• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Wow I've got a lot of catching up to do........ Let's see what everyone has been saying about me. XD

fox is better than falco.
Fox has been like the most consistently ownage char guy between all the smash games right?
fox is apparently king of 64 king of melee and mid in brawl or something
Also Fox's usmash is BROKEN!!!!
Get ***** doesn't do this post justice XD.
You know you love it.

@Luke: Awesome posts as usual. (shirt hops XD. I'm sorry Gords, but you walked right into that one.) So I don't suppose you'll be heading up to the tourney this Monday with Ted? If you are then would there be room for me? I was thinking of going, so just let me know what your plans are. If it's not possible, then I'll work something else out. You are going right XD?

Yeah I'm done.

Gords

Smash Champion
@Tim/Sam
I hear that tim is holding a meet on the sunday. Definately interested in going to that as well. need some smash practice, especially after last weekends experience. If at all possible is it ok to stay the sunday night and get a lift to boost with either one of you two.
I will be training it down and can get off at broadmeadow, although off memory i think the train arrives in broad meadow at some rediculus hour of the morning like 4am or something, so maybe not the best idea. alternatively i could come down the sat night where the train arrives around 7pm-ish.
anyways ill need to know soon so i book tickets as they fill up fast around this time of year and esp. being a weekend.
@tim/Sam
just quoting this since I will need a response by tomoz.
Already the sat night journey is booked out so I won't be on the train arriving broadmeadow at 4am Sunday
if I cant stay sat night I will just go all the way into Sydney and try to get to tim's meet if I can stay Sunday. Otherwise I will have to give it a miss:(

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
dont you mean shame luke isnt going to this, I have to work on monday so I cant make it. sorry foxy :(

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Proposition:

Replacing Final D with Yoshi's Island Brawl in the 'three staple neutrals'?

To be completely honest, just about everyone cancels FD. having both FD and Smashville as neutrals seem to give too much 'power' to Diddy, ICs and Falco.
Yoshi's Island whilst not being so 'neutral in theory' as FD most likely gives a better spread of fairness in what stage is decided as the first in the set over all.

Falco v most: Falco strikes YI, opponent strikes SV.
ICs v most: ICs strike YI, opponent most likely goes SV. (ICs love the BF)
Diddy v most: Diddy strikes YI (or BF), opponent strikes SV.

Whilst FD may be the best neutral for those 3, they are barely weakened by always getting SV.

(I suppose Dedede likes FD being in the list of neutrals generally too)

Isorropia

Smash Apprentice
As one of the few people who doesn't hate yoshi's island, I support this proposition.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
So you strike it.

Please bring fourth argument for how having YI there instead of FD would be detrimental in having as many "as even as possible" neutrals being selected at the start of a set.

Tis all I need, really.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Oh don't worry i always strike Yoshi's xD

I actually don't have a problem with this, since i will never voluntarily play on that stage unless its worse for the opponent. It would be a good trial to see how it goes having YI as the neutral instead of FD.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
So you strike it.

Please bring fourth argument for how having YI there instead of FD would be detrimental in having as many "as even as possible" neutrals being selected at the start of a set.
While I'll admit FD is kinda bad as far as neutrals go, YI is in no way better. Saying you could just strike YI, could just as easily be said about FD. And While FD gives about 3 characters a good advantage, YI is even more advantageous for some, and even goes as far as to gives some characters disadvantages. The unlevel ground, wobbly platform, shy guys, ghost platforms, etc , really take away the stage's consistency too. =/

Since I'm no longer a Ness main, the above statement is in no way biassed. :p

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Now we may get some more battlefield =).
I'll be getting less. :(

Scenario A -- Opponent: "lololol WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM fd strike pl0x" (ps, I love how Melee ICs have shaped people's striking preferences against me, thx br0). Me: "teehee i heart battlefield"

Scenario B -- Opponent: "looooool battlefield". Me: "da *** yoshis suxxors, smashville tiems"

So yeah, BAWW BAWW I DON'T GET MY BEST STAGE. I'm against this, not because it's bad for me/ICs, but because I just hate Yoshi's so much, I don't enjoy playing on it at all. Putting it in there means there's potential for it to be played... right?

But in fairness, the logic is sound and I agree completely, so whatever.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
lols everytime shaya makes a change to the stage list it becomes more and more in favor of snake.

Splice

Smash Hero
lols everytime shaya makes a change to the stage list it becomes more and more in favor of snake.
My Theory/Opinion is that the closer you get to having a stage list of just neutrals, the more you highlight higher tier characters and reinforce their position. So heavily benefit Snake and MK.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Pretty much the idea is that
ICs/Falco/Diddy/D3 generally -****- on FD, and barely get weakened by smashville (ICs being the exception, they wub the BF better).
The idea is to reduce having a character being '**** status' for 2 out of the 3 neutrals in just about every match up.

Snake cannot claim this, nor can MK. People who own on YI don't have unbelievable dominance on the other neutrals either.

UNLESS I'M MISSING SOMETHING.

Personally I'd be striking YI against Snake, I'll still be playing Smashville against Luke like everytime. And some characters (varying projectilers) would prefer YI against Snake anyway. Hell I'm probably happier to play Snake on FD though. HELLO 99% PREDICTABLE LANDING OPTIONS LOLOLOLOL.

Toby.

Smash Master
My Theory/Opinion is that the closer you get to having a stage list of just neutrals, the more you highlight higher tier characters and reinforce their position. So heavily benefit Snake and MK.
And yet stages like norfair and mansion were banned partly because metaknight is invincible there.

All your counterpick stages simply make it impossible to stop MK or Snake from going somewhere where they have a guaranteed win.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Favours Marth imo.

I'm pretty gayed by this...

Scoot vs Shaya:
Scoot strikes YI or BF, both hard to pick. Marth ***** on BF, Falco is hindered on Yoshis.
Shaya strikes SV ( THE REPLACEMENT FD)

I have no choice but to play COUNTERPICKED, in the first match.

It's stupid and I'm angry.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Snake cannot claim this, nor can MK.
he pretty much can, wheter you have it as YI or FD doesnt change much for him, snakes only real bad stages are japes (can be good for him in the right matchups) and rainbow cruise (can be good for him in the right matchups)

and you banned both of those so yeah, snake can claim **** neutrals, or anything stage really.

espcially since there are alot of snake mains who claim his best stage is battlefield, and alot of snake mains who claim his best stage is smashville, and yoshi's is great for him too whilst being bad for a fair few number of chars.

anyways if there is going to be alot of argueing I'm sure we can amend the 3 neutrals to pictochat, spear piller and hanenbow, no?

I LAG

Smash Lord
I am totally in favour of YI over FD as a neutral even though now instead of striking FD all the time i will have to strike YI.

i just dont think FD is fair because some chars just **** on it
and making YI a neutral instead of FD will definitely speed up the tourney.

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
About the stage change lol DK but :( Ike.

Also Shaya and Ted i'll need to talk to you about getting to SQUAT and stuff at the tournament.

Gords

Smash Champion
i dont aggree with the change at all, i dont see much reson for it to change. you mention FD give benefit to 3 characters but YI give more characters benefits than FD does and some characters are disadvantaged.

your reasoning for the change is a spread of fairness but i cant see it and SV will still be played just as much since people that usually struck FD or BF will now stike YI and the other person will strike the other as usual.

some characters are gona get it better on the nuetrals, thats how it is. look at melee nuetrals. there fine as is but you wont want to fight a marth on Yoshi, or peach on dream land. its the same thing

if you want the first match to be fairer you may as well go back to the old system of nuetrals being FD, BF, SV, YI, Lylat, PS1 and random select with on stage cancel, with one stage cancel.

or you could just get rid all the stages and go with lukes nuetral stage list

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
IMPORTANT

A bit of a mixup at the bowling alley, ughh.
The function room was doubled booked because of the whole "never thought they'd book on a weekday thing" (lol).
This isn't too much of an issue as you may think, but Savva (the manager) was very apologetic about the mix up.
Instead of getting the room downstairs, we're going to be upstairs in where the kiddy parties usually happen. The only disadvantage being a bit less space and the stairs, but all equipment being brought up will be given help with and stuff. And as it's Monday the bowling alley is expected to be dead quiet.

Advantages: Savva said due to the mix up we won't be charged the venue fee, and he'll be giving us a couple of jugs of soft drinks. Since the tournament will be in clear view of the alley, there is most likely going to be more opportunity for people to bowl if they wish.

Venue fee options?
- Don't charge it
- Smash bank it (smash bank is at $150, and we'd probably need more than that if we're considering a major sometime next year)
- Distribute it back through the pots.
- Distribute it back through like drinks or something (Like I'll guarantee that for lunch everyone gets a drink or something)
or a mixture of the above

-

I see DEHF and SK92 happily play on Battlefield as the neutral just about every set they play on. Marth and all. Same applies to ADHD with Diddy.

Whilst YI gives some characters **** advantages,
None of those characters also have specific advantages on the other two stages.
Snake does well on neutrals, duh. Thanks for the valid contribution Luke.
The change gives Falco a nerf (well it was the point anyway), but how much of match up change is there between losing Smashville with BF anyway. It's the weighing of the scales a bit here, Falco gets a COUNTERPICK STAGE as his starter guaranteed against -everyone-.

swordsaint

Smash Master
You just know I was going to beat you this time unless you did this. Cowardly move imo.

Honestly Shaya, it really does seem like this stage list benefits you more than anyone. Eh, I'll just beat you anyway.

Our pots are already bigger than other states. Smash bank it I think.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Bank it and have a god**** major already.

I haven't been to Sydney in a while. (Never, except that time I drove through on the way to Melbourne.)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Pokemon Trainer also gets a boost from the change,
You have strayed down the wrong path in finding the culprit for this change, imo, cowardly move blaming me for it =).

Also I'm pretty sure Marth gets weakened from the change. Who does Marth lose to?
META KNIGHT.
Need I say more, **** those meta lag mains begging me for a chance to win sets. dohohohoho

Top Bottom