• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If there is going to be a Capcom character in this pass, I think it should be Chun-Li. I mean, she is the First Lady of Fighting Games, easily Capcom’s biggest character not playable and Smash is the only crossover series Ryu has gotten in without her also being playable. Since people consider Smash to be a celebration of gaming, why not bring in the Capcom character with the biggest cultural impact and icon status left and have her mix it up with Nintendo icons like Mario, Link and Samus? Casuals and hardcore gamers would have their mind blown.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Remember when everyone thought Gardevoir was in the game with a Gothitelle echo because they were in a leak that got Richter got right?
It's even worse when you consider that that same leak also said "No Simon" but people still stubbornly believed in it. Such people will believe any random text post if it says their most wanted characters is in.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If there is going to be a Capcom character in this pass, I think it should be Chun-Li. I mean, she is the First Lady of Fighting Games, easily Capcom’s biggest character not playable and Smash is the only crossover series Ryu has gotten in without her also being playable. Since people consider Smash to be a celebration of gaming, why not bring in the Capcom character with the biggest cultural impact and icon status left and have her mix it up with Nintendo icons like Mario, Link and Samus? Casuals and hardcore gamers would have their mind blown.
Not to mention, a lot of people before were thinking that Nintendo would definitely prioritize other Capcom franchises over another Street Fighter character, but now we literally just got a second FF7 character over the countless other new Square Enix franchises we could have gotten (even over characters from other Final Fantasy games).

I'd say her chances have gotten pretty respectable now.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Not to mention, a lot of people before were thinking that Nintendo would definitely prioritize other Capcom franchises over another Street Fighter character, but now we literally just got a second FF7 character over the countless other new Square Enix franchises we could have gotten (even over characters from other Final Fantasy games).

I'd say her chances have gotten pretty respectable now.
Half of Chun-Li’s alts should be based off her Alpha costume.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Do we really need another Street Fighter character though? I love Ryu and Ken and I feel like they represent Street Fighter perfectly in the context of Smash. With all these other Capcom series, DMCA, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, even Darkstalkers. To toss all that in favor of a third Street Fighter character would be a little disappointing.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Do we really need another Street Fighter character though? I love Ryu and Ken and I feel like they represent Street Fighter perfectly in the context of Smash. With all these other Capcom series, DMCA, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, even Darkstalkers. To toss all that in favor of a third Street Fighter character would be a little disappointing.
Congratulation, now you know how other Final Fantasy and Square Enix fans feel :4pacman:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, like I just said, we literally just got another FF7 character over Tomb Raider, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, Nier Automata, The World Ends with You, Secret of Mana, or even other Final Fantasy games, etc., and plenty of people were still hyped for Sephiroth, because even if he didn't add a "new universe" to Smash, the character himself was a big deal in the gaming sphere. Same goes for Chun-Li. Like Sephiroth, she's one of the few characters that's more than big enough to be a big deal by herself without adding a new universe to Smash.

Smash is literally the only major crossover to feature Ryu as playable but not Chun-Li, let alone Ken. She's pretty much always the #2 for Street Fighter representation. Maybe you feel that those two are enough, but for a lot of people SF representation feels incomplete without her.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's my updated FP Vol.2 prediction. I've lost it.

Frisk - I'm going all in on my "They're adding Frisk because the Sans costume way outperformed expectations" theory.

Fan Favorite - The Banjo of the pass. Assuming Geno is off the table, it'll either be Issac or Waluigi.

Pokemon - Not necessarily a Gen 8 Pokemon. Mimikyu's on there because he won the popularity poll (excluding Greninja and Lucario), and there are other possible non-Gen 8 options.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Sephiroth did pretty much open the door for a secondary rep from the same series and if they were to pick another Street Fighter character, then it would be Chun-Li since she is one of the most iconic female characters within the fighting game genre.

D

Deleted member

If Crash is next, that makes me believe that the 5Chan leak would be one undoubtably...fake.

Why? Thats an easy guess givem how his name gets thrown around
So if the leak gets something right that’s evidence it’s... fake? I think it’s fake but this is a smoothbrained take if I’ve ever seen one.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Well, like I just said, we literally just got another FF7 character over Tomb Raider, Kingdom Hearts, Nier Automata, The World Ends with You, or even other Final Fantasy games, etc., and plenty of people were still hyped for Sephiroth, because even if he didn't add a "new universe" to Smash, the character himself was a big deal in the gaming sphere. Same goes for Chun-Li. Like Sephiroth, she's one of the few characters that's more than big enough to be a big deal by herself without adding a new universe to Smash.

Smash is literally the only major crossover to feature Ryu as playable but not Chun-Li, let alone Ken. Maybe you feel that those two are enough, but for a lot of people SF representation feels incomplete without her.
Congratulation, now you know how other Final Fantasy and Square Enix fans feel :4pacman:
I feel as if thats a little different.
FF7 had two songs, no spirits, and its stage without hazards was basically reskinned battlefield.
Sephiroth was also in Kingdom Hearts so he is in a way somewhat representing that.
When Sephiroth got in it felt like FF7 got the representation it deserved.
Contrast this with SF, which has a fine stage, plenty of music, and two fighters (Ken is an echo, but he has plenty of unique moves and attributes)
While I like SF a lot, I pocket Ryu, to pass over all these franchises that could use representation in favor of adding more to a franchise already represented doesn't feel right to me.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I feel as if thats a little different.
FF7 had two songs, no spirits, and its stage without hazards was basically reskinned battlefield.
Sephiroth was also in Kingdom Hearts so he is in a way somewhat representing that.
When Sephiroth got in it felt like FF7 got the representation it deserved.
Contrast this with SF, which has a fine stage, plenty of music, and two fighters (Ken is an echo, but he has plenty of unique moves and attributes)
While I like SF a lot, I pocket Ryu, to pass over all these franchises that could use representation in favor of adding more to a franchise already represented doesn't feel right to me.
All of the music is from SF2 and it's variations. There's literally no music representation of any of the games after SF2. Street Fighter also has a big enough cast so that there are more than enough remaining characters to make into Spirits.

If Sephiroth somehow represents KH to you, then Cloud should have already been enough because he was in Kingdom Hearts too.
And like I said, there were plenty of other amazing Square Enix franchises as well that could have used representation.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
im feelin Crash tbh
I wish I felt Crash. I just think the Steve Reveal would have been different if Crash made it in.
Subjective, sure- but I wouldn't have seen them doing the same reveal for Steve if Crash made it in.

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice
I think garchomp is surprisingly likely especially if there are sinnoh remakes. he could have a dig down b and different moves when he is underground.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think they will save geno for cp11 so idk for 9 but im feeling the goose
But he'd be such a weird preMiium after Sephiroth?

goose is quite popular and has a pirahna plant vibe
Ain't my fault that I'm out here gettin' loose
Gotta blame it on the Goose
Gotta blame it on my juice, baby

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wonder how Chun-Li's command inputs would work in Super Smash Bros. When I looked them up, they seem to be incredibly inconsistent between games. My best guess would be that she'd be based off of her Street Fighter III: Third Strike iteration, but they might fuse them together a bit. Assuming the former, her special moves would probably be something like this:

• Neutral Special (:GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR:): Kikoken-Hadouken, but balanced for Chun-Li.
  • Side Special (:GCD:(hold):GCU:): Spinning Bird Kick-An attack that's very similar to Ryu and Ken's Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, but I think it would be more important to her overall kit.
  • Up Special (:GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL:): Hazanshu-An attack that's very similar to the Mii Brawler's Soaring Axe Kick. The command input could make an interesting trade of height for distance.
  • Down Special: Probably either Focus Attack again, or Hyakuretsu Kyaku-They could go with something like a V-Trigger, but the Focus Attack is more tried and true. I'm also 90% sure that Hyakuretsu Kyaku would be made a rapid jab instead, but it's worth mentioning.
EDIT: If they did go with only the half circle and charge motions from Street Fighter III: Third Strike, the command input gimmick would probably be at its best since misinputs would be much less of a thing.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Do you know that Safar/seraph sephiroth is based on an biblical angel called seraphim (gallem/Kyra is based on these angels aswell)
<Picture

sorry for posting this in this thread aswell i just love this fact
A very cool part about this is how fallen angels are often refered to as one-winged-angels in the bible.

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
-Sonic's Forward smash is from Fighters (even with the Same Charging Animation)
-There's also his Jab Combo too, and that's also related to Virtua fighter, because Fighters had the same Punch Punch Kick Combo from those games
-Side Tilt
-Down Tilt (though it's not exact)
-Up Tilt (also not Exact)
-Down Throw
-Forward Aerial

I Also believe Sonic's Old Down Smash from Brawl, and His Old Dash attack from Brawl and Smash 4 were from Fighters

In Contrast, the only move that looks like that could come from Battle is his Down Air. His Down Air is more Similar to Shadow's Though since the Move sonic did never dived toward the Ground

That's why, With the Exception of Homing Attack and his Design elements, Sonic in Smash is based of the Classic Version in Terms of Moveset and Animations.

Shadow would actually Contrast Sonic while still being Very Unique by being more based of the Modern Games, So Moves like Boost, Black tornado, Light Speed dash that Sonic doesn't do in Smash could be Represented with Shadow, and Shadow could take moveset elements from Battle to Contrast Sonic taking from Fighters. This would also be in addition to the Mechanics that Chaos Powers could provide with Space and Time Manipulation
Well now I'm just curious.
Nah we got ryu and ken lol. Biggest cultural impact and icon status is subjective as all get out.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, prediction time:
We get Reimu in March, and then we'll be predicting Japan-centric characters like Sakura and the like all the way to E3. Then we get Isaac, and we either predict Assist Trophies solely Waluigi until CP11 comes in and most likely proves us wrong or we just stop speculation altogether because of a dual reveal.

Extra emphasis on the tunnel vision predictions.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
All of the music is from SF2 and it's variations. There's literally no music representation of any of the games after SF2. Street Fighter also has a big enough cast so that there are more than enough remaining characters to make into Spirits.

If Sephiroth somehow represents KH to you, then Cloud should have already been enough because he was in Kingdom Hearts too.
And like I said, there were plenty of other amazing Square Enix franchises as well that could have used representation.
Well, sure, SF, could have more music, it could have more spirits, it could have more fighters, but should it?
FF7 got the representation people wanted, a more unique stage, more than two music tracks, and another character. While people wanted other Square Franchises, the decision to prioritize giving FF7 it's proper due is mostly understandable.
All the fighting game fans I talked to love the way Smash does Street Fighter, while Chun Li is an iconic character, how many people are gonna say "Now they finally got SF right!"
I do consider Cloud and Sephiroth reps of KH, I just see Sephiroth as more.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think garchomp is surprisingly likely especially if there are sinnoh remakes. he could have a dig down b and different moves when he is underground.
Garchomp would be neat, but I can't see it being who they go with for a second sinnoh rep.

I genuinely think Regigigas is a frontrunner. It's relevant in both Sinnoh and Galar, and is one of a handful of legendries that isn't fighting for relevance with another (adding Dialga would piss off the Palkia fans, for example).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
For the double boss thingy I was talking about just two different battles not ONE battle that would be crazy lmao
Reimu's classic mode would undoubtedly be based on Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, and 7 battles total fits the amount of stages in EoSD, counting the Extra stage, which is why she could have two boss fights; first agaisnt Dracula (aka Remilia) then Marx (aka Flandre)
Seriously... I can understand a bit of Japanese, and all Touhou talk sounds like jibbiersh
I don't think Nintendo would advertise a character who isn't Mario on Mario's 35th anniversary. It doesn't make much sense when the anniversary focus should be on Mario.
Ah yes. I remember when :ultpiranha:came out in Marios 35th year.... which was also not even it's 35th year, since Mario came out in 1981.

I mean Sephiroth's trailer was a short Advent Children reference. Maybe it is a hint for Goku because they're subtly breaking the non-video game character rule?
Pokemon has done that for 6 games.

I honestly don't know how people still have faith in Cacomallow like bro the "leak" died like a year ago at this point
After Sephiroth I have literally no idea who could come next, I've never been this lost in Smash speculation lol
Fan rules. Have never. Meant anything. We break one with every reveal.
Cacomallow is the bad groin rash of this damn thread.
I disagree.
Geno.
Gen 8.
Fire Emblem.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, sure, SF, could have more music, it could have more spirits, it could have more fighters, but should it?
FF7 got the representation people wanted, a more unique stage, more than two music tracks, and another character. While people wanted other Square Franchises, the decision to prioritize giving FF7 it's proper due is mostly understandable.
All the fighting game fans I talked to love the way Smash does Street Fighter, while Chun Li is an iconic character, how many people are gonna say "Now they finally got SF right!"
I do consider Cloud and Sephiroth reps of KH, I just see Sephiroth as more.
To be fair everything that isn't SFII is pretty neglected.

That being said, SFII is the most iconic game in the series and the one Chun-Li is associated with the most. There's definitely a bigger gap than with Seph.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Short answer: Goku.

Serious answer: No consensus. With Steve and the big curveball in the form of Sephiroth, the speculation has come to a grinding halt as no one has any idea who the next character could be.
I can go back and quote that the only predicted character of this entire cycle was Hero, who was leaked (as Erdrick). Please do not make me, it's more work than my little Grinch (haha, pun not intended) heart can take.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I can go back and quote that the only predicted character of this entire cycle was Hero, who was leaked (as Erdrick). Please do not make me, it's more work than my little Grinch (haha, pun not intended) heart can take.
Don't forget Terry, who got leaked via legal disclaimers on Nintendo UK's website. Once people saw the SNK copyright, everyone pointed to him being the primary pick.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I just hope they strike a balance in this fighter pass seeing how Banjo-Kazooie is the only one I really care about and bought so far in both Season 1 and 2.

I just want another platforming mascot/icon with Crash Bandicoot being the biggest and most obvious choice, He just makes too much sense for them to pass up.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I just hope they strike a balance in this fighter pass.

I just want another platforming mascot/icon with Crash Bandicoot being the biggest and most obvious choice, He just makes too much sense for them to pass up.
I have been wishing the same thing since the start of FP1.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I just hope they strike a balance in this fighter pass.

I feel like he has good shot in the pass as the next "Big name" to get in the pass. The rest of the slots I can see being some more lowkey, unexpected, or "Niche" picks, in all honesty. Crash or Dante I still feel would fit that bill as the next "Big name" in the pass.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
To be fair everything that isn't SFII is pretty neglected.

That being said, SFII is the most iconic game in the series and the one Chun-Li is associated with the most. There's definitely a bigger gap than with Seph.
Isn't Ryu's DP based of SF4? And aren't both characters parrys based off SF3? Plus, there are a few Alpha spirits as well right?
While SF2 is by far represented the most, the other games aren't outright ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom