• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesh

Smash Hero
M2K beat Nick Riddle way worse than he beat __X__.

ZSS still high tier though. Maybe like bottom of high tier.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You expect everything to be written in stone which is your problem. Just because a MU is 60-40 blah blah blah doesn't mean so n so is guaranteed the win. Players are capable of being better than each other overcoming character weaknesses. Too keep saying Sonic is high tier cause of Dallas is pretty dumb. He didn't even play more than like...6 different characters in the cast. Cool story bro a bunch of sonics knowing everything they can do against MK beating Mk's. That's nice
In that case they played ~6 characters that actually matter. As far as the metagame is concerned, that's pretty much what's important.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
At MLG Dallas Sonic played:

MK
Olimar
ZSS
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Snake
Lucario
Falco
Diddy Kong
Ike

That's pretty much the NA metagame.

Exdeath

Smash Master
At MLG Dallas Sonic played:

MK
Olimar
ZSS
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Snake
Lucario
Falco
Diddy Kong

That's pretty much the NA metagame.
Except you're missing some important characters like Wario, Marth, Game & Watch, King Dedede, etc.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario's not a part of the metagame, unless you're talking about Doubles. So many characters below him are more of a "threat" to people. DK, Peach, Lucario, TL, Fox, etc. Not to say he deserves to be below them, that would be silly, but for the most part no he's not been something you really have to look for atm. Whobo had... 3? Wario players iirc. Jnig and I, with Dphat using him vs Ally and maybe 1-2 other people using him for whatever. Do you know how many ****ing DK and Peach players there were at that? Christ lol

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I also ran into Ness and Game & Watch.
And Inferiority Complex, I DID play one Meta Knight.

And then both Sonics played against...Sonic.

=====

@Nick: Sonic is not high tier.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I also ran into Ness and Game & Watch.
And Inferiority Complex, I DID play one Meta Knight.

And then both Sonics played against...Sonic.

=====

@Nick: Sonic is not high tier.
Sonic must look high-tier to somebody with no grab to cover your mix-ups then. :(

Nike.

Smash Hero
Current Tier Placement and Future Potential

Honestly, I see Sonic moving up on the next tier list. His properties may be a little daunting, but he does have plenty of good attributes, and his above average (for a low mid tier character) tournament performance and average match ups, to me, say that Sonic deserves a bump up on the next tier list from his current position.

As for the distant future, I can't really say much. Sonic has the potential to move up, without a doubt, but for sure, Sonic's current overall tier placement is more or less cemented:

Because of Sonic's faults, Sonic will never leave mid-tier.

Overall

Sonic is a speedy, momentum based character who can handle most, if not all of the match ups in the game, and can be flexibly used defensively or offensively thanks to his mixups, but suffers from a lack of unreliable KO options, range, and attack speed which keeps him (as of this time) as a well-defined mid-tier character. This is supported by his manageable match ups overall, and his above average tournament performance from multiple regions.
From the Sonic BBR Character Thread

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Jumping over it takes time and requires you to commit. We have no reliably solid, fast approaches on ZSS from the air in front of her. If you're getting downB'd into from the air in front of you, then you're simply not reacting fast enough.

Spindash clanks or loses to neutralB and dsmash. All you need to do is create space between you two for reaction purposes when you see him ball up. Or, neutralb.

Teh Future

Smash Master
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa sonics teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerirrrrible i must be 1309743123x better than everyone ive ever beaten
this is all i see whenever you post about sonic.

just sayin

hey espy you kno tornadoing as mk requires me to commit to something must be a terrible option because like a billion moves can beat tornado

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Or Espy doesn't over-rate his character like 90% of players do? It's not like he's got an ulterior motive. Sonic isn't in low tier, and he won't be making it into high, so his "tier bracket" for side tournies won't change.

It's not like a PT main (hypothetically) going "GUYS PT IS AWFUL, SHOULD BE TOP OF BOTTOM TIER SO I CAN WIN LOW TIER TOURNEYS".

Browny

Smash Hater
Yes, because I was totally being serious when I suggested sonic would be top of b tier rofl.

@raz
I didnt directly imply you do, almost all marth mains put him in the same tier as falco/diddy whichis a joke imo. He should be a tier below oli/pika tbh, along with ddd, gw, luc, zss etc imo.

Chuee

Smash Hero
@raz
I didnt directly imply you do, almost all marth mains put him in the same tier as falco/diddy whichis a joke imo. He should be a tier below oli/pika tbh, along with ddd, gw, luc, zss etc imo.
A tier below oli/pika?
LOL

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
@raz
Ok, that's fine, but.... he's in the right spot.

He has three disadvantaged matchups, his evens are generally with fairly uncommon characters (Wolf, ROB, DK, etc), and he's positive against the rest of the cast.

He doesn't exactly have a champion besides MikeHaze, but what exactly compels you to say he should be below someone like Wario?

The only indication that he should go down even a LITTLE is that his tournament results are somewhat lackluster compared to what you'd expect from his MU spread.

At LOWEST he's alongside Oli and Pika. (A 2 spot drop, I think?)

Browny

Smash Hater
idk, Wario seems to just have a greater ability to force a win, make stupid comebacks and hold/extend leads as long as possible? I just really dont see whats so great about marth, I dont see results showing he should be A tier and the theorycraft of his abilities doesnt convince me at all.

I just dont see any reason marth has to be in the same tier (what I would envisage) as snake, diddy, falco, oli and pikachu at the moment which doesnt also apply to lucario, zss, wario and a few others. unless you want A tier to have like 10 characters, I wouldnt put him there.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
this is all i see whenever you post about sonic.

just sayin
I noticed this probably more than a year ago.
Teh future speaks truths

Although getting hit by aerial down b is stil pretty inexcuseable lol.

about as inexcusable as getting hit by zss's down smash.

aslo, about wario, yea he has the ability to hold a lead really well. but at the same time, he has the uncanny ability to drop leads like nothing ive seen.

he can go from solidly winning a match, to being down in percent or a stock within the span of one grab for a lot of characters. although he can gain the lead just as easily with the fart. its not a constant threat to others the way getting grabbed or out ranged is for him. The character just seems to be designed to be inconsistent and polarising.

in related news, how come i NEVER see warios chaingrabbing people?

Browny

Smash Hater
lol wow

enough of your posts? as in, every single one you make in this tier thread regarding sonic, being about how bad he is and how easily every character can beat him?

Because I've sure read them all. and it gets tedious

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Why do people think Marth is bad?

As long as he has a sword and that amazing zoning fair, he will always be top 10 in Smash Bros.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
lol wow

enough of your posts? as in, every single one you make in this tier thread regarding sonic, being about how bad he is and how easily every character can beat him?

Because I've sure read them all. and it gets tedious
What part of Espy's assessment on Sonic's mid-tier status stood out to you as "he's bad and how easily every character can beat him"? Unless that's your sarcasm working, which...kinda sucks right now tbh.

Since when was Mid Tier "bad"?

Anybody who scrubbishly just goes "lol it IS bad", I direct you to one of too many people who play the mid tier card, even the lower tier card, and still manage something at the Regional or National level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom