• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snail

Smash Lord
Wario needs to be moved down seriously, why is no-one taking into account all the grab release ****? Ness and Lucas get infinited by 1 and a third characters and they get put down atleast a tier, Wario gets infinited by three regular characters, eight I think if he has no double jump and atleast half the cast get a free hit off it and he doesn't get moved down at ALL!?
He's still third in tournament results, behind Snake. If grab releases really crippled him that much, I'd think it would be visible in his tournament results. Apparently it doesn't really matter all that much :/

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Wario needs to be moved down seriously, why is no-one taking into account all the grab release ****? Ness and Lucas get infinited by 1 and a third characters and they get put down atleast a tier, Wario gets infinited by three regular characters, eight I think if he has no double jump and atleast half the cast get a free hit off it and he doesn't get moved down at ALL!?
Ness and Lucas are low for other reasons.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Ness and Lucas are low for other reasons.
I like your specificness. BEFORE THE GRAB RELEASE, NESS AND LUCAS WERE BOTTOM OF HIGH on most tier lists, you can look back and check. What I don't get is if people use the mentality when talking aobut NEss in tournament 'Just Pick Marth', why do they not use the same mentality on Wario with Yoshi or ZSS!?

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
I like your specificness. BEFORE THE GRAB RELEASE, NESS AND LUCAS WERE BOTTOM OF HIGH on most tier lists, you can look back and check. What I don't get is if people use the mentality when talking aobut NEss in tournament 'Just Pick Marth', why do they not use the same mentality on Wario with Yoshi or ZSS!?
There has only been one official tier list. Whatever random people decided to do with Ness and Lucas doesn't show anything about their movement relative to the grab release.

Even without them, I can't imagine putting them anywhere above bottom of mid. I don't think the grab release is that much of a factor. Donkey Kong and Wario both get utterly ***** by grab shenanigans, and both are still quite high. I don't consider that a grab release would drop characters a tier....

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Anywhere above bottom mid is unimaginable? You look at Ness and Lucas and they clearly are better then all of low and the vast majority of middle, if not all, and yet whenever they are put low, the reasoning is always the grab release. If it is so easy to counterpick Ness and Lucas, the same mentality should be applied to all characters infinited, all of DDD's infinited characters, Fox from Shiek, ZSS etc (though these are harder to get in), you get the idea. If reasoning is applied to one character and not to another, that will cause imbalance in the tier list.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Anywhere above bottom mid is unimaginable? You look at Ness and Lucas and they clearly are better then all of low and the vast majority of middle, if not all, and yet whenever they are put low, the reasoning is always the grab release. If it is so easy to counterpick Ness and Lucas, the same mentality should be applied to all characters infinited, all of DDD's infinited characters, Fox from Shiek, ZSS etc (though these are harder to get in), you get the idea. If reasoning is applied to one character and not to another, that will cause imbalance in the tier list.
Not better than yoshi.

Straight up.

sniperfire

Smash Cadet
Behind you...with a Machine Gun.....and a Bomb.
Play Unit 721(on nintendohub)
Word on the street is his wario is dangerously beast

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers are top tier! They're the only character Ice Climbers can't infinite!

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Umm wow... But IC's can't grab anyone because they have like the smallest grab range.
Oh yeah, I always forget how bad the grab game of the guys that can kill anyone but themselves from 0% is.

It would be amazing if you grab both enemy Ice Climbers with both of your Ice Climbers and then switch
That...doesn't....work?
Just content yourself with infiniting SoPo.

D

Deleted member

Lucas is low tier. Most lucas mains admit it. Ness should be upperish mid tier i think, hes really good, crazy fair.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Ness is good amounts better than Lucas. Fair isn't the only reason but it's a very good one

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, I always forget how bad the grab game of the guys that can kill anyone but themselves from 0% is.
one thng, good moves on their own is not hat constitutes good aerial game, ground game ,grab game etc etc.

It is how well they can be put to use.

For example Ganondorf has really nice aerials.
Uair has a nicely sized hitbox, is fast and powerful. his Bair is fast and strong. Dair spikes.
Nair hits twice and has good range.

But his aerial game is poor.

Just because the IC's can CG someone and kill doesn't consitute a good grabgame.

DDD doesn't have a great grabgame just ebcause he can CG. it is because of how he can land the Cg and what he can do after wards.

Same for Falco and the IC's whod espite having small grab range, have several methods of landing the grab. Several of which take advantage of the strong defense options.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
being able to do great damage from one grab = not having a good grab game?

protip: being able to do great damage from one grab allows some sort of spacing control because it forces the opponents to have to be able to get around the grabs. ic's, ddd, and falco strike fear into opponents coming into close range because they don't want to get grabbed. this allows them to up the ante in longer range spacing, while controlling whatever happens in close range. that, IMO, is a good grab game

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Falco also has some Pivot stuff, which makes his grabs more usable than ICs. And lol King Dededes grab game is so F***ing insane. That range is just sick and one "hit"+bthrow are free ~20% dmg

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman

protip: being able to do great damage from one grab allows some sort of spacing control because it forces the opponents to have to be able to get around the grabs. ic's, ddd, and falco strike fear into opponents coming into close range because they don't want to get grabbed. this allows them to up the ante in longer range spacing, while controlling whatever happens in close range. that, IMO, is a good grab game
Choknater knows his grab games. :)

Dedede can get get a grab relatively easily and do a good deal of damage off of it. ICs have more touble getting a grab, but (assuming the player is good), the fact that one grab doesn't mean 20 or 30 or 40 damage but instead an entire stock, that makes their grab something to be feared. You can slip up and get grabbed by DDD and still come back. You want to be very careful not to make that mistake against ICs.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yup. what other characters have against IC's is spacing ability.

sure, if you're playing against DDD or kirby or olimar or something who have really good shield grabs... "don't get grabbed" might not be totally possible

however IC's have a very short grab range and they must be together to perform 0-death cg's. this is why characters with superior range and spacing tactics can easily beat IC's. G&W and Snake are prime examples.

ic's have a short grab range... but an amazing grab game because of their cg's and combos to come out of those grabs, providing match control in the close range

:093:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

Not true because under such logic falcon punch and warlock punch would all be considered good moves.

DDD has nasty grab range even though he doesn't really setup into them easily, he has a much better time getting a grab due to the large grab range.

Falco has his aerials, laser, reflector for helping him setup grabs as well.

IC's also have setups.

Just doing great damage is a poor reason.

The opponent doesn't fear the CG they fear the fact that the IC's can setup into a CG reliably.

The IC's don't have a great grab game just because they can take a stock off a single grab, its because they can land that grab reliably along with what they do afterwards.

Yeah its really nice that Dk can kill with a 9 wind DK Punch at below 70%, but it wouldn't mean anything if the move came out as quickly as Ganon's Utilt.

hell the main reason that Marth's Side B is so much better is because he can use it reliably while in melee, the thing was seldom used despite the fact it could cause a good amount of damage when used.

Don't give protips either since it gives one the appearance of being condescending when clearly there is no need to be.

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
Don't give protips either since it gives one the appearance of being condescending when clearly there is no need to be.

Originally Posted by Memphischains
I bet if every "good" sonic came together and did the fusion dance all at the same time we would still suck
Number of unintelligent responses:1,937
lolz

10condescendinglolz

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
Number of unintelligent responses:1,937
10morelolz?

EDIT: regardless of your signature, i've seen you be pretty condescending pretty often. your signature was just the easiest thing for me to quote mine.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
10morelolz?

EDIT: regardless of your signature, i've seen you be pretty condescending pretty often. your signature was just the easiest thing for me to quote mine.
Its not hard to point out a response that is stupid.

For example my favorite response from a debate was

"All life is sacred therefore to have an abortion is the equivalent to the murder of another human being".

Is that not a foolish response?
Or my favorite

"Sonic has no approaches so just needle camp him".

Now there are two moer things.

1. I did not accuse choknater of being condescending.
2. Bring up the posts where I was being condescending please and I shall address them.

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
no thanks, not that important to me :)

just thought i'd point it out. also, one last lol at calling someone's opinion, based off of their religious beliefs most likely, on a controversial issue, a stupid response. and then telling us that's not condescending! i'm not religious btw.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
no thanks, not that important to me :)

just thought i'd point it out. also, one last lol at calling someone's opinion, based off of their religious beliefs most likely, on a controversial issue, a stupid response. and then telling us that's not condescending! i'm not religious btw.
Really?
I'll explain to you why it is stupid then.

"All life is sacred therefore to have an abortion is the equivalent to the murder of another human being"

For one if we take it literally then the person themselves should stop living because their own behavior results in the deaths of thousands of germs.

Which means no doctors, no eating, no nothing.
I find that funny.

Seriously though, for one basing ones opinion purely on religion is stupid. The main reason for this is because religion is inconsistent in its teachings. So to say all life is sacred based one ones religion, contradicts several other teachings of that respective religion.

Not only that the classification of murder from a religion may differ from the classification we use.
Much like the argument against homosexuality that is popularly used.

So saying that is the equivalent of saying "Because I said so" which is also stupid.

Tl;dr: Unless the opinion is based on religion is solid, it is the equivalent of tossing a bum of a dirty rag to use for cleansing.

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
^ lol ^

like i said, i'm not religious. i'm an atheist who thinks religion in general is ridiculous. that doesn't make it any less condescending.

... but now we're getting too far off topic :)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
lol, religion.

I always found it hilarious that the number one killer, according to the Bible, was God himself.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
GOD:

Meta Knight

TOP:

Snake
Mr. Game & Watch
King Dedede
Falco
Marth
R.O.B
Wario

HIGH:

Lucario
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Kirby
Olimar
Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Toon Link
Pit

MIDDLE:

Zelda
Peach
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Ness
Fox
Bowser
Sheik
Lucas
Mario

LOW:

Yoshi
Pokemon Trainer
Samus
Sonic
Ike
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf

BOTTOM:

Link
Captian Falcon

Veng

Smash Ace
Wow tier list discussion talking about religious stuff.....

also just a side note i thin lucario and pika should be right by each other, because they both have similar potential.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah, samus is pretty beast in teams too. That Dair is ridiculous!

So is yoshi actually. throw to Flutter kick can be quite destructive......

Of course teams don't matter to the tier list. But the tier list doesn't matter in teams either since everyone seems to be great.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
olimar is too high. lower him down to bottom of high, just above pit imo

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Dan? Since when do you think Olimar is too high? (I used to think you were biased but ey ur kewl!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom