• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Because if you use Egg Toss and miss, you get punished for it. MK, on the other hand, doesn't have to worry about using a laggy move and getting punished for it, because anything he's going to use almost definitely isn't going to have lag.

Yoshi's most lagless moves tend to be his approach techniques. Thus, most Yoshis are going to play aggressive vs Meta Knights.
Why?

Depending on the range the egg toss is definitely punishable, but I see no reason why this means that Yoshi is gonna approach.

If neither char has projectiles (or usable projectiles in this case), then neither has the need to approach, why assume that Yoshi is gonna do it?

D

Deleted member

Eggs are punishable if u are stupid and throwing them in punishing range. Thats why u run away and do an ETS, to get away, and if u land an egg, bingo, mk has to approach.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Wow, this topic moves fast...

The thing is, there's a bigger barrier between MK/Snake and the rest than within, for example... falcon/ganondorf/jigglypuff group.
Of course a lower tier can handle them fine, it's just that for example snake's uptilt have longer range to the sides than some fsmashes. I recently saw a video of a falcon who ***** marth, that doesn't mean falcon is high tier does it? ;/
There's a bigger gap between the UPPER TIERS and the lower ones, not just MK and Snake specifically. Olimar, Falco, Marth... they destroy the lower tiers just as good as Snake and MK, people just use them as examples because they're the easiest to point out (not unlike how most mention Fox in Melee for comparison purposes when Falco or Shiek could work just as well).

And no, that doesn't mean that Falcon is high-tier. Statistically, the good Captain doesn't have a reasonable chance at beating Marth unless he is that much better than the Marth player, which was clearly the case here. Assuming both players had the same level of skill, Snake and MK can be taken on with other top and high-tier characters just fine because the matchups between them are more even compared to any of the upper-tiers against anyone in the lower ones.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Ah-ah-ah, Mmac, I still think it's 4:6.

Also, @ Thiocyanide: Do some research, bud. Yoshi places consistently better than most "bad" characters in every tourney he ACTUALLY PARTICIPATES IN. Honestly, Ankoku doesn't mean for that thread to be taken at face value, so if you don't want to spout out stuff that's not actually true, try reading between the lines.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Jokers Monthly Tournament.
Entrants 19 for singles
Entrants 12 Teams for doubles
Entrance fee $10, no items, 3 stock, 8 minute time

Brawl Doubles:

1 Fist Of Fury(Saian/XAI) (mario/luigi)

2 Knightmares(Joker/Skizm) (snake/mr. G&W)

3 Port City(Mara/Se'kou) (MK/Mario)

4 Proficient(-BC-/CBK) (Diddy/Pikachu)

5 Team America(Jake/Brenton) (MK/Kirby)

5 Doulbe Dragons(JB/Jlo) (Wolf/Peach)

7 Team Seaking(Yoon/Sfor) (MK/Snake)

7 Knee Of Justice(G-reg/J.C.) (Capn Falcon/Marth)

9 Man and Machine(Bonehimer/Elfen Lied) (Rob/Marth)

9 Ames(Andy/Voz) (Wario/Lucario)

9 Black Knights(Hayate/Kudou-Kun) (Falco/Rob)

9 iVangs(Pong/Aegis) (Pikachu/Lucas)

Brawl Singles:

1 Joker - Snake

2 Echo - Marth

3 Bonehimer - Rob

4 Flow - MK

5 Jake - MK

5 Andy - Wario

7 Hayate - Falco

7 -BC- - Shiek

9 SAIAN - Mario

9 Jizm - G&W

9 XAI - Luigi

9 JLO - Peach

13 Sfor - Snake

13 CBK - Pikachu

13 Voz - Lucario

13 G-rag - Falcon

17 Pong - Pikachu

17 Aegis - Lucas

17 Yoon - MK

and i was the only peach in that tournament, and i didn't do too bad, considering it was double elim and my losses were to jokers snake which got 1st and it was close, and a stupid loss to a shiek where i freakin gimped my own recovery 2 times and went 0-2 on that match, but it was fun, too many MKs, but it was still fun.

ProNoob

Smash Cadet
I hope R.O.B. gets a high spot.
His nair is great for all situations.
His bair is great for recoveries, and approaching and shooting back(Great Mindgame:))
His dair is great for, um, spiking, it also looks cool(Sending ur opponent back in dirt FTW!).
His uair is great for comboing, and it looks funny and cool when it connects.
Spam lazers and gyro till 25-30%, then spam aerials you can't go wrong.
O yeah, Up B is excellent, 1.5 recharge time, excellent combo abilities, great recovery.

ROB FTW!!!

fkacyan

Smash Hero
ROB is an excellent character for both singles and doubles. Heavyweight but a slowfaller, awesome projectile game, disgusting glide toss, a bair that spaces for you and helps you recover, a spike with a huge hitbox that stops you moving... The list goes on.

Oh, his spotdodge has so many applications, too. Downsmash, ftilt, dtilt, jab out of it are all good spacers.

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
Everyone's been putting Fox way off where he deserves to be in most tier lists. I see him averaging like spot 13 to 18 or some stupid thing like that. He's terrible...etc.
Xiivi it was flattering that you mentioned me in your post, but I think you are not giving fox enough credit. A lot of the stuff you did point out is true. For instance fox having nearly no approach. You were however horrible wrong on a lot on that match up chart. First off falco is not nearly as impossible as an 8-2, thats utterly ridiculous. Also fox and wario are not even, wario is definitely one of the harder match ups as a lot of fox's set ups simply dont work on wario.

For the no approach you are right, he has nearly none. His only real approach is to grab. Grabbing is the essence of fox, luckily fox can do a lot of damage from a good read from a throw. You say uair is useless cause people see it coming, if they see it coming your using it wrong. Uair is more disjointed then you would believe and has a lot of priority. For instance, NONE of snakes aerials go through a nicely spaced uair. That's right none, tested time and time again. So you dthrow snake, read he is going to attack, space an uair.

If they choose to airdodge, read it and buffer it with an usmash. A well read buffered usmash can kill snake at 80%. Against a lot of characters fox boils down to, getting the grab, reading what he will do, and punish him viciously for it. Also the usmash can be done out of sheild very fast to punish bad spacing. Even if they have good spacing you can do running usmash out of shield, which is incredibly good. Would also like to say that fox utterly destroys sonic. No matter what move he hits fox's sheild with, fox can punish with a running usmash out of shield. Fox has no problem killing at all.

Fox can do some damage too. The dair follow ups cant be shielded all the time. At really low percents all 7 hits of the dair hit, even at 0%, the utilt will hit and it is a 8 hit combo. If you dont get all 7 hits you can grab them out of the drill. The drill still is not that very good of a move, but it is not completely useful and always punishable. Just like anything else you have to smart with it. Another thing, unless you do hit all 7 hits of the dair, marth can up B you out or it and wario can waft you out of it (happened to me against futile).The dair combos are useful at later percents, the higher the opponent percent the less hits of the dair are needed to do a follow up. At 50%+ dair to utilt combos become almost completely reliable, with some reads you can follow up on them. at then though At 80%+ you can do a dair to dsmash which is great for keeping you opponent off and doing damage. At 100%+ you can do dair to usmash, which is another kill option. The dair is not a spammable move though, as you mentioned. If it is shelded, fox will be punished, just how the world works.

Fox can do a fair to DJ fair/uair and it is a true combo. Also does beyond 40%. Just have to read that jump. Fair can also be used offstage to screen. For instance you can jump off stage double jump immediately fair. Which will create a huge hitbox screen which will stop double jumps. Bair is the only poking aerial fox has, if you space it right its nearly unpunishable. It does have very good knock back and trajectory. If you get one off stage or hit someone out of their double jump you can kill people very early.

Fox's recovery is not as bad as you put it, he can come back from a very far distance. Even though his side B is laggier than falcos, it is still very difficult to punish on reaction. you can judge where they are and side B accordingly. If you think they are going to edgehog bait it by going just above the ledge, what this will do is if they grab the ledge you will land on the edge, if they dont you will grab the ledge. If they do autojabs you can side B above them. If they run to where you will land, you can shorten it, land on a platform, or just grab the ledge. Side B isnt as easy to punish as you say. You dont have to always side B, firefox goes stupid distance, but its wound up time does get it hit. You can also look like you are going to side B to the ledge, fast fall then fire fox really close to the ledge to grab it. it's all about the mix up.

He does have faults a lot you touched on:
- No approach besides grabbing
- Edgeguarding options are extremely limited
- can not poke well
- almost completely dependent on reads
- weight gets him in almost every infinite/combo in the game
- his recovery is easily edgeguarded compared to others
- really god **** light
- lots of bad match ups
- he has a really bad english voice actor.

He does have strong positives which you did not touch on:
- very fast running speed
- very strong killing aerials that can make the opponent look lighter than you.
- Uair has enough priority to go though almost anything without a blade.
- Usmash is perfect for buffering airdodges to kill at ridiculously low percents
- one of the few characters able to follow up from grabs reliablely
- a few reads can lead to a lot of damage or an early kill
- Can do a running usmash out of shield, punishing people from long distances.
- Shine can be used to delay actions to be used as a mix up, or to recharge shield (from high distances)
- most of the bad match ups are underused characters.

fox is a good character and definitely tournament viable. He is however the worst out of the three space animals.

Starlord Titus

Smash Rookie
Here you go, this is based on the match up list

Top Tier
Meta Knight
Falco

High Tier
Toon Link
Marth
Mr. Game and Watch
Snake
Wolf
R.O.B
Olimar
Pit

Middle Tier
Ice Climbers
Ness
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Pikachu
Kirby
Zero Suit Samus
Zelda
Wario
King De De De
Samus
Lucario
Link

Low Tier
Fox
Squirtle
Shiek
Luigi
Ivysaur
DK
Charizard
Ike
Mario
Sonic
Jigglypuff

Bottom Tier
Peach
Ganondorf
Bowser
Yoshi
Captain Falcon

mood4food77

Smash Hero
wow...teh match-up chart is wrong

snake only has 3 disadvantages, wario,oli, and d3, and all of those are 60-40 at worst (DK could possibly also be one)

meta loses to DK and snake, i dunno who else

DK only has bad match-ups to d3, wario, and oli

yea, we gotta work on that match-up chart

Frate

Smash Journeyman
I hope R.O.B. gets a high spot.
His nair is great for all situations.
His bair is great for recoveries, and approaching and shooting back(Great Mindgame:))
His dair is great for, um, spiking, it also looks cool(Sending ur opponent back in dirt FTW!).
His uair is great for comboing, and it looks funny and cool when it connects.
Spam lazers and gyro till 25-30%, then spam aerials you can't go wrong.
O yeah, Up B is excellent, 1.5 recharge time, excellent combo abilities, great recovery.

ROB FTW!!!
...and fair WoP :]

Wow, this topic moves fast...

There's a bigger gap between the UPPER TIERS and the lower ones, not just MK and Snake specifically. Olimar, Falco, Marth... they destroy the lower tiers just as good as Snake and MK, people just use them as examples because they're the easiest to point out (not unlike how most mention Fox in Melee for comparison purposes when Falco or Shiek could work just as well).

And no, that doesn't mean that Falcon is high-tier. Statistically, the good Captain doesn't have a reasonable chance at beating Marth unless he is that much better than the Marth player, which was clearly the case here. Assuming both players had the same level of skill, Snake and MK can be taken on with other top and high-tier characters just fine because the matchups between them are more even compared to any of the upper-tiers against anyone in the lower ones.
The thing is, what separates those two are the ridicolous innate advantages, while most other have small flaws that are bigger than those two. They are easier to group together that way (MK, blob with sword, lagless disjointed attacks, a stall that makes you invincible as long as you want... Snake, ridicolous hitboxes and camping fest galore with decent aerials too)

And, of course, the tier list isn't finalized, but it's "those two" that are at the top, simple. The difference between those two and others are... how about the difference between Sonic and Falcon? It might be small but it exists.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
On the ROB discussion, I think he's 5th in the game at the moment, possibly even joint 4th with Marth. Yes I think he's better then Falco and I should know , I main them both.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I'd say top five are:

MK
Snake
G&W
Marth
ROB

I will add on but I think we should start from the top then go down the list to effectively make a good Tier List. Please post comments.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Why is Sonic still so icnredibly low on the tier lists?
He is ranked 24th of 39 on the tourney lists.

-_-;
Ugh.
Sorry, as much as I love Sonic, weren't three of his four wins ( I think that's how many he's had) in the first month of release? Because if so then you need to read between the lines of tournament results more. Also tournament results aren't everything, on paper Sonic isn't very good. Top of low I'd say.

powell651234

Smash Apprentice

Top Tier
Meta Knight
Falco

High Tier
Toon Link
Marth
Mr. Game and Watch
Snake
Wolf
R.O.B
Olimar
Pit

Middle Tier
Ice Climbers
Ness
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Pikachu
Kirby
Zero Suit Samus
Zelda
Wario
King De De De
Samus
Lucario
Link

Low Tier
Fox
Squirtle
Shiek
Luigi
Ivysaur
DK
Charizard
Ike
Mario
Sonic
Jigglypuff

Bottom Tier
Peach
Ganondorf
Bowser
Yoshi
Captain Falcon

Refreshing list...but DK needs to be higher. I like Link in Mid, always thought he had a deep game that people weren't exploring.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Why is Sonic still so icnredibly low on the tier lists?
He is ranked 24th of 39 on the tourney lists.
You've continually quoted that statistic for so long that it's wrong now. He's 25th for the most recent update. Not to mention the difference in point between him and all of the others in the D/E ranks is a very low number of points, to the point which you can't reliably rely on the tournament results for those characters. Their points are far too low to accurately judge them against each other. -_-;;

There are better ways to argue for him than quoting that list.

gantrain05

Smash Master

Top Tier
Meta Knight
Falco

High Tier
Toon Link
Marth
Mr. Game and Watch
Snake
Wolf
R.O.B
Olimar
Pit

Middle Tier
Ice Climbers
Ness
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Pikachu
Kirby
Zero Suit Samus
Zelda
Wario
King De De De
Samus
Lucario
Link

Low Tier
Fox
Squirtle
Shiek
Luigi
Ivysaur
DK
Charizard
Ike
Mario
Sonic
Jigglypuff

Bottom Tier
Peach
Ganondorf
Bowser
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
sorry, i see more than a couple things wrong here, but i'll point out 2, snake is still at the top, and peach is far from bottom tier. other than that its a decent list.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Decent list with Dedede low mid tier?
>_<
And Sonic has 6 tourny wins iirc, I heard that Puffball won one like a few days ago or something.
Anyways, it's still sad to see Sonic so low on lists. Bottom tier/lower low tier is totally ignorant.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
He said it was based on IvanEva's matchups only guys. You can't critique his list >_>

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is the tier discussion thread, not his matchup thread. Head over there if you want to critique his chart.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I'm surprised to see Sonic so low, I personally think he's not bottom tier, maybe high low >_>

But that's just me. He has a lot of options out of his side B, and he has invincibility frames when leaving his side B, I also hear you can cancel the Dair or something?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
And thus ends my, 'Fox is a terrible character' rant.
Wow, you've convinced me somewhat that Fox is somewhat bad, but i'd still say he's mid-low mid. I don't think he's terrible, but you gave some great reasoning too.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
You've continually quoted that statistic for so long that it's wrong now. He's 25th for the most recent update. Not to mention the difference in point between him and all of the others in the D/E ranks is a very low number of points, to the point which you can't reliably rely on the tournament results for those characters. Their points are far too low to accurately judge them against each other. -_-;;

There are better ways to argue for him than quoting that list.
I get rather tired of stating things that really should be common knowledge.

For one the statistic was a recent change, I checked not evne a week ago and he had been 24th.
Regardless he only dropped a single rank so its not a major issue.
Many of the issues I stated have often been ignored.

For example the matchups. Sonic's matchups begin to show disadvantages once he starts to hit high/mid and up and a number of those have him at neutral
From high/mid and down the majority of his matches are either neutral or advantageous.

Let alone the fact that his edge guarding game is easily among the best in the game and with his ability to cancel any of his approaches instantly, he can easily bait or prevent walking into something that could lead to him getting hurt.
His ability to chase the opponent aerially and ground wise is a great asset and many of his combos can rack up from 20~42% depending on what is done.

Frankly the reason I use the ranking list is because I have gotten tired of repeating myself over several hundred pages and since people often do not acknowledge what I said, I use the tournament rankings to represent much of my argument.
Simply because many people choose to be ignorant towards what I say.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I get rather tired of stating things that really should be common knowledge.

For one the statistic was a recent change, I checked not evne a week ago and he had been 24th.
Regardless he only dropped a single rank so its not a major issue.
Many of the issues I stated have often been ignored.

For example the matchups. Sonic's matchups begin to show disadvantages once he starts to hit high/mid and up and a number of those have him at neutral
From high/mid and down the majority of his matches are either neutral or advantageous.

Let alone the fact that his edge guarding game is easily among the best in the game and with his ability to cancel any of his approaches instantly, he can easily bait or prevent walking into something that could lead to him getting hurt.
His ability to chase the opponent aerially and ground wise is a great asset and many of his combos can rack up from 20~42% depending on what is done.

Frankly the reason I use the ranking list is because I have gotten tired of repeating myself over several hundred pages and since people often do not acknowledge what I said, I use the tournament rankings to represent much of my argument.
Simply because many people choose to be ignorant towards what I say.
no priarity no k1ll moovs no rangee lololol!!11!
They're not gonna take Sonic mains seriously.
Do what Tenki did and pretend you main someone else, you're actually listened to then xD
It gets sad when it comes to that just to get your points listened to :\

People won't see Sonic as anything but my first line of text, and they never will.

Edit : And Arcpoint, you can't cancel Dair. You can have a lagless one once you land if you do it from a certain height, which is useful if you buggered it up.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
no priarity no k1ll moovs no rangee lololol!!11!
They're not gonna take Sonic mains seriously.
Do what Tenki did and pretend you main someone else, you're actually listened to then xD
It gets sad when it comes to that just to get your points listened to :\

People won't see Sonic as anything but my first line of text, and they never will.

Edit : And Arcpoint, you can't cancel Dair. You can have a lagless one once you land if you do it from a certain height, which is useful if you buggered it up.
I've played who is arguably one of the better Sonics in NJ and he couldn't kill my ZSS until around 175% with any reliability.

ZSS is a light character with a huge hotbox for one of that weight category, so it shouldn't have taken that long.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I've played who is arguably one of the better Sonics in NJ and he couldn't kill my ZSS until around 175% with any reliability.

ZSS is a light character with a huge hotbox for one of that weight category, so it shouldn't have taken that long.
At that percentage an uptrhow could've killed you. Seriously.

Then again, does NJ actually have any good Sonics? I mean, I really suprised M2K with my Sonic, and it's not like I'm some kind of god with him or anything, so I just assumed that there weren't many good Sonics in NJ.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
At that percentage an uptrhow could've killed you. Seriously.

Then again, does NJ actually have any good Sonics? I mean, I really suprised M2K with my Sonic, and it's not like I'm some kind of god with him or anything, so I just assumed that there weren't many good Sonics in NJ.
It's not that hard to not get grabbed by Sonic, and no, an upthrow wouldn't kill on the stage we were playing until upwards of 200% (I love high ceilings!).

M2k hasn't played any Sonics in tourney, to my knowledge.

EDIT: However, it doesn't change the fact that both of his reliable killing moves are difficult to land often enough.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Of course SL! Stating facts about our mains makes us fanboys! Duh.
You're like the only one arguing anyway, I gave up a while ago along with all the other mains because we're considered sub-human somehow, and our posts are devoid of logic despite stating facts so are disregarded.
And a Sonic main having trouble killing ZSS at 150+%? Fail.
An U-throw kills at under 150% iirc. So do a lot of Sonic's moves.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It's not that hard to not get grabbed by Sonic, and no, an upthrow wouldn't kill on the stage we were playing until upwards of 200% (I love high ceilings!).

M2k hasn't played any Sonics in tourney, to my knowledge.

EDIT: However, it doesn't change the fact that both of his reliable killing moves are difficult to land often enough.
Actually it can be a bit difficult if the Sonic user knows what to do.
For one ZSS cannot break his Uair. So she cannot risk staying inthe air when Sonic is below for very long.

Once on the ground it can be difficult to keep Sonic away because he can capitalize in ZSS' moves.
But I am not a very grabby Sonic to begin with so meh forget what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom