• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
And yet Ocarina of Time predated the Half-Blood Prince by 7 years.

Guys, do you think the Legend of Zelda will truly stand the test of time and be remembered for decades, if not centuries? I think there are a few contemporary stories that will never be forgotten and Star Wars probably tops the list. Surely Ocarina of Time won't be remembered, but "The Legend of Zelda" may. It'd be a sort of summary of the entire series versus any single story. Kind of like how the Arthurian Legend was told in many different ways throughout the land.
Perhaps in video game culture, but not in general culture. Video games aren't respected as an art form like literature, music, and movies, and this is largely because game makers, in general, do not focus on adding depth and beauty to their games. Video games will likely remain viewed as a childish pursuit, unless more games are made which emphasize more than just instant gratification. There are a few games which I would consider to be on the intellectual level of a novel, it's a shame they're drowned out of the public's eye by less ambitious gaming.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Perhaps in video game culture, but not in general culture. Video games aren't respected as an art form like literature, music, and movies, and this is largely because game makers, in general, do not focus on adding depth and beauty to their games. Video games will likely remain viewed as a childish pursuit, unless more games are made which emphasize more than just instant gratification. There are a few games which I would consider to be on the intellectual level of a novel, it's a shame they're drowned out of the public's eye by less ambitious gaming.
Mass Effect is my new favorite series. ME2 quickly shot its way up to my top 10 and until ME3 either trumps or joins, it'll remain up there. The ME series has some of the best and most convincing lore in gaming. Its writing is outstanding, hosting a huge array of compelling characters and side stories, all wrapped up under one giant, epic story. It's just amazing.

Good thing they're making a movie too, because it's far more demanding than any other game series.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Mass Effect is my new favorite series. ME2 quickly shot its way up to my top 10 and until ME3 either trumps or joins, it'll remain up there. The ME series has some of the best and most convincing lore in gaming. Its writing is outstanding, hosting a huge array of compelling characters and side stories, all wrapped up under one giant, epic story. It's just amazing.

Good thing they're making a movie too, because it's far more demanding than any other game series.
I've been meaning to get into Mass Effect. I have the first one downloaded, but I just never got around to playing it. I should probably do that.

The last game to change my top 10 faves was Portal 2. I'm happy that it was a recent game. As far as my faves go, other than MM and OoT, special recognition goes to Fire Emblem (I've literally been playing that game since it came out in 03, and have over 30+ playthroughs). Then there's Tales of Symphonia and Chrono Trigger. I recently bought a PS2, because I never owned one and I feel like I missed out on a lot of games. I'm really looking forward to playing Shadow of the Colossus.

Player-1

Smash Legend
so i beat the game friday and went back to complete some of the extra stuff and my game wasn't saved since i beat the spirit temple so I have to rebeat that temple even though I got MQ unlocked. So to anyone about to beat the game make sure you save it before you beat Ganon.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
so i beat the game friday and went back to complete some of the extra stuff and my game wasn't saved since i beat the spirit temple so I have to rebeat that temple even though I got MQ unlocked. So to anyone about to beat the game make sure you save it before you beat Ganon.
OoT was always like this. There is no end-game save.

IYM!

Smash Lord
I always do my last save inside the Ganon tower (after to break all the barriers, inside the room full of fire kesees) like this, i will fight agains Ganon and his minions all the times than i want.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Boss rush was ok, not what I hoped, but at least you can practice to see how fast you can beat the boss if your doing a speed run or a walkthorugh.

M.K

Level 55
I just got the game today after contemplating whether or not I wanted to try the experience. Turns out my aunt had purchased the gold cartridge of OOT for me one Christmas, and my stupid 7-year old self didn't touch it, so my parents sold it back.

I must say, the game is pretty, but like many others, the 3D gives me a headache if I play with it for too long.

Also, am I doing something wrong with the L button? Fighting the spider thing at the bottom of the Deku Tree was very tedious because I kept trying to use L to lock on to the monster's eye, but it would always go into first person when I tried to fire more than one Deku Nut =/

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I just got the game today after contemplating whether or not I wanted to try the experience. Turns out my aunt had purchased the gold cartridge of OOT for me one Christmas, and my stupid 7-year old self didn't touch it, so my parents sold it back.

I must say, the game is pretty, but like many others, the 3D gives me a headache if I play with it for too long.

Also, am I doing something wrong with the L button? Fighting the spider thing at the bottom of the Deku Tree was very tedious because I kept trying to use L to lock on to the monster's eye, but it would always go into first person when I tried to fire more than one Deku Nut =/
Sometimes, the boss will move out of Navi's L-targeting range. If you are aiming the slingshot when this happens it will go into 1st person aiming.

and, unlike the original game, the default L-targeting option is set to "hold" which means whenever you let go of L it stops targeting. You can change it to "switch" or whatever the other option is- that way it keeps the target until you hit L again.

Life

Smash Hero
^ I actually found them easier to kill than N64 OOT, aiming with the gyro/accel. whatchamacallit is really intuitive. It helps if you know where to go to spawn them though, so you're mentally prepared beforehand.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Been playing Oot3DS for as much as I can without wearing it out, and finally have reached Adult Link :). I love how it feels less like I'm playing through regular OoT again, and more like a new game in a sense. I figured I would end up having the 3D on at all times, but it's really hard, and strains my eyes. From the looks of others' comments on it though, I take it that's not too uncommon. I really only ever use the 3D for cut-scenes now. The slingshot/bow/etc. aiming with the 3DS though is very cool as well, I'm enjoying the game a lot overall.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
This is probably the best game that's been out for any DS-type system in a very long time. (I do really like the Phoenix Wright series, but that's beside the point)

Yeah, it's just like playing OoT all over again. I've been enjoying the 3D remake so much that I decided to go on a 100% run. To be honest, I never did that for OoT. I'm even thinking about trying to catch the Hylian Loach.

And even with that I've been trying so hard to be slow about beating this by talking to pretty much everyone in the game, even if they really don't affect my quest that much. So yeah, I've only just beaten the Water Temple.

As for the 3D, I like it so much, that I use it almost everywhere, even though it makes me extremely tired. :p

3D makes the graphics even more awesome, so yeah. Also, I kinda like the darker places that some are saying were made too bright. I don't really see a difference... The only thing I'm disappointed hearing about is the removal of the blood stains from the Bottom of the Well and the Shadow Temple... and the Dead Hand.

Okay, sorry for babbling and rambling, but I honestly am having an extremely neat experience here.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
So, it seems lik I kinda had to adjust to the 3D effect. It is not nearly as strenuous as it used to be, and I can keep it on for quite a while now without noticeable irritation.

It's still annoying how finicky it is with where you hold the 3DS, so when I'm in a more action packed area like a boss fight I turn it off because when I'm mashing on buttons I move the 3DS around a lot.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I find the 3D effect really bad whenever I watch gossip stone visions and I always see double when watching those unless it's all the way down, but any other time I'm playing the game I can use the 3D effect fine with it's a bit up

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I just keep the 3D off, unfortunately.

The ghosting is too much of an annoyance for me to ignore.

With my case, how would Nintendo advertise the 3DS now?

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I also got fed up with constant adjusting holding the 3DS because seeing double would get irritating. I even toned down the 3D and it was still iffy. This is the only game so far I have to play with the 3D off.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The 3DS' main campaign is 3D without the glasses. Since I can't play the 3DS comfortably, I want to know how they plan on advertising the handheld for someone like me who can't play it for the 3D.

What would they offer? That's all I'm thinking about.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The 3DS' main campaign is 3D without the glasses. Since I can't play the 3DS comfortably, I want to know how they plan on advertising the handheld for someone like me who can't play it for the 3D.

What would they offer? That's all I'm thinking about.
the 3DS is a lot more powerful than the DS, you know. the 3D isn't the only selling point of it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Everything LT said.

ZIO, what if Nintendo announced a MM remake for the 3DS? Would it be worth it then, regardless of your stance on the 3D feature?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Don't get me wrong, I am thinking about it objectively.

I, myself, was sold with the OoT.

But I am wondering what will Nintendo do with the product for someone who cannot use the 3D feature.

Toilet, you realize just having Nintendo franchises will not cut it. The 3DS is less of a package for the same price compared to the Vita. The market isn't as it was six years ago. What with iOS also sharing this market, although not being direct competitors.

Well - this is a subject that should be discussed elsewhere, but all I'm expressing is interest in how sales will chug along and how the companies will attack their customers.

And speaking of, Spire - A REMAKE of MM would be boss as hell. But if it's like what they did for OoT, then that's no remake. It's more an enhanced port - the definitive Yo copy of OoT as of this time. You know?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Toilet, you realize just having Nintendo franchises will not cut it. The 3DS is less of a package for the same price compared to the Vita. The market isn't as it was six years ago. What with iOS also sharing this market, although not being direct competitors.
I disagree, and I imagine many people do as well. First/second party Nintendo games might not be enough for you, but they are definitely what sells the consoles more than anything else.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm not meaning to trash the Vita (I just got a PSP and it's not bad), but Vita will never be more "of a package" for me because I'm much more into Nintendo's games than Sony's.

To me, the package is completely worthless if there aren't games with it that I will play. Right now there is not a single game that makes me give the Vita a second look. Nintendo has tons of first party games coming out. So many that I'm shocked they're releasing them all at once.

The 3D was NEVER a factor in me wanting to get the 3DS. The 3D is merely a gimmick, and I don't really use it. I know my eyes do not need that. I still believe getting the 3DS was the best decision. The games may be marketed for being 3D, but there is so much more to them than that. Nintendo markets by gimmicks, because they know that's what will make their games sell to the casual market. However, in reality, 3D is pointless. So I don't see how you're basing the 3DS so much off of its 3D. It (the 3D) will never matter, sure, but it being pointless by nature, means that Nintendo has to do more with their games than just make them 3D. The 3DS already has high potential by bringing the first new full 3D (as in SM64 3D) Mario platformer to a handheld.

It's a completely different console from the DS, even without the 3D.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm not going to argue about this.

The sales come this holiday will show us what the market thinks of it and the Vita.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I turn 3D off too half the time, the ghosting is so annoying. x_x

I really liked a lot of the touch ups... but the Shadow Temple...

They changed the freaky, FREAKY pictures into dragon head things, and... what they did to the boat really surprised me.

I haven't gotten farther than that, but it's all looking pretty good. Looking forward to the Master Quest, since I never got to play the original Master Quest...

majora_787

Smash Hero
The only thing I wish they would have done was fix the Stalfos glitch. x_x That was so annoying...

And is it just me, or are Gibdos... I don't want to say cheap, but... don't they seem a little too unforgiving? xD

EDIT: I don't mean to get off topic, but this was a very nice overhaul and I wish they would do this for Majora's Mask too. JUST getting that out there.

Top Bottom