• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Bubble tea is amazing!

Someone argue with me about that...

Yeah I didn't think so.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I'd argue the simpsons sucked but I saw some recent episodes. I felt that it is just not MY generation of simpsons and that it is different. It was depressing watching it knowing that my favorite writers and directors are gone to better things. Conan is on the tonight show, Brad Bird making amazing movies and the rest are back on FUTURAMA.

Simpsons is still way better than family guy and its potty humor that just does not get any funner with time as compared to the simpsons.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
I'd argue the simpsons sucked but I saw some recent episodes. I felt that it is just not MY generation of simpsons and that it is different. It was depressing watching it knowing that my favorite writers and directors are gone to better things. Conan is on the tonight show, Brad Bird making amazing movies and the rest are back on FUTURAMA.
I always conceide that it is different and less consistent. I enjoyed the show upon it's release and continue to do so.

Simpsons is still way better than family guy and its potty humor that just does not get any funner with time as compared to the simpsons.
Qft. Family guy is trash. After a season of that abomination of a series I can't see who would want more

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I always conceide that it is different and less consistent. I enjoyed the show upon it's release and continue to do so.

Qft. Family guy is trash. After a season of that abomination of a series I can't see who would want more

I agree with the simpsons being less consistent yet for some reason I saw a recent episode about marge and homer marrying AGAIN and I felt the direction with making patty and selma evil in it and then good was kinda interesting. Then again I know other episodes that are not as good but I can never say there was a ****TY episode.

Family guy , on the other hand, is a mere **** stain on america ( sorry I just cannot be nice about that show ) though it is GREAT to watch clips...cause that is all that show is...a giant clip show and I am glad the simpsons avoided trying to cater to that audience and just be itself. Innovative and TIMELESS.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Simpsons insists upon itself.

The simspons is great for a reason do not dare to say it is insisting upon itself. It is not going HEY LOOK WE ARE FAMILY GUY WE DO THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER PLEASE WATCH OUR TYPICAL POP CULTURE HUMOR THAT PEOPLE 10 YEARS FROM NOW WILL NOT GET.

Its more intelligent and more sutule
but not better than family guy

Better watch what you say how dare you say it is more intelligent and subtle but not as good as family guy. Time and time again family guy has FAILED to capture audiences and even PLAGIARIZED the simpsons in attempts to make itself funny.

Ex : http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=14929265

This show cannot make anything funny without looking through a newspaper DESPERATE for humor.

Do not argue this fool accept that you are wrong.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Please...kai, anyone, enlighten me on what is so confusing.

As stated before, within the panelist discussion your accomplishments are what determine rankings. There is no "lets talk about wins" now " lets talk about losses" time. It is to be assumed that most players will have their losses, sometimes these losses will be odd. In my experiences as a panelist in the past, I have not seen, nor engaged in penalizing someone for a loss.

With this understood, are you at all claiming that someone beating your sonic in tournament whether it be low tier or not, is not a rankable accomplishment? I'm sorry but you can not have your cake and eat it too. Either you identify your sonic as a tournament viable character, or you do not. I defeated pride's yoshi in low tiers with mario, does that not count as me beating pride?

These "I might have switched" areguments are all valid, but besides the point. Be open to competition, and give credit where it is due. Kai you main sonic, anyone beating your sonic, with any character will be seen as (insert person) beating kai. Not only because of the logic, but because none of the panelists outside of Pierce will have the stamina to keep up in an arguement with Inui.<< Sorry but...without me doing the debating I have not seen anyone NOT just give up. So banking on the panel to over rule his points is a shot in the dark.

Again, your loss is not seen as a negative on your part but a positive towards the one that beat you. I personally feel as though it is a disrespectful gesture to yourself and the character you've spent a year training to argue that someone defeating it is NOT a rankable accomplishment..all due to a technicality that most likely would not have made a difference in the end.

Can Pride say..naaah Eazy I was going to use mk on you in tourny?Yes he can....but that should devalue my win? I strongly doubt that you agree. Just remember that your loss is not changing your status, but simply seen as a win for your opponent, one that I'm sure you acknowledge.
( Sorry for the repetitiveness.)

Zucco

Smash Master
I wonder if my win against pride last season actually counted towards the PR. I really don't remember seeing his name under my list of people I beat, and I wouldn't have thought to put him there since it was low tiers after all.

Zucco for 5th :bee:

Eazy23

Smash Lord
It's unfortunate that only certian people have to be put in a situation where their names can be used as wins but its the risk you take when you MAIN a low tier. Atleast man up to it if you do lose, or don't enter at all. Malcom would lose but would be honest about things, and decided not to enter a few times in the future because he didn't like it. Acting like the win isn't legit is pure whacksauce, the expired kinda that gets all clumpy at that.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master

As stated before, within the panelist discussion your accomplishments are what determine rankings. There is no "lets talk about wins" now " lets talk about losses" time. It is to be assumed that most players will have their losses, sometimes these losses will be odd. In my experiences as a panelist in the past, I have not seen, nor engaged in penalizing someone for a loss.

With this understood, are you at all claiming that someone beating your sonic in tournament whether it be low tier or not, is not a rankable accomplishment? I'm sorry but you can not have your cake and eat it too. Either you identify your sonic as a tournament viable character, or you do not. I defeated pride's yoshi in low tiers with mario, does that not count as me beating pride?

These "I might have switched" areguments are all valid, but besides the point. Be open to competition, and give credit where it is due. Kai you main sonic, anyone beating your sonic, with any character will be seen as (insert person) beating kai. Not only because of the logic, but because none of the panelists outside of Pierce will have the stamina to keep up in an arguement with Inui.<< Sorry but...without me doing the debating I have not seen anyone NOT just give up. So banking on the panel to over rule his points is a shot in the dark.

Again, your loss is not seen as a negative on your part but a positive towards the one that beat you. I personally feel as though it is a disrespectful gesture to yourself and the character you've spent a year training to argue that someone defeating it is NOT a rankable accomplishment..all due to a technicality that most likely would not have made a difference in the end.

Can Pride say..naaah Eazy I was going to use mk on you in tourny?Yes he can....but that should devalue my win? I strongly doubt that you agree. Just remember that your loss is not changing your status, but simply seen as a win for your opponent, one that I'm sure you acknowledge.
I see your point as I did when Inui presented it. These 2 parts in particular are my issue..."Either you identify your sonic as a tournament viable character, or you do not" and "Kai you main sonic, anyone beating your sonic, with any character will be seen as (insert person) beating kai".

It should be no surprise that Sonic isn't good. You're telling me, by that statement, that if I play someone with sonic and lose to Snake, Wario, Lucario, or any other characters that **** sonic, THAT would count as beating me??

I obviously use the character and I'm sure I don't have to explain the counter picking system to you, but sonic is viable against SOME characters. My original stance on the subject from the start was that I have no idea if I would go Sonic or Diddy if I saw Ike. I don't see why it should be held against me if ALL of the factors of what is considered for rankings aren't viable.

Take this situation for example(i'm not trying to involve cam into a debate, just stating hypothetical situation that may happen). I have to play cam in low tiers. We both use Sonic, the match would be Sonic dittos. I use Diddy vs sonic in regular singles. Will it count if I lose with my "main" when he is not the choice I wanted? If so that is bull****

soul ark

Smash Ace
How loose are those ideas all of the episodes plots were completely different. Is family using bits and pieces here and there yea but are they stealing whole episodes no. Besides isnt this simpsons guilty of this to some extent is all of there content orignal?

Eazy23

Smash Lord
I understand your arguement, however do you feel you are alone in these types of situations?

people sd in sets, get randomed and completely countered in the next match, trip into kill moves, get cg'd with ics, timed out by mks, camped by snakes etc. There are johns and legit reasons to lose a set, new ones popping up after every tournament. You really feel as though not being allowed to use diddy vs Ike is valid enough to discredit the Ike user? Does the fact that you could go diddy change the fact that someone was able to play this game well enough to beat your sonic with ike? I'm not at all saying you don't make sense, but as things stand now, you get the ****ty end of the stick. The only people that are going to beat you in a low tier set should be those who are better players than you. Try not to get caught up on taking losses to those people.

As for you vs Cam. What do you mean will it count? Yes, it would count as whoever beating whoever's sonic. Noone is arguing that you couldn't beat him with diddy, and no one is arguing that you couldn't beat Inui's ike with diddy. But he can argue that he wouldn't use Ike. Which makes low tiers in general look like a joke. If you are going to accept the positives that come along with having a heads up on everyone else by having an amazing low tier character that you main, accept the not so amazing part of people taking their wins against you a bit seriously and wanting recognition for it.

This raises a question though. Are players to be seen as worse when they are not using their respective mains? And if so, should their seeding not be changed as well? Someone mentioned pierce earlier. Obviously Pierce is less of a tourny threat if he decides to go all mario. If this is understood, is his seeding changed? If not, we are saying that the player is the player regardless of the character. I kinda think this should be discussed. Keitaro has gone all PT, Pierce all mario, Vex all bowser, Inui could go all Ike if he wanted, Puff is going all jiggs. Should these players have to start from scratch as far as seedings go until they prove something? Im sure my win over puffsters jiggs is not seen as the same as beating his diddy. N if this is the case, i feel that any player making a permanent tourny character selection that could possibly compromise the value of a tourny win against them should be seeded a bit lower than usual. Its gay that there is always that " well they were using this char" sometimes, but not others. I duno, just throwing it out there because it confuses me a bit. Sorry if it doesnt make sense. I guess Im just asking whether we are fighting eachother's skill level, or eachothers skill level with our characters. I have more questions on it, but I wanna hear what you guys think.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
I understand your arguement, however do you feel you are alone in these types of situations?

people sd in sets, get randomed and completely countered in the next match, trip into kill moves, get cg'd with ics, timed out by mks, camped by snakes etc. There are johns and legit reasons to lose a set, new ones popping up after every tournament. You really feel as though not being allowed to use diddy vs Ike is valid enough to discredit the Ike user? Does the fact that you could go diddy change the fact that someone was able to play this game well enough to beat your sonic with ike? I'm not at all saying you don't make sense, but as things stand now, you get the ****ty end of the stick. The only people that are going to beat you in a low tier set should be those who are better players than you. Try not to get caught up on taking losses to those people.

As for you vs Cam. What do you mean will it count? Yes, it would count as whoever beating whoever's sonic. Noone is arguing that you couldn't beat him with diddy, and no one is arguing that you couldn't beat Inui's ike with diddy. But he can argue that he wouldn't use Ike. Which makes low tiers in general look like a joke. If you are going to accept the positives that come along with having a heads up on everyone else by having an amazing low tier character that you main, accept the not so amazing part of people taking their wins against you a bit seriously and wanting recognition for it.

This raises a question though. Are players to be seen as worse when they are not using their respective mains? And if so, should their seeding not be changed as well? Someone mentioned pierce earlier. Obviously Pierce is less of a tourny threat if he decides to go all mario. If this is understood, is his seeding changed? If not, we are saying that the player is the player regardless of the character. I kinda think this should be discussed. Keitaro has gone all PT, Pierce all mario, Vex all bowser, Inui could go all Ike if he wanted, Puff is going all jiggs. Should these players have to start from scratch as far as seedings go until they prove something? Im sure my win over puffsters jiggs is not seen as the same as beating his diddy. N if this is the case, i feel that any player making a permanent tourny character selection that could possibly compromise the value of a tourny win against them should be seeded a bit lower than usual. Its gay that there is always that " well they were using this char" sometimes, but not others. I duno, just throwing it out there because it confuses me a bit. Sorry if it doesnt make sense. I guess Im just asking whether we are fighting eachother's skill level, or eachothers skill level with our characters. I have more questions on it, but I wanna hear what you guys think.
I mean no disrespect by any of this and it is purely a debate/discussion.

In the first part of your response you claim the only people that should be beating me in low tiers is those better than me but you still mention how BS happens. Trust me when I say, the rankings are not important to me. I want to know the ruling on Low tiers, low tier mains ALL have other characters that they use, except maybe Pride. Anyone who enters low tiers has at least SOME grasp of the character they are using, otherwise they wouldn't spend the money.

The situation with cam(ill just say another sonic main to avoid getting him mistakenly involved) would count?? On what grounds? CPing is such a strong asset in this game. If you take that out, that takes out a lot of what is used to win. Yes I realize skill is a factor, but when you are used to matchups that you know, why should a matchup you don't know be counted against you in a side event? Thats rediculous. If you want this to count you may as well make it the same price as regular singles and make it count for everyone.

What is with this talk of a disadvantage for Inui? Inui uses ike and beat snakeee in normal singles. I have much more practice against snake and MK than ike. Who's to say I wouldn't do better against the top tiers than ike?? The fact is, you don't know. This is why low tiers is a side event. That is my point

Inui

Banned via Warnings

qft

It should be no surprise that Sonic isn't good. You're telling me, by that statement, that if I play someone with sonic and lose to Snake, Wario, Lucario, or any other characters that **** sonic, THAT would count as beating me??

That's nice, but Ike vs Sonic is even, so this doesn't matter.

I obviously use the character and I'm sure I don't have to explain the counter picking system to you, but sonic is viable against SOME characters. My original stance on the subject from the start was that I have no idea if I would go Sonic or Diddy if I saw Ike. I don't see why it should be held against me if ALL of the factors of what is considered for rankings aren't viable.

Here is what you're still not understanding. Tell me, if a $5 money match occured between your Sonic and my Ike, and most money matches are usually character-locked ones, would that count towards the rankings? Yes, it would. The panel decided ages ago that all matches involving mains for $5 or more will count towards the rankings, and our set was for far more than $5 because it was losers finals.

Take this situation for example(i'm not trying to involve cam into a debate, just stating hypothetical situation that may happen). I have to play cam in low tiers. We both use Sonic, the match would be Sonic dittos. I use Diddy vs sonic in regular singles. Will it count if I lose with my "main" when he is not the choice I wanted? If so that is bull****

Sadly for you apparently, yes.

The only people that are going to beat you in a low tier set should be those who are better players than you. Try not to get caught up on taking losses to those people.

Listen to this wise man's words, Kai.

Yes, Pierce going all Mario should be seeded like crap if he's really going to do that. Vex going all Bowser...is actually really good, so he should be seeded well. I'd never go all Ike in a real tournament. Apparently DaPuffster mains Jigglypuff now.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
except it wasnt a money match, it was a tourney set in which players arent locked into their character. the only thing they were locked to was into using crappy characters

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
qft

That's nice, but Ike vs Sonic is even, so this doesn't matter.

Here is what you're still not understanding. Tell me, if a $5 money match occured between your Sonic and my Ike, and most money matches are usually character-locked ones, would that count towards the rankings? Yes, it would. The panel decided ages ago that all matches involving mains for $5 or more will count towards the rankings, and our set was for far more than $5 because it was losers finals.

Sadly for you apparently, yes.

Listen to this wise man's words, Kai.

Yes, Pierce going all Mario should be seeded like crap if he's really going to do that. Vex going all Bowser...is actually really good, so he should be seeded well. I'd never go all Ike in a real tournament. Apparently DaPuffster mains Jigglypuff now.
For some reason you think I don't "get" something. I understand your points as I've said 3 times. I just don't agree with you. So did I get a win off you when you forfeited to me at Game table?? I did meet up with you in the bracket, I advanced, you didn't.

You would never go all Ike in an event? When is the last time I went all Sonic?? November??

So counterpicking doesn't count in this game anymore? Just respond to this if anything in particular. Is counterpicking an important part of this game to you, yes or no?

Eazy23

Smash Lord
lol paragraphs
I like to make sense.
I mean no disrespect by any of this and it is purely a debate/discussion.

In the first part of your response you claim the only people that should be beating me in low tiers is those better than me but you still mention how BS happens. Trust me when I say, the rankings are not important to me. I want to know the ruling on Low tiers, low tier mains ALL have other characters that they use, except maybe Pride. Anyone who enters low tiers has at least SOME grasp of the character they are using, otherwise they wouldn't spend the money.

The situation with cam(ill just say another sonic main to avoid getting him mistakenly involved) would count?? On what grounds? CPing is such a strong asset in this game. If you take that out, that takes out a lot of what is used to win. Yes I realize skill is a factor, but when you are used to matchups that you know, why should a matchup you don't know be counted against you in a side event? Thats rediculous. If you want this to count you may as well make it the same price as regular singles and make it count for everyone.

What is with this talk of a disadvantage for Inui? Inui uses ike and beat snakeee in normal singles. I have much more practice against snake and MK than ike. Who's to say I wouldn't do better against the top tiers than ike?? The fact is, you don't know. This is why low tiers is a side event. That is my point
Losses/victories occur in tournament due to a combination of events. Cping is indeed part of that combination, but the problem remains that you are allowing some technicality to discredit from what actually happened.

If there was a swordsmen only tournament, and M2k, myself, and Pierce were all defeated by some random link main. We can all call shenanigans when he wants to be acknowledged during the ranking discussion? We can just claim that him beating our swordsmen means nothing because we all wanted to go peach and falcon?

What if it was well known throughout the community that you are horrible vs Ike with diddy, and a beast vs him with sonic? But on a great day Inui beat you ike vs sonic. Would your claim of character limitation be valid then? Things happen in tournament that people wish they could change all of the time. "Why did I switch", " Why didn't I go to this stage", but the ifs ands or buts never take away from the win.

I agree that it is stupid to reward some lucario player with the same credit for beating your sonic as a link main would get. Obviously character matchups mean alot in tournament play, so I wonder why it is not discussed a bit more as far as tourny accomplishments go. But as it stands now, the matchups have little to no bearing on whether a win is meaningful or not. Perhaps this is something that we can discuss more thoroughly to make more sense of.
except it wasnt a money match, it was a tourney set in which players arent locked into their character. the only thing they were locked to was into using crappy characters
Tourny matches are more meaningful than money matches depending on the price. We could devise an equation that shows how much each match/set is costing a player depending on where they are in the bracket and how close/far they are from winning money. As I hear it, they were playing for about 40$? Regardless, low tiers is a joke for some, whereas for others it is an amazing oppurtunity to compete at a higher level than usual because of the character they main. I just feel as though if you are going to choose to use a "crappy" character in most situations, you should accept your losses just like you accept the benefits of having a tournament that greatly increases your chances of making money.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
I like to make sense.

Losses/victories occur in tournament due to a combination of events. Cping is indeed part of that combination, but the problem remains that you are allowing some technicality to discredit from what actually happened.

If there was a swordsmen only tournament, and M2k, myself, and Pierce were all defeated by some random link main. We can all call shenanigans when he wants to be acknowledged during the ranking discussion? We can just claim that him beating our swordsmen means nothing because we all wanted to go peach and falcon?

What if it was well known throughout the community that you are horrible vs Ike with diddy, and a beast vs him with sonic? But on a great day Inui beat you ike vs sonic. Would your claim of character limitation be valid then? Things happen in tournament that people wish they could change all of the time. "Why did I switch", " Why didn't I go to this stage", but the ifs ands or buts never take away from the win.

I agree that it is stupid to reward some lucario player with the same credit for beating your sonic as a link main would get. Obviously character matchups mean alot in tournament play, so I wonder why it is not discussed a bit more as far as tourny accomplishments go. But as it stands now, the matchups have little to no bearing on whether a win is meaningful or not. Perhaps this is something that we can discuss more thoroughly to make more sense of.

Tourny matches are more meaningful than money matches depending on the price. We could devise an equation that shows how much each match/set is costing a player depending on where they are in the bracket and how close/far they are from winning money. As I hear it, they were playing for about 40$? Regardless, low tiers is a joke for some, whereas for others it is an amazing oppurtunity to compete at a higher level than usual because of the character they main. I just feel as though if you are going to choose to use a "crappy" character in most situations, you should accept your losses just like you accept the benefits of having a tournament that greatly increases your chances of making money.
IF this counts against me, it's not an issue to me. To be clear though for future reference, if I get stuck in a matchup that I would never do in regular singles such as Sonic dittos, in low tiers, and lose, THIS is counted against me??

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
This makes no sense. He can't even beat me with Jiggs.
Maybe because I actually had the intent on quitting but maining Jigglypuff made me stay. I honestly don't really care about the tournament scene as much anymore so If I can't win then I'll just play for another reason.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
IF this counts against me, it's not an issue to me. To be clear though for future reference, if I get stuck in a matchup that I would never do in regular singles such as Sonic dittos, in low tiers, and lose, THIS is counted against me??
Why do you keep saying this? I was a panelist for 3 seasons and I can assure you there is no "BUT WAIT OMG KAI LOST TO CAM" comment. Beating you is an accomplishment, you losing to him is...a loss. We all have losses. I lost 2 m2k you think I'm happy about it?

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Why do you keep saying this? I was a panelist for 3 seasons and I can assure you there is no "BUT WAIT OMG KAI LOST TO CAM" comment. Beating you is an accomplishment, you losing to him is...a loss. We all have losses. I lost 2 m2k you think I'm happy about it?
I mentioned Cam bc he is a sonic main. I also stated it was hypothetical, it never happened. I keep asking because I want a direct answer. IF i lose sonic dittos in low tiers, does it count against me, yes or no?

No I don't think you are happy about it. I'm not MAD that I lost, I simply don't agree with you. What is so hard to understand about that?

Top Bottom