• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, but I think this sums up this thread:

-Some1 makes tier list <- ---
- debate on why ppl are where l
-debate certain character's placement l
- Another Tier list l
- Argue about Yoshi------------------------

Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

@ SnowStalkers list- Oli and Wario should be switched, IMO.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
tier list
Most important thing to note: Lucario is in high. No question about it. He has the tournament records to make his case.

Secondly, if Yoshi is going to be the top of low, you better have a serious argument on how Yoshi is above Peach, Sonic and Samus. They all can approach better than he can, can combo just as well if not better than he can, have MANY more defensive capabilities than him, they can punish better than he can, have just as much potential as him, and they all have better tournament results than he does.

Everyone needs to face the facts that Yoshi will NOT be middle tier or even high low. At best, he will be above Ike but thats only with better tournament results.

(BTW, Samus is mid-low tier at least. Read the weekly character discussion in the Samus forum to see my point.

goodkid

Smash Lord
I can already tell, no one will be satisfied with Brawl Tiers. Too many chars, different experiences, the game has only been out since March 08.

But I'm sure everyone agrees with:
Meta Knight
Snake

gallax

Smash Hero
i agree mostly with this tier list. the one thing that stands out is wolf. although he has little combo ability and horrible recovery, he can challenge most of the characteres in the game. there is a wolf player here in florida and he has proven on mayn occasions that he can beat the best snake and MK in our state with wolf. he is underused right now. move him up to below wario and you have yourself a good tier list. other than CF should be higher than ganon.

Browny

Smash Hater
ROB for #3 imo

sure G&W has his lol smash attacks, but if ROB REALLY wants to win, he just needs to ledgecamp the entire game. G&W doesnt force approaches, and even his recovery has limits. and Marth just dies too easily. 90% snake utilt KO is a joke

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
God:

Meta Knight
Snake

Top:

Mr. Game & Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B
King Dedede

High:

Captian Olimar
Wario
Toon Link
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Kirby
Lucario
Zelda
Pit
Wolf

Middle:

Ice Climbers
Fox
Diddy Kong
Luigi
Lucas
Zero Suit Samus
Ness
Mario
Bowser

Low:

Peach
Yoshi
Sonic
Pokemon Trainer
Shiek
Ike

Bottom:

Samus
Link
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Captian Falcon
Pokemon Trainer is too low, he needs to at least be in mid above Ness. Mario is too low, he needs to at least be above Ness. Fox needs to move down below Mario. Donkey Kong is not above Pikachu. Wolf is not higher than Ice Climbers. The rest is ok but it needs a lot more organization and revision.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
yeah but its not going to happen.

Hmmmaybe a soft ban like they do to Akuma in Japan. >_>

I should stop dreaming.
Soft bans in the US?! Lol, the only reason it works is because Japanese culture is different, believe me, if I was a high-leveled SF2 turbo player in Japan, I'd play Akuma... and my secondary would be Old Sagat. I think most high-leveled American players consider soft bans a squishy rule and just wouldn't adhere to them.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Maybe that would work if we had tier list of some kind but there isn't even an official tier list yet, hold your horses, be patient!

AlexX

Smash Ace
But I'm sure everyone agrees with:
Meta Knight
Snake
Top:
Snake
MK
G&W
ROB
Falco
Dedede

Not in any real order, but I really fail to see how Snake and MK are so much better than the rest of the top-tiers as well as the high-tiers like Marth and Olimar to the point where it constitutes their own personal tier. Snake and MK aren't the only ones who destroy the lower tiers, nor are they the only ones capable of KO-ing below 100%.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Top:
Snake
MK
G&W
ROB
Falco
Dedede

Not in any real order, but I really fail to see how Snake and MK are so much better than the rest of the top-tiers as well as the high-tiers like Marth and Olimar to the point where it constitutes their own personal tier. Snake and MK aren't the only ones who destroy the lower tiers, nor are they the only ones capable of KO-ing below 100%.
Because of their absolute dominance of tournaments.

And MK DOES destroy the rest of the cast that hard.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
List of characters that are high tier material but find themselves all over the place:

Diddy Kong
Toon Link
Lucas
Mario
Luigi

List of high characters who always seem to seem to keep themselves in a solid area:

Marth
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Falco
G&W
ROB
Pikachu
Lucario
Olimar
Pit

Undisputed gods of Brawl:

Snake
Meta Knight

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I think Brawl has four tiers.

I think the tier lists people are putting forth for Brawl are putting too many characters leagues below their peers. That is, there are tier gaps between characters that aren't that much different. I see lots of the weaker Brawl characters as near equals. There, is though, a pretty big gap between MK and snake and the rest of the cast.

Here's my edit of Snowstalker's tier list, without making any order changes
( i agree with some of the suggestions put forth, and have some of my own, but i'm just trying to make a point here.)
Top:

Meta Knight
Snake

High:

Mr. Game & Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B
King Dedede
Captian Olimar
Wario

Mid:
Toon Link
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Kirby
Lucario
Zelda
Pit
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Fox
Diddy Kong
Luigi
Lucas
Zero Suit Samus
Ness
Mario
Bowser
Peach
Yoshi
Sonic
Pokemon Trainer
Shiek

Low:
Ike
Samus
Link
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Captian Falcon
Yes, that's a really fat mid tier. But a tier means a level plane, that is below or above other level planes. Those characters are all relatively equal. Yoshi is not a full gap behind Toon Link, or Zelda. Neither is Peach. I wouldn't say Sonic is either.

Don't disagree with me on the finer points of this example, but disagree on this point: I think Brawl has four tiers. I think the biggest tier is the third one, i think the smallest is the top one.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Everyone(that isn't a n00b) knows that the top tier looks something like this

Top Tier

Snake
MK(IMO both are tied)

DDD
Falco
G&W
ROB
Marth

the last 5 are pretty **** close IMO, but I ordered them from my personal experience.

KingK

Smash Apprentice
I think the tier lists people are putting forth for Brawl are putting too many characters leagues below their peers. That is, there are tier gaps between characters that aren't that much different. I see lots of the weaker Brawl characters as near equals. There, is though, a pretty big gap between MK and snake and the rest of the cast.

Here's my edit of Snowstalker's tier list, without making any order changes
( i agree with some of the suggestions put forth, and have some of my own, but i'm just trying to make a point here.)

Yes, that's a really fat mid tier. But a tier means a level plane, that is below or above other level planes. Those characters are all relatively equal. Yoshi is not a full gap behind Toon Link, or Zelda. Neither is Peach. I wouldn't say Sonic is either.

Don't disagree with me on the finer points of this example, but disagree on this point: I think Brawl has four tiers. I think the biggest tier is the third one, i think the smallest is the top one.
This is an interesting point.

KingK

Smash Apprentice
List of characters that are high tier material but find themselves all over the place:

Diddy Kong
Toon Link
Lucas
Mario
Luigi

List of high characters who always seem to seem to keep themselves in a solid area:

Marth
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Falco
G&W
ROB
Pikachu
Lucario
Olimar
Pit

Snake
Meta Knight
I mostly agree with this but....Mario as high tier material?

LuigiKing

Smash Lord

Diddy Kong
Toon Link
Lucas
Mario
Luigi

Marth
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Falco
G&W
ROB
Pikachu
Lucario
Olimar
Pit

Snake
Meta Knight
Most intellegent post in a long time. Gratz. Only problem I see on the list there is Mario, but even then I think he has potential... Luigi and Lucas I think are the biggest on that list, partially biased towards Luigi ^_^ Point being I can see Luigi and Lucas making high tier once they get the tourny results. Moveset wise, they're golden.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party

Diddy Kong
Toon Link
Lucas
Mario
Luigi

Marth
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Falco
G&W
ROB
Pikachu
Lucario
Olimar
Pit

Snake
Meta Knight
Most intelligent post, I've seen here so far. However TL belongs imo into the same "place" as Marth, Wolf et al

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
JJ, I'd add that DK is a character who consistantly seems to be up there.
And Mario is not high tier material, and never will be. Luigi's pushing it a little but I'lll roll with it. Diddy Kong, Toon Link and Lucas I can agree with, but Mario is mid tier at the very most.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Unfortunately TL does not have the tournament results to back up that statement.
Neither does Pikachu... and look where Judge Judy placed him... (for the record I think people give pika and TL too much credit)

I also think the judge is baised towards Mario and Luigi... They are mid tier material imo

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Yes, but G&W kills so early that doesn't matter half as much. (@popsofctwon)

Also MK>Snake. Snake can be put in a disadvantaged position, MK can't. Snake has bad matchups, MK doesn't. Snake and DK go even with MK, people saying otherwise just WANT MK to have a bad matchup.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but G&W kills so early that doesn't matter half as much. (@popsofctwon)

Also MK>Snake. Snake can be put in a disadvantaged position, MK can't. Snake has bad matchups, MK doesn't. Snake and DK go even with MK, people saying otherwise just WANT MK to have a bad matchup.
Whistling a different tune than before I see, lol. What changed your mind?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
the longer someone plays brawl, the more they see really really good players play, the more they realize that MK is broken and Snake is not.

@mydumbcomment about rob v. G&W.
I'm just being spiteful, i hate G&W because he knocks me out of tournaments... and he kills me so early...

Izzhov

Smash Cadet
Um, guys, DK has an advantage over MK. I'll agree that MK > Snake overall, but MK definitely has at least one bad match-up.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
How does dk have anything over MK? How many quick moves does he have that outprioritize mach tornado?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Um, guys, DK has an advantage over MK. I'll agree that MK > Snake overall, but MK definitely has at least one bad match-up.
How exactly does DK have an advantage over MK. I agree that DK "doesn't get ***** by MK," but that's far from having an advantage in the matchup.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I don't believe, that DK has an advantage over MK. Otherwise he'd win every tournament, since he's supposed to be good against Snake AND MK, who are abundant in tourneys.

I agree though that MK is more broken than Snake. I see many claimings about certain characters having advantages over Snake. The problem is, that nobody gets the chance to proove that, since nobody dares to use a character like that (why? Because MK ***** them...) in competitive gaming.

I suppose that Snake wouldn't be so overused, if MK wouldn't be in this game. But as far as I can see, Snake is MK's only bad match-up, so Snake is the only alternative to MK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom