• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

Sieg

Smash Champion
Haha, Marth loses to Metaknight.

Who doesn't lose to Metaknight?

Can that even be an argument? lol.

I LAG

Smash Lord
was shaya refering to me?

and marth pretty decent against mk on FD

and i like the idea of the shaya's pocket smash bank

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'd assume not.

Leaving may be a bit harder, because we don't have direct access to the carpark like before, but we'll be able to bring stuff through the carpark in the morning.
(The people taking the room downstairs arrive at around 3)

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Hello NSW, ill come to another Boost someday =) actually host a major or something semi major with oos attendance.
My Snake will miss FD though and he doesn't like Yoshi's
hmm Squirtle on the other hand...

swordsaint

Smash Master
scoot, what you said was silly and wrong.

you should feel somewhat ashamed imo
it was a troll

and you should feel trolled imo

i actually spoke to shaya about it on msn and pretty much agreed with everything
---
falco does fine on all the stages still left

i never play FD anyway

more variety in stages forces people to overcome personal stage weaknesses or lack of knowledge about them

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
chucked out fd for yi? lol. im never going to a nsw tourney ever again. if like 3 chars worst stage in the game, and few chars best. and those **** ghost platforms are totally broken and match ruining. and ics cg is waaaaay more difficult there too O_o

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
chucked out fd for yi? lol. im never going to a nsw tourney ever again. if like 3 chars worst stage in the game, and few chars best. and those **** ghost platforms are totally broken and match ruining. and ics cg is waaaaay more difficult there too O_o
Few chars best? In terms of the current stage list, it's only DKs best.
Those ghost platforms are awesome, and totally EXCITING POWER UP creating in a match.
Oh nooh Ice Climbers now have ONLY TWO STAGES they're good on out of the three, should you even go to Genesis?

:laugh:

tedeth

Smash Master
Few chars best? In terms of the current stage list, it's only DKs best.
Those ghost platforms are awesome, and totally EXCITING POWER UP creating in a match.
Oh nooh Ice Climbers now have ONLY TWO STAGES they're good on out of the three, should you even go to Genesis?

:laugh:
How could you not ****ing ban that? ****.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

EDIT: No censor on extended swear words? Who knew?

Attila_

BRoomer
isnt it also wolf's best stage? and mk is **** on it too...

and its ness/lucas worst stage, and sucks for most chars that focus on projectiles.

and besides, forcing mk players to cancel fd is a good thing. gives them less amazing options. its not like fd is bad for mk. its just not as amazing as everything else is.

and the platforms are game changing. can save those in a completely hopeless situation, and have, on more than one occasion, intercepted a pk thunder while i was trying to recover, sending me hopelessly to my doom.

*sigh*

Sieg

Smash Champion
I love how ghost platforms are suddenly totally problematic in Brawl whereas in Melee they were fine.

Also, I love how Melbourne and Sydney are starting to change their whole ruleset to accommodate with what they think is best. It's interesting to see the difference of opinion in these egotistical posts you guys all make lol.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
YI Melee had the cloud. Dreamland 64 had the wind. Doesn't Melee Battlefield have some sort of random gravity modifier too?

You do know we use stage striking in Sydney right?
For Ness/Lucas, whilst forced to cancel YI, are hardly put in any more predicament against anyone on other stages.

There is more diversity in having YI Brawl as a starter over Final D. Final D has pretty much Smashville like qualities in terms of match ups except MORE amplified in several match ups in one opponent's favour.
A stage that may slightly weaken some projectiles? Compared to 100% of stages being pretty awesome for them?

From what I recall, the ghosts appear after a set period of time after someone had gone onto that side of the [off] stage. I think, I believe this is what Ricky told me a while ago at least.

-

This isn't exactly a drastic rule change. Sydney has had a reasnably conservative rule set for a while. FD is pretty much NEVER USED as a neutral. YI is arguably more neutral in terms of how screwed up FD throws match ups into one character's favour.

Attila_

BRoomer
fd is never used as a neutral because mk and co dont find it particularly awesome. but now youre freeing them up, allowing them to cancel another stage; making the gayness even worse. for example, logically if i choose ics against an mk, they would cancel fd, i would cancel bf, and we'd end up fighting fair and square on sv. but now he would strike sv, leaving me to choose either bf or yi, which both are disadvantageous for ics. and this is a common scenario. it gives those who benefit from platforms way too much freedom.

oh, and can people stop saying diddy is **** on fd? its really not true at all.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
well the thing is attila we have 1 metaknight main in sydney, so who cares about mk, and at least we dont have STUPID stages like mansion and norfair. logically those are THE gayness of gay.

Attila_

BRoomer
@dekar: not true at all. i cp it against tibs.

@luke: we no longer have them. it took a year, but we finally got rid of them. and i should also mention that marth normally cancels fd, also giving him two advantageous stages in most situations (after cancelling sv/yi).

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I dont know about you Attila,

BUT ICS DO PRETTY GOD **** WELL ON BATTLEFIELD.
Lol never ending uairs.
And I'd prefer SV against ICs in general so I can be like, "yo dawg, I hear you like platforms, so we put this moving platform that's like faster than IC's runspeed, so when you play 'hit and run' you dont even have to run"

Marth is pretty neutral about his neutrals. He dislikes FD against those who **** on FD (i.e. the ones getting the overpoweredness from this). Dislikes YI against D3, Snake and MK (2 of those being his 2 hardest match ups) but in general would prefer SV or BF anyway.

Attila_

BRoomer
ics love bf, except against characters with disjoints that gimp nana easily. mk/marth/wario/snake there is suicide. should be unwinnable. nana gets ***** real hard against those chars on bf. but i prefer it against almost everybody else. but fd is always nice too...

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I dont know about you Attila,

BUT ICS DO PRETTY GOD **** WELL ON BATTLEFIELD.
Lol never ending uairs.
And I'd prefer SV against ICs in general so I can be like, "yo dawg, I hear you like platforms, so we put this moving platform that's like faster than IC's runspeed, so when you play 'hit and run' you dont even have to run"

Marth is pretty neutral about his neutrals. He dislikes FD against those who **** on FD (i.e. the ones getting the overpoweredness from this). Dislikes YI against D3, Snake and MK (2 of those being his 2 hardest match ups) but in general would prefer SV or BF anyway.
your usuage of memes is terrible and you should feel bad

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
hey guys the "ghost platform" is called cornelius

he would like to be called be his name

he works very hard lifting that platform every day all year long and deserves some credit IMO

swordsaint

Smash Master
stage list is only bad if you dont have experience on them

BF > SV for icies anyway..

Mother kids can just ban YI.

Attila, you're serious post is like as bad as my troll post. =/

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
either way, its shayas tourney, and his rules so there.

also just for the lols attila I feel the need to post this
people who are not from melbourne should realise that melbourne knows what's good for melbourne and should stay out of melbourne's affairs (that incidently occur in melbourne).
works two ways no?

although I love the irony, I feel we all should have a say in each others scenes since we all travel alot.
<3 come back soon!

Attila_

BRoomer
i was waiting for that one to be pulled up luke. ok fine, but when marth suddenly wins everything, dont come running back to me!

:)

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Meh Snake doesn't do nearly as well on stages like battlefield and yoshis when versing aerially based characters imo.
In other cases i guess the stage list isn't so bad.
I really hate Yoshi's as snake though.. heck i even prefer PS1.
We run the 5 starters in QLD so 2 strikes each, its good variety i feel though i would much prefer simply SV,BF and FD.

Pirate.

Smash Apprentice
Yeah well my opinion on the matter is:

As Pikachu or Wario i'd be banning Yoshi's island pretty much every time i play my first match, because the slopes mess with chain throws and autocancels... and everything quick attack cancel related. Also to stage scar with pikachu, or crash your bike on the ledge requires different timing to every other lipped stage, and is infinitely more difficult :ohwell:.

And for every other character that requires any sort of level ground to do precise frame perfect inputs...
-Toon link: with his retreating shda/bombpull->quickdraw
-Link: bair -> quickdraw
-Peach: with her fair height -> autocancel/sh dair -> float
-Falco: jump-phantasm, Falcos retreating shdl
-Fox: retreating sh triple laser, sh fair, sh uair
-Ganondorf: Thunderstorming
-Falcon: Manlystorming
-D3: Chaingrabs...
-IC: Chaingrab...
... among many other things
{i say retreating because you have to change to a different slope, so could be retreating or approaching}

--- anyway most of these things are mostly disabled (not enough air time) if your going from lower to high ground... (from a low point in the slope to a high point).

Also some characters have notable advantages on yoshis:
-Wolf: when hes on the ledge he controls the stage :p
-DK: lulz easy invuln frames
-Gaw: yeah approach me on the right edge, i dare you.
-Olimar: Fsmash hitbox lasts even longer if your in a dip, or if hes on a high point. (coz the pikmin hits the ground later, and so it now punishes spot dodges.
... probably other stuff

Shy guys are just an annoying variable... stopping projectiles (pikas tjolt) can cost getting a gimp kill... or them stopping a snake/link explosive so it instead explodes on you is also rather annoying and can get you killed.
Cornelius is also just an annoying variable, saving people who should have died, or setting up a kill by letting u air combo your opponent even closer to the stage boundry... and if people are stupid enough to approach you on it.. they get hurted :laugh:.

So from that... i'm saying that yoshis island really doesn't have any neutrality to the whole cast, being even the worst 'counterpick' against some of the characters. The other neutrals give characters advantages in the form of space and platforms. Yoshis island just completely destroys numerous key options and playstyles for some characters, and then creates brand new options for some other characters.

Comparitively to FD (stay with me :bee:):

Of the neutrals i find Diddy easiest on FD as Wario, as he cant control the stage as well... nor can he completely restrict a platform, or camp under a platform and force me to approach a certain way... He also doesnt have platforms from which to insta throw from. I'm under the impression that Snake also does less well on FD, of the neutrals, because of similar reasons... (more space, no c4 or grenades on platforms, no camping under platforms -> utilt trumping most approaches). MK, also, having no projectile, afaik suffers against camping on FD, characters also arn't forced to be above him, or in immediate proximity, to get nadoed/uaired.

Shayaa said:
The idea is to reduce having a character being '**** status' for 2 out of the 3 neutrals in just about every match up.
Snake cannot claim this, nor can MK. People who own on YI don't have unbelievable dominance on the other neutrals either.
The idea seems to be, to try and shaft some of the higher tiers (d3/Icies/falco), by introducing a neutral which disadvantages them, but your neglecting how many of the rest of the cast it also cripples. Would be easier just to say Smashville only. Yoshis will be an instant ban for several characters, just because of the huge disadvantages that it comes with. Whereas with FD/SV/BF, maybe the bans will be more based on what the opponents character is, because there are preferable stages for certain matchups. Against Falco/D3 sure ill be banning FD... but against MK/Snake id hope they dont ban it. if Yoshis was the 3rd option, my opponent gets to pick the from either BF/Smashville every game.

I really had nothing else todo, sorry if this is nooby/too boring :laugh:.

I LAG

Smash Lord
i dont mind the change

like before i usually always strike FD unless its against ness and now that YI is on the list instead of FD i will always strike it unless its against ness

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
YAY pirate....

Who cares.... more battlefield. If only wario ware was allowed...

I need a perfect plan for monday to get to the tourney nice and safe...

Top Bottom