• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Jebus you simply don't seem to understand.

In the eyes of pretty much everyone, Apex is THE tournament to win.
Every other tournament, every other win? Nice and w/e.
But Apex is the ultimate test of skill, where virtually every player in NA worth anything generally wants to be to prove themselves.

And Espy as a member of the Stage Rage Crew you know how I feel on stage legality.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
You ignored one half of my post.

How unlike you.

:phone:
I'm not too sure about Apex but Larry said something about not going to SRT when he found out most of the top players weren't going so it does happen. This would be the perfect time to make a poll

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I know I would rather attend an MK legal tournament featuring a well known international player than an MK banned tournament that attracts an extra 10 nobody's that may or may not stick around

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Jebus at it again?

... Yep.

Hm.

I don't think people pay hundreds of dollars just to go play international players, especially when not many people will be able to play them in the first place.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Jebus at it again?

... Yep.

Hm.

I don't think people pay hundreds of dollars just to go play international players, especially when not many people will be able to play them in the first place.
Why not? You really think everyone attending is there to win? I'm not saying all of them are there for that reason, but some of them are

@Grim, It's not about that. It's about playing someone you've never played before or may never get the chance to play again

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I think Jebus has a very valid point. You guys keep saying "APEX is the biggest tournament because it's the biggest tournament. It's our superbowl". But how'd it get to that status? What sets it apart from all the other major nationals? I think the fact that it's International, as opposed to just National, plays a pretty major role in that.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
**** smashville

i love everything about animal crossing except that stage

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
PS2 is also banned at Apex.
What is this terrible injustice.

You can ban MK. You can put ledge limits. You can even ban jank like Pictochat. Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok.

But PS2 banned is some ignorant *** ****.

Cassio

Smash Master
Strong and reasonable arguments exist for MK to be banned and unbanned. Im not sure why it cant just be left at that or why one side has be generalized and implied to be ignorant.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I think Jebus has a very valid point. You guys keep saying "APEX is the biggest tournament because it's the biggest tournament. It's our superbowl". But how'd it get to that status? What sets it apart from all the other major nationals? I think the fact that it's International, as opposed to just National, plays a pretty major role in that.
Plays a pretty major role in what? The fact that it has more attendants than other tournaments?

It got to that status because
-It features like 10 different games
-Has many more sponsors --> bigger pot
-The first Apex was a huge success, and AFAIK it didn't feature any non-NA players. Its success and hype are what lured more attendants into Apex 2010 (including non-NA attendants), and this was more or less repeated for Apex 2010 luring people into Apex 2012.
-It is hosted by a reputable host (kinda overlaps with the point above but not completely)
-It is hosted in NA's best region, so it provides incentive for the good players from regions like SoCal, Florida, Texas and parts of Canada (who want to face the NJ/NY monsters but don't want to travel to a local) to travel across the entire country.

Cassio

Smash Master
It was just a statement to the idea that there is a correct decision for the community on whether or not MK should be banned. The only issue ive ever seen is attempts to make a blanket decision on such a divisive issue.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
It was just a statement to the idea that there is a correct decision for the community on whether or not MK should be banned. The only issue ive ever seen is attempts to make a blanket decision on such a divisive issue.
The division is: some tournaments are competitive, and some tournaments are for fun.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
The division is: some tournaments are competitive, and some tournaments are for fun.
MK isn't very fun.

Unless your intent of course was to condescend people for thinking bat should be banned.

In which case good show, your point was gotten across perfectly without furthering discussion in any way.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Plays a pretty major role in what? The fact that it has more attendants than other tournaments?

It got to that status because
-It features like 10 different games
-Has many more sponsors --> bigger pot
-The first Apex was a huge success, and AFAIK it didn't feature any non-NA players. Its success and hype are what lured more attendants into Apex 2010 (including non-NA attendants), and this was more or less repeated for Apex 2010 luring people into Apex 2012.
-It is hosted by a reputable host (kinda overlaps with the point above but not completely)
-It is hosted in NA's best region, so it provides incentive for the good players from regions like SoCal, Florida, Texas and parts of Canada (who want to face the NJ/NY monsters but don't want to travel to a local) to travel across the entire country.
What does 10 different games have to do with the brawl entry?
Genesis 2 had a 2000$ guaranteed pot

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Some tournaments keep the game as intact as possible to achieve accuracy and foster top level competition. Others forgo this accuracy for "fun", "diversity", "attendance", etc.

One is not better than the other. No condescension.

But one has more competitive integrity. Da end.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
With the line of reasoning you're using Meno, there is 0 difference between banning a character and banning a stage.

If you're going to take the stance that banning a character reduces the competitive integrity of a game, you also must argue that banning stages reduces it in the same fashion.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero

People who, for example, play pokemon competitively but only play Brawl casually, would be willing to travel outside of their city/state to attend Apex, and also enter Brawl, but they wouldn't travel very far for just Brawl.

I'm doing exactly that (except in the reverse order) at Apex 2013; I'm travelling there mainly for Brawl and wouldn't attend if Brawl wasn't there, but I'm also entering pokemon.

Now apply this to 9 non-brawl games.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
With the line of reasoning you're using Meno, there is 0 difference between banning a character and banning a stage.

If you're going to take the stance that banning a character reduces the competitive integrity of a game, you also must argue that banning stages reduces it in the same fashion.
There isn't a difference. A piece of the game is a piece of the game.

Some of the pieces are broken and get in the way of result accuracy. Pictochat lowers accuracy. Items lower accuracy. Some argue MK lowers accuracy.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Apex:
The highest point; the point of culmination

Genesis:
An origin, creation, or beginning.

And that is the only reason why. And everything V115 said

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
speaking of pictochat, i remember joining competitive brawl as a kirby main right after picto got banned

sad face

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
it definitely shouldn't be legal, but stone glitch... ;_;

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

rofl.

2000 for all the winners is chump change.
As i recall, Otori won 1500 himself from apex. and besides that, MLG was tossing 5th place more money than that.
speaking of pictochat, i remember joining competitive brawl as a kirby main right after picto got banned

sad face
I counterpicked pictochat for 2-3 years, and it was awesome.

sonics best stage by far. And then they banned it. trust me, youre better off not having experienced it than to have it taken away from you.
I love Pictochat (probably my favourite stage in the game...except for maybe Norfair) but I don't think it should be legal
I could still make a case for it to be legal.

But the fact of the matter is that theres really no excuse for there to be less than 10 legal stages in a brawl tournament. Also, starters and counterpics are stupid in this game, because, most of the "neutral" stages we have now are certain characters best stages and already polarize matchups.
Falco, Diddy, ICs, DDD on FD
Marth on battlefield.
and so on.

My last tournament was 13 stages, MK banned, and stage striking from all the legal stages. I saw game 1s happen on halberd, ps2(this stage is amazing btw) frigate, Delfino, I think I even saw a game one of a tournament match on Rainbow.

Point is, if Castle Siege is the most fair and neutral stage for a matchup, why cant you play it first? Its dumb. Starter stages dont fulfill the role of starter stages anymore.

I ranted on something that was completely unrelated.

Back to the point, MK ban is great. For those people that say, 'hey you wouldnt have won that tournament if mk was legal.' i see that exactly the same way as if someone were to say 'you wouldnt have beat me if I could had played with my teams partner and 2v1d you.' Yea, youre probably right, but thats stupid and not really fair, so why are you bringing it up?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Also, I approve getting rid of the starter/CP divide.
No joke, Rainbow Cruise as a starter is awesome. Thanks for that one, Dust Bowl IV.

edit:
I think I even saw a game one of a tournament match on Rainbow.
Hell yeah you did, I distinctly remember you cheering me on :awesome:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Otori won $3600 from singles and some more from doubles

Also, I approve getting rid of the starter/CP divide.
To further emphasize KID's point, 5th place at MLG paid $5,000.
I also approve of the stage pick KID mentioned. I dislike the Starter/CP malarky this community's TOs are so freakishly fond of. :applejack:

Naridax

Smash Journeyman
Charlottesville, VA (UVA) / Virginia Beach, VA
But the fact of the matter is that theres really no excuse for there to be less than 10 legal stages in a brawl tournament.
From what reasons does this "fact" stem?

Also, starters and counterpics are stupid in this game, because, most of the "neutral" stages we have now are certain characters best stages and already polarize matchups.
Falco, Diddy, ICs, DDD on FD
Marth on battlefield.
and so on.
Strike them. Ban them.

My last tournament was 13 stages, MK banned, and stage striking from all the legal stages. I saw game 1s happen on halberd, ps2(this stage is amazing btw) frigate, Delfino, I think I even saw a game one of a tournament match on Rainbow.
So? More stage variety ≠ better rule sets/tournaments.

Point is, if Castle Siege is the most fair and neutral stage for a matchup, why cant you play it first? Its dumb. Starter stages dont fulfill the role of starter stages anymore.
(One would first have to prove that Castle Siege is the most fair and neutral stage for a match-up, but you were speaking hypothetically.) If a starter stage is one of the most fair and neutral stages for a match-up, does that starter stage fulfill the role of a starter stage?

Back to the point, MK ban is great. For those people that say, 'hey you wouldnt have won that tournament if mk was legal.' i see that exactly the same way as if someone were to say 'you wouldnt have beat me if I could had played with my teams partner and 2v1d you.' Yea, youre probably right, but thats stupid and not really fair, so why are you bringing it up?
How do you make the jump from playing Meta Knight to playing with a partner against a single person?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
most Fav post on this thread for quite some time~
My favourite xyro post in quite some time.

Which reminds me, Final Destination is a heavily unbalanced stage and shouldn't be a starter if we continue using the current outdated starter/cp system.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Why don't people just play MK-banned, SV-only tournaments?
It's apparently what everyone wants, and TOs allowing more stuff looks even hypocrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom