• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nike.

Smash Hero
About Marth:

:snake: :diddy: :falco:

Marth mains know that Marth isn't as good as these 3.

:wario: :marth: :popo:

I personally see those 3 as a tier below Snake/Diddy/Falco. However, like Raziek mentioned, what puts Wario over Marth? If anybody is better than Marth, it would (imo) be IC's.

I dont see results showing he should be A tier and the theorycraft of his abilities doesnt convince me at all.
That's a fair enough argument. However:

Wario seems to just have a greater ability to force a win, make stupid comebacks and hold/extend leads as long as possible?
is not really backing it up.

If Marth's tier spot is not getting backed by his overall placings, how is Wario any different? What has he done to prove that he's a better character than Marth?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Pretty sure I praised Sonic just as much as I did the opposite in the BBR Character Discussion for him, Browny. Maybe you'd be able to see that if you weren't so busy focusing on every last possible negative thing in every post I ever make.

Because honestly, that's all you and KID ever do: Heckle, heckle, and heckle some more. That gets tedious. At the very least, I'm actually making attempts at communicating with the community at large.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
About Marth:

I personally see those 3 as a tier below Snake/Diddy/Falco. However, like Raziek mentioned, what puts Wario over Marth? If anybody is better than Marth, it would (imo) be IC's.

That's a fair enough argument. However:

is not really backing it up.

If Marth's tier spot is not getting backed by his overall placings, how is Wario any different? What has he done to prove that he's a better character than Marth?
While I agree with this, I see a bunch of marths saying "no lol, everyone doesn't want to admit marth ***** them", or "Marth is second/third"

Amusingly enough, according to John#s thread, Wario wins more money than marth though...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The dude asking which seat can I take WINNING SMOON ALLY RAZER GNES MLG TEXAS MV/DA REBECCA BLACK OMG I LOVE HER FRIDAY FRIED EGG FRONT SEAT BACK SEAT PARTY PARTY USHER'S DAD FEMALE SQUIDWARD TIGER BLOOD CAUGHT HIM RIGHT IN THE EYE MAKE JAGGER LOOK LIKE DOPEY EYED CHILD 7 GRAM ROCKS ALL NIGHT GOTTA BE FRESH BUS STOP AWKWARD DANCING GIRL BRACES ESPY TARAGRAGPH

Yo this is MAD legit. I love this

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Pretty sure I praised Sonic just as much as I did the opposite in the BBR Character Discussion for him, Browny. Maybe you'd be able to see that if you weren't so busy focusing on every last possible negative thing in every post I ever make.

Because honestly, that's all you and KID ever do: Heckle, heckle, and heckle some more. That gets tedious. At the very least, I'm actually making attempts at communicating with the community at large.
1. thats because its your job now.
2. I debate more on the hot button threads far more than you do.
3. what you do isnt really coomunicating with the community as much as just talking at them. I think what me and browny do (forcing people to back up the stuff they say and calling people out on misinfo and bs) is much closer to the communicatio you speak of.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Why is my text SO ****ING HUGE in that post

Also, something filters out to FurrySexSex. FIND OUT WHAT IT IS, THE MEN BEHIND THIS ARE A GOD.

Browny

Smash Hater
time to find out what all the filters are

the tier list;

. metaknight
. snake
. diddy
. falco
. wario
. marth
. ic ( ice climbers )
. olimar
. pikachu
. king dedede ( DDD )
. game and watch ( G&W )
. Lucario
. ZSS ( zero suit samus )
. toon link
. kirby
. fox
. rob
. pit
. peach
. dk ( donkey kong )
. luigi
. wolf
. sonics
. ike
. sheik
. ness
. pt ( pokemon trainer )
. yoshi
. lucas
. mario
. bowser
. captain falcon
. samus
. jigglypuff
. link
. zelda
. ganondorf

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, this seems like something DMG would do.
he probably mad he didn't think of it first.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It won't work if you don't use proper capitalization.

... and unless nobody can figure this out after tomorrow, Sonic's high-tier, @#$% the haters.

:093:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
There should be a emote of Bionic Arm for SWF

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Ok, that's fine, but.... he's in the right spot.

He has three disadvantaged matchups, his evens are generally with fairly uncommon characters (Wolf, ROB, DK, etc), and he's positive against the rest of the cast.

He doesn't exactly have a champion besides MikeHaze, but what exactly compels you to say he should be below someone like Wario?

The only indication that he should go down even a LITTLE is that his tournament results are somewhat lackluster compared to what you'd expect from his MU spread.

At LOWEST he's alongside Oli and Pika. (A 2 spot drop, I think?)
I think Browny sort of implied this, but I feel the issue lies more with pika and oli moreso than wario and ICs. Based on past precedent A tier doesnt look unappealing, but the elephant in the room has been that oli and pika have been outperforming Wario/Marth/ICs at high levels, and have been doing so for quite some time. As a minor tangent I cant speak for olimar, but Ive also seen gradual improvement in pikachus general tournament performance as well.

Not to say that olimar and pikachu shouldn't be below marth/wario/ICs, but given that if one judges entirely on tournament perfomance oli and pika would likely be above them, there should be increasingly strong arguments as to why marth/wario/ICs (as a group) should remain where they are them. In fact I'd like to hear what those are.

Regarding Marth specifically, I do feel his advantaged MUs may be overrated (I say that with no authority on the subject). However one thing I think is underrated is his MU with metaknight. Almost for this reason alone I find him to be a slightly better character then wario, and definitely better than ICs.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I think Browny sort of implied this, but I feel the issue lies more with pika and oli moreso than wario and ICs. Based on past precedent A tier doesnt look unappealing, but the elephant in the room has been that oli and pika have been outperforming Wario/Marth/ICs at high levels, and have been doing so for quite some time. As a minor tangent I cant speak for olimar, but Ive also seen gradual improvement in pikachus general tournament performance as well.

Not to say that olimar and pikachu shouldn't be below marth/wario/ICs, but given that if one judges entirely on tournament perfomance oli and pika would likely be above them, there should be increasingly strong arguments as to why marth/wario/ICs (as a group) should remain where they are them. In fact I'd like to hear what those are.

Regarding Marth specifically, I do feel his advantaged MUs may be overrated (I say that with no authority on the subject). However one thing I think is underrated is his MU with metaknight. Almost for this reason alone I find him to be a slightly better character then wario, and definitely better than ICs.
Do people not even check up on this thread?

ICs and Wario have been consistently winning more money than Marth. Yeah, the most relevant thing any of them (Not counting Oli/Pika, different debate) have done is be a secondary for ally in nationals recently lol. But winning more money overall has to count for something.

And on a personal note, ICs VS MK is like barely less than even (excluding dumb stages)

Tesh

Smash Hero
last time i played X I beat him 2 stock 20% in both games at the california tournament. I was playing super super amazing in that set though, maybe the best I have ever played.
But, a top Sonic has taken games off of you. Has a top ZSS ever done that?

Characters that can't beat M2K are not viable.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Jiggs has taken games from top MKs and top Sonics.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
About Marth:

Thanks Nike, that pretty much sums that up. My only disagreement is I PERSONALLY feel like Snake is down with Wario, Marth, ICs, but ALL of the evidence shows otherwise, it's just my completely unbacked personal opinion on the character.

I know Snake is without a doubt Top 4, results and data all strictly support it.

I'd disagree somewhat that they've been outperforming the other three. What other Pikachus are getting high placings besides ESAM? What other Olimars besides RB (and maybe Dabuz?)? In before I get shot by people who rage at me because I forgot someone.

Yes, you can say the same thing for Marth, I suppose. (Who besides Mike, really? xD) In that regard, I think arguing it based solely on placement is a bit of a moot point, because there's no distinct winner in my eyes.

As for a straight argument against Pika and Oli being above those 3, my argument would be an appeal to the criteria for our tier list itself. It's not a Tournament Rankings list, nor strictly a match-up chart. It's a combination of the two.

Not speaking for Wario and ICs, I would personally justify Marth's placement based on his tournament success being slightly higher than Oli and Pika (monetarily), while having a more concrete MU spread.

As for Marth himself, and why we don't see him place better, this is my PERSONAL OPINION on the matter:

There are a few things that make Marth very difficult to play in high levels of competition:

1) Extremely Unforgiving Error Margin
2) High MU Knowledge Requirement
3) Why wouldn't you pick MK?

To elaborate:

I feel Marth has an extremely high error margin. He's not a character that succeeds well if you find yourself throwing auto-pilot fairs. You have to maintain an extremely high level of focus in order to play him properly. I'm aware this can be said for many characters, however I always feel this particularly strongly with Marth, compared to the other characters I play.

On MU knowledge: I forget exactly it was who said it, but what tends to happen in tournament is that most Marth mains don't lose to MK, because it's a MU that's extremely commonplace and important to learn. From my impressions, you see Marth losing to his uncommon, but close Match-ups: Diddy, Dedede, ROB, DK, Wolf, etc.

The third thing is that there tend to not be many high-level Marth mains because of how similar his character is to MK. MK has almost all of the same pros, except airspeed. He sacrifices airspeed for numerous other benefits that ultimately make him a very similar, but better character. For that reason, you see a lot of Marths switch to, or co-main MK. (Zex, for example) Those that DO tend to stick with him are either very dedicated, or not necessarily high level.

I won't talk about Europe, because my knowledge of their metagame is not enough to make generic statements, but in terms of high level SOLO Marths in the US, there's really only two: MikeHaze (our flagship player) and Neo, who is just now getting back into the game after a long hiatus.

There are numerous mid-high level mains like Chaz, Nike, Pierce, Bardull and probably a few others I've forgotten (don't hate me <3), but like most normal players, they don't see those high levels of success outside of a local/regional level.

This has gotten really long-winded, so I'll cut it off here, but that's just my personal opinion and impressions on Marth US tournament presence.
Do people not even check up on this thread?

ICs and Wario have been consistently winning more money than Marth. Yeah, the most relevant thing any of them (Not counting Oli/Pika, different debate) have done is be a secondary for ally in nationals recently lol. But winning more money overall has to count for something.

And on a personal note, ICs VS MK is like barely less than even (excluding dumb stages)
Where are you seeing this, Tarmogoyf? I'm looking at John's data, and his (% of each dollar won) indicates that while he is underperforming Wario and ICs somewhat, he's still above both Pikachu and Olimar.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
decrease marth's monetary success by 4% and you get what it actually should be. Ally winning Whobo increased it that much.

btw he used marth 1 game

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
he has made 20% ( or should have since pound V had no pay out) of all the money given out in the past 3 months.

edit: pound.... not whobo, my bad

Tesh

Smash Hero
Thats kind of the thing that messes up the data you guys are collecting. I'm sure early on the WHOBO bracket, Ally could have beaten some people with Falcon, Zelda or Ganondorf. Then what would you data mean?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Thats kind of the thing that messes up the data you guys are collecting. I'm sure early on the WHOBO bracket, Ally could have beaten some people with Falcon, Zelda or Ganondorf. Then what would you data mean?
yeah, it messes everything up. but its not up to me for monetary success, john counted it. we can't ask every tournament how many times a person played a character. and we can't just exclude it because we know ally uses marth sometimes. plus, its no different from a person getting out round 1 and only using 2 characters. 1 character for each game

Tesh

Smash Hero
Well, you wouldn't have to know how many character most people used. Only the people that get money.

We KNOW pretty much the percentage of which character was used by the people that get money. Marth does deserve some credit, for being effective enough to be used to WIN a match in grand finals at a national, but giving so much credit will eventually make the data worthless.

Marth should get 5% (at most) attributed imo.

Edit: I think its pretty important that you guys come up with a solution now, as some top players use ALOT of characters and the data will become VERY inaccurate.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Edit: I think its pretty important that you guys come up with a solution now, as some top players use ALOT of characters and the data will become VERY inaccurate.
only ally does this actually. I have been results have been consistent with everyone within the past 3 month.
I would like to point out that Europe also has multiple consistent strong marth players.
we don't keep track of europe's tournaments.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Thats the thing, its only been 3 months. You should work to have a system that will be accurate regardless. Like I said, even for players that main a certain character specifically, like ESAM, Gnes, Razer, Espy etc. , they could use some random character for a match or two and it would still count fully for no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom