• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Power Rankings #5.00000001337 (4/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swordsaint

Smash Master
everytime he was being a **** to someone I gave it back to him.
no, just no

stop spreading lies.

if anyone has a problem with me being a **** to them. feel free to TELL me. then maybe I'll know to stop, but afaik, no ones TOLD me I've been a **** to them.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
When did Vic ever do rankings with an Elo-like system? lulz

Personally I like it, it's a proven ranking system.

tedeth

Smash Master
From what I gather, the whole points next to their names thing is based on tourney results, and they are ranked like that.

Thus, it is a ranking, bu not a traditional "Power ranking" which takes other things into consideration.

Toby.

Smash Master
I fail to see how having a points system AND a normal PR would be worse than the standard PR by itself. The points layout shows a black and white perspective that is in many ways quite useful. It takes stupidly easy bracket runs into account rather than just looking at who wins the tournament overall.

Liam, I assume you have a reason for saying that points are stupid...?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
because if you rearrange the letters in the word points, and then change those letters, you get stupid.

Toby.

Smash Master
Answering my own question:

The main issue I see with the points system lies in the distribution of points - the skill gap between players could be much larger than their ranking would otherwise indicate. This would mean that players would get far more or less points than they really deserve for a win/loss.

Pretty sure you could fix that problem with a good algorithm though.

edit: lol thanks luke.

The fact that a points system allows for updates on a tournament to tournament basis means that it serves as a good rough guide of where the scene is in between power rankings (which are honestly only really valid for a short time after release).

tedeth

Smash Master
There are a couple of problemsI have with a points system.

For 1 thing, hypothetically, if there was a player who for some reason could only attend every second or third tourney due to a good reason, but won every single tourney he came to, he would be at a severe disadvantage and despite clearly being the best, he would not be shown as such.

Another thing is, if someown were say, playign with a broken hand, we as the PR panel would be like "well, they were playing with a broken hand, so we should cut them some slack", but again, a points system would **** them for that tourney.

Also we can take into consideration much more carefull y an up and coming player's victory over a skilled veteran and recognise that. Even if an up and comer comes close to beating a top player we can be like "wow, hey really played well", which could have us see them in a different light.

EDIT: Also, with our scene's inconsistant player base, something like this would be annoying to manage. "Oh the last tourney had 5 new people and 5 people seem to have quit the scene. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!"

C~Dog

Smash Champion
because if you rearrange the letters in the word points, and then change those letters, you get stupid.
Was I the only one who found this really, really, really funny? Seriously, I keep laughing at this, and I really shouldn't be, but I can't help it.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
there is also of course the old if it aint broken, dont fix it.

is there any problem with our panel right now? does anybody disagree in any placings on there?

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Well, several ranked players have been missing from each of the recent BOOSTs, so I think its hard to really make any accurate points, other than Scabe is a beast.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I'm so ****, someone teach me how to play the game!

Well, I just liked the system since it involves everyone. :p

Also I hope Zxv and Toby get power ranked for the next one, since they're full of ****.

Toby.

Smash Master
There are a couple of problemsI have with a points system.

For 1 thing, hypothetically, if there was a player who for some reason could only attend every second or third tourney due to a good reason, but won every single tourney he came to, he would be at a severe disadvantage and despite clearly being the best, he would not be shown as such.

Another thing is, if someown were say, playign with a broken hand, we as the PR panel would be like "well, they were playing with a broken hand, so we should cut them some slack", but again, a points system would **** them for that tourney.

Also we can take into consideration much more carefull y an up and coming player's victory over a skilled veteran and recognise that. Even if an up and comer comes close to beating a top player we can be like "wow, hey really played well", which could have us see them in a different light.

EDIT: Also, with our scene's inconsistant player base, something like this would be annoying to manage. "Oh the last tourney had 5 new people and 5 people seem to have quit the scene. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!"
All valid, which is why I don't see the point is replacing the current system with points.

BUT it remains a great overview of how players are going in tournaments. As long as people have enough grey matter to understand that it doesn't show the entire picture, I think it has substantial merit. Its an easy to understand representation of information that is mostly only looked at by PR panelists. Making it accessible is goooood.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Actually, a guy who only showed up to 1 in 3 tournaments, but won every single one wouldn't necessarily be no.1 on a points based system, but he would be very high up there.

ELO systems work that you get more points for beating people with higher points.
The fact that he would go near lossless would only mean his points would increase. Also when he goes to a tournament and beats someone with higher points than them, their points would decrease more noticeably than otherwise.

In other words, its very feasible for someone to **** tournaments non-stop for 6 months, and never show up again, but remain no.1 in points.

I always thought that having a points system for individual players who play in doubles would be nice.
Power ranking "doubles" is convoluted as heck, and would also be helpful in seeding any one team if a player does well in doubles but not in singles (and/or regularly changes team partners).

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
Get working those little grey cells.
Also Toby shouldn't be on the PR since he lost to EA who isn't on the PR
Someone say I lost to Gopo.
Also Toby for PR number 1.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
you lost to gopo
there I said it

who cares shaya, what we all really want to know is where the **** is ILAG!?

Nanda

Smash Ace
So I assume we aren't using the Elo system right for PR????

If i place higher than Luke/Scabe/Jon at the next BT (highly unlikely cuz of the ****ing Atyeo ruleset) will i be close to gettign PRed???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom