• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Y'all are just cluing me into this 5chan leak. Sephiroth seems like a hard pick, but definately not impossible. Crash seems really likely, but my real doubts are with the last two. Am I just totally ignorant? I have had at least a rudimentary knowledge of every 3rd party character that has been added, and suddenly there are two that I've never even read about until I got on smashboards? Surely I'm not alone here?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Y'all are just cluing me into this 5chan leak. Sephiroth seems like a hard pick, but definately not impossible.
And that's the thing really. The 5chan leak isn't suddenly gospel. But it broke through a major filter that kills the vast majority of text leaks. Fake leaks have made it past this filter before, but it's uncommon enough to make the leak a fair bit harder to dismiss.
It's not to be trusted by any means, but it's in the "keep it in mind" stage and if it continues to evade debunking as the reveals go by, then it will merit some hard discussion.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
For the double boss thingy I was talking about just two different battles not ONE battle that would be crazy lmao
Reimu's classic mode would undoubtedly be based on Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, and 7 battles total fits the amount of stages in EoSD, counting the Extra stage, which is why she could have two boss fights; first agaisnt Dracula (aka Remilia) then Marx (aka Flandre)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
there's still the oddity of the Mario 35th festivities: Nintendo's thrown just about everything out there to celebrate Mario's 35th and we even have a tournament celebrating all of the Mario content currently in Smash...Wouldn't now have been the time to advertise more Mario content in Smash was on the way?
I don't think Nintendo would advertise a character who isn't Mario on Mario's 35th anniversary. It doesn't make much sense when the anniversary focus should be on Mario.

I mean Sephiroth's trailer was a short Advent Children reference. Maybe it is a hint for Goku because they're subtly breaking the non-video game character rule?

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Who is the general consensus for cp9?
Short answer: Goku.

Serious answer: No consensus. With Steve and the big curveball in the form of Sephiroth, the speculation has come to a grinding halt as no one has any idea who the next character could be.

Dude cacomallow is too good to be faked i swear it must be real
I remember people saying the same thing about the Grinch leak.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also I Might be Crazy for saying this

But for the 5Chan Leak, Crash is actually the Character that makes me Believe it less, Not Reimu or KOS-MOS.

Something is telling me that Crash is not coming in this Fighter Pass. It's not really based of logic, is more of a Feeling I get

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
With the talk of adding another regular enemy to Super Smash Bros., my mind wandered to less common enemies that could add some cool things to the game, and eventually landed on this:
1607797673318.png

I...I don't know how I feel about this...

I don’t mean it in a negative way, I’m not sure how my comment is out of line.
I don't think it is, but I don't see how Reimu is a speculation darling. She's got like, 2 avid supporters here. Similarly, KOS-MOS's buzz mainly came from circumstance, and while she is still on people's minds, I don't think people are considering her anywhere near as seriously as before.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We've had random text leaks that predicted Joker and Min Min, and each of them ultimately ended up being completely fake.

Considering how there are hundreds of text leaks made between each fighter, I don't find it particularly impressive if one gets lucky and predicts the character, even if said character was someone not many people were expecting. This new leaker supposedly knows the rest of the DLC, and most insiders can't even leak the next character more than a few days before the reveal.

There's plenty of reasons to be skeptical.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Eeh, I don't think Ryu is the kind of character with an expiration date on his reveal.

From what I gather, Dark Samus is canonically a she, but it doesn't make any sense. Like, how the heck can you simultaneously be a being of pure energy and also be genetically the same as Samus in every way?
Dark Samus is a she, developer interviews, in-game lore and text all use female pronouns when referring to her so it's officially recognized. As for why, she absorbed some of Samus' DNA when she forcibly took her Phazon suit, so that's probably where it comes from.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

But for the 5Chan Leak, Crash is actually the Character that makes me Believe it less, Not Reimu or KOS-MOS.

Something is telling me that Crash is not coming in this Fighter Pass. It's not really based of logic, is more of a Feeling I get
I hope you're wrong, but all of us need to be prepared to not get our MWs at this point.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
With the talk of adding another regular enemy to Super Smash Bros., my mind wandered to less common enemies that could add some cool things to the game, and eventually landed on this:

I...I don't know how I feel about this...

I don't think it is, but I don't see how Reimu is a speculation darling. She's got like, 2 avid supporters here. Similarly, KOS-MOS's buzz mainly came from circumstance, and while she is still on people's minds, I don't think people are considering her anywhere near as seriously as before.
Must be my bubble of Reimu supporters then, I didn’t mean to project Reimu as overrated in any way.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Dark Samus is a she, developer interviews, in-game lore and text all use female pronouns when referring to her so it's officially recognized. As for why, she absorbed some of Samus' DNA when she forcibly took her Phazon suit, so that's probably where it comes from.
In absence of biological sex, use the pronouns of the last person you absorbed DNA from

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I'm working on a video relating to fan polls vs actual Smash characters and the numbers are very interesting.

Out of all the DLC characters so far (minus Plant), HALF of them ranked at their peak in the 50th-100th spot on Source Gaming's character polls. One quarter of characters were in the top ten and the other quarter were tin the top 50. So that means a character is twice as likely to be from the 50s-100 than from the top 10.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
It feels like Sephiroth was the perfect response to Steve "You want a character whos been around forever and is widely regarded as a cult classic by the gaming community at large? TAKE THAT!" I wonder how Nintendo intends to follow up these last 2 characters.
That is what I'm wondering. It's hard to imagine who comes after Steve and Sephiroth. Both extremely tough acts to follow.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'm working on a video relating to fan polls vs actual Smash characters and the numbers are very interesting.

Out of all the DLC characters so far (minus Plant), HALF of them ranked at their peak in the 50th-100th spot on Source Gaming's character polls. One quarter of characters were in the top ten and the other quarter were tin the top 50. So that means a character is twice as likely to be from the 50s-100 than from the top 10.
Well, to be fair, 50-100 is around 50 characters, 1-10 is 10. So the fact it’s only a factor two means that the top 10 is in the advantage.

or something my statistics class was during my nap time

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Remember when everyone thought Gardevoir was in the game with a Gothitelle echo because they were in a leak that got Richter got right? Or the time someone on 4Chan ended up predicting all four Heroes by complete accident and everyone thought it was a leak? Or when everyone thought KOS-MOS was FP5 because someone had predicted Joker, the Luminary, Banjo and Kazooie, and Terry to be the first four DLC characters and said they thought she'd be next?

Point is, Smash speculation has grown to the point of being one thousand monkeys on typewriters. Occasionally, someone throws out a wild idea that actually pays off. Now, that's not to say the Sephiroth leak couldn't be real, but it could just as likely be fake.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I think Crash still has a shot but I believe we only have one more "big" character left to reveal and that is the supposed E3 reveal of 2021, and that is most likely CP10. CP9 will be released around March/April which leaves us with CP10 as the other big E3 reveal. I expect CP9 to be a more laid back character in terms of general hype, think someone like Terry. CP10 will probably be someone big. And CP11 will be Waluigi :yeahboi:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

Very interesting video idea! Excited to see it. I'm gonna assume Steve and Banjo were the top ten characters

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom