• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
So there can only be one top player then? :applejack:
I can't say "top player" to describe anyone except one person?
@bubba this^
I didn't mean K-Prime was "the top," simply meant "a top" which I'm sure no one will deny. My bad bout the confusion LOL

Kira Flax and/or MJG recently are probably the fastest masher's I've played
Reflex, Ocean, and Fino are also notable, but probably below the top tier.
Can't speak for MJG, but Kira is definitely up there. As well as ESAM, who, IIRC, claims he can mash out of two pummels at 150%ish. But wouldn't that depend on the pummel as well? Mashing out of 3 pummels by Wolf/Lucario doesn't equate to 3 pummels by MK does it?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
people generally only taunt when they think they will win. it looks bad to taunt then get your *** kicked lol. so it can be seen as cocky or arrogant to taunt after getting a kill. I would guess that is the reasoning behind it
I find that taunting can be a legitimate strategy depending on who you're playing against. It can frustrate someone after you've amounted some amazing offense. And it's not even with killing them. Maybe you combo them and wait for them to recover, run to the other side of the stage and go "You're too slow!"

Some people can lose focus, get more aggressive... To me, taunting is the only move in the game that actually breaks the 4th wall and can effect your opponent instead of the character they're controlling.

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
I find that taunting can be a legitimate strategy depending on who you're playing against. It can frustrate someone after you've amounted some amazing offense. And it's not even with killing them. Maybe you combo them and wait for them to recover, run to the other side of the stage and go "You're too slow!"

Some people can lose focus, get more aggressive... To me, taunting is the only move in the game that actually breaks the 4th wall and can effect your opponent instead of the character they're controlling.
The post contains the truth. Whether it's friendlies or a bracket match, to some people taunts are funny to others they can enrage them past belief. Anger = stupid offensive moves that lead to their loss which is pretty awesome. (Although at the top level most people won't really get bothered)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

Suddenly, this opens more potential for mindgames. Perhaps Sonic and Pit should be higher on the tier list by this merit alone? Probably not, but wishful thinking, I guess. :awesome:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Interesting. In that case, ganon should be higher, because choosing him is almost insulting on its own. =w=

You can frustrate people outside of taunts as well, by using brick wall strategies. If your opponent can't deal with a certain move or set up, continue to do it until they can. It ****s with there head a bit and makes them focus most of there attention on that one action. For example, when I fight a new opponent, I like to test the waters by rolling around alot (as lucario of course) If it works, I do it as frequently as possible until they catch on. They're no longer focused on whatever i'm doing, they're focused on that one action.

It doesn't work on people who know how to deal with it though, but its not bad to throw out to see if they can or can't. =w=

TreK

Is "that guy"
idk if talking when playing is prohibited in the US, but it's also another form of mindgame. I'm not going to give up on all my tricks, so I'll resort to the example I use whenever I talk about it :
As Luigi, until people in my region figured it out, I used to spam bairs on the early %s because that move is so easy to land, then spam jabs in the mid%, shouting 'do you see that upB coming ?', so they get extra careful with my jab and try to avoid situations where I can jab, which makes them forget about my newly fresh bair that kills them easily.

People just play with their mp3 players against me now, so I'm getting rusty. But I used to have dozens of these tricks.
And a couple months ago my region's BR made a 'if your opponent tells you to shut up you have to shut up' rule. Maybe it was my fault xD

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Wolf's side taunt stops camping, and he can also awooooooo & snarl.

All the more reason for top tier obvs.

Also old school have-a-seizure-on-the-controller-mashing da bess

oh and Show ya moves is like the best tech chase

:colorful: :colorful:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
idk if talking when playing is prohibited in the US, but it's also another form of mindgame.

People just play with their mp3 players against me now, so I'm getting rusty. But I used to have dozens of these tricks.
And a couple months ago my region's BR made a 'if your opponent tells you to shut up you have to shut up' rule. Maybe it was my fault xD
I actually like that rule. Some people can converse while playing and some people can't. Being forced to listen to whatever your opponent has to say can be quite distracting.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Talking smack during play isn't really prohibited, so as long as it isn't blatant disrespect, I think. But yeah, talking can be a form of mindgaming, so it's viable, isn't it?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Outside of outright disrespect, I'm all for talking. Can add to the enjoyment, and I think it's okay for the crowd to get a little say in things. Otherwise, we'll take away any hype we may have had.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
lol based on what Tenenban wrote, he'd probably be someone I'd seriously consider CGing to 300.

The flow chart would be something like:

He would jab a lot and say, "do you see the Up B coming?"

I would CG him to 110 and then start saying every few throws, "Do you see the usmash coming? I don't" and then kill him with dthrow.

Say what you want about playing to win, but it's also important to remember why we play. If you're constantly trash talking your opponent's to the point where they make a rule or don't like to play you, you are probably alienating a group of people that could otherwise help you in some form.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
OP has been updated with some movement explanations. We are willing to do more, just have to figure out what people want to have explained the most.

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. In that case, ganon should be higher, because choosing him is almost insulting on its own. =w=

You can frustrate people outside of taunts as well, by using brick wall strategies. If your opponent can't deal with a certain move or set up, continue to do it until they can. It ****s with there head a bit and makes them focus most of there attention on that one action. For example, when I fight a new opponent, I like to test the waters by rolling around alot (as lucario of course) If it works, I do it as frequently as possible until they catch on. They're no longer focused on whatever i'm doing, they're focused on that one action.

It doesn't work on people who know how to deal with it though, but its not bad to throw out to see if they can or can't. =w=
Brick walling is a 2-edged sword because if your opponent ends up losing game 1 but learns how to counter whatever strategies you brick walled with if you try it again game 2/3 it could be punished really fast. But it's still a valid option and yeah I do the rolls too but only with lucario (stupid godlike roll) and also with MK when i buffer another roll to be safe.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I just want to say that when I get grabbed by ICs, I scream in the players ear as loud as I possibly can.

best method for getting out of cgs imo.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Well it's in the Unity Ruleset

Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.
I figure it's in other rulesets as well, whether written or assumed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It should be assumed, especially because it can seriously damage a person's ears, or they may have extremely sensitive hearing.

I just found the situation funny, not that I agree with the action. Plus, couldn't resist a pun. XD

TreK

Is "that guy"
lol based on what Tenenban wrote, he'd probably be someone I'd seriously consider CGing to 300.

The flow chart would be something like:

He would jab a lot and say, "do you see the Up B coming?"

I would CG him to 110 and then start saying every few throws, "Do you see the usmash coming? I don't" and then kill him with dthrow.

Say what you want about playing to win, but it's also important to remember why we play. If you're constantly trash talking your opponent's to the point where they make a rule or don't like to play you, you are probably alienating a group of people that could otherwise help you in some form.
Oh I do not trashtalk. They made that rule because some people do not think they should be evaluated on their ability to stay focused on the match, something which I respect, even if I differ.
The funny thing is, people haven't told me to stfu yet. I'm fun and respectful so they have no reasons to. If a player wants to be a jerk, people won't befriend him, and will eventually tell him to shut up even if this rule isn't in the ruleset. That's exactly how things should be going so we'd better have that rule anyway.

There's that one guy who I knew disliked my little shenanigans for he had fallen to a couple of them before. We played in winner brackets and he didn't tell me to shut up once in the set. At the end of the set (which he won), he told me 'hey buddy you know what ? I didn't listen to you cause I knew you'd be focused on my reaction'. I loved that set so much xD

CGs are like, the worst example you could have come up with, btw. I only have to focus like 20% of my mind to mash and DI whatever followup you chose to use. Guess what I'll do with the remaining 80% ?
Yyyyyyup, I'll just learn stuff about you I can use to win the set. By chatting.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Outside of outright disrespect, I'm all for talking. Can add to the enjoyment, and I think it's okay for the crowd to get a little say in things. Otherwise, we'll take away any hype we may have had.
What if your opponent politely asks that there be little talking so he can concentrate? I don't mind talking; I usually just ignore it. But a few years back, talking would totally screw up my concentration.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.
So does that mean the offender still gets to scream in your ear once before he has to stop? What if someone decides to save their offense for that one ICs player they might meet in bracket?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Hey bub, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just quoting the ruleset and I don't believe there should be a warning. Not for somebody who was obviously doing it with the intent of disrupting the target, anyway.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Bubba, it's more at the TO's discretion. If he feels its serious enough to just give it to him right then and there instead of warning him, he can do so.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
You could just not bathe like a month before the tournament.
No way to avoid that body odor unless you have a super cold.

Not trying to call out that certain Falco player though.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
^
Lol wtf

It's funny that you bring that up, tournies hosted in my region (well, most of them. The ones hosted by 1 certain TO) have a clause about not smelling like trash. Lemme see if I can find it

General Rules:

No illegal substances, no alcohol, no green.
Don't smell, please shower
Tournament matches have priority over friendlies. MMs have priority over friendlies
Keep trash talking casual, no need for us to witness someone getting a punch in the face
There we go

Fuujin

Smash Champion
I wish that was something people did everywhere.
Never share a hotel for Apex with a bunch of random smashers.

Also never let random smashers use your hotel room shower.

Hair everywhere.

Jimmy?

Smash Apprentice
What if your opponent politely asks that there be little talking so he can concentrate? I don't mind talking; I usually just ignore it. But a few years back, talking would totally screw up my concentration.
I think that still falls under not being disrespectful.... if someone asks you politely to not do something, continuing to do so to them is disrespectful. D:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
didn't mikeHAZE do that?
yup, but I did it first, but it wasnt at a major.

oh wait, yes it was, I did that to cheese in a money match in the hotel room at mlg columbus, but it wasnt recorded.
I thought there was a rule against doing that
depends on the tournament.

fk assumed rules, if its not explicitly written down, its fair game.
then I tell them to get some headphones and deal with it, like I did. Go to a marvel tournament and see how well that goes over

hinthint, it makes you a target.
Bubba, it's more at the TO's discretion. If he feels its serious enough to just give it to him right then and there instead of warning him, he can do so.
this
I think that still falls under not being disrespectful.... if someone asks you politely to not do something, continuing to do so to them is disrespectful. D:
Not if I respectfully decline their request.

thats like if I politely ask someone to let me counterpick them to hanenbow with the gentlemen's clause, that doesnt make them disrespectful for declining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom