• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Elysium's Sydney Tournaments: TITLE TOO LAZY TO EDIT - TED

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
bull cricket, next time i will actually play well and take my revenge on foxy for beating me in the last amateur finals.
Gords will take revenge on Foxy, I will get revenge on Lux, then Gords vs Invisi Amateur finals. BRING IT

Gords

Smash Champion
the batsted?
the burger at fuel to much for me.

I don't seem to get RSI any more after playing melee.

Rock climbing powers perhaps?
it probs wasnt RSI, felt more like i had lifted something the wrong way. it probably was something earier in the weekend and all the smash just aggravated it.

Gords will take revenge on Foxy, I will get revenge on Lux, then Gords vs Invisi Amateur winners finals. Then Gords vs Foxy Epic Grand Finals rematch of the ToonCentury. BRING IT
edited for correctness

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
So, I've watched all the matches now, except doubles. I must say, my matches were a lot closer than I remember. I'll probably rewatch my matches and critique anything I see that I was taking advantage of

PS. EA, the vid labelled Shaya vs Zxv also has the last two matches from your set with him at the beginning

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Luco - You clearly did a lot better in the second match than in the first. You may think that means that you did better as Ness than as Lucas, but I disagree. I think it was more a reflection of the stage choice. A large, open stage like FD is ideal for Pit against characters who can't do much about his arrows. You did well powershielding and absorbing a few of them, but unless you can fight back from afar, you're not going to get anywhere unless you approach. Lucas can fight at mid-range better than Ness with short hop PK fire, but neither character has the long range ability that Pit has. Lylat Cruise, with its low platforms, smaller size, and tilt, is definitely a better choice. It made it much harder for me to camp you at range, and you did put up a good fight close up. Basically, consider your stage options in each matchup; not only how you might use each stage, but how your opponent might use the stage against you.

Escro - You had a number of deaths which seemed to result from bad DI. DI may be a difficult concept to learn, and to master, but having good DI is essential to being a good smasher. I learned about DI some time last year, and noticed a significant improvement at the first tournament I attended after learning about it. While your top priority should be avoiding kill moves, you need to be ready to adapt, and ready to DI any kill moves as soon as they hit you.

Zxv - Your skill clearly shows in your control of the set. However, you made a few mistakes which I was able to capitalise on. Most notably, you used UpB too much. Yes, it's a great OoS option for a quick punish, and you used it very well a number of times, but there were a number of times you used it when you shouldn'tve, granting me a free hit, and in many cases a kill. It's only a safe option if you hit, so using it when I'm attacking your shield is usually a good option, but you used it a few times when we were next to each other with shields up, either missing me or hitting my shield, leaving you wide open, with plenty of time for me to react.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I dont want to come off as too harsh chris, but someone of your experiance and skill really REALLY shouldnt be critiquing someone like zxv, regardless of your intentions it will make you come across as a know-it-all and other such related things.

zxv is as good as he is because he can read into the game, himself, and other players on a level that you cannot understand yet, if you could, you would be much better then you are.

Also you need to take into account that tourneys are long, so good players will tend not to try or think against newer easier players, not out of dis-respect, but simply to conserve their concetraion for the later matches against the other good players.
so if you get alot of openings on zxv, that could very well be the reason, most people really wont put their all in if they dont have to.

If you guys want critiquing, play some matches against someone who has alot of skill and experience and ask them to give you some tips before hand, so that they are actively monitoring you during that match and throwing things out to test your reactions and thinking.

a good list of players to do this would be
ted
shaya
zxv
me
ricky

also watching your own matches afterwards is good and helps you learn, but you really need to learn how to do it in game, not after the game.
all the best players are able to think on their feet, read and adapt in the heat of the moment.
make sure you are watching the opponents character during the match (not your own) and use the brief break between stocks to reset your mind back into actively thinking about whats going on.
Dont fall into auto-pliot mode, unless you are playing as falco, in which case go right ahead.

Gords

Smash Champion
when are you next in sydney luke?

im thinking of holding another smash weekend at my place on the 23rd-24th june, where people could possibly stay till tuesday 26th.
how many people would be interested in this.
do i hear diabolic time chamber.

escro

Smash Ace
thanks invisi for the advice, although bad DI on my part has been a problem for me for a while. i guess i should start to make an effort to try to do it properly.

:O i think i have stuff on either the 24th or 25th, ppl finishing their exams and parties and stuff like that. we'll see, hopefully i can come to this thanks gords

Gords

Smash Champion
its not set in stone yet mainly gauging interest, i will be downloading D3 that weekend as well.

Gords

Smash Champion
Wow look at all the Invisis,

on a side note. Luke. Diabolic time chamber was Nathaniel's idea. It's a LAN meet similar to HTC, where we play through the diablo series over a few days or so

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Gords, most of the attention was on the tournament, so I forgot to say that your meet was a good meet. :) I should be able to go to your end-of-June one.

Invisi, what about constructive criticisms for my falco? We played quite a few games... btw, perhaps dash attack less at me when I can do a straight spot-dodge and dsmash.

Dont fall into auto-pliot mode, unless you are playing as falco, in which case go right ahead.
LOL.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I would like to say that I was only trying to be helpful. But I acknowledge that, as Luke said, it probably wasn't going to come out the right way. So I'd first like to apologise for any disrespect inferred, and thank you guys for not drawing attention to and making a big deal of this after Luke pointed it out (lol Ted, always a joker).

I acknowledge that I'm definitely not on the same skill level as the top players, but I do hope that doesn't exclude me from critiquing altogether. I'm glad to see escro appreciates the advice, and Lux, I plan to go over our matches, there's just so many more of them that I haven't got around to it yet.

As for a meet next week, I'll see how I go. I'll have one assignment left to finish that weekend, but it could very well be a big one. Also if smash isn't the main focus I wouldn't be as interested.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
gords gords gords, I know what it is, I'm all over that ****, I am ted you know, I know everything he does.

also good attitude invisi, basically my main point was that bright really wouldn't have been trying, again like I said not because he's intentionally being a ****, but because he would have been conserving his concentration for ted and shaya and ****.

its hard to think at the level they do for 12 hours, especially when the human brain can really only focus for about 15 minutes at a time.

I like lemons

Gords

Smash Champion
oh yeah sorry luke, i forgot about that,
and luke, i really like how you spelled ZXVs name, b right, it suits ZXV... be right

also invisi whats this about a meet next week?

Gords

Smash Champion
yeah this is why i dont like talking on forums, there was supposed to be sarcasm in that joke about bryte

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
im thinking of holding another smash weekend at my place on the 23rd-24th june, where people could possibly stay till tuesday 26th.
how many people would be interested in this.
do i hear diabolic time chamber.
also invisi whats this about a meet next week?
Oh right, May =/= June. *facepalm*

I'll see how I'm placed then, but chances are not high because that is the weekend right in the middle of my exam period.

Gords

Smash Champion
when is your final exam, although that weekend is my last weekend off for a while thats why it will probs be that weekend, and most people will have been done with their exams by then

Gords

Smash Champion
wow your exam period is so much later than ours, well i will probably have another weekend meet sometime in july since i will be forced to have at lest one weekend off in july while doing roulette training. Otherwise any meets i hold after the 24/25th june will be during the week for a while.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Lux - I didn't really feel in control in our matches, so it's hard to really say what you were doing wrong that I was punishing. Nonetheless, there are a few things I noticed.

Firstly, your chaingrab. I see you use a non-conventional pivot chaingrab. While this may require less space in front of you, it is far less effective than the conventional walk re-grab. You'll notice I footstooled you out of it on low percents a number of times.

Also, against Pit we had plenty of camp wars, but against ICs you were way too happy to approach me. ICs pose no threat if you camp them properly, so you really should be looking to camp them rather than approach.

I remember Zxv mentioning your phantasms, and I can see what he meant. There were a few times when I punished a phantasm from too far away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxi-kS_H-U&t=3m15s
You should've ledge dropped and hit me with a laser there.

That's all I really saw tbh. Your DI was annoyingly good (did you learn from Luke? lol), while mine was off quite a few times. I attacked your shield/spot dodge waaay too much, and got punished for it. If you see anything else I did, please point it out =)

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for that. I'll see what I can say to improve your play as well. Similar to what you said before, I'm just trying to help, and I apologise if it's not my place to criticise as I'm quite an inexperienced player.

Lux - I didn't really feel in control in our matches, so it's hard to really say what you were doing wrong that I was punishing. Nonetheless, there are a few things I noticed. Wow, you were getting kinda upset at some points, like when your secondary IC daired to her death. You need more control over yourself, otherwise you won't be playing to the best of your ability. Sometimes when this happens to me, I just move away and hold onto the ledge for a few moments to get myself back into the game.

Firstly, your chaingrab. I see you use a non-conventional pivot chaingrab. While this may require less space in front of you, it is far less effective than the conventional walk re-grab. You'll notice I footstooled you out of it on low percents a number of times. Yep, I probably should use the walking regrab more (some characters require the boost pivot grab for regrabs though, and I'm not experienced enough to know which yet).

Also, against Pit we had plenty of camp wars, but against ICs you were way too happy to approach me. ICs pose no threat if you camp them properly, so you really should be looking to camp them rather than approach. Actually, I only approached them when I was on low percents and thought could get out of the CG. I was aiming to CG to spike an IC.

I remember Zxv mentioning your phantasms, and I can see what he meant. There were a few times when I punished a phantasm from too far away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxi-kS_H-U&t=3m15s
You should've ledge dropped and hit me with a laser there. Didn't even think of that. That's quite situational, but I'll try to keep it in mind next time.

That's all I really saw tbh. Your DI was annoyingly good (did you learn from Luke? lol), lol really? I think that mine is bad atm. Perhaps I was lucky. And no, I haven't even had a real conversation with Luke yet. while mine was off quite a few times. I attacked your shield/spot dodge waaay too much, and got punished for it. Yep, too often you used an aerial to close to my shield and got shieldgrabbed. If you see anything else I did, please point it out =)
I thought that some of our matches were quite close actually and that I won with a bit of luck, like your IC dairing to her death, the charged fsmash hitting your Pit from behind and the charged fsmash into your ICs ledge getup.

You used ICs' dair to momentum cancel vertically once; iirc, that doesn't actually work cos it has different momentum properties (like TL, ZSS). Correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like you don't ftilt much. In http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcXMf98FvjI&list=PLB14997B35B15FB74&index=4&feature=plpp_video at the end, you used fsmash so much, and I was able to powershield them, when an ftilt could have killed me (not sure, cos I don't know ICs that well).

Perhaps your ICs are just not developed enough as you said. I broke out at 75% when I can only break out of EA's at <25%, and I broke out at 129% when you were charging an upsmash.

Well done with reflecting the firefox. Seeing as you were trying to punish my phantasms as well with other attacks, you can consider reflecting the phantasms as well - that would be terrifying actually. Edit: I saw you try to do that in one of the later videos.

I saw you mirror shield from ledge a few times; why do you do this? I'd understand if I was camping with lasers, but often I wasn't. Twice you reflected me (my dash attack and my reflector - that was funny) but you didn't get any extra advantage for it. Instead, you were punished another time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cnpCYgQK-c&feature=bf_next&list=PLB14997B35B15FB74#t=9m02s

Just wondering, why did you pick Delphino?

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I didn't say he was anywhere near as good, but now that I look at it, that was never going to come out as intended... I guess trying to say what I meant now is a bit too late

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Invisi, I don't think you're getting the point... Luke is known for his absolutely -horrible- DI.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
That's if you hit him sideways. I couldn't seem to kill Lux off the top.

Top Bottom