• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Well, I don't know how to play Falco, and I like Marth's overall approach game, as well as his many defensive options.

That and Marth's up B>>>Luigi's down B.
Invincibility frames every frame before the hitbox appears and nice knockback...

Best tool against chaingrabbing ever.

i'd just like to point out that dolphin slash is lame, and luigi's down B kicks marthas ***, GO WEEGI!
Lol

Yeah, Dolphin Slash is incredible as a defensive option. Furthermore, disjointed hitboxes>Luigi's vB. Actually disjointed hitboxes>Luigi period.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ike has range. And his punishment hurts much more than most characters'. Super armor frames galore, he's a pretty tough opponent in the hands of a person with good (move) reading ability.

And why is it that Sonics are always the ones that don't know anything about weegee? Do you all have a grudge against him cause everything Luigi > everything Sonic? >;^D
I actually have a stronger grudge against Wario.

But anyway, I'm pretty sure you can pshieldgrab almost every one of Luigi's approaches aside from Tornado.

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
Guilhe I also agree on Ike being above weegee. Better tourney results and the matchup advantage.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Yoshi has better matchup's than both Luigi and Ike >_>
Well, if you say so… Anyway, it is too early to determinate that. Ike board’s matchup discussion is almost stall and Yoshi board’s doesn't seem to have progressed much. Ike position over Luigi in the tiers is just the way I think it will resolve in the end, I’m not capable of affirming it right now.

This is true.

Has Yoshi moved up at all? because he's way better than most people give him credit for : /.
Don't worry; as soon as matchup discussion evolves he will achieve the position he deserves.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Ok but the matchup thread first post informs only about Yoshi’s matchup against Wario, Mario and King Dedede. I confess I didn’t bother to go reading through all pages, but the results of the discussion and experimentation should all have been reported at the front page. And they aren’t.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Seriously Yoshi is a character I got to give props to. Yoshi mains just keep finding new and interesting ways of making their character better.

Yoshi is one of the few character left in this game where his metagame has still a long way to go compared to other character whose metagame is almost completed.

This means Yoshi will improve. Originally I thought of him as a Bottom tier character but I think hes going to end up being Top of low tier if not bottom of mid tier.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
As someone who uses Samus, I have to give props to Yoshi. That stupid egg shield wrecks all of Samus's attack options aside from grab which is punishable. He has a decent approach with bair, virtually impossible to gimp, good projectile, fastest aerial speed in the game, and a plethora of techniques.

Luigi on the other hand does not outclass Samus in matchups and potential by enough of a margin to have him in the middle of Snowstalker's tier list while she is in the bottom of low. I agree with her tourney placing as of now due to tournament results (and DDD...ugh) so I would at least like the same thing to apply for Luigi.

(And Luigi does not "wreck" Samus. With better kill potential, shield roll, aerial attacks, aerial priority, and slightly better combo potential against her spacing with ftilt and zair, projectiles that can force openings for her thanks to missle cancel, edgeguarding, an awesome ledge game, camping, and better aerial speed/movement, the matchup at BEST is 60:40 in Luigi's favor with being neutral more likely.)

And lol at most recent tier list which had Samus in the second tier :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
At the bottom of your post, that's IF we are talking about a more experienced Samus. If Luigi possessed just as much knowledge he would still outperform Samus.
Anyway that Tier list was a little joking. The Samus part especially, he even went out of his way to state he only put her there because of his friend.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Ike is bad. He doesn't have good match ups unless it's against other characters that don't. He's just bad.
You can quote me on this for future flaming me about if you want
"Ike is one of the worst characters in the game. If not the worst"

Yeah

Samus is even with Luigi for sure. Her spacing is huge and she has quick attacks that eliminate juggling and she can juggle well with range.

And wtf?! People are finally supporting Yoshi!?! What a glorious day :D

Luigi comment a while ago. Can't remember who or what but...
You did support Luigi when you meant not to. Also, I never even mentioned high tier. You're assuming/misreading/mistaking me for someone else again.
Luigi is a lot like melee Link. Beats everybody that is worse overall in the game and loses to everyone better overall in the game as a whole and he's about dead center.
:D yay!

Browny

Smash Hater
its all good and well people supporting yoshi here, whether they will do it in actual tournaments is another issue

Mmac

Smash Lord
Nope, he/she is still in E rank.
First of all, Yoshi is a Yoshi.

2nd:

S: Meta Knight; Snake
A: (King Dedede, Mr. Game & Watch, Wario, Marth)
B: (Lucario, Falco, Diddy Kong, ROB, Donkey Kong), Kirby
C: Pikachu, (Ice Climbers, Pit, Olimar, Peach), (Zero Suit Samus, Wolf), Ike, (Lucas, Sonic, Fox)
D: Pokémon Trainer, (Mario, Toon Link, Jigglypuff), (Sheik, Zelda, SheikZelda, Yoshi, Bowser, Ness)
E: (Link, Samus, Luigi); Ganondorf; Captain Falcon

Samuelson

Smash Lord
This is the one that i saw. Maybe this one is outdated?

S: Meta Knight, Snake
A: (Mr. Game & Watch, King Dedede, Wario, Marth)
B: Lucario, Falco, (Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, ROB)
C: Kirby, (Pikachu, Ice Climbers), (Olimar, Pit, Peach); (Zero Suit Samus, Wolf)
D: (Ike, Sonic, Fox, Lucas); Pokémon Trainer; (Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Sheik, Zelda, SheikZelda, Bowser, Ness)
E: (Link, Yoshi, Samus, Mario), Luigi; Ganondorf; Captain Falcon

Every creature known to man is either a male or female. Yoshi is a dinosaur which also makes him a reptile and every single reptile that can lay eggs is a female. This is why i think Yoshi is a female. It's really nothing to get offended over though.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Yoshi isn't a creature known to man. He could be special.

As someone has said before, the eggs he makes don't necessarily have haploid sex cells in there. They could just be eggs for throwing at people.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Yoshi isn't a creature known to man. He could be special.

As someone has said before, the eggs he makes don't necessarily have haploid sex cells in there. They could just be eggs for throwing at people.
But they have the explosive power of a bomb and are empty.

That means...
When yoshi produces an egg the pressure inside of it is massive. So when it smacks someone it has the power that is slightly less than that of a bomb.

Or its harder than a rock...
>_>

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Luigi is a lot like melee Link. Beats everybody that is worse overall in the game and loses to everyone better overall in the game as a whole and he's about dead center.
:D yay!
Oh. Well I agree. Must've mistaken you for one of the guys argueing that Luigi is high tier material. My bad.:laugh:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Funny fact: Remember that "Japanese tier list" that people threw around for months? The one that they would revise like every week or something? Well, Snake was always S tier in those lists, and nobody in America questioned that. Well, I was talking to DSF, and he tells me that he has a Japanese friend that keeps him updated on stuff that happens there. Those tier lists were mostly what they thought... but Snake was a joke. They would always put him in S tier because his tilts just looked so freaking silly. They don't think Snake is that good. And they never have.

Take a look at Ketubatu-X. Thats the biggest tournament so far held in Japan. Given, their metagame isn't as developed as ours already is (because they don't play for money), its still interesting to see their results.

1. Akira - Metaknight
2. Gano - Diddy Kong
3. Masashi - Pit
4. Ikki - Zamus (and a little DDD)
5. Papepia - King Dedede
5. Waniki - Wario
7. Hoshikabi - King Dedede
7. Hangar - King Dedede

See all the Snakes? Oh wait....

Also, if you're wondering, I was inspired to post this after reading someone in the WCD thread complain about Snake's Utilt again, and then when I saw Ankoku's list (which is in the format of the Japanese tier list) I remembered this stuff :D

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Snakes are almost nonexistant here on the EC, actually. Starting to see more ZSSs pop up, which is nice.

I think the endgame of Brawl is really gonna come down to five characters, and those will be the five characters that can actually combo. Unless, of course, more characters are discovered to be able to do it.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I think the endgame of Brawl is really gonna come down to five characters, and those will be the five characters that can actually combo. Unless, of course, more characters are discovered to be able to do it.
Which 5 do you have in mind? When I think of 'combos', I can only really think of Metaknight, ZSS, Mario, Luigi, and Sonic.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I think G&W will be one. He can combo well and has insane finishers. Oh and diddy...yeah pretty understood.

Nice sig btw rooooy

Grunt

Smash Master
Mario, luigi, and Sonic have too much going against them. Besides, ROB and Snake are the kings of camping and probably wont be going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom