• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As an aside, I kind of wonder what happens next after this. For those skeptical of adding racially diverse characters without additional cause, what ends up being the reaction if the next Smash added someone like Marina, or Urbosa? Does the opposition resign and accept that Sakurai determined these characters are worthy of being in Smash on their own merit? Or does the goalpost move and people claim they were added as a token?

I fear that many who suggest racially diverse characters need more substance to back up their case will simply judge the character choice under their own criteria, and determine Smash made a choice influenced by social pressure over organically deserving their spot. Typically this kind of conversation is layered in the idea that everything will be fine as long as the character truly deserves it. But the fine print is that everyone's criteria for which characters deserve to be in Smash are personalized. Black characters are often held under more scrutiny to justify themselves.

And detached from Smash, if we got say... a black protagonist for a new Xenoblade game, what would the greater reaction to this choice be? I believe based on precedent that the reaction would mixed, and many would accuse Nintendo of pandering to western sensibility. We are often told that we need to establish more prominent black characters first, but it can often be an uphill climb for audiences to accept these characters in the first place. So my bottom line is that people are often unfair. Even if some of these candidates do win out and join Smash, proving the concerns about their importance false, I believe some people who have those reservations today may still hold it against them later. I'm not sure they can ever win through those eyes.

...So in other words, this conversation will continue in a circle and unfortunately likely not change even under the scenario where we did get a new POC on the roster. If praise is directed toward this decision, skeptics will still be upset that attention is being drawn toward their identity at all.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Fortunately many of the characters mentioned in this conversation have been praised for their moveset potential, dynamic designs, strong characterization and well... their standout or important roles in their game. We just took a little time just to talk about how great Barret is as a character a bit ago. It's just that once people mention that character's race (or gender) as a point in their favor, certain people act as if none of these other points have been acknowledged. "A character won't just get in because they're black." This is such a common response to these conversations where instead, people are highlighting black characters who have loads of individual appeal and potential. It's a springing off point to talk about great characters in their own right.

Doc Louis is one of my favorite video game characters. Marina is one of my favorite Splatoon idols, and I've always wanted a musical character or troupe playable in Smash. Barret is probably my favorite member of the FF7 gang and I think he would feel like playing as a tank. I don't know anything about Timerra, but frankly she's adorable. Nobody is boiling these great characters exclusively down to their race. But in adding these well liked, dynamic characters chock full of potential to the roster... we are acknowledging the capacity to make the character lineup more diverse, and help players feel seen.

If we can justify those characters for all the same reasons those other guys got in, which we have, what's the problem? Take this how you will, if this doesn't apply to you then go about your business, but why do people butt in during conversations where we highlight all these positive traits for diverse characters and pretend we are fixated on their race and nothing more? Stating that a character won't just get in because of their race is a redundant statement that nobody disagrees with.
The main problem I have with it is, even though according to you they're not fixated on their race, they act like the roster not having a black character is some kind of flaw in the roster and it's not. Like I said, I have no problem with people liking a character for all those reasons you just mentioned but we know what Smash Bros is about and that race has nothing to do with that. So if a black character doesn't get in, well it's unfortunate but when you go "they have no excuse, they could have done better", that's when you're taking things a little too seriously.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I am probably going to regret joining this discussion and even saying this, but remember what the African American, Martin Luther King Jr. said about people not being judged by the color of their skin, but the content of their character?

I am not making a big deal out of this, but while dark skinned characters (I am not saying the B word even if it is inoffensive) would be nice to have in Smash, I think it is not just the character being dark skinned that only matters, but how they play and what their moveset and all is.

Just wanted to say this. So, what dark skinned characters would play well to you all?
I don’t think anyone’s saying they need to sit down and specifically select characters on the basis of them being black. But representation matters to a lot of people dude.

I understand that Smash bros operates in a very particular manner, but it does seem like an oversight to not really have any dark-skinned characters aside from alts and a green wizard man.

Like I said, I don’t think they need to choose a character just to fill a minority quota. But are you telling me there’s no POC characters that meet the Smash qualifications on their own merits?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
I don’t think anyone’s saying they need to sit down and specifically select characters on the basis of them being black.

It’s just that certain Nintendo games do have a bit of a diversity problem, especially in comparison to other Nintendo series which are doing way better. I understand that Smash bros operates in a very particular manner, but it does seem like an oversight to not really have any dark-skinned characters aside from alts and a green wizard man.

Like I said, I don’t think they need to choose a character just to fill a minority quota. But are you telling me there’s no POC characters that meet the Smash qualifications on their own merits?
I know. I was just saying.

PLUS, I couldn't resist mentioning something Martin Luther King Jr. said since I thought, because he was African American, that he was fitting kind of for this discussion. ;)

But yeah, I wish to say...

The lack of actual, non-costume dark skinned characters is kind of sad. And by kind of, I mean in a rather bigger way.

Laniv

Smash Champion
I am probably going to regret joining this discussion and even saying this, but remember what the African American, Martin Luther King Jr. said about people not being judged by the color of their skin, but the content of their character?

I am not making a big deal out of this, but while dark skinned characters (I am not saying the B word even if it is inoffensive) would be nice to have in Smash, I think it is not just the character being dark skinned that only matters, but how they play and what their moveset and all is.

Just wanted to say this. So, what dark skinned characters would play well to you all?
You can say black dawg, it's not offensive

Anyways I think Opossum brought up an idea for Doc Louis where he can eat a chocolate bar once a stock and the opponent either lets him eat it and heal, or knock it away and make him angry, giving him a power boost. I think that'd be fun to see.

That, or give him a different install in the form of Stars. After all, he invented the Star Punch.

Also, I don't blame anyone for not knowing, but PoC is not an adjective, it's a noun. It stands for Person of Color, and it's a little odd seeing people say "person of color character".

Dukefire

Smash Master
You know, I did not really see Shantae as that dark skinned out side the images of her in her first game. Now with that, what I thought before that I just said is kind of weird now, even to me. Strange I did not get that about her in her later games.
She is a gem that many didn't know during a time, so the majority didn't see the shift until Half Genie Hero's kickstarter to official release. I didn't know her until Pirate's Curse during the 3DS's life.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well she's meant to be middle eastern so it counts.
Well, that makes sense. I would say something about the color of Middle Easterners, but at the risk of saying something even slightly offensive to them, even if it is not offensive at all and just about their color, I'd rather not say it if that is okay.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I can at least understand the push for black characters on the roster, but I'm personally not clamoring for them, simply because there aren't many choices that stand out to me. And that's not necessarily Smash's fault. That said, I would like to see Twintelle.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
We must be getting our hands dirty with the person of color thing, huh?

I do think more characters different in color; aside from what I said on how they could play; would be nice. That said, I am not sure how many characters currently playable in Smash are actually Asian/Japanese or Caucasian, myself. Not until I read a post about it some pages back.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
As an aside, I kind of wonder what happens next after this. For those skeptical of adding racially diverse characters without additional cause, what ends up being the reaction if the next Smash added someone like Marina, or Urbosa? Does the opposition resign and accept that Sakurai determined these characters are worthy of being in Smash on their own merit? Or does the goalpost move and people claim they were added as a token?

I fear that many who suggest racially diverse characters need more substance to back up their case will simply judge the character choice under their own criteria, and determine Smash made a choice influenced by social pressure over organically deserving their spot. Typically this kind of conversation is layered in the idea that everything will be fine as long as the character truly deserves it. But the fine print is that everyone's criteria for which characters deserve to be in Smash are personalized. Black characters are often held under more scrutiny to justify themselves.

And detached from Smash, if we got say... a black protagonist for a new Xenoblade game, what would the greater reaction to this choice be? I believe based on precedent that the reaction would mixed, and many would accuse Nintendo of pandering to western sensibility. We are often told that we need to establish more prominent black characters first, but it can often be an uphill climb for audiences to accept these characters in the first place. So my bottom line is that people are often unfair. Even if some of these candidates do win out and join Smash, proving the concerns about their importance false, I believe some people who have those reservations today may still hold it against them later. I'm not sure they can ever win through those eyes.

...So in other words, this conversation will continue in a circle and unfortunately likely not change even under the scenario where we did get a new POC on the roster. If praise is directed toward this decision, skeptics will still be upset that attention is being drawn toward their identity at all.
I feel like people will look at the choice with hindsight bias and conclude that they were the only logical picks from their respective series, like the community has done with 90% of “out-of-left-field” picks.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
This is not importance. This is simply an inspiration that it shares with other games. Undertale has a lot of Live A Live DNA in it too, arguably more than Earthbound. Moreover, this influence comes long after both Ness and Lucas were added.
Undertale itself went on become one of the most popular indie games too. So yeah, that is indeed importance.

It made them more popular. But considering the state of the franchise until Awakening over a decade later and the general state of the genre over the years... nah
Over a decade later? By this point, Fire Emblem already had a solid legacy in the RPG genre. It doesn't matter what state the franchise was in.

See here's the extra hoops we're talking about. Why does Timerra, with FE at 8 characters added, need to put in more work than Roy did when FE only had Marth? Why does Timerra need to put in more work when all Corrin needed to make it was for the devs to convince Sakurai they could be unique? All she needs here is that she's an inherently unique fighter because she uses a lance and can bring in Engage's mechanics to make her further stand out.
That's all you had to say; she's a unique fighter that can bring in Engage's mechanics and that alone would be enough without race being needed. Roy had his own reasons, so you don't need to worry about him. You also don't need to keep questioning why other characters got in already, as some got in much later than others. For example, why did Byleth get in after Chrom? Why did they have go through those "extra hoops"? It's the same thing.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The main problem I have with it is, even though according to you they're not fixated on their race, they act like the roster not having a black character is some kind of flaw in the roster and it's not. Like I said, I have no problem with people liking a character for all those reasons you just mentioned but we know what Smash Bros is about and that race has nothing to do with that. So if a black character doesn't get in, well it's unfortunate but it's not a flaw.
Unfortunately though, the vicious cycle here goes like:

It would be nice if Smash had a black character -> Here are a bunch of great characters who fit the bill, here are a dozen reasons we like them -> Okay well a character shouldn't just get into the game because they're black

You don't think Sakurai has ever once considered he wanted to add more female characters, and picked from a crop of candidates all with their own unique merits and potential? The same way he's expressed choosing a character for being an antagonist or not being a hero, and so forth? Just because the root of the discussion is that Smash should have more diverse characters, doesn't mean this is the only thing that people are fixated on. But even so, it's a reasonable thing to want to see, and should be treated no different than my want for a Puzzle game character or someone's desire for more characters from the GBA or Gamecube era. Sometimes we do gravitate toward these characters for more surface level reasons, elements of their identity that are more personal to us and our own experiences, and I don't think that's wrong to do.

I don't really feel like getting into it further with you, since we've spoken on this before and seem to be at a bit of a standstill. But I hope you'll be more open to this being a perfectly valid reason to discuss or support a character in its own right. I worry that I'm placing too much attention on the idea that these characters have this and this and that, all these extra great reasons to include them, but I don't mean to invalidate others who simply do just want a black character which is perfectly fine on its own. Sometimes identifying with a character that looks like you is enough. I used to identify with Pit when I was a teen because he was also a dorky kid with a bed head. These connections liken us to characters on a personal level and we discover new favorites that way.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
The important factors of how a character is chosen. It can vary, but usually by:
-How many requests for said character(s)?
-Is the company and/or creator that owns said character is ok with it?
-Can Sakurai and the Smash Team give said character play like how they feel in their home game?
-Is the creation of model too complex?
-Is the character's game series currently trending and new?
Remember that the development team are people, so they can work only so much. People tend to forget about it at times.......

Ivander

Smash Legend
Also, I don't blame anyone for not knowing, but PoC is not an adjective, it's a noun. It stands for Person of Color, and it's a little odd seeing people say "person of color character".
I know that, though the acronym feels poorly thought out and without the word character after it, it feels very wrong referring to a character as "a PoC". And trying "Character of Color" instead only makes the acronym worse.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Let's change of topic:

Is Classic Mega Man actually classified as a "Scrimblo Bimblo: The Loveable Scrunko"?

(This question still haunts me to this day)
That is entirely up to you but there is no definitive answer as the label is not something most recognize or chose to actively categorize.

Next topic plz

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
* ahem *

Anyway, I just opened a thread discussing unused Smash characters.
This recent Clefairy video got me thinking about other unused characters in Smash. Which unused characters would you like to see make the comeback into Smash? For me:
  1. Balloon Fighter
  2. Bubbles
  3. Ayumi Tachibana
  4. Mach Rider
  5. Takamaru
  6. Alucard
  7. Rex (based on Future Redeemed)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So, what dark skinned characters would play well to you all?
I've been plugging Marina, probably to an annoying degree now, but I really want to see them capitalize on the popularity of Splatoon's idols to create a fun spin on a team based character. Unlike Ice Climbers you would be able to switch the leader, and unlike Pyra and Mythra both would stay on stage to assist one another. Pearl and Marina both have favorite weapons that could be implemented into their kits (in Marina's case, I'd love to see them go all in with the Splatbrella), they could utilize music equipment and sound to create a much needed music centric moveset, and the two of them are bursting with personality to convey through characteristic means of attack and some fun animations.

For the same reason that I've been a staunch Chorus Kids supporter for a decade, I like the idea of representing the synergy of a group of musicians through a team based moveset. In this case, when one takes the lead, the other backs up with the rhythm. Seems perfect to me, and after Octoling is implemented one way or another I truly do think one of the idol groups are the sensible next step. Even though I really, really want DJ Octavio to be playable also.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Let's change of topic:

Is Classic Mega Man actually classified as a "Scrimblo Bimblo: The Loveable Scrunko"?

This is where we bring in Calvin's Dad to explain the difference between Marios and Warios. Sonic the Hedgehog, a Mario. Mega Man, a Wario. Donkey Kong, a Mario. Castlevania, a Wario.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Unfortunately though, the vicious cycle here goes like:

It would be nice if Smash had a black character -> Here are a bunch of great characters who fit the bill, here are a dozen reasons we like them -> Okay well a character shouldn't just get into the game because they're black

You don't think Sakurai has ever once considered he wanted to add more female characters, and picked from a crop of candidates all with their own unique merits and potential? The same way he's expressed choosing a character for being an antagonist or not being a hero, and so forth? Just because the root of the discussion is that Smash should have more diverse characters, doesn't mean this is the only thing that people are fixated on. But even so, it's a reasonable thing to want to see, and should be treated no different than my want for a Puzzle game character or someone's desire for more characters from the GBA or Gamecube era. Sometimes we do gravitate toward these characters for more surface level reasons, elements of their identity that are more personal to us and our own experiences, and I don't think that's wrong to do.

I don't really feel like getting into it further with you, since we've spoken on this before and seem to be at a bit of a standstill. But I hope you'll be more open to this being a perfectly valid reason to discuss or support a character in its own right. I worry that I'm placing too much attention on the idea that these characters have this and this and that, all these extra great reasons to include them, but I don't mean to invalidate others who simply do just want a black character which is perfectly fine on its own. Sometimes identifying with a character that looks like you is enough. I used to identify with Pit when I was a teen because he was also a dorky kid with a bed head. These connections liken us to characters on a personal level and we discover new favorites that way.
Personally, I don't think race should be discussed in the context of a series like Smash (which is suppose to be about video game history) but I certainly don't mind people wanting a character because of their race. But when people get too caught up into what they want that they think the game not having it is a legit flaw or act like there's no excuses for why, that's when they're going too far. The series also lacking a traditional ninja character (not like Shiek or Greninja but like Ryu Hayabusa). That itself, however, is not a flaw. It's a glaring omission, Heck, the lack of a Koei Tecmo character in the roster at all is a glaring omission but it's not a flaw. It's something I really wanted, expected, but never got and still to this day, don't know why. But I'm not going to say "we're 89 characters in, still no ninja characters in it, Nintendo could do better". I'll just think about what could have been and hope for the next time.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I've been plugging Marina, probably to an annoying degree now, but I really want to see them capitalize on the popularity of Splatoon's idols to create a fun spin on a team based character. Unlike Ice Climbers you would be able to switch the leader, and unlike Pyra and Mythra both would stay on stage to assist one another. Pearl and Marina both have favorite weapons that could be implemented into their kits (in Marina's case, I'd love to see them go all in with the Splatbrella), they could utilize music equipment and sound to create a much needed music centric moveset, and the two of them are bursting with personality to convey through characteristic means of attack and some fun animations.

For the same reason that I've been a staunch Chorus Kids supporter for a decade, I like the idea of representing the synergy of a group of musicians through a team based moveset. In this case, when one takes the lead, the other backs up with the rhythm. Seems perfect to me, and after Octoling is implemented one way or another I truly do think one of the idol groups are the sensible next step. Even though I really, really want DJ Octavio to be playable also.
Any mention of Off the Hook as the next Splatoon character is necessary and morally correct.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I like this idea for Marina, but could also see them going solo Marina with like Pearl drone as a recovery if the programming isn't up for it. Now of course that's not a slight against Pearl, but this is basically what I imagine with the old Diddy/Dixie tag team and the Rex idea that Sakurai canned in favor of Pyra/Mythra "due to technical issues with the implementation of the idea, like getting both characters to move at the same time which was impossible to do, Sakurai also stated that Rex as the main fighter with Pyra/Mythra behind him was also too difficult".

I would love for this programming hurdle to be overcome though, mostly because I'd love for Noah and Mio to function this way since having only one playable when their Final Smash would almost certainly be Ouroboros doing a big attack would be possible (a la Rex with Pyra and Mythra during Burning Sword/Sacred Arrow) but it'd be a bit odd imo lol

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Now of course that's not a slight against Pearl, but this is basically what I imagine with the old Diddy/Dixie tag team and the Rex idea that Sakurai canned in favor of Pyra/Mythra
I think this as well, but as time moves on I feel like we’ll eventually find a fix for it. Honestly, if they wanted to do Diddy and Dixie nowadays I think they could. I’m assuming the Xenoblade characters were probably extra difficult because of their high polygon count.

I’m not sure how straining Pearl and Marina would be, but they are at least a toonier style. And I think feasibly the two would be closer to one another in essence and build than Rex and Pyra, who are full sized humanoids with totally different body types that need to collaborate. You might be right to be hesitant… I’m just optimistic that it may be a case by case issue.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So what do y'all think of the chances of Crash Bandicoot being in the next Smash? Especially seeing that he is now owned by Microsoft IIRC.

It's been on my mind for a few days and I'm wondering how y'all feel about it rn.
I’d like to think that Nintendo would look past Crash being owned by Microsoft and try to get him in on his own merits.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
So what do y'all think of the chances of Crash Bandicoot being in the next Smash? Especially seeing that he is now owned by Microsoft IIRC.

It's been on my mind for a few days and I'm wondering how y'all feel about it rn.
I think he's definitely possible but it depends on where Microsoft's priorities are, which feel very non-Crash right now considering Crash 5 was cancelled (I know this was because of Activision and happened pre-buyout, but it still leaves his future uncertain and Microsoft seemingly didn't revive the project either).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly, if they wanted to do Diddy and Dixie nowadays I think they could
How much more technically demanding was the Diddy/Dixie idea compared to Ice Climbers or how PT has Red/Leaf always stand in the background anyway? Pyra alone has more polygons than Popo and Nana together, but I really, really doubt that was the case for Dixie, and if we're talking having them play like in DKC2...whoever's not actively being controlled should have a simpler AI than Nana always trying to imitate Popo.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace

His chances aren’t half bad, but too many people not in the know overestimate his chances.

I could see them dropping Banjo in favour of Crash if Microsoft pull a Square Enix and only return via DLC.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016

I'd say he's 50/50, but I feel like Microsoft might be a bit of a hurdle for him.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I could see them dropping Banjo in favour of Crash if Microsoft pull a Square Enix and only return via DLC.
I really don't see this scenario happening because Banjo is the second most requested character on the Ballot behind Sora, was very easy to license according to Sakurai, and Microsoft has also been putting Rare games on NSO which presumably come with no greater benefit beyond the licensing costs, since it's not like they get paid per play of an NSO game. They could've just made a Banjo port for Switch or something (like putting the XBLA/Rare Replay version on a cartridge) and sold it to make more money, but they put it on NSO instead.

Maybe it's just the vibe I get but I feel like Microsoft will be more willing to play ball than we think on Banjo and Steve, but ESPECIALLY Banjo. And yes I realize I'm probably biased towards this considering my Ultimate main flair. Point is, I think for the reasons above that Banjo would be a really easy grab for a veteran which would be absurdly worth it considering he's the second most requested character ever, and Microsoft could just add another DLC later, like Doom or something.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarioSonicman14
Switch FC
SW-0999-5855-7663
I'd say he's 50/50, but I feel like Microsoft might be a bit of a hurdle for him.
I dunno, I think it's the opposite actually, it really seemed to me that Activision could have been a big hurdle for Crash. He's owend by Microsoft now, who also owns Banjo-Kazooie and yet they are in Smash.
It really comes down to if the interest between Sakurai, Nintendo, and Microsoft aligns.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah I just remembered, it's been a full decade since Shulk was revealed for Smash 4 and told the world how much he was feeling it.

While I'm thinking about Xenoblade and we happen to be speaking on minorities in Smash...

View attachment 393858

She was robbed.
I remember actually reading an interesting analysis about ethnicity in XBX, that argued Elma was likely supposed to be Japanese, gave an interesting perspective. She would have been awesome either way though, and she's still dark-skinned in any case.

I don't think Microsoft would be an issue beyond the obvious language gap, Microsoft has shown continuous support for the Switch even post-Activision deal. I feel like it's just a matter of requests, if he's requested enough then he has a decent shot I would say.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I like this idea for Marina, but could also see them going solo Marina with like Pearl drone as a recovery if the programming isn't up for it. Now of course that's not a slight against Pearl, but this is basically what I imagine with the old Diddy/Dixie tag team and the Rex idea that Sakurai canned in favor of Pyra/Mythra "due to technical issues with the implementation of the idea, like getting both characters to move at the same time which was impossible to do, Sakurai also stated that Rex as the main fighter with Pyra/Mythra behind him was also too difficult".

I would love for this programming hurdle to be overcome though, mostly because I'd love for Noah and Mio to function this way since having only one playable when their Final Smash would almost certainly be Ouroboros doing a big attack would be possible (a la Rex with Pyra and Mythra during Burning Sword/Sacred Arrow) but it'd be a bit odd imo lol
I think this as well, but as time moves on I feel like we’ll eventually find a fix for it. Honestly, if they wanted to do Diddy and Dixie nowadays I think they could. I’m assuming the Xenoblade characters were probably extra difficult because of their high polygon count.

I’m not sure how straining Pearl and Marina would be, but they are at least a toonier style. And I think feasibly the two would be closer to one another in essence and build than Rex and Pyra, who are full sized humanoids with totally different body types that need to collaborate. You might be right to be hesitant… I’m just optimistic that it may be a case by case issue.
On the subject of Rex, I still stand by the idea that Smash could reuse the "Rex w/ Pyra and Mythra" concept, but with Rex and Pneuma instead.

Clearly, Smash doesn't care much about spoilers, and maybe Nintendo's next console would be strong enough to handle such a thing?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That makes sense, but the alternitive implies that you're adding real people, so it's probably just a jank language interaction regardless.

Let's change of topic:

From what I've been able to gather, Tumbler just uses it as a term of endearment to characters they like, generally the more wholesome ones. In that case, if you like him, then he is.

I think more to the point: He is if you say he is.

How much more technically demanding was the Diddy/Dixie idea compared to Ice Climbers or how PT has Red/Leaf always stand in the background anyway? Pyra alone has more polygons than Popo and Nana together, but I really, really doubt that was the case for Dixie, and if we're talking having them play like in DKC2...whoever's not actively being controlled should have a simpler AI than Nana always trying to imitate Popo.
I don't have a source, but Pyra has been said to have the highest polygon count in the entire game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom