as it needs to be. Any more and it ends up hurting you at really high %s.
If a double-stick DI with a momentum cancel, will I survive longer than I would with normal DI or would I die more quickly?

Like, Marth's Fsmash hits me at 150%. I normal DI up, immediately press right on the C-Stick, then momentum cancel right afterwards.

Deva

Smash Lord
You would live longer with normal DI and a momentum cancel, let's just leave it at that =P.

sasook

Smash Champion
So....smash DI is hitting the C-stick in the frames of getting hit? It's not the same as using the C-stick for momentum canceling?

Deva

Smash Lord
using the c-stick let's you smash DI or you can tap the joy stick during the frames of getting hit, your choice. c-stick make's it easier so you can input 2 different DI's with the joy stick and controls tick. Momentum cancelling is after you DI, you use an aerial and fast fall the aeril to cancel you momentum from getting hit by whatever attack sent you off the stage.

sasook

Smash Champion
So, at higher %s, tapping either, or both, stick(s) gets you killed even faster?

Deva

Smash Lord
lol, yeah, sometimes it's just better to dair so you get the auto fast fall out of it and won't forget.

and @ sasook, it depends where your being sent, but yeah, at really high %s, smash DIing will send you too far in the direction you're trying to DI to the point where it kills you, kinda like DIing G&W's f-smash from the right up and to the left. It kills you quicker than it would have if you hadn't DId at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom