• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I think a topic should be made, but it doesn't have to be. If every1 has an AIM account, we could just chat there on Saturdays/Sundays/whenever the games are and set things up. That would be pretty epic. :)

Can I be in? I mean, please can I get to play against you guys even though playing against me will be really laggy. I must go ask Izaw if he is in for a double with me then. I play blue link(even though I regularly plays white) he golden, swedish colour ftw.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Or Anonano. His Link is pretty tight XD
Thanks. The XD at the end really sums up most peoples' opinions about me.

BUT I AM IMPROVING. Right now I am undergoing the ever so traditional ZOMG(osh) JAB LOCK period, which most Link mains seem to need to go through to become true members of the boards.

I KNOW Nintenjoe and Sasook went through this too, so I feel like I'm in good company.

Oooh question Sasook:
When will you get the rest of those vids up? :chuckle:

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I dont want to contribute to spam right now so Im askin why dont we have a ffa or 2v2 Link board brawl every friday or saturday night. We could make a thread and make teams for the week and as the teams practice through the weak theyll test their skillz on the saturday or friday night and we will see what team is superior
Me and Arkive vs every body else for the first week how about it...
Uh wow, this sounds like a fun idea. Uh. I wouldn't care who I got. I have some **** Link doubles strategies.....

Link has the most At's hands down
Probably not. Diddy Kong and Ice Climbers both probably have more AT's. But Link is easily third.

I'll be putting some jab cancel questions in the FAQ soon....

sasook

Smash Champion
Oooh question Sasook:
When will you get the rest of those vids up? :chuckle:
:(:(:(:(:(:(

That's all I have. My computer ran out of space.

Let me just say this now:

Don't underestimate Anonano just because he can't do a DAC. Seriously, I learned the hard way.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
NEWS FLASH!

I'm going to get a new American version of Brawl which means that I might be able to fix wifi easier. :D Expect me in a few Link dittos in the near future.

Matt07

Smash Master
Link's worst match-up's I think are Falco, and Metaknight(?).

And Zezima do you play Runescape that name is so famous xD.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
The closest to a good matchup for Link is vs Charizard, where its around 55:45 on the Pokemon Trainer boards. But Link generally is in the really bad matchups. He's not second last on the tier list for nothing, lol.

Zezima0123

Smash Apprentice
The closest to a good matchup for Link is vs Charizard, where its around 55:45 on the Pokemon Trainer boards. But Link generally is in the really bad matchups. He's not second last on the tier list for nothing, lol.
Charizard eh? I was really thinking Bowser...slow,bad recovery,no projectals, and a big target.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
...Yea Link is so bad that I heard the SBR is thinking of moving captain falcon above Link in the tier list.

I heard it in the SMYN podcast.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
They should watch Izaw vs Rebaz. :laugh:

Oh and Sasook, I can do DAC's now. I just suck at doing them correctly. I tried a couple of Soldner Kei and failed, but I actually got one on Starfire. Wow.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I just heard we can control Bowsers trajectory on his Bowsercide? That true?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I just heard we can control Bowsers trajectory on his Bowsercide? That true?
At certain percents. If Bowser has, say, 100% damage and you have 50%, then you can influence the direction. However, if you both have 100% damage then Bowser wins.
I have video proof vs Sasook but *you* didn't upload it, lol. ;)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Captain Falcon sucks, at least Link has some defensive and spacing optioins he can work with. He has range, priority, and kill moves. He is definitely not the worst character in the game.

Legan

Smash Lord
Link and Falcon are just really bad when you compare them to other characters. Theres no point in playing link & falcon when you can play an actual good character and get better results with not even half the hassle it takes to win with the bottom tiers. Falcon is really bad though and he deserves his spot at the bottom. I think link is going to move up over time. He will never make it out of low tier though,

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Falcon has some comboability, but that is thoroughly negated by his awful priority. Link's jab cancels a grounded Falcon Kick. Link's nair cancels a flying Falcon Kick. Most things negate the Raptor Boost, the Knee has low priority, all of his smashes are really slow, he has a lot of lag after most of his attacks, and then none of them have any decent priority except for the all-too-slow smashes and Falcon Paunch. Falcon is dead last, unfortunately. But he will make you "Show me your moves!" so it doesn't matter that he is bottom tier. Falcon for President!

D

Deleted member

wow, link is definitely not the worst in the game, ganon, PT, CF and sonic are all below him, don't give me that bull****. you link mains need to get some balls and stop QQ'ing like the luigi boards about how low you are on the tier list. if me legan deva or izaw have taught you anything its that you CAN wreck with link, you just need to man up.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Sonic has speed. and combo's. If you have ever played a good sonic he is all over the place and you can barely hit him.

PT has 3 pokemon so he can manage them and use each pokemon's advantages and disadvantages to try to play on matchups

The 3 Worst characters are Captain Falcon and Link and Ganon

Now Ganon has tech chasing at least.
Link has some combo's and bad projectiles.
Captain Falcon has some speed.

What would you rather have?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Sonic is easily above Link. He actually gives a lot of characters tons of trouble. His cancelled ASC's and his speed make him so difficult to predict. He is fantastic at baiting and punishing. He also has the god tier recovery and can gimp multiple characters.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I think he'll place at the bottom of the tier list. Then, I'll have a guide for the worst character in the game! :D

If he doesn't place on the bottom, it will be Ganon or Falcon.

D

Deleted member

Sonic has speed. and combo's. If you have ever played a good sonic he is all over the place and you can barely hit him.
yea if you have terrible aim, sonic has a terrible time trying to approach link. he also has like 3 kill moves and they all suck. i've played beast sonic's and i never had trouble against them

PT has 3 pokemon so he can manage them and use each pokemon's advantages and disadvantages to try to play on matchups
squirtle is bad, Ivysaur has the bullet seed but you can just DI out of that, and charizard is worse than squirtle. PT is balls

Link has some combo's and bad projectiles..
no

Zezima0123

Smash Apprentice
A good bowser ***** a good link im afraid. A great link can beat a good bowser. A great bowser is hell.
Yup, i just learned that the hard way. Bowser has some good grap tactics and combo's he can perform with. I'm actully thinking that DK could be a easy match up. Easier then agianst Bowser. But then agian what your saying is a good point. I could be wrong..

PK Webb

Smash Champion
my lil brother wants to learn how to zair properly because when he does it, it goes over the opponents head or he hits the floor before the 2 hits connect. so how does he get the 2 hits. im sure this has already been answered but im too lazy to search all 35 pages :)

ps- what is links most useful projectile or i should say which 1 should be used the most

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
EDIT: Lol at Lootic. Lag ftw!

my lil brother wants to learn how to zair properly because when he does it, it goes over the opponents head or he hits the floor before the 2 hits connect. so how does he get the 2 hits. im sure this has already been answered but im too lazy to search all 35 pages :)

ps- what is links most useful projectile or i should say which 1 should be used the most
Zairing is really all about the timing. If you are facing smaller character like Pikachu and Squirtle, you'll never get both hits in--focus instead on getting in one hit and immediately running for a grab. On medium and large characters it is all about the timing. Short hop, then towards the peak of your jump hit Z. You'll get the exact timing eventually.

Link's most useful projectile is da Bomb.
You can bombsmash, zair with a bomb in hand, reverse bombslide, set up combos, edgeguard, bomb DAC, perform aerials with a bomb in hand, stop chaingrabs, aid your recovery, block off avenues of attack for opponents, and much more!
The second most useful is the boomerang. It can be used to galeguard, can become the phantom boomerang, and trip opponents to set up a jab lock.
The arrows are his least useful, but you can occasionally surprise an opponent with a full hopped fair to quickdraw.

You probably don't know what the heck I'm talking about, so head over to Sasook's A Beginner's Guide- The Basics of Link and Nintenjoe's Triforce of Courage-- An Advanced Guide.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
No I what your sayin no he doesn't i can perform his AT's i just don't main him my brother just needs help gettin started but idk where to start him of at. But that was helpful thanks

PokemonMaster

Smash Cadet
is there anyway to try to break off after getting grabbed and their just hitting you with their fist or elbow?

I end up getting grabbed at 120%, and they just hit me like 6-8 times. and I just can't seem to get out.

D

Deleted member

is there anyway to try to break off after getting grabbed and their just hitting you with their fist or elbow?

I end up getting grabbed at 120%, and they just hit me like 6-8 times. and I just can't seem to get out.
the higher % you have the longer it takes you to break out of grabs. if you mash all the buttons at once it helps but i still think you'll get hit like 5 times.

4Serial

Smash Lord
mash buttons like crazy

some people will say to rotate the control stick and c-stick like crazy because 4 directions = 4 inputs per rotation. I tried using this way for a while, but it wasn't working very well for me.

RaynEx taught me to slide my right thumb across y, x, a, b, and then onto the c-stick. back and forth. While rotating the control stick.

If you do it fast, you can break out of the grab if they try to hit you once under around 30%. if they hit twice, you can get out at like 50%-60%. At around 120%, they can probably hit you 5 or 6 times.. 120% is a lot..

wow wtf arkive

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Me thinks t3h SBR is full of tards who don't know how much **** Link is. lol

Nah but as far as 2v2 goes, Ritch and I will be more than glad to shove some bombs & blades in uncomfortable places. :D

sasook

Smash Champion
Zairing is really all about the timing. If you are facing smaller character like Pikachu and Squirtle, you'll never get both hits in--focus instead on getting in one hit and immediately running for a grab. On medium and large characters it is all about the timing. Short hop, then towards the peak of your jump hit Z. You'll get the exact timing eventually.
To add to this, sometimes when first learning how to SH zair, don't SH straight up. SH while moving either forwards or backwards. It's a little more helpful since it *sort of* allows a bit more time for the zair to come out.

Link's most useful projectile is da Bomb.
You can bombsmash, zair with a bomb in hand, reverse bombslide, set up combos, edgeguard, bomb DAC, perform aerials with a bomb in hand, stop chaingrabs, aid your recovery, block off avenues of attack for opponents, and much more!
^this

The second most useful is the boomerang. It can be used to galeguard, can become the phantom boomerang, and trip opponents to set up a jab lock.
Also, the boomerang is probably the best spacing tool next to the zair.

The arrows are his least useful, but you can occasionally surprise an opponent with a full hopped fair to quickdraw.
Arrow gimps sometimes work, and arrow canceling out of knockback is always surprising. But yeah, they're not TOO useful.

No I what your sayin no he doesn't i can perform his AT's i just don't main him my brother just needs help gettin started but idk where to start him of at. But that was helpful thanks
If you don't know where he should get started, have him read my guide. Thoroughly, no skimming. Have him practice everything, and when he really feels like he has a strong hold on everything and can do the AT's in matches, have him head over to NintenJoe's advanced guide.

Let me tell you, NintenJoe's guide is freakin' long. But if he reads thorougly, and learn to apply stuff, I can guarantee your brother will be a pretty good Link.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
If you don't know where he should get started, have him read my guide. Thoroughly, no skimming. Have him practice everything, and when he really feels like he has a strong hold on everything and can do the AT's in matches, have him head over to NintenJoe's advanced guide.

Let me tell you, NintenJoe's guide is freakin' long. But if he reads thorougly, and learn to apply stuff, I can guarantee your brother will be a pretty good Link.
This is what I was trying to get at in the end of my post. Have your brother read the guides-- they are a huge help and are really the best way to learn to play an effective Link.
Otherwise Link sucks really, really bad because he has no good offensive, defensive or recovery options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom