• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
You referred to friendlies at Puffs saying you did well vs my diddy when I tried to spike you a ton of times. Money matters
Saying I was doing well =/= counting it for rankings. If Sergio and I both gave full consent on the set counting, I see no problem with it.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
It's that expiereince, I never ever expect to play one in tourney, and lose. So I never cared. I won't be off guard next time. :)
Low tiers require little if any experience to beat. This is why they are low tier

Doom- Taking someones word for it doesnt make it true. Friendlies and low mm's are not fun unless something cool happens.(spike, combo etc). Theres no reason to count it if the stakes dont meet the standard that was set

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Shiek? Thats the only character I fear really. (Well besides MK's that platform camp and don't approach or play dumb)

Kai, I don't really feel like thats true. You can avoid almost anything properly with some skill and a platform.

Zucco

Smash Master
maybe ill just recreate Inui vs Bleachigo then. *goes back to playing Disgaea 2*

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Doom, must I slay ye as well?

Lets say Adhd is best friends with keitaro.

Keitaro is tied with you for 8th on the rankings.

Keitaro and adhd do a set, a "serious set", and keitaro wins. But, in reality, adhd threw the set to keitaro, as planned, because it didn't hurt him, but gave keitaro a win that could actually move him up 2 spots!! Is that fair? I think not, as do you by now my dear friend.

There is no way of knowing what goes on in every "serious set" that happens. What if you "serious set" someone 231434523423 times? Is it fair to say that we must consider each of these "serious sets" the same as a tourny set or a mm of meaningful value?

Think things through, for your actions today set a precedent for tomorrow. You are indeed in a position to save the world from uselessness!

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
If im good enough to be on ill be perfectly fine and happy about it, if im not good enough to be on it, im perfectly fine with that too(dont put me on). ill just keep working and getting better and go for it again next season.:)

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
I think it's really stupid to count mms that weren't for $5 or over. in my case, i count $3 and up, but i'd say $5 is an amount that almost anyone would play their hardest for.
max, i honestly don't think it should count. although, if the panelists made a rule saying that "serious friendlies" (LOL) count towards rankings and said that it'd be in effect for this season, you really can't change that now.
is that the case?

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Doom, must I slay ye as well?

Lets say Adhd is best friends with keitaro.

Keitaro is tied with you for 8th on the rankings.

Keitaro and adhd do a set, a "serious set", and keitaro wins. But, in reality, adhd threw the set to keitaro, as planned, because it didn't hurt him, but gave keitaro a win that could actually move him up 2 spots!! Is that fair? I think not, as do you by now my dear friend.

There is no way of knowing what goes on in every "serious set" that happens. What if you "serious set" someone 231434523423 times? Is it fair to say that we must consider each of these "serious sets" the same as a tourny set or a mm of meaningful value?

Think things through, for your actions today set a precedent for tomorrow. You are indeed in a position to save the world from uselessness!
Except that it determined 14/15, it wasn't like one of us throwing the set wasn't going to affect the other. Also, it was done IN THE PRESENCE OF A PANELIST.

I think it's really stupid to count mms that weren't for $5 or over. in my case, i count $3 and up, but i'd say $5 is an amount that almost anyone would play their hardest for.
max, i honestly don't think it should count. although, if the panelists made a rule saying that "serious friendlies" (LOL) count towards rankings and said that it'd be in effect for this season, you really can't change that now.
is that the case?
No, there is no rule saying that serious friendlies count. This still WAS a money match, and most certainly a serious set that we had previously established would count for the rankings.

daisho

Smash Lord
It doesn't really matter whether the 1$ MM which is serious should count, its the fact that you counted it even though it was against the rules.

A different argument would be if it should count.

Five dollars as an amount is kinda stupid in my opinion since five dollars means different things for everybody.

I agree that if both players are aware that it is a match counting towards the ranking and they aren't extremely friendly (like same crew or best friends or w/e) then it should count. Why does money have to be the deciding factor for everything?

Also, I understand Pierce's reasoning but seriously, 7 panelists for a 15 person list is a bit much. Then again, this discussion is all online and as long as it's organized it shouldn't slow things down at all if there is a large panel and the more opinions there are the less chances for mistakes and bias's to show up.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
It doesn't really matter whether the 1$ MM which is serious should count, its the fact that you counted it even though it was against the rules.

I agree that if both players are aware that it is a match counting towards the ranking and they aren't extremely friendly (like same crew or best friends or w/e) then it should count. Why does money have to be the deciding factor for everything?
Money matters. Would you rather lose to 10 people and lose $50 or lose to 10 people in "serious friendlies"?

daisho

Smash Lord
Money matters. Would you rather lose to 10 people and lose $50 or lose to 10 people in "serious friendlies"?
Honestly I don't care about any of this yet because I'm not on this list and could not lose anything by losing in "serious friendlies"

But my point is not that money doesn't matter. My point is that to some people money matters more than others.

Some people would not go to a tournament and be able to 5 dollar money match everybody they wanted because they don't want to spend all that money on smash. If I lose a 5 dollar money match it may or may not be as important to someone else losing a 3 dollar money match.

And I meant a low money match would count, free stuff is different and should definitely not be counted.

Edit: it didn't make any sense
Edit2: Edit 1 didnt make any sense either... i meant that the grammar made my post unreadable.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Honestly I don't care about any of this yet because I'm not on this list and could not lose anything by losing in "serious friendlies"

But my point is not that money doesn't matter. My point is that to some people money matters more than others.

Some people would not go to a tournament and be able to 5 dollar money match everybody they wanted because they don't want to spend all that money on smash. If I lose a 5 dollar money match it may or may not be as important to someone else losing a 3 dollar money match.

And I meant a low money match would count, free stuff is different and should definitely not be counted.

Edit: it didn't make any sense
Edit2: Edit 1 didnt make any sense either... i meant that the grammar made my post unreadable.
Yes but there has to be SOME standard where a line is drawn and the deciding factor is clear. This is $5. I try my best starting at $3 like shadow. Doesn't matter, $5 is the standard for rankings and it is a good amount to ensure I high probability of serious play without it being a financial burden

daisho

Smash Lord
Yes but there has to be SOME standard where a line is drawn and the deciding factor is clear. This is $5. I try my best starting at $3 like shadow. Doesn't matter, $5 is the standard for rankings and it is a good amount to ensure I high probability of serious play without it being a financial burden
I understand your logic and will agree to disagree.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
where da *** is kevinM? im gonna curse you out you son of a *****!!! then im gonna murder your dog!! my cars bumper is hungry for some dog **** as much sense as that doesnt not make. ban my *** plz.

SAND ******
******!
****ING CENSOR

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
he has placed 9th-13th a few times let me see ( this is not saying he is good but just stating facts )

he beat Will and Kai those are the notables and lost to Rookie and Jash I believe and Malcolm . Thats as far as I know unless he pulls other crap off.
and minty!

he nado'ed on brinstar, it broke the eggies, and he died at a ridiculous percent XD

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
So many dumb rules to play "seriously." I try on everyone who tries back. (Unless I'm winning by a ridiculous amount or I choose a random character like my Shiek)

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Well, lets go:).

Nothing beats a von Karma's perfect logic.

What makes a good panelist I will ask on behalf of the people? An educated, impartial individual on a given subject. Do you agree with this definition? If you do not, please post your argument against it, but for now I will assume that as any reasonable thinker would...you do.

I would add that activity is needed. A panelist that is there will actually know what's going on more. They will have a more educated opinion on player skill and be more aware of important sets.

So we shall now discuss my impartiality. Any reasonable man will admit to some sort of bias while making decisions regarding himself. The panel however, SHOULD be comprised of members who dwindle this bias down to nothingness, and make decisions based on logic. Is this not the way of Socrateazy? Is this not what he is known for?
Yes, you are a great panelist. I'd just like to see some activity out of you.

You Dragon Inui, are also a man of logic, but also a man filled with evil bias. I am superior to you in this area dragon, and this is why my blade will cut so deeply through your scaly dragon armor!

Bias? Bias!? A von Karma is always intelligent and logical. Only a foolish fool too foolish to even know that he is a fool would be foolish enough to have foolish bias.

The flames against me scream inactivity, thus we shall extinguish your firey breath with reason. Be aware that I am indeed humoring you now dear dragon. For I, as a much wiser and reasonable being, am aware that impartiality, intelligence, and constant access to results and brackets can make the perfect panelist. There is no true need for activity, unless this seen by you as the only means of education.

Being active makes your opinions of skill more educated. You need to be able decide what means more, a win over Doom or a win over Bleachigo, a win over Kai or a win over Zucco. Opinions matter here. An active player will make a better call because they will see everything for themselves.

An active player is also less likely to overlook finer details at the bottom of lists that are harder to notice.

It also occurs to Socrateazy that being unable to be ranked would aid in creating a more impartial judge would it not? This is food for thought dear dragon, the last food you shall eat before your demise.

This is true...but...but....

I have attended 2 of the most popular tournaments in NJ this season, have I not? For I certainly recall paying the entry fees and slaying falcos left and right. The minimum for activity however is three, thus I seem to be rejected from the club of activity because of a lack of attendance, compiled to be one in numerical nature.

So is this to say that had I, Socrateazy, entered one more event, I would know more than the results of that third event have shown me? I would surely not hope you believe this, for I would have then need to slay you, but seeing as though the slaying has begun, I can only assume that you do, Dragon Inui, believe this to be a truth.

Well, my friend, how does someone become a name in New Jersey? How is someone seeded at an event?The people should agree that this is done by competing, and doing impressive things. I agree with this, as you should Dragon Inui. Well, if this is to be agreed upon, then would not my knowledge of two NJ events, equip me for the results and upsets possible in the third event, if I were to attend it? This is to say, in simpler terms.

1. A person is seen as good, by what they have done in the past.
2. I have been to 2 events this season, I assure you this is true.
3. The opinion of the players of my third event, if I had chosen to attend, would have been based on the happenings of the events preceding it. Of these events, I am of the most educated for I was there.
4. I am offered results from the third event, that I did not choose to attend, but the happenings are only what they are because of the happening in the preceding events, thus, my understanding of these events is not compromised in the slightest.

Do I need to simplify this once more?

I attend 2 events where Zucco and kai also attend.
2. At a third event, Zucco is defeated by kai.
3. I, with my understanding of their abilities, due to witnessing FIRST HAND their abilities and results, can analyze the importance and impact of this result without being present. Because this is based SOLELY on what image they have created in PREVIOUS events, events that I attended.

Just...enter something before the end of the season! Show your face to the community! A panelist makes important decisions and is in a position of leadership to some degree!

My dear Dragon friend, I benevolently offered you a chance to retract your untrue claims, but you did not. Thus I have slayed you, with impeccable logic. I have indeed proven to be what I have defined, a good panelist. I have also proven that my lack of attendance, compiled to be One in numerical nature, has in no way compromised my understanding of the happenings within our state.

Can you refute the words of Socrateazy? For I have slain you dear dragon, you have indeed, been slain.

You can still be a panelist...since Atomsk doesn't want to. I'd still like Doom to be on the panel.

Biased? I agree with Inui when he's right. If he's not, I just concede from the argument to avoid a drawn out debate. I provided TONS of information last night and essentially crafted the bottom five on the list myself, including suggesting the addition of Big M, something Inui greatly opposed. I also am responsible for Malcolm being included in the list and changing the "at least two NJ tournaments" rule to "at least two NJ/NY tournments".

I don't see why you think adding me to the panel would be detrimental in the slightest, considering I've done nothing but contribute intelligent discussion and bring up good points so far.
This is true. Doom was quite useful last night. He's informed, active, and capable of making sound judgments. He should replace Keitaro for the current rankings discussion, because Keitaro's activity has been poor even on the internet lately.

Yes I think he's better

No the loss didn't get to me, I already stated how the loss was a fluke due to RC spawning a platform as I dair and letting him punish the landing lag. Doesn't matter, he won.

It's not low. You just said yourself he's gotten way better. Why is it so surprising for me to think he's better than you? He does well, goes close with top players, and took ally to last hit game 1 on sunday after having the majority lead all game.
Doom has more wins and is clearly better. I have no idea why you think otherwise even after you explained it, because you are basing it on so little. I am certain that I would utterly crush BigM, while Doom can give me trouble.

I have talked over and discussed the situation with Ksizzle. In the future, MM worth less than $5 will not count towards rankings, regardless of player agreement.
Agreed.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Luckily the rule is in my favor. Until it is threatened you can think w/e the **** you want sergio ;)
Yes, because people I see once a month can tell when I, The Legendary Bleachigo, play to win or play to just play this garbage game. ('Cept Falco and Shiek, they are fun to use :))

But yes, while I continue to sandbag everybody not willing to throw money down to play me (lol, beating me means nothing anyway, 2-stocking people doesn't mean anything in tournament these days) I guess you are "correct"

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Yes, because people I see once a month can tell when I, The Legendary Bleachigo, play to win or play to just play this garbage game. ('Cept Falco and Shiek, they are fun to use :))

But yes, while I continue to sandbag everybody not willing to throw money down to play me (lol, beating me means nothing anyway) I guess you are "correct"
Ugh....I repeat myself a million times on the same points....ahh well, perhaps an example.

Friendlies are fun. Atomsk and I had a lot of fun doing Lucas vs sonic in friendlies then had to play in low tiers the day after this and both agree the match sucked ***. Some people, like me, actually like this game and don't find camping fun in friendlies

Top Bottom