• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Who are the villains we still need in order to say the most iconic ones are in the game?

I'd say:

Akuma
Dr. Robotnik
Team Rocket Grunt/Giovanni (Although Mewtwo might work fine since he's the final "boss" of red and blue).
Albert Wesker? (Assuming we eventually get a RE rep).
Vergil's up there as well. But I can't see him happening before Dante unless Capcom's ready to promote DMC 5 Special Edition that much (And Dante can still do that anyway).

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Is it pretty safe to say that on the 17th, we’ll see Geno Deluxe Mii costume(with Beware Forest Mushrooms and maybe Fight Against an Armed Boss as music tracks) and Chocobo hat return?
Geno as a Mii outfit seems - yeah probably. And hopefully they give him a deluxe outfit and don't just reuse the Smash 4 one. Seriously, we have precedent indicating that deluxe mii outfits actually make the character's supporters happy, and more typical Mii outfits just tend to piss them off. Surely they can read the room here.

Last edited:
but he isnt reserverd in FF7
I guess I could be projecting his semi-silent protagonist thing with being reserved, and it's been a few years since I played the game, but he's at the very least introverted. I guess the point I want to make is mostly that the trailer is mostly a fight scene. Other than that Cloud is mostly just grimacing (a fair reaction to Sephiroth at any point, I'd say) and a line about memories that doesn't entirely scream depression to me, but rather frustration that the guy keeps coming back. I'm okay with disagreeing on this, and I know Cloud's personality is a touchy subject in general. I've got reasons that I don't mind his expanded universe self (mostly because of personal experiences), but I understand not everyone's in that camp. Hope we're cool.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Geno as a Mii outfit seems - yeah probably. And hopefully they give him a deluxe outfit and don't just reuse the Smash 4 one. Seriously, we have precedent indicating that deluxe mii outfits actually make the character's supporters happy, and more typical Mii outfits just tend to piss them off. Surely they can read the room here.
Although Sephiroph was quite a punch to the gut on Thursday as a Geno fan, I will be still be happy if they give him a deluxe Mii costume like Bomberman. And the music would be nice too.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I know it hasn't happened in a while, but the voices in my head are going off again and they're telling me Sephiroth will probably be a "shortly after this presentation" release. Just noting that while it's true that the last three fighters all weren't, those three fighters were also revealed and showcased at the exact same time. (I get we were given a major hint with Min Min but still, and I know Steve had like, two full days (gasp!) between the two, come on). The gap between TGA and the showcase aligns nicely with the time between those three showcases and the fighters' releases.

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I know it hasn't happened in a while, but the voices in my head are going off again and they're telling me Sephiroth will probably be a "shortly after this presentation" release. Just noting that while it's true that the last three fighters all weren't, those three fighters were also revealed and showcased at the exact same time. (I get we were given a major hint with Min Min but still). The gap between TGA and the showcase aligns nicely with the time between those three showcases and the fighters' releases.
I expect that too.

QQS

Smash Lord
Im here to say my humble opinion. As a long Smash fan since 1999 and SMRPG fan since 1997, I’m very happy for Sephiroth inclusion for the fans, and also because that guy deserves 100% that spot, being an iconic villain. Now FF7 will be so well represented.

On the other hand, and I hope I’m treated with respect as I treat people also, I’m 100% sure Geno (my most wanted character since I was 8 years old playing Mario RPG) will join the battle. I think, based on that there are 6 spot in FP2, he can be #79, having the two in the Half-Pass from Square, also coinciding with the SMRPG 25º anniversary next March, revealed at the end of February; OR, he can be saved later as #81, or a Bonus Full Fighter like Piranha Plant or even in FP3. All of this, of course, it’s a possibility if his costume doesn’t return with Sephiroth. If the costume does return next Thursday, Geno will be a deluxe costume like Sans; but, if the costume doesn’t show up, he is IN 100% IMO, saved for later as I said. There is no way this character won’t be playable right now cause all the insane demand, the whole evidence and the recognition of Sakurai.

Last, I’m from Chile and English isn’t native. Also, don’t throw me garbage cause this is just my opinion. And, even that Geno is my most wanted character ever, I already have playable my previous most wanted ever from childhood: Mega Man. So I’m very happy with each release of Smash, since 64. Smash Ultimate is already perfect even just with the Base Game and I’m very grateful and happy with that, I enjoy this game a lot.

Im just saying that I believe, not only based on what I call evidence, also my intuition, that Geno is indeed joining the party. And if that doesn’t happen, the game still would be perfect and Sakurai my idol. I’m just saying Geno is like the last cherry of the cake right now, and the stars will align for him.

Best wishes, have a nice day and may THE STARS ALIGN AND GENO AWAKENS!

Also wanted to say hi to my fellows: Fatmanonice Fatmanonice papagenos papagenos R RetrogamerMax Enigma735 Enigma735 Griselda Griselda ForsakenM ForsakenM Firox Firox Aerospherology Aerospherology Heoj Heoj CannonStreak CannonStreak Kremling Kommander Kremling Kommander Noipoi Noipoi TooManyToastahs TooManyToastahs TheCJBrine TheCJBrine MattX20 MattX20 MisterMike MisterMike NintendoKnight NintendoKnight and all the Geno’s thread.

Have a nice day all :)

D

Deleted member

Honestly if Sakurai squeezed a segment in Seph's presentation where he talks about Geno after the costume is revealed, that would be quite a bittersweet moment for Genomaniacs and also quite a sendoff for 1 of the most polarizing characters in the speculation scene ever.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Im here to say my humble opinion. As a long Smash fan since 1999 and SMRPG fan since 1997, I’m very happy for Sephiroth inclusion for the fans, and also because that guy deserves 100% that spot, being an iconic villain. Now FF7 will be so well represented.

On the other hand, and I hope I’m treated with respect as I treat people also, I’m 100% sure Geno (my most wanted character since I was 8 years old playing Mario RPG) will join the battle. I think, based on that there are 6 spot in FP2, he can be #79, having the two in the Half-Pass from Square, also coinciding with the SMRPG 25º anniversary next March, revealed at the end of February; OR, he can be saved later as #81, or a Bonus Full Fighter like Piranha Plant or even in FP3. All of this, of course, it’s a possibility if his costume doesn’t return with Sephiroth. If the costume does return next Thursday, Geno will be a deluxe costume like Sans; but, if the costume doesn’t show up, he is IN 100% IMO, saved for later as I said. There is no way this character won’t be playable right now cause all the insane demand, the whole evidence and the recognition of Sakurai.

Last, I’m from Chile and English isn’t native. Also, don’t throw me garbage cause this is just my opinion. And, even that Geno is my most wanted character ever, I already have playable my previous most wanted ever from childhood: Mega Man. So I’m very happy with each release of Smash, since 64. Smash Ultimate is already perfect even just with the Base Game and I’m very grateful and happy with that, I enjoy this game a lot.

Im just saying that I believe, not only based on what I call evidence, also my intuition, that Geno is indeed joining the party. And if that doesn’t happen, the game still would be perfect and Sakurai my idol. I’m just saying Geno is like the last cherry of the cake right now, and the stars will align for him.

Also wanted to say hi to my fellows: [EXPUNGED] and all the Geno’s thread.

You're still in the bargaining stage?
I'm already in the acceptance stage.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Something I've been confused about with that last point
Sephiroth has the one wing on his arm in the original last fight with Safer Sephiroth like you said. In Kingdom Hearts 1, he has his normal appearance but with the one wing on his back. This also appears in Advent Children years later yet many credit Advent Children as the origin of this look?
Sephiroth's one wing has an interesting history of recursion.

Originally, he had seven wings as Safer Sephiroth, with one replacing his sword arm. It was Kingdom Hearts that introduced the one wing, though he also had a pair of wings on his hips that were also taken from Safer Sephiroth. This would later be adapted into the Advent Children movie, though he used his original design instead of the exaggerated Kingdom Hearts one. In addition, he sprouts the wing instead of just having it by default. Advent Children's interpretation of his sprouting the wing was used for the fighting game spinoff Dissidia Final Fantasy, which solidified it as a staple of his character.

Basically, I guess you could consider his Kingdom Hearts design a sort of "prototype" for the Advent Children portrayal.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Originally, he had seven wings as Safer Sephiroth, with one replacing his sword arm. It was Kingdom Hearts that introduced the one wing, though he also had a pair of wings on his hips that were also taken from Safer Sephiroth. This would later be adapted into the Advent Children movie, though he used his original design instead of the exaggerated Kingdom Hearts one. In addition, he sprouts the wing instead of just having it by default. Advent Children's interpretation of his sprouting the wing was used for the fighting game spinoff Dissidia Final Fantasy, which solidified it as a staple of his character.

Basically, I guess you could consider his Kingdom Hearts design a sort of "prototype" for the Advent Children portrayal.
So Smash is now using a design from the same game as Donald Duck, destroyer of worlds? I like that

MattX20

Smash Hero

Also wanted to say hi to my fellows: Fatmanonice Fatmanonice papagenos papagenos R RetrogamerMax Enigma735 Enigma735 Griselda Griselda ForsakenM ForsakenM Firox Firox Aerospherology Aerospherology Heoj Heoj CannonStreak CannonStreak Kremling Kommander Kremling Kommander Noipoi Noipoi TooManyToastahs TooManyToastahs TheCJBrine TheCJBrine MattX20 MattX20 MisterMike MisterMike NintendoKnight NintendoKnight and all the Geno’s thread.

Thanks as always

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think I figured out how Sephiroth's trailer managed to get me more excited than most characters. Even if it's only to replicate Advent Children, the several CG scenes show something no other trailer really does. The star of the show wreaking havoc on the cast. Sure, Ridley killed Mario and Mega Man which comes close but Sephy's trailer really sold him as this living weapon of mass destruction, especially when transitioning from gameplay to CG when disintegrating Shulk and Mega Man. That's godlike and possibly a one of a kind trailer

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Partially. In Kingdom Hearts, he was a bit more exaggerated.
View attachment 295294

And to go with it, Cloud looked like this:

No, I don't know why he needs bandages on his sword either. Don't ask.
when you get hurt, you put on bandages.

it only makes sense that he gives his sword bandages, it must've taken a hit or two during FF7.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Sephiroth's wing started with it being on Safer Sephiroth at the end of FFVII. Kingdom Hearts 1 was the game that started having Sephiroth with the wing in his human form. In terms of continuity, Crisis Core explained how he got his wing and that was because of the Jenova experimentation Hojo (his father) did when he was inside his mother's womb.

Wow thanks for the answers! What an interesting history for this aspect of his character design. Something that was first portrayed in a Disney crossover but then later added to fit into continuity.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think I figured out how Sephiroth's trailer managed to get me more excited than most characters. Even if it's only to replicate Advent Children, the several CG scenes show something no other trailer really does. The star of the show wreaking havoc on the cast. Sure, Ridley killed Mario and Mega Man which comes close but Sephy's trailer really sold him as this living weapon of mass destruction, especially when transitioning from gameplay to CG when disintegrating Shulk and Mega Man. That's godlike and possibly a one of a kind trailer
Sephiroth's trailer is also the first trailer to really not have any humorous moments. Even Ridley's trailer, which starts with him murdering Mega Man and Mario, has a little levity with him smirking as he spins Mario's hat on his finger. Sephiroth's trailer is "Sephiroth is here, he's more powerful than anything the cast can handle, and there's really nothing anyone can do to stop him."

Starts with him cutting the final boss of Ultimate in half like he's a plank of wood, and then the entire rest of the trailer is Sephiroth kicking everyone's ass without breaking a sweat.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Quick question does Reimu have a voice actress in the Touhou spin-offs on switch? The mainline Touhou games are voiceless but I’m not counting those
She does have voice acting in several Switch spin-offs, but she doesn't have a consistent voice actress. So it's a toss up whether or not she would be voiced, and it's not guaranteed who that would be. Plus, afaik she's never had an English VA in a spin-off, so she might have Japanese lines in all regions.

7NATOR

Smash Master
This is a thought I just had, a nightmare, if you will. FNAF is the next challenger pack, how do you respond?
I was actually thinking of FNAF Recently

For the Longest I've been thinking solely on FNAF being a Mii costume

But Recently I'm entertaining the possibility of FNAF being an Actual character. The Franchise is Big enough, but it's also considered an Indie Franchise

FNAF actually has alot of Parallels with Touhou. Touhou has inspired Indies as a whole and lots of Fangames, and it's main Audience is in the East, FNAF has inspired a whole line of Games that uses similar styles and inspired lots of Fan games, and It's main Audience is the West

Both are owned by 1 Man

I'm actually deciphering some of the Traits I think either 1-3 of the next characters will have. these are

-Western focus
-Indie Focus
-2010’s
-Projectile Based

This is by Looking at certain trends with the Mii costume and also Tourney events and stuff like that. FNAF fits 3 of these categories. Yes

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Hi! Thanks for that, QQS!

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Honestly if Sakurai squeezed a segment in Seph's presentation where he talks about Geno after the costume is revealed, that would be quite a bittersweet moment for Genomaniacs and also quite a sendoff for 1 of the most polarizing characters in the speculation scene ever.
I feel like Geno would be the only Deluxe Mii that would have people pissed he was only Deluxe rather than delighted he's in the game at all (Sans, Cuphead).

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
I'm doing my tier list of the best reveals so far in Smash Ultimate

SSS+ tier::ultsephiroth:
S tier: :ultbanjokazooie:,:ultjoker:,:ultkrool:, Everyone is here, :ultridley:
A tier: :ultsteve:, :ult_terry:, :ultsimon: and :ultrichter:, :ultinkling:, :ultchrom:
B tier: :ultminmin, :ultincineroar: and :ultken:, :ultisabelle:, :ultdarksamus:, :ultbylethf:
D tier: :ultdaisy:
Everyone is here should be in SSS+tier, why you gotta disrespect it like that

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Partially. In Kingdom Hearts, he was a bit more exaggerated.
View attachment 295294

And to go with it, Cloud looked like this:

No, I don't know why he needs bandages on his sword either. Don't ask.
Aren't the bandages supposed to be a reference to Fenrir? I'm assuming so because that's what the Cloud-inspired Keyblade is called in KHII.

...Though I have no clue what that has to do with Cloud, tbh.

But tbh, these designs would be dope as costumes. This is the part where I ramble about Nintendo not fully taking advantage of long-term support, isn't it?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sephiroth's trailer is also the first trailer to really not have any humorous moments. Even Ridley's trailer, which starts with him murdering Mega Man and Mario, has a little levity with him smirking as he spins Mario's hat on his finger. Sephiroth's trailer is "Sephiroth is here, he's more powerful than anything the cast can handle, and there's really nothing anyone can do to stop him."

Starts with him cutting the final boss of Ultimate in half like he's a plank of wood, and then the entire rest of the trailer is Sephiroth kicking everyone's ass without breaking a sweat.
I mean. Holding Mario by his overalls is pretty funny ngl.

Also I just realized that 6 months from now Sephiroth will feel normal. That's more ****ed up than going back 10 years, telling people that from now on, all Smash newcomers will get a trailer like Sonic's and that one of the best ones has Cloud and Sephiroth fight.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I was actually thinking of FNAF Recently

For the Longest I've been thinking solely on FNAF being a Mii costume

But Recently I'm entertaining the possibility of FNAF being an Actual character. The Franchise is Big enough, but it's also considered an Indie Franchise

FNAF actually has alot of Parallels with Touhou. Touhou has inspired Indies as a whole and lots of Fangames, and it's main Audience is in the East, FNAF has inspired a whole line of Games that uses similar styles and inspired lots of Fan games, and It's main Audience is the West

Both are owned by 1 Man

I'm actually deciphering some of the Traits I think either 1-3 of the next characters will have. these are

-Western focus
-Indie Focus
-2010’s
-Projectile Based

This is by Looking at certain trends with the Mii costume and also Tourney events and stuff like that. FNAF fits 3 of these categories. Yes
That is a much more fair and speculative take on it, though I could already see the complaining if it was FNAF, kinda like Steve but on a much higher scale.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Aren't the bandages supposed to be a reference to Fenrir? I'm assuming so because that's what the Cloud-inspired Keyblade is called in KHII.

...Though I have no clue what that has to do with Cloud, tbh.

But tbh, these designs would be dope as costumes. This is the part where I ramble about Nintendo not fully taking advantage of long-term support, isn't it?
Cloud's motorcycle in Advent Children is called Fenrir. The keyblade in KHII is named after that and the bandages on it just reference Cloud's KHI design.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
As for morrigan...some slight hints make me think that sakurai also enjoyed darkstalkers games. and while dead franchise and slightly obscure and all.. i think that people tend to understimate the impact that DS games left in japanese game developers...
Well, we already know that he pretty much lived in arcades playing fighting games in the 90s. So there's a pretty good chance he's a Darkstalkers fan.

7NATOR

Smash Master
That is a much more fair and speculative take on it, though I could already see the complaining if it was FNAF, kinda like Steve but on a much higher scale.
Oh there will definitely be complaints. as an Example, Imagine Five Nights at Freddy's Being the First Horror Game rep before Resident Evil

I think the main thing that was stopping me from Considering FNAF is that the characters don't have the most Material when it comes to Fighting, And I find it a little hard to envision how they'd work in a game like Smash and be able to Implement the FNAF Mechanics like the Jump Scares

It could be done though. There is FNAF World where the characters have Abilities there. FNAF is also Super Natural in Nature and is like a Horror Movie Villain in concept. this is something I think is very unique

The only other Characters (that are realistic) I think that would pull off the Horror Movie Vibe in Smash is Skull Kid. There's also Nemesis, but It likely be one of the Human characters that get in. also in regards to Skull Kid, He's an Assist and Mii (I don't think Assist Deconfirm, but there is some impact, especially since he also as a Costume), and with the Ancient Armor being the Bonus for FP2, I doubt a Zelda Character

Freddy, or any of the Other Characters would be able to pull this off, and I think it could be sick if Pulled off well.

With that being said, Five Nights at Freddy's, being an Indie Franchise, is Extremely Popular, is an Actual Franchise unlike Cuphead and Undertale and Shovel Knight, Has other media like books and Upcoming movie, got it's game on Switch, I Believe has Japanesse Popularity as well, and I remember there were alot of Miiverse posts about FNAF. yes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom