• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I don't know how I feel about shielda, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone tlak about it this way:

Zelda has pretty strong devensive traits but sucks at approaching. Sheik has good approaches but lacks defensive options and has a hard time killing.

How viable is the shielda concept assuming:

1. Zelda isn't totally pooped on in a match-up, and
2. Sheik has able to get a sizable lead?

Wouldn't Zelda be a pretty good option if you need to camp something out?

Tesh

Smash Hero
lol no, zelda is not better at camping, because she gets poked at with impunity. sheik takes leads and widens them with damaging quick punishes

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I don't know siht about zelda, I always heard she had strong defensive close range moves, but sucked at approaching so badly it didn't matter

I dunno man it seems like low tiers get worse ever week. Today we agree that Ganon has good kill power. Next week? WHO KNOWS?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Her defensive game is okay, it's going to lose in the long run against most characters but it's very reasonable to expect that she'll get hits in

which is why Zelda isn't terrible when the opponent is at KO%...

:phone:

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Zelda's OoS options are terrible. Sheik can punish almost everything with her speed and her OoS options are far better than Zelda's. The problem is that Sheik's reward for punishing is low.

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
Zelda has dsmash oos.. that about sums it up. XD She is very good at punishing mistakes and is rewarded with her power, though with sdi you can get out of Fsmash and Usmash respectfully.

That being said, she lacks any means to force an approach because dins clashes with just about everything in the game. Causing her to have to approach with terrible options. Unless you are MK or Marth who can rush her down extremely easily, she doesn't do half bad against those who actually approach her.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
youre not really supposed to shield with zelda, her up smash stuff the mess out of aerial approaches, and her f smash is almost unpunishable, and has solid range to beat other attacks. run away back air is deceptively useful. her defensive game is still good dispite the fact that her oos options are not.

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
You can sdi out of usmash, MK and marth can do it easily, with ness you can sdi down and tech the stage~ Other floaties can also escape upwards. :3

Trust me, people argue the Peach dair sdi which not many people even do, so while yes you probably won't escape it given you'd need to prepare in advance it's still a point. The 3 I said above can do it extremely easily however.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
does the popularity of each character go along with where they are on the list? like ganon has the least amount and MK has the most? i feel like ganon can have a few more than someone else maybe. just curious tho

mk clearly has the most but i feel like ganon could surprise me

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
2nd paragraph of OP explains how the list was made. Popularity was a factor but not the only one.

Technically speaking, the least used character on this list is probably Sheilda. Aside from that, probably Jiggs/Zelda/Mario

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
All I know is that Jigglypuff cannot SDI out of it even in frame advance
so I have my doubts
somebody needs to go learn what SDI is

i've SDI'd out as puff ;)

Also sheilda does not beat Dedede lololol

like... how does Zelda actually hit Dedede? Assuming the Dedede actually knows how to angle their shield.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Maybe the +1 is theorycraft, but
-With a MU with almost no results to go off of, literally any ratio you assign to the MU will be theorycraft unless you assign it something like 'unknown' or 'undecided' or '?'
-That still doesn't make 'the entire concept of Sheilda' theorycraft
I probably should have said "the entire concept of certain of Sheilda's MUs is theorycraft."

Zelda has pretty strong devensive traits but sucks at approaching. Sheik has good approaches but lacks defensive options and has a hard time killing.
But doesn't Sheik actually have decent defensive options? Her speed and mobility are her defense and her needle game supplements that. If you ask me, I'd say that Sheik's defensive game is actually better than Zelda's.....

youre not really supposed to shield with zelda, her up smash stuff the mess out of aerial approaches
In the specific Sheilda:DDD MU, DDD's dair out-ranges Zelda's usmash. Zelda won't be stuffing his aerial approach with that. Not only that, Zelda's usmash is SDI-able (something I actually learned a few days ago).

You're not going to be SDI'ing out of usmash, the multiplier is really low. You're gonna DI out if anything, it's all dependent on where it hits you/your character's fall-speed/etc...

Think of it like Nado
Actually, both top DDDs and top Sheildas (going off of what I've heard a BBR member say on the DDD boards; I'll find quotes) say that, despite his weight and falling speed, DDD has a surprisingly easy time SDI'ing out of Zelda's usmash.

Edit: Alright, found the Zelda usmash SDI convo:
[COLLAPSE="DDD can SDI out of Zelda's usmash."]
idk why since it seems weird, but Seibrik/Ed assure me DDD can get out of usmash for free quite consistently. Usmash *shouldn't* be an issue assuming that to be true.
I always found Zelda's usmash to be quite hard to SDI with anyone, which makes it even harder for DDD who's so big and heavy and falls so fast back into it... Are you sure they weren't talking about Sheik?
If that's ture it would certainly make the mu a lot easier, it's also a little embarrassing on my part -_-. It would also depend on the timing since if they upsmash your landings you are likely going to get hit by the end of the move.

I know a some characters can get out consistently and some can't, I never really know because Zelda's are either super optimistic or super pessimistic (I've had one claim the ditto is -1 for the Zelda main) and tell me every character or no characters get out.
I'm very sure they were talking about DDD getting hit by Zelda's usmash. DK, Bowser, ROB, etc all have a lot of problems w/ it due to size so I always assumed DDD to as well. About a year ago I was playing Ed w/ DDD and managed to SDI out of it quickly. I was surprised that I was able to and Ed told me that DDD, for some reason, can pop out.

vOv
[/COLLAPSE]

C.J.

Smash Master
No earthly idea, Grim. Just repeating what I was told awhile ago. Typically I don't appeal to authority, but considering the source/frequency they play, I was willing to accept it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Even if its possible, is it likely that people can get out on reaction? How about if they just get poked by the final hits. Practicality matters.

Regardless, you can avoid Zelda killing you for a long time while safely harming her. Its quite the opposite of sheik, who can safely harm people for a long time and kill late. Everyone gets to treat Zelda that way.

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
sheik is a great character good aproach options good defense with needle attack but lacks good ko power zelda though is great at koing but approaches are bad.using sheilda sheik builds damage quick and zelda can finish it with a single blow.

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
Regardless, you can avoid Zelda killing you for a long time while safely harming her. Its quite the opposite of sheik, who can safely harm people for a long time and kill late. Everyone gets to treat Zelda that way.[/QUOTE]

zelda can ko easy with most her attacks and if you know how to use them it does not matter one hit you're most likely dead.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
That indifferent double post... :smirk:

Even if its possible, is it likely that people can get out on reaction? How about if they just get poked by the final hits. Practicality matters.
Well, I've personally never done it, but going by what CJ said in that convo, he's done it on reaction and I guess other players have too. I never even knew that Zelda's usmash could be SDI'd out of, so I have no idea how any of this works, lolz! :p

C.J.

Smash Master
When I did it, it was certainly on accident. My reaction time is 12 kinds of awful haha.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think it depends on weight, floatiness. I remember getting out basically for free as Lucario a few times.

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
i think sheilda should be higher by know sheik is a very good fighter who can rack up damage but has problems koing.zelda though is powerful with a ton of ko moves.they complament each other being very good together.

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
now randomly changing subject why don't people use ness i use him and i win most the time and my freinds are ike,toon link,link,wario,kirby,lucas,ic and mk.he's a good character and has strong attacks mixed with good combo's like run attack witch will hit almost always.he can hit projectiles away with his > smash and absorb energy projectiles.he of course has his probolems being small and light witch can be avoided by knowing how to dodge powerful attacks and survive,one of the reasons i will win most the time.also can pk fire a character while there off the edge and the meteor smash them.does have problems with his recovery but i am about always great with my aim because i know how to use the move right.i play as him and i am almost always suprised at how good he is it is really suprising.i dont understand why people think he is bad the more i play as him.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I think it depends on weight, floatiness. I remember getting out basically for free as Lucario a few times.
Yeah, but that's the weird part. DDD is the 4th heaviest char in the game and the fastest faller, and of course, he has a very large frame. Reason would dictate that he wouldn't stand a chance of getting out of Zelda's usmash.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
You're not going to be SDI'ing out of usmash, the multiplier is really low. You're gonna DI out if anything, it's all dependent on where it hits you/your character's fall-speed/etc...

Think of it like Nado
This

SDI has very little effect on escaping Zelda's upsmash. Each of the hits has a 0.1 SDI multiplier and a 0.5 hitlag multiplier. This means you'll be SDI'ing 1/10th the distance than normal with only half the amount the frames to work with. Also each hitbox is constantly pushing you into another so you're pretty much stuck in it. The reason you escape it sometimes is because there's a small delay between the 6th and 7th hit where the 6th hit can push you out of range of the 7th hit letting you free. This can happen even when you're not pressing anything.

If you want to pop up out of upsmash, your best bet is to DI downward since the bottom part of upsmash sends you up. You can easily see this happen by having Marth hold down in front of Zelda while she upsmashes you. You should pop up every time. Some characters like Lucas can escape by popping out from below and duck the rest of the hits. You can do this with Lucas by standing in front of Zelda and holding up while she upsmashes you.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
If you want to pop up out of upsmash, your best bet is to DI downward since the bottom part of upsmash sends you up. You can easily see this happen by having Marth hold down in front of Zelda while she upsmashes you. You should pop up every time. Some characters like Lucas can escape by popping out from below and duck the rest of the hits. You can do this with Lucas by standing in front of Zelda and holding up while she upsmashes you.
Zelda Logic: Hold up, pop out of the bottom, hold down, pop out of the top.

Makes sense.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
This

SDI has very little effect on escaping Zelda's upsmash. Each of the hits has a 0.1 SDI multiplier and a 0.5 hitlag multiplier. This means you'll be SDI'ing 1/10th the distance than normal with only half the amount the frames to work with. Also each hitbox is constantly pushing you into another so you're pretty much stuck in it. The reason you escape it sometimes is because there's a small delay between the 6th and 7th hit where the 6th hit can push you out of range of the 7th hit letting you free. This can happen even when you're not pressing anything.

mother-****ing thank you.

:phone:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
sheik is a great character good aproach options good defense with needle attack but lacks good ko power zelda though is great at koing but approaches are bad.using sheilda sheik builds damage quick and zelda can finish it with a single blow.
Regardless, you can avoid Zelda killing you for a long time while safely harming her. Its quite the opposite of sheik, who can safely harm people for a long time and kill late. Everyone gets to treat Zelda that way.
zelda can ko easy with most her attacks and if you know how to use them it does not matter one hit you're most likely dead.
i think sheilda should be higher by know sheik is a very good fighter who can rack up damage but has problems koing.zelda though is powerful with a ton of ko moves.they complament each other being very good together.
now randomly changing subject why don't people use ness i use him and i win most the time and my freinds are ike,toon link,link,wario,kirby,lucas,ic and mk.he's a good character and has strong attacks mixed with good combo's like run attack witch will hit almost always.he can hit projectiles away with his > smash and absorb energy projectiles.he of course has his probolems being small and light witch can be avoided by knowing how to dodge powerful attacks and survive,one of the reasons i will win most the time.also can pk fire a character while there off the edge and the meteor smash them.does have problems with his recovery but i am about always great with my aim because i know how to use the move right.i play as him and i am almost always suprised at how good he is it is really suprising.i dont understand why people think he is bad the more i play as him.
Sorry, I thought since no-one's responded to you yet, it's only fair that you do get a response.

A lot of the stuff you're saying comes naturally from your previous experience as a casual player. We're all like that. i know I was, anyway ha. In a competitive setting, however, a fair few of these things you suggest don't work or other factors influence the whole thing.

So in the case of shielda, the problem with zelda is that, for one, the opponent does have a sense of caution and may avoid your smashes. Or, the more likely pursuit, some characters won't even bother coming near you, focusing on ranged attacks (that won't bounce back on them, if possible lol) to force you to approach and this is where zelda has difficulty. Zelda has a predictable and bad approach that people can punish very easily. If she can't get in, how is she gonna use these smashes? It's also unfortunate for her that her ranged attack, Din's Fire, isn't that great either. :-(

I don't have a lot of exp. on zelda but that's how I see her main flaws.

Now on Ness, who I know a lot better because he's a secondary/co-main of mine:

Ness is actually a pretty decent character (so is Lucas IMO but I ain't gonna get in to that lol). HOWEVER he has two extremely damaging flaws in his character that put him where he is and stop him moving up a large distance in the tier list.

The first is his recovery. Once upon a time, I used to argue it was about getting used to it but now I accept, for all our mix-ups, for all we do, Ness is very easy to kill once he's offstage. Unless he recovers from up high, it's a risk of death (think the other person deliberately falling in to your PK thunder or grabbing the ledge first and making use of invincibility frames to stop you grabbing it) and even when recovering from up high, it's a risk of damage. Either way, except for some cases, Ness shouldn't be getting back on stage without taking damage if the other char knows what he's doing. Ness has to resort to mix-ups in recovery if he wants to get back on-stage successfully and that's a damaging trait compared to characters that have a much easier time getting back on-stage. *coughcoughthebatandkirbyanddededeandrobcoughcough*

Now the second damaging factor to Ness that casual players don't know about (thus why Ness/Lucas are always thought to be higher than they are when you first see the tier list eheheh) is the grab shenanigans. When Ness/Lucas get released from a grab, their 'grab release animation' is 10 frames longer than most characters. Some characters can take advantage of that, in fact most can take advantage of it in some way: A smash attack, an aerial, a tilt... or another grab. This is where things get silly. Marth, DDD, DK... just a couple of the characters that wreck the PSI kids because of these 10 silly extra animation frames. They regrab and pummel until the kids get released, then regrab, more pummeling and repeat. It's so stupid. Once the damage on Ness/Lucas is high enough, they use a smash attack and finish the job: One of your stocks, gone.

The only respite here is the end of the stage, where finally you get let off, usually with at least 50% more than you were at the start of that wretched 'chain grab'. You can also get an air release but while that gets you out of the grab, you can still be punished by chars such as Marth and Bowser (who has a 10 frame advantage on everyone when it comes to grab releases anyway and thus has a 20 or 21 frame advantage on the PSI kids -_- ) with an aerial.

So now you see why the PSI kids are lower than we'd like them to be on the tier list. We are getting better at the 'don't get grabbed' game, moreso than anyone else except for perhaps DK who has a problem with DDD for similar reasons... we're also getting better with recoveries, though Lucas at the least has far more options than Ness when it comes to recovery, Ness is learning to mix-up his recoveries more. It's because of that and recent tournament success that I believe both should go up on the tier list... but I doubt Ness or Lucas will ever break the mid-tier barrier, i'm afraid. :(

I hope that explains a lot. Don't worry lol, they're not all bad, they have some nice traits but there's also a lot that stops them. :(

Also, it's probably a good idea not to double post haha. It's not a huge problem, just try to edit a post once you've made it instead of double posting because that's against the forums rules. ;)

@Big D: Those eyes... <3

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
You should just tell him that Ness sucks and Lucas sucks even more and leave it at that, lolz! :troll:
Nawww, because I was a new poster here once and got my back-side kicked in for saying some pretty stupid stuff, to the point where people thought I was an older poster that had made an alt account just to troll.

It's fair to give people a proper explanation to say why x is this and y is that.

Also... not actually sure how I feel about Ness/Lucas in comparison to each other. A personal thing, i've always wanted them together again. :-P

EDIT: Except this time in mid tier. :p

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom