• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Wow tier list discussion talking about religious stuff.....

also just a side note i thin lucario and pika should be right by each other, because they both have similar potential.
How exactly does Pika = Lucario? They aren't remotely similar characters.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
He isn't saying the charachters were similar, but their potential.

Also: lolfunny
I know that. He said that they were equivalent in potential, which seems a kind of random distinction to make. One might say Lucas and Ness belong together (I'm not saying that necessarily, just that it's an argument that gets made), but sticking Pikachu and Lucario together seems rather random.

Also, that was indeed lolfunny.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I don't know why this thread is still stickied, what with the official tier thread to talk in about this stuff instead.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey SamuraiPanda, why isn't the SBR tier list thread in the tactical forums where it belongs?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well... then why is this thread in the tactical forum, and not the general discussion forum? lol

Polish Rifle

Smash Cadet
What if i disagree with the Sacred Seven? I think Olimar should be just above ROB, and that Diddy should be just above Dedede.

Olimar's matchup spread is really really good. He's a counterpick to Snake, Snakes will concede it. Some say he's a counter to G&W, some says he's not, either way, he plays a tough game against the second and third best characters in the game. He does more or less neutral against the rest of the characters in high. Except he counters Dedede very very well.

He's also very similar to G&W in that when he plays mid and low tiers, he wins by landslides. Olimar and Game & Watch both have many matchups where the advantage is so huge that they don't even have to think.

One reason why is that a HUGE proportion of the characters in this game like to hit shields with retreating aerials. Olimar can grab tons of those (it's usually a bair). Off the top of my head, i think he grabs Wolf's, G&W's, DK's, Sheik's, probably any of luigi's, Kirby's, Dedede's, CF's knee.. it's probably faster to name who can manage to go in the air, hit his shield, land, and not get grabbed. Probably just Wario, Jiggs, Yoshi, Ness maybe, and a few i can't think of. Anyway, many of these characters have to change strategies completely, while fending off the best spam in the game (arguably in competition with Tink's), and trying to get in and hit one of the best defensive characters in the game.

Olimar's most popularly called-upon weakness is eroding quickly, that is, bad recovery. Olimar has never had bad horizontal recovery, because he's floaty, his problem was getting the vertical he needed. I think Olimar's recovery problems were exaggerated early in the game, when the usual response to an fsmash is DI in the opposite horizontal direction from the move (left for a right fsmash). I would love if that was still the most popular response, but now everyone DIs upwards. He pretty much uses the force of the hit to get him high enough in the air that his vertical recovery issue doesn't kick in.

Even if he does get stuck needing to use his tether recovery, half the time he has a purple (if it's not next in the lineup, he can empty bair or throw to get to it). Purple's knock off edgehoggers. If you get off the ledge when you see it coming, he'll grab the edge.

And if he doesn't have a purple, he'll have a white. You'll kill him allright, but you have to stay on that ledge for a pretty long time to hog him. He'll throw a white on your back, usually with a red or yellow to keep it company, and you have to take double digit damage in exchange for the edgehog.

His longevity is also improved by more advanced usages of the whistle. If he gets to 140% or so, he just starts whistling your fsmashes and other hits. It gives instant super armor. It doesn't make him invincible, but he basically gets enhanced spotdodging/shielding/airdodging abilities when he's at such a high percent he knows you can kill him with anything.

As you should all know already too, he has a strong air game, forced downthrow combos, a fast uptilt that outprioritizes Wolf's fsmash and most any other non-disjoint move. And he has one of those fast, strong, beast downsmashes.

Diddy: I dunno i just think he's a good character. I can't really back this one up so i'll let it go.

Really enjoyed the Olimar post. I'm almost not looking forward to the day when Olimar makes it into the sacred seven because I'm having fun being the only Olimar player in my parts.

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
If testing is neede, I will volunteer. So far, my plan is to play Lv 9s against each other, with no items on the approved stage lists. Or is that a waste of time?

Discuss.

gamegeek27

Smash Rookie
olimar deserves high tier at least, cause from what i see his aerials are awesome, he's fast and his pikmin give him great power. the only bad thing about him is his recovery sucks.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
olimar deserves high tier at least, cause from what i see his aerials are awesome, he's fast and his pikmin give him great power. the only bad thing about him is his recovery sucks.
Nice 3 month bump.
Theres the official tier list thread for this..

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
GOD:

Meta Knight

TOO OBVIOUS.

TOP:

Snake
Mr. Game & Watch
King Dedede
Falco
Marth
Wario
ROB

Yes, I'm serious about Wario being above R.O.B, let alone being in Top. He has the 3rd best tourney results by a long shot. It isn't bias, cuz I don't really like him.

HIGH:

Lucario
Olimar
Kirby
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Toon Link

Not much to say here, but Olimar might be a bit high.

MIDDLE:

Zelda
Pit
Peach
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Ness
Bowser
Fox
Lucas
Mario
Sheik

Yeah, I think that Princess Toadstool is high-mid material.

LOW:

Yoshi
Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Sonic
Samus
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf

I moved Ganon above Link after playing with the King of Evil a little bit.

BOTTOM:

Link
Captian Falcon

Poor Captian Falcon. He still rules, though.

After playing with Ganon a bit, you decided to move him up?

Nice common sense.

AndreVeloso

Smash Apprentice
Fox, Falco, Sonic, Mario, Luigi, Wolf, Metaknight, Peach, Marth, and Pit are definatly high on the tier list.

Shiek, Pokemon Trainer, Link, Olimar, Kirby, Dedede,Jiggly, Falcon, Snake,Ike,Toon Link, Yoshi, Diddy,IC's, and Rob seem to be in the middle of the tier list.

Donkey Kong, Zelda,Ness, Lucas, Lucario, Bowser,Game and Watch,Ike, Wario, and Ganon seem to be on the southern half of the tier list this time around.

The lists I gave are in no order, and are just what I think an image of the first tier list will actually be like.
Oh how wrong this was

Sky`

Smash Lord
I'm not sure about GaW anymore.
Though his moves are totally exploitable, and they are very very very very good...
It might be that GaW is a sinking ship, in that his Metagame is becoming stale, and somewhat obsolete, and I hope that it doesn't move him down on the tier list.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
Though his moves are totally exploitable, and they are very very very very good...
It might be that GaW is a sinking ship, in that his Metagame is becoming stale, and somewhat obsolete, and I hope that it doesn't move him down on the tier list.
he's still good. he just has a very simple playstyle and you need to be good at reading your opponent to be successful with him

gantrain05

Smash Master
its so true Gdubs is lamesauce, his entire strategy is just a spam to win style play, i can't really think of another character besides MK who can really just throw out moves knowing they won't be punished, G&W is just like, Bair Bair Bair Bair Nair Nair Nair Nair, DSMASH to K.O., UpB whenever he gets himself in a bad situation, repeat.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well, both MK and GaW are characters who have rather simple playstyles, and their metagames kinda stagnated. It's good that already 2 characters are this far.
GaW is a very good character, and I doubt he'll leave the higher tiers anytime soon.

Then123

Smash Cadet
I'm glad Pikachu is high, could be much higher though.
Some day I will show them.. I will show them ALL! :'D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom