• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 2010-2011 Super Smash Bros. Melee MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
lol people getting off.
you should not base it off tourny results.
obviously the tournys that they are going to weigh more are the nationals/very high entendance tournys.
and I think its pretty accurate to say that the higher skill level you are playing at, the less the tier list and how good the characters you are using matters.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
and I think its pretty accurate to say that the higher skill level you are playing at, the less the tier list and how good the characters you are using matters.
I'm sorry but this is completely wrong. At lower levels of play, the skill differential from one player to the next tends to be enormous. Games are decided by killing yourself, missing huge amount of l-cancels, failing easy edgeguards and the like. With such a margin for error, it tends to not really matter what character your playing so long as your basic execution is better than the opposition's.

At higher levels of play, more minuscule issues start to impact the match in more meaningful ways simply because all the margin for error is so small. In this sort of setting, character faults and matchups tend to weigh much more heavily on the results than they do at lower levels of play.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Low tier doesn't seem so bad now that there's a "Negligible" tier :\ At least there isn't a gap (as in characters between) between Doc and Mario but I'm still disgruntled that the two are in different tiers D;

Merkuri

Smash Lord
If what Hax says is true and this isn't the mbr list, then I'm surprised the mods haven't locked this. They locked the other tier list threads created by random people.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
what hax said was a figure of speech. he was emphasizing the resemblance between this list and KK's list he posted in the last tier list thread a few hundred times.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I agree almost completely with this new list. Still think Marth > Sheik in terms of technical potential, though recent success by Amsah, Tope, Lucien, etc. and the lack of success by any non-M2K Marth isn't helping my case.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
smash 64 - tier list says Mario (i thought it was luigi but I guess I'm wrong)
melee - about the same
Brawl - Luigi by far
Mario Kart 64 (only one I know of) - Mario but they both kinda suck worst 2 characters in that game (same stats, but Mario's heavier, but they both basically suck)
Mario Bros. 2 - Luigi by far
Galaxy - Luigi? (I think.... jumps higher but worse traction but I think Luigi's levels were harder idk I forget)

overall it's pretty balanced but Luigi is generally better by a small amount on average

Albert.

Smash Master
It's annoying how much.... MORE intelligent the melee tier list discussion is compared to the Brawl tier list discussion.

Uhg

Why can't y'all play brawl? And the brawl debaters can shush?

leelue

Smash Lord
Luigi is upper tier in Super Sexy Bros: Manly
Mario is negligible tier in that game

Btw reading this whole discussion is absolutely hilarious, and because actual funny things happen. Jokes, Mango and M2K trolling, and that one Mario avatar guy who was serious when he said puff was "good cuz she can make them sleep and smash them off the stage" because its 2001 again and that is hot new tech.

Or maybe he knows something we don't? O.~

DJRome

Smash Hero
have u not seen vetorman his yoshi makes me believe that yoshi is underrated on this lit and that ARZ is just a weird place were things are backwards
yeah, 1 guy yep. trolls :laugh:
I agree almost completely with this new list. Still think Marth > Sheik in terms of technical potential, though recent success by Amsah, Tope, Lucien, etc. and the lack of success by any non-M2K Marth isn't helping my case.
IB? Strawhats. hbk idk, there's not a lot of marths in general

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
It's annoying how much.... MORE intelligent the melee tier list discussion is compared to the Brawl tier list discussion.

Uhg

Why can't y'all play brawl? And the brawl debaters can shush?
It probably has a lot to do with the average ages of the communities.

I know I was pretty bad at constructing coherent arguments when I was 12 years old.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Mario Kart 64 (only one I know of) - Mario but they both kinda suck worst 2 characters in that game (same stats, but Mario's heavier, but they both basically suck)
Luigi has better acc and offroad. And they're actually not the 2 worst characters.

I used to have a world record in that game lol.

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
I find this list to be completely dumb and based off tourney results. Like think about every single aspect a character has. What I mean by this is, the advantages in moves, speed, kills, edgeguarding capability, recovery, priorities in moves, camping, low-percent kill moves, and w/e else there is.

-Fox deserve top for reasons EVERYONE should know...

-Falco maybe high tier? But definitely not top tier, that is based on tournament results as well. Sure he is a combo machine, but in reality... his recovery blows, he gets gimped easily, ill let everyone else explain...

- Puff as top tier? Okay this is when I know this community just QQ's about puff. Hbox has a distinct style with puff that seems no one is able to counter except Mango. But its his style that makes him win and that he adapts with his character, its not because Jiggs is cheap, or jiggs out prioritizes moves, its because Hbox is able to adapt to another player style with jiggs cause thats his best character he thinks he can adapt with. The only reason people lose to this character is because of the idea she can gimp characters easily, she has practically a one hit kill move. This messes with the psychological aspect of the game, making players forget on how to approach this character properly. They forget to camp, take there time, move around *jiggs cant catch u with any of the top/high tier char u play* and use moves that out prioritizes hers.

- Marth? I think he deserves top tier, if not high tier is fine, but take off Falco and jiggs as top tier since it should only really be fox xD.

- Shiek is questionable... I really believe the previous tier list was better for at least these 5 characters cause all I see is tourney results. Shiek is able to camp with needles, quick on her feet, has good gimps, good recovery if used properly, any move combos into anything, iono...

These characters are questionable at where they are on the tier list, but for now all I see is tournament results. Think about the aspects of each characters ability, not the person playing the character.

Brookman

Smash Hero
falcomist, that was a pretty bad post and right from the first sentence.

Are you really trying to argue that Puff doesn't have an intensely wide-range of viable and powerful moves? Are you trying to say that puff does not have competitive speed mechanics? are you trying to say that puff can't get kills as well as (fox/falco)? are you trying to say that puff doesn't have (one of) the best edge guard? are you trying to say that puff doesn't have (one of) the best recovery? are you trying to say that puff doesn't have amazing ability to camp on the priority of her back airs? are you trying to say that puff doesn't have a higher percent chance of attaining low percent kills on any stage from (almost) any point on the stage?

I'm not sure how you're claiming that only fox should be top tier. You must be basing this argument off of your neighborhood game night where all you do is dominate your neighbors.

We don't care what you think a character can do. IT'S what people ARE doing with them, today, the whole of last year, and no.

Does anyone remember where Falco was before PC came out with him vs. Ken??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom