• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Elysium's Sydney Tournaments: TITLE TOO LAZY TO EDIT - TED

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
TOs would be more motivated to organise things if more people came to them. there is more enjoyment at tournaments the more people/competition are present. tell me what competition ted has at tournaments these days
Fair enough.

However, Ted has fun with smaller tournaments even if there aren't top players like him (correct me if I'm wrong). You know him; joyous guy. There aren't that many players in Australia of his level, so simply increasing the numbers wouldn't give him much competition.

tedeth

Smash Master
The way I got to my level though, and the way everyone else would improve, is a larger player base. I managed to improve quickly and still manage to play at a high level because I travel. Even though I don't practice that regularly, I have played so many different playstyles that I can react well to a wide variety of situations.

A larger player base may not help me too much, but it very well may create more competition and faster improvement to relatively new players who show a lot of potential like yourself Lux, which I am all for.

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
I'd like to know when. It's been ages since the last one. :)

:phone:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Toby left, so we lost the enthusiasm of 6, 7 or so people from the eastern suburbs of Sydney.

S.D left, so we lost the 5+ consistent people from the hunter.

Luke left, so we lost the 5 sometimes a lot more people from ACT.

Pillars of the scene hold things together!
True but with the renewed interest in a tournament I think we could garner enough people.

... Think being the key word. We usually would get somewhere between 15-40 people per tourney right? Can we still get that again?

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
If anything, most of those contestants would flock over to Brawl as opposed to Melee, which doesn't get as much love. Both Project M and Melee need more players.

:phone:

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Was awesome back when melbourne used to get 40 people regularly. Dont think I'll see that happening again xD. Maybe when the new smash comes out ;o (If it isnt ****, which it probably will be lol)

S.D

Smash Master
Was awesome back when melbourne used to get 40 people regularly. Dont think I'll see that happening again xD. Maybe when the new smash comes out ;o (If it isnt ****, which it probably will be lol)
First tournament I ever went to in Melbourne at couchwarriors.

Supposed to be melee/brawl singles/doubles.

50 people show up, 4 TVS. Brawl singles only. Took all day/night.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Oh I dont think I went to that one. I did hear about that tournament though. But yeah, the community really sucked at supplying equipment back then. Never enough setups of anything. D: (Bunch of tvs, no consoles. Then the other way around the next tournament lol.)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
How many people did we have at that tournament I went to in early 2012? (it was the last one i went to) I remember there being a lot. Probs between 20-30 at the least?

I'm sure smash 4 will revive the scene, if only for a while. But i'm really optimistic. :p

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
im pretty sure it was barely less than 20, if not then definitely nowhere near 30. either way, that (or any other) tournament isn't really an indicator of a consistent attendance number because we rarely have tournaments these days.

actually I'm pretty sure sydney has never broken 40 in its brawl days, "majors" aside.

anyway what will happen with smash 4 is, tons of new people will show up with a great interest, and all the people already in the scene who play brawl will be like UGH IT'S NOT AS GOOD and all the people in the scene who play melee will be like UGH IT'S EVEN WORSE, but hopefully the new guys will make it work and maybe there will be some activity again for a while. sound familiar?

Gords

Smash Champion
lol EA,

anyways, as people should already know, i am having a long meet at my place from the 3rd-5th feb.
however since there is so much interest in a tourney, if i were to host a house tourney (played pretty much like how it would usually, just at my place) on sunday 3rd feb how many people would be interested in coming.

it would be a bit cramped but we dont have to worry about time or anything and i can record/stream some stuff. However not everyone will be able to stay the night since i dont have that much space, only a select group will be able to, pretty much those that were originally going to come for my meet anyway can stay over still for the remainder of the meet.

let me know soon, if interest is right ill do it

Gords

Smash Champion
Also, if i were to host, the tourney would go from 10:30am to whenever, but probs be finishing everything except finals and such by 6pm ish, and would include brawl, melee and project M of course.

@shaya
on the 31st?, 3 days is plenty time to recover,:p,
beside im thinking that everyone who is still around in the late afternoon can escape for a bit to go to pizza hut for dinner

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I should be able to make it on Sunday. I have a family event that weekend; I'm pretty sure it's on Saturday, but I'd have to double check. I can't stay for Monday/Tuesday.

Gords

Smash Champion
OK i have decided that it doesnt matter how many people put interest in or not for the house tourney, so since I was looking at having people over anyway I will host a tourney for anyone that wants to come on Sunday 2nd Feb. Depending on how many people show up not everyone can stay the night, remember my place is not very big.

Games will include Brawl, Melee and Project M. Rules will be exactly the same as usual and entry fee will remain the same per game. There will not be the venue fee or lunch fee either.
However I do have cans of coke available but i might charge people $1 a can (sunday only) so when we run out we can buy some more.
Also since i have to be there when others are there, I am thinking that we will all leave for lunch at the same time, probs around 2-3pm for lunch.

I probably will be there for the Monday and the Tuesday
so not coming on sunday for the house tourney

Gords

Smash Champion
double post since im in a rush

for those that dont know where my place is, it is at UNSW.
If you dont have my number PM me and ill give it too you.

Having my phone number is kinda a requirement for entry.

for anyone coming please let me know (for meet/tourney)

ted it might be a good idea to update the thread title.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
for all the times ted has updated the title im pretty sure he doesnt even know how.

Top Bottom