• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Everyone's a great character, just that some are just better. Also, just because Yoshi has a crapload of AT's doesn't mean it's a good character. It jsut coincidentally has a lot of useful AT's.

I believe that any character can beat another, but the bottom tiers have to work WWWAAAAAyyyy harder to win.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
He does deserve to be higher than bottom tier. That doesn't mean he will be. I definitely would rank him above Samus, Link and co., but he's not that great.

Jump_Man

Smash Apprentice
I know that Yoshi isn't the greates,t but I think he deserves to be in low to mid tier. Bottom tier is ridiculous for a character who has gained alot from Brawl

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Aww, if only Link had better recovery. But he doesn't.
Aww, if only Samus can kill efficiently. But she can't.

I would place Yoshi over Samus, Jiggs, and tit's galore. Maybe Mario.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
True, he does benefit greatly from Brawl's physics engine... but he has pretty bad matchups across the higher tiers, if not across the entire board. Unfortunately, nobody's going to be putting him anywhere but bottom until he starts placing well in tournaments.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
I think Yoshi is an example of how popularity affects tier lists. f more people played him and became advanced at him, Yoshi would wii a few tourneys, such that he would go up. But since his steep learning curve puts off MANY players, there aren't many Yoshi mains out there.

I'm speaking as if Yoshi was a good character, and IMO.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well how can you judge something without watching it then? Is it because it is Yoshi? Also the way I see the "him" is like Yoshi's wave dash is useless but if it was a different character it would be useful.

Seriously, I am getting fed up with ignorant people. Please stop ignoring us.
I'm fed up with ignorant people. About 1 or two pages afterward, I posted my feelings on the video. If you weren't a dumb ***, you might have looked into that. Instead, you jump onto me for it.
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4741748&postcount=9704 http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4741551&postcount=9702

This is why I hate new people.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
I think you people are silly trying to choose a character who's better than another. It all comes to dumb luck as to who manages to impliment the most combos and attacks on another while also dodging the opponent. Jeez. Any player can be great.

I've never seen such a well balanced game in my life.

Browny

Smash Hater
its more like tear, as in the ones you cry

edit
lol, the time it took me to type that, 3 other people relied hahaha

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
How is it silly choosing a character to win? Brawl isn't meant to be a competitive game, per Sakurai statement, but the point of Brawl is to win, as is with almost any game out there.

Grunt

Smash Master
I think you people are silly trying to choose a character who's better than another. It all comes to dumb luck as to who manages to impliment the most combos and attacks on another while also dodging the opponent. Jeez. Any player can be great.

LOL at "Combos are Dumb luck."

lolno

You haven't been in this this topic much have you? Brawl is far from Balanced, hell it's probably the most unbalanced in the entire series.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

omg are you high?

melee was a fighting game

64 was a fighting game,

brawl is so horribly imbalenced that i cant even call it a fighting video game

have you ever played a video game b4?

akuma in SF2 was more balenced than snake in most of his matches.

anybody i know could spend 15 minutes on this site learning how to play snake never having touched the series b4, and still **** the majority of ppl just forward/up tilting. are you serious?
are you really serious? you have to be joking

if you play meta knight all you really have to do is variations on this string of attacks and youll win 90% of your matches....
shuttle loop --> glide attack --> down smash
over and over and over again.

... heh, balenced, grumble, grumble, *walks away* grumble, balenced?! grumble

Browny

Smash Hater
argh is balanced, not balenced lol

and snake isnt so bad ffs. go to the fox boards and watch the matches of ... someones fox (gimble or something idk) vs psychomidgets snake. the point isnt that someone beat snake, but there ARE ways to get around his tilts, and he can be comboes something painful

Veng

Smash Ace
argh is balanced, not balenced lol

and snake isnt so bad ffs. go to the fox boards and watch the matches of ... someones fox (gimble or something idk) vs psychomidgets snake. the point isnt that someone beat snake, but there ARE ways to get around his tilts, and he can be comboes something painful
Argh, its "its" not "is"

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
^ Ike is low tier. He isn't anywhere near Top Tier with Snake and Meta Knight. n00bs just spam moves to win.

Why do most people make the Top Tier only Snake and MK, I know they are broken but G&W/Falco/Marth/R.O.B. have a good chance too. I know this is a n00b question

Corigames

Smash Hero
Because, by the reasoning of giving points to placements, Snake and MK place hundreds of points ahead of everyone else. I believe snake was over 300 and MK was near 200 with G&W/Marth/ROB/etc. placing around 80 or so.

Last I checked.

Onxy

Smash Lord
If you were to use a weaker character against a much higher one in a high level battle, your character's limitations will become very apparent.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
omg are you high?
anybody i know could spend 15 minutes on this site learning how to play snake never having touched the series b4, and still **** the majority of ppl just forward/up tilting. are you serious?
I taught my 10 year old cousin how to play Snake and she's never touched a Smash game before in her life. The next day I was hosting a tournament and she had to verse a guy who later came in 3rd place. She beat him in 1 match (it was best 2 out of 3), so she did pretty good haha.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Anyone else unhappy with where the IC's are placing on current tier lists? They have an infinite grab on every character (except themselves), they can't get grabbed, there's two of them so I always end up hitting one of them and half of the time it's the wrong one, and they've got a good projectile. The only reason they're doing poorly in tournaments is because they're unpopular because of the massive learning curve.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Yeah, but if you kill Nana, all of those advantages are gone. I love playing as Ice Climbers, but they shouldn't go past low High Tier.

Anyone else unhappy with where the IC's are placing on current tier lists? They have an infinite grab on every character (except themselves), they can't get grabbed, there's two of them so I always end up hitting one of them and half of the time it's the wrong one, and they've got a good projectile. The only reason they're doing poorly in tournaments is because they're unpopular because of the massive learning curve.
I'll admit this is one of the characters the "Harder to play" excuse is actually viable.

The thing is, you can easily get the ICs out of position rather easily, and really they can't even shield grab if you pace properly because their range is so horrible. And that's not even factoring that Nana could die and be separated and they become impossible. Really it's just too easy to separate and nullify the use of those deathgrabs, not to mention, not even Hylian IIRC can do them right every time, every grab is not a guarenteed death. Not to mention outside of the grabs, they aren't all that impressive outside of them either

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
I'm fed up with ignorant people. About 1 or two pages afterward, I posted my feelings on the video. If you weren't a dumb ***, you might have looked into that. Instead, you jump onto me for it.
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4741748&postcount=9704 http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4741551&postcount=9702

This is why I hate new people.
and that is why I hate people who flame and insult people. ****, seriously do you really need to give me that sort of attitude? I made one simple mistake. whoopity ****ing doo! everyone makes mistakes.

no need to be a prick about it.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Another thing, why is fox a lower tier? i think he is still a good character. You can use his dair to spike (works better on characters with bad up recover like Link, DK and Bowser) and you can shine cancel too. So Falco is high/ top tier and Fox is middle tier? (My second main is Fox)

goodkid

Smash Lord
Fox is the lightest char. in the game, I think. Falco has chaingrabs, better lasers, comboing aerials, shine that is better for spacing, and a good edgeguard game.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Anyone else unhappy with where the IC's are placing on current tier lists?
There is a good reason for this.
They have an infinite grab on every character (except themselves),
But lets ignore their very small grab range and that the timing on each character is different.

they can't get grabbed, there's two of them so I always end up hitting one of them and half of the time it's the wrong one, and they've got a good projectile. The only reason they're doing poorly in tournaments is because they're unpopular because of the massive learning curve.
not only that but its easy to separate Nana since she is pretty defenseless. Heck once you hit Nana you should keep going after her since Popo can't do much to help her.

Everyone's a great character, just that some are just better. Also, just because Yoshi has a crapload of AT's doesn't mean it's a good character. It jsut coincidentally has a lot of useful AT's.

I believe that any character can beat another, but the bottom tiers have to work WWWAAAAAyyyy harder to win.

Way to HEAVILY contradict yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom