• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For a completely unrelated question, what do you think it would take for us to get another Yoshi or Wario character?

Cause I've been playing through Yoshi's Crafted World and it is super charming.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't have a source, but Pyra has been said to have the highest polygon count in the entire game.
I know, that's why I said Pyra's polycount is more than Popo+Nana put together.
and maybe Nintendo's next console would be strong enough to handle such a thing?
Most of the spec rumors are somewhere inbetween the base PS4 and PS4 Pro, either way is enough for Rex+Pyra assuming your average Smash 5 fighter's polycount is around what Pyra's is in SSBU. Given that fighters are further away from the camera in platform fighters than traditional ones I don't really see a decent reason for fighter models to have polycounts higher than SSBU Pyra's anyway.

That said since Sakurai gave us solo Diddy instead of scrapping both the monkies, maybe he could do solo Rex? It's not like he doesn't have moves of his own that can make a unique moveset.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
For a completely unrelated question, what do you think it would take for us to get another Yoshi or Wario character?

Yoshi I think would need a prominent character that doesn't overlap with the Mario series (I think people primarily point to Poochy in this regard but I don't know if Poochy really has the gusto so to speak to be a Smash newcomer with a big trailer and all lol).

For Wario, there's honestly no telling why we haven't already in my opinion, since the WarioWare series is full of characters that could fit the bill.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I think Ashley has a shot at getting added at some point since the WarioWare series is still going strong. Anything else I think relies entirely on Sakurai randomly getting inspired by them.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
So what do y'all think of the chances of Crash Bandicoot being in the next Smash? Especially seeing that he is now owned by Microsoft IIRC.

It's been on my mind for a few days and I'm wondering how y'all feel about it rn.
He's possible. He might have an uphill battle with other Microsoft characters but he does have a solid legacy and maybe fan support.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

I mean, for Yoshi, you either have Kamek who overlaps with Mario or Poochy. And either is possible if Sakurai feels like one of them could be a fun character.

Meanwhile, there's definitely a push for Ashley, though whether she is able to escape the Assist Trophy curse like Little Mac, Dark Samus and Isabelle is another story. Geez, I wish WarioWare's characters weren't so ignored outside of the WarioWare series.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Most of the spec rumors are somewhere inbetween the base PS4 and PS4 Pro, either way is enough for Rex+Pyra assuming your average Smash 5 fighter's polycount is around what Pyra's is in SSBU. Given that fighters are further away from the camera in platform fighters than traditional ones I don't really see a decent reason for fighter models to have polycounts higher than SSBU Pyra's anyway.
Also, something else regarding Pyra's model I'm curious about:

She and Mythra's models are actually tweaked XC2 models, so why would Sakurai need to buy figures of them for the modeling team to have reference material? You don't need to see how they look on merch to accurately model their feet when you...already have accurately modeled feet right there.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
A miracle.

Kamek and Poochy are wonderful little creatures but they have one heck of an uphill battle to climb. Kamek admittedly has the edge since he's Yoshi's consistent antagonist and all, but honestly I just see it as a matter of there being so many other characters out there that'd have more priority than bumping up the character count of a universe that has a degree of overlap with Mario anyway.

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice

Unless they wanna call Kamek a Yoshi character, I don't think Yoshi's ever going to get a second rep, most of its important characters are just pre-existing Mario characters. Ig Poochy exists, but I doubt Sak feels much incentive to expand Yoshi. Hell, Yoshi repping his own series at all is a questionably aged decision that I think mostly holds 'cause of Grandfather Clause.

As for Wario. Well, Ashley seems to be popular. Maybe if her popularity holds out, it'll pay off eventually. OR Sakurai could go "**** the rules" and give Waluigi the Wario emblem just because

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
As much as I'd like Kamek or Shy Guy (done in the same vein as Plant since there are so many variants with varying skill sets in the species), I feel like Yoshi is basically Poochy or bust, and I don't feel particularly good about Poochy's chances in Smash lol

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I genuinely dont think we'll ever get another "Yoshi" character because the series is just part of the Mario lineup.

Warioware though has enough of a separate identity that i can see it getting anothercgaracter if the devs are interested in it

Also, something else regarding Pyra's model I'm curious about:

She and Mythra's models are actually tweaked XC2 models, so why would Sakurai need to buy figures of them for the modeling team to have reference material? You don't need to see how they look on merch to accurately model their feet when you...already have accurately modeled feet right there.
The joke response would be that the figures were a tax write off for business purposes but he just really wanted to buy the figures for himself.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's nice to have a black character in these games, but man I wish they'd give these characters actual curly hair and broad noses, like black people in real life have
Considering anime's track record with trying to represent Black characters, it might be better if they avoid those kinds of broad stereotypical features.

Lest you end up with a Mr. Popo or Jynx.

You know, I did not really see Shantae as that dark skinned out side the images of her in her first game. Now with that, what I thought before that I just said is kind of weird now, even to me. Strange I did not get that about her in her later games.
I remember there was a large outcry when early promotional material for Half-Genie Hero whitewashed her. They changed her back before release.

I feel like Microsoft might be a bit of a hurdle for him.
Why? We have 2 MS characters already.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
What's chance for Ezio Auditore?

He is Cloud of Assassin's Creed. Despite recent AC which is set in Japan getting lots of criticism from Japan, the series is still pretty recognizable there with good sales from what I know. Altair Mii outfit is already in. I think this looks alot like Kazuya and Heihachi situation... except Ezio is more popular and famous than Altair. Kassandra is another popular protagonist, but still not on the same level as Ezio imo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
could totally see altair and ezio as a simon/richter type deal, or at least as alts. ezio is probably a more likely inclusion, he’s more popular and has a broader set of abilities

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I always thought Yarn Yoshi as a Echo would work.

Other than that? Nothing. Poochy exists but...

Wario is another question , even if chances aren't all that big either. Wario Ware also isn't all that big anymore unfortunately.

Both are basically Mario characters with their own emblem out of respect at this point.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman

Who would you even use from Yoshi other than Poochy? I like the idea of Yoshi getting another character, but there's generally too much overlap with Mario characters that it's quite hard to justify it. At this rate, I wish they'd drop the Yoshi moniker and give his series back to Mario. Which is not a Smash exclusive problem, by the way; I want Mario to adapt enemies from Yoshi's Island again.

At least Wario has the argument of being an antithesis to Mario, which grants his series some theoretical distance from his counterpart.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Considering anime's track record with trying to represent Black characters, it might be better if they avoid those kinds of broad stereotypical features.
This is what I think Louis was alluding to he said it's "Nintendo's fault" (please correct me if I'm wrong). Nintendo and Japanese gaming companies in general have always portrayed black characters in a rather insulting way. Even Barret in the original FF7 was cringe with his design as if black folks HAVE to be Mr. T ripoffs to be considered "accurate"...

In other words if we're gonna have a black character in Smash let it at least be done with some dignity. And not choose an iconic black character who is iconic for being cheesy or offensive.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think people are gonna be happy about this.
I'm surprised nintendo added another video for echoes of wisdom. Locations also written in hylian language, the Still World, and Zelda can fight with a sword. Though, it does run with a charge system and can only be refilled while in the still world (reminds me of Archie Sonic's Void of Silence concept). Wisdom is the highlight of this game, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people complain they can't fight with a sword all the time.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This is what I think Louis was alluding to he said it's "Nintendo's fault" (please correct me if I'm wrong). Nintendo and Japanese gaming companies in general have always portrayed black characters in a rather insulting way.
I wasn’t deliberately referring to stereotyping, but of course there’s a lot of work to be done there too. I was just referring to the cause and effect with Nintendo’s willingness (or lack thereof) to put POC in leading or prominent roles. Had Nintendo made more of an effort to do this over the years, we’d probably have a black character in Smash by now.

But moving ahead, things are looking more optimistic. So here’s hoping we get to that point sooner than later.

Also, re: :ultyoshi: :ultwario:

I think for all intents and purposes Yoshi is treated as an extension of the Super Mario series. So further series representation feels unlikely to me… especially since major characters like Kamek are effectively considered Mario characters themselves. I love Poochy but as others have said, it’s a longshot.

Wario, on the other hand, has a surplus of characters wholly unique to his branch of this world. I do think Ashley stands a chance in the future, and Warioware has had a somewhat strong presence on Switch with two games. I’m not counting on it, but there’s always a chance. Personally though I feel the hypothetical addition of Waluigi might squander their incentive to explore anything else Wario-related in the immediate future.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think people are gonna be happy about this.
Two things of note:
One, how many obsolete mechanics is this game going to have exactly? We have Echoes, Bind, Reverse Bind, Swordfighter Mode and Automatons which at this point is just overkill, especially if one of these options is simply stronger than the others and the gameplay loop will consist of spamming beds to traverse the land interspersed with whatever the best combat option is.

Two, **** it, let’s make it happen: Dampé for Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Two things of note:
One, how many obsolete mechanics is this game going to have exactly? We have Echoes, Bind, Reverse Bind, Swordfighter Mode and Automatons which at this point is just overkill, especially if one of these options is simply stronger than the others and the gameplay loop will consist of spamming beds to traverse the land interspersed with whatever the best combat option is.
I have a feeling it's going to be like The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom where you start out with a bunch of really weak options and you have to strategize around using them, but by the end of the game you're basically invincible.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Quoting from the unpopular Smash opinion thread:
This is actually a very good take.
If they want to make a new game after Ultimate rather than a Ultimate Deluxe, i feel like adding millions of big playable 3rd party characters like they did with Ultimate might not be the best idea, it was fun in Ultimate, but it's just isn't sustainable if they plan to have a Smash 6, a Smash 7....etc, it's only sustainable if they plan a Ult Deluxe.
I feel like it's in their best interest to add stuff like Tales of, Atelier, Ys, Bravely Default, Hades, Hollow Knight for 3rd party series. With stuff like Crash or Master Chief as a rarity, i feel like it will make those inclusions more hype, too.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Sol in Smash is a legit possibility I could see now. While Dizzy is the most interesting character IMO, it'd be either Sol or Ky that gets added.
I feel like it was been a posibility since Strive launched in 2021, heh.
But now that it's on switch, i feel l ike it's posibilities have skyrocketed.

Also kinda random, but if Terry returns do you think we'll have City of the Wolves content? Like a stage, AT, Terry CoW alt? Idk, since it's a April 24, 2025 release i could see it begin too late for base game. But i feel like it would be a shame to not represent the series revival.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Sol in Smash is a legit possibility I could see now. While Dizzy is the most interesting character IMO, it'd be either Sol or Ky that gets added.
Guilty Gear is absolutely the next fighting game series in line. It's had a meteoric rise in the past few years, Arc just developed the Another Code remakes for Nintendo, and the other options are... lacking. Mortal Kombat is bigger but if it's going to be added to any platform fighter it'll be Multiversus, Darkstalkers and Killer Instinct are kind of dead and have to deal with major competition from within their company, Blazblue is a smaller series also owned by Arc, and Dragon Ball FighterZ is off the table for obvious reasons. Really the only other series on the table is Soulcalibur, but that just doesn't feel likely for some reason.

The most likely non-Guilty Gear FG characters are Chun-Li and Iori, IMO, but because they're from pre-existing series I would hardly call them competition for Sol.

Top Bottom