• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I fully condone Taunting as an IC. It's actually one of the few ways that someone can setup to a very specific type of desync grab setup.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Let's not forget that Luigi's taunt can be viably used as a spiking move, and Snake's taunt can also be used as an offensive option (although in actual practice, it's almost always useless).

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
No, I'm absolutely 100% the opposite. I feel bad when top players lose a lot of the time, like when Daigo got perfected by Poongko (or w/e his name is) I felt bad cuz then people were suddenly saying he was the new beast, despite all daigo has done, so many people think he could be shattered/replaced so easily because of 1 instance, even worse cuz it's only a head to head. Daigo is a bad example because (to be honest) he is Japanese so people automatically like him more than americans like justin wong (although I will admit to not knowing how good/nice/etc. justin wong compared to diago are as people, so I will not further discuss this due to my lack of advanced knowledge on it), I understand your mindset but I don't agree with it and I an sure of my own.

example: i'd always want ally to win over a japanese player of similar skill cuz he's my friend; so let's say ally went to japan and lost to japans best snake in dittos or something, suddenly their japanese snakes are better? that's dumb, and more often than not a really bad way to base things because you're only going off of 1 instance. Who is to say this snake is better overall, maybe he just played better this time or is better in that MU. That sucks though that people will be dumb/annoying and say that then though and that really sucks for top players to have to deal with, or any top player that wants to prove themself. Hopefully you guys understand what I am saying and a big reason why I disagree, maybe because I have experienced this myself many times so I can relate better. I will obviously have an unpopular opinion as most players are not pro players but rather people that want to beat pro players so I can understand (and most likely this will be the case) where most people will probably have an opposite viewpoint as me.
I can kind of relate to this. I'm somewhat patriotic (only somewhat) so I like to see my fellow Americans win nationals that involve international players. I get a little peeved when I see my compatriots rooting for the big name from across the ocean. For example, I was a little upset at Apex when I was watching Mango and Hbox try to take on Armada and the crowd (which I was amongst) was mostly throwing shouts of support to Armada. Of course, this does not mean that your country of residence should be what controls who you like and whatnot. By all means, root for whoever you want. This is just a personal opinion. I greatly dislike Hbox's play-style when he plays Jiggs but as a fellow countryman, I still wanted him to take it all when he was paired off against a European, even though that European deserves to win just as much as Hbox does. Think of it as supporting your region in a crew battle, e.g. EC vs WC.

Also, this notion that people automatically like Japanese people is outright stupid, and I don't understand where anyone could get that idea from.
Actually, it's not as stupid as you might think. I, myself, know quite a few players personally (one of them being a top-level player) who use the "oh dang, you must be good because you're Japanese" logic. It's not right, but that's how some people think. It's kinda like how, in Melee, a few people have started assuming you're good if you come from Europe and have played in Sweden at all. The fascination with the Japanese might stem from some sort of awe inspired by the types of rulesets and metagames their tourneys experience over there.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I don't have a taunt input on my D-Pad cause I use K-Prime mashing so whenever I take a stock off (I play ZSS) I just grab/dash dance/platform cancel
What is this "K-Prime mashing"?

Between stocks: Dash Dance until I trip. Extremely legitimate, gives me peace of mind that my "trip" chance is gone for a while.
And then you trip again immediately after your opponent respawns. :p

I play V joe in tourney (just got 9th in a major in ohio over the weekend) and I tend to do that from time to time too.

his actual taunts are also awesome. I think hes the only character that has more than 1 animation that can happen when you do taunt.
I think Spiderman also has more than 1, but I'm not sure...

Because no one used Olimar, so his relative winnings compared to his use was high.

If everyone but Ally and M2K played Olimar he'd have a bad winning ratio and would be low tier.
Well, that also means that Olimars have been winning money consistently.

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
What is this "K-Prime mashing"?
Set your up and left/right d-pad (for GC controller) to Attack or Jump and to have arguably one of the fastest grab breaks/releases you do:
left thumb mashing d-pad, left index on the control stick, your right (usually thumb) mashing c-stick, and then whatever left is mashing the shoulders (L and R)

I'm assuming it was K-Prime's (top pika main <3) idea to change the taunt pad into a mashable option

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
well M2K I am still a fan of your gameplay :$
I always cheer for ya when you play.
except for when you play 1 of my fellow diddy's

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
So there can only be one top player then? :applejack:
I can't say "top player" to describe anyone except one person?

Armada

Smash Lord
bubbaking: I don't agree with the crowd was suppourting me more then Mango when we played WF. Ofc the hype wasn't nearly as big if we compare to the first genesis (or the second one). It was closer but the crowd wanted Mango to win and most people suppourted/scream in "Mangos favor".

Against Hbox it was more even but in my favor I guess but Hbox is the only American player I have at least even when it comes to the crowd.

Armada

Smash Lord
Haha no problem man. I never saw it in that way so no offense taken.

And thanks btw =)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Set your up and left/right d-pad (for GC controller) to Attack or Jump and to have arguably one of the fastest grab breaks/releases you do:
left thumb mashing d-pad, left index on the control stick, your right (usually thumb) mashing c-stick, and then whatever left is mashing the shoulders (L and R)
It's not arguable--It blows any "normal" method out of the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4pHZUJGG0k

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
btw Jason there are so many new people that pick mk up or play mk because they have a lot of respect for you and they got inspired by you.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
No one complaining about "disrespect" needs to ever spend any time playing this game in NY/NJ. Ever. You'd cry. Every time you played the game. Every. single. time.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
OMG! That is amazing! But Reflex is he faster than u!? I always thought u were the fastest at getting out of grabs and told everyone this in the smash community.
That vid is pretty darn awesome.
I never claimed any title. That's just speculation. I like to mention my ability every now and again (since there was that chart that used me as the human threshold, XD), but I never said I was the fastest.

Either way, this works because of the mechanics of the C-Stick and causes the game to register extra inputs. You have to change your Taunt buttons to Attack or Grab or something similar, too. Either way, the exploit is much faster for registering inputs than any human could possibly manage through normal means.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
So why is it that something like taunting between stocks is considered disrespectful but doing something like dash dancing/platform cancelling/showing off tech skill isn't? Cause everytime I see a Melee player take a stock off the opponent, they dash dance and wavedash and do lots of other 'tech-skilly' stuff but nobody seems to mind, but pressing 1 button and having Pikachu wave at the screen and scream "PIIIIKAA PIKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" is disrespectful?

Doesn't make sense to me. The only thing done in-game that I could see as disrespectful is possibly something like this, and that's only because it was done with the INTENTION of insulting. If he just felt like ****ing around and wasn't trying to imply anything with it then I wouldn't consider it disrespectful at all.
Hilarious either way though

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
@v115 well that makes a lot of sense, actually. People who do the tech-skill **** are keeping their fingers warm and ready so they don't mess up when the person comes back. That doesn't happen in taunting and Brawl is a lot less technical so you maybe get like 4 actions before they come back anyway

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, only annoying taunt I ever saw was 64/Melee's Kirby's taunt. That Hiiiiii was annoying and hi-pitched.

...It's not an issue in Brawl. Don't see a problem here. One thing would be if taunted someone in real life, specifically in a jerkish way, like saying "Dude, you suck." Another is in-game, where the Taunts exist to be used. They're just a move.

Also, Luigi justifies all Taunts.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Well maybe Melee (and Brawl platform cancelling) was a bad example cause that's more like practicing ****, but I still don't see why an in-game taunt would be disrespectful. I mean it's just an animation, and AFAIK nobody really means to imply anything with it, it's just for fun.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
No taunt can ever compare to the annoyance that is Sonic's and Pit's "You're too slow" and "You're not ready yet" respectively. Just my opinion.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
people generally only taunt when they think they will win. it looks bad to taunt then get your *** kicked lol. so it can be seen as cocky or arrogant to taunt after getting a kill. I would guess that is the reasoning behind it

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Yea, taunts arn't ****ish in comparison to other things you can do in this game. Like after I edgehog someone I fall down and jump off there head~ =w=

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
people generally only taunt when they think they will win. it looks bad to taunt then get your *** kicked lol. so it can be seen as cocky or arrogant to taunt after getting a kill. I would guess that is the reasoning behind it
Even if I were to get floored by my opponent and they're about to JV 3-stock me, I'll still taunt right before they deal the killing blow. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom