• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I was pretty confident that they were a lock for the first pass and we all know how that turned out.

Rex isn't quite dead in the water but I'm not getting my hopes up too much, at least not until we see who the ARMS fighter ends up being.
Rex's Mii Costume kinda implied that he wouldn't be part of the first Fighter's Pass.
I think we're eventually going to get most of characters that were confirmed scrapped in the past.
Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Heihachi, Takamaru, Tetra, and Rex.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Rex's Mii Costume kinda implied that he wouldn't be part of the first Fighter's Pass.
I think we're eventually going to get most of characters that were confirmed scrapped in the past.
I meant that I thought he was a lock for DLC before the costume was revealed.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If we're talking about first parties with decent shots, I think there's a good lad who deserves a little love:
I was literally just thinking about how Gooey would be a perfect Kirby echo.
*sad plusle and minun noises*
I would love Plusle and Minun, but if we ever get a Gen 3 legacy character, it's Blaziken.
Personally, I want Venusaur, Charmander, Blaztoise, Eevee, Scizor, Blaziken, Plusle and Minun, Infernape, Empoleon, Serperior, Zoroark, Victini, and Decidueye as playable legacy Pokémon.
My Gen 8 picks are Cinderace, Intelleon, and Toxtricity.
Forgetting someone?
Dixie was cut as Diddy's Ice Climbing partner, not as her own character.
But yes, I think Dixie, Funky, and Cranky will all come eventually.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...You mean Toon Sheik. Tetra was never once confirmed. People tried to make it sound like it was her because "lol, I can't believe an OC is playable". If he meant Tetra as the file name, he would've said so. Also, Toon Link is literally a name created for Smash too. Giga Bowser is also a Smash OC. It's not hard to believe his first thought was clones of Zelda and Sheik specifically.

Chorus Kids weren't literally confirmed either, to clarify. We only know it's a RH character, and it's Gematsu that leads us to believe it's specifically Chorus Kids. Also, you are mistaking scrapped for "considered but discarded". Toon Sheik, Dixie Kong, and Toon Zelda are the only ones who had any data other than Chrom and what appears to be pieces of a Rhythm Heaven character.

Though as noted above, technically Plusle & Minun, but Pra_Mai isn't as blatant as the other Forbidden 6 characters, who are straight out clarified by name. We also don't know if any literal work beyond a file name was done for the characters who weren't playable in Smash but Dixie.

Overall, among everything, we can literally confirm Dixie Kong is scrapped. The rest is far more questionable, but being in the data, you could call some of them scrapped too; Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, a Rhythm Heaven character(most likely Chorus Kids), someone who means Pra_Mai(likely Plusle & Minun. This would fit too, being replacements for Pichu as is, due to as similar bodyshape. Toon Link did use Young Link's model to help create him, and they share the same role. It's implied Toon Link replaced Young Link in Brawl too).

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
...You mean Toon Sheik. Tetra was never once confirmed. People tried to make it sound like it was her because "lol, I can't believe an OC is playable". If he meant Tetra as the file name, he would've said so. Also, Toon Link is literally a name created for Smash too. Giga Bowser is also a Smash OC. It's not hard to believe his first thought was clones of Zelda and Sheik specifically.

Chorus Kids weren't literally confirmed either, to clarify. We only know it's a RH character, and it's Gematsu that leads us to believe it's specifically Chorus Kids. Also, you are mistaking scrapped for "considered but discarded". Toon Sheik, Dixie Kong, and Toon Zelda are the only ones who had any data other than Chrom and what appears to be pieces of a Rhythm Heaven character.

Though as noted above, technically Plusle & Minun, but Pra_Mai isn't as blatant as the other Forbidden 6 characters, who are straight out clarified by name. We also don't know if any literal work beyond a file name was done for the characters who weren't playable in Smash but Dixie.

Overall, among everything, we can literally confirm Dixie Kong is scrapped. The rest is far more questionable, but being in the data, you could call some of them scrapped too; Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, a Rhythm Heaven character(most likely Chorus Kids), someone who means Pra_Mai(likely Plusle & Minun. This would fit too, being replacements for Pichu as is, due to as similar bodyshape. Toon Link did use Young Link's model to help create him, and they share the same role. It's implied Toon Link replaced Young Link in Brawl too).
I mean, Everyone is Here.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, Everyone is Here.
Which isn't my full out point.

That doesn't mean much. What was clearly meant is all veterans are here specifically. Not every single person he considered. He can't add everyone he ever took a look at. That's not plausible. He can't add every single character literally scrapped either. There's only so much DLC doable, and he's not even choosing the characters.

Overall, it'd be cool if the confirmed scrapped characters could make it in(Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, a RH character which is likely Chorus Kids, and Prai_Mai who is probably Plusle & Minun), but that doesn't make them likely either. Less than half of that I could think would happen. Dixie Kong is more than notable enough, especially for Nintendo. Partner or not. Echo or not. She has something good for them. RH getting a character could be useful for them too. Pokemon would probably just go for Gen VIII if anything, and there's kind of no point to the Toon Clones anymore. Unless Sakurai really wanted the Zelda/Sheik dynamic done again, but since they're not exactly a choice Nintendo would think on(Toon Zelda isn't really being used, and Toon Sheik is an OC), they fall flat.

Maybe they could look at previous considered characters. Banjo was one of them. There's a pretty big list of those who never far enough to be in the game's own files at all, after all. And lots of cool choices to begin with~

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Rex really just depends on how much Nintendo cares about promoting XC2 at this point. It isn't new like 3H, and it isn't a new IP like ARMS.

He's still one of the more likelier candidates, but I wouldn't pencil him in as a lock.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Rex really just depends on how much Nintendo cares about promoting XC2 at this point. It isn't new like 3H, and it isn't a new IP like ARMS.

He's still one of the more likelier candidates, but I wouldn't pencil him in as a lock.
My advice? Wait and see if XCDE has any further XC2 references. Specifically Future Connected.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
While I don't think it will be a theme for the entire Pass, I think it's possible the devs could see it as an opportunity to give some second chances to scrapped and snubbed characters. Both ARMS and Rex were specifically mentioned as "considered for base game but timing issues made their inclusion impossible at the time", so in light of ARMS getting a character, I wouldn't be surprised if Rex and at least one other character who didn't make it aren't far behind.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
On Nintendo's Direct plans, they usually talk about their E3 plans during their year end financial briefing. It's still scheduled for May 7th (was originally going to be today), so they'll likely clarify what they are planning this year around then.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
From a marketing perspective? No, it's not too much.
Of course it wont actually destroy their legacy.
But why, when E3 isnt happening, would they feel the need to have an E3 direct, titled or marketed the same way?

I'm absolutely serious that this makes no sense. Literally, just change the branding, just like they did with the echoes. Public perception is reality. The easy solution, if they are going to go low key for a video, is to not make it anything like E3, including the month and presentation style. This is a hard pivot.

Again, I didn't say they would have no video for months. I'm in the opposite camp. I think a smaller May direct is prominent. Then they beat the June crowd, distance themselves from expectation, and actually get out information they want to get out. Three birds.
I agree that it makes no sense to have the E3 Direct labeled as such when E3 won't be held. They don't have to do that. But if they had already planned out their marketing strategies, it doesn't really make sense not to still hold a Direct in June. The problem, whatever it is, has to be logistical.

I'm just having a hard time envisioning what the logistical problem might be when videogame development and video production are two of the most easily adaptable things to a quarantined status quo.

Only thing I can think of is that Japanese culture is pretty big on personal meetings for negotiations between companies, which might screw over third party negotiations. But that would still leave first party products unaffected for a June Direct, tentative release dates nonwithstanding.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT SCRAPPED CHARACTERS? YO WERE MY CHORUS BOIS SUPPORTERS AT:

If we're talking about first parties with decent shots, I think there's a good lad who deserves a little love:
Bandanna Dee, yeah boi.

Can't leave him out of this party no more. Kirby reps without the Dee is the Beatles without George Harrison.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Honestly... this community can be incredibly frustrating.
We have possibility, not even confirmation, that Nintendo is not doing an E3 direct.
And that means, to everyone, we arent getting any sort of video announcement until July.

The leaps taken within that statement are astounding. We have continual mini directs (which are no actual indication of size), indie directs (which tend to release an average of one huge game each time), game specific directs (or just Mario), and other varieties to get major sources of news.

This community is so doomsday oriented, it can truly be quite depressing.
Which is exactly why I stated- if Nintendo truly has no news until July- we have to actually evaluate the state of the company and how much this virus has actually effected them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I was pretty confident that they were a lock for the first pass and we all know how that turned out.

Rex isn't quite dead in the water but I'm not getting my hopes up too much, at least not until we see who the ARMS fighter ends up being.
I mean, it makes more sense to be revealed in 2 than 1. I don't see why would Sakurai go "oh here have a Rex Costume" only for him to put Rex in Pass 1.

Fighter Pass 2 is a little different. I know im just speculating here, but i dobut that Fighter Pass 2 was on development (let alone finished) when Sakurai was adding the Rex costume, so i could see Sakurai chaning his mind now (especially after an ARMS rep beign announced, though it's possible said ARMS may be completely unrepresented in the base game but i doubt that)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I agree that it makes no sense to have the E3 Direct labeled as such when E3 won't be held. They don't have to do that. But if they had already planned out their marketing strategies, it doesn't really make sense not to still hold a Direct in June. The problem, whatever it is, has to be logistical.
It does make sense not to have it in June.
- do it in May
- beat the other companies
- hype up an eager audience
- remove yourself from unneeded branding.

E3 was barely June. I think it is probable we get May video/announcement.

I'm just having a hard time envisioning what the logistical problem might be when videogame development and video production are two of the most easily adaptable things to a quarantined status quo.

Only thing I can think of is that Japanese culture is pretty big on personal meetings for negotiations between companies, which might screw over third party negotiations. But that would still leave first party products unaffected for a June Direct, tentative release dates nonwithstanding.
Yes... the personal meetings bit (while of course, will have to be adapted for Corona, would not have happened immediately). This is exactly why I think we will get a third fighters pass, and why I am strongly leaning towards the pass having had to change without the ability to meet.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Well, um, wow, you guys are on edge. Anyway, any sony games you wants in smash dlc?
Joel is added to Smash, but only the Mario Golf theme can play when he's in a battle

On a more serious note, not really honestly. There's some Sony characters that could be cool in Smash like Kratos, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if they didn't get in. For me, Playstation's appeal as a brand is more based around its third party offerings than its in-house stuff, so having Snake, Cloud, Joker, and (possibly) Crash is honestly a pretty decent Playstation lineup for me, even if none of them are actually owned by Sony.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please do not get into COVID19 arguments. Unless it directly applies to the Fighter’s Pass and DLC, having arguments about death counts, infected counts, conspiracy theories, etc are considered off-topic. Please keep it centered on Smash and, if you want to have a debate about it, go to Serious Discussion or take it to PMs/Profile posts. We will continue to warn posts that continue this debate.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Rate this Pass (My current prediction)

76: Spring Man
77: Paper Mario
78: Travis Touchdown
79: Ryu Hayabusa
80: Crash Bandicoot
81: Goose
76:Yeah, im okay with this.
77: If it's based on Pre-SS PM, i would be hyped.
78: No thanks.
79: Give me some of his retro attributes like an old-school alt, with that were good.
80:Best one by far. Easily on par with Banjo and Simon as they hypest characters in Smash i have ever seen.
81:NO.

Compared to the last one, this one's an imporvement. Well, except for 2, but not all can be winners.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I hate that I know the exact copypasta you're referencing.
what copypasta those were my honest thoughts about coronavirus

i hate that coronavirus has taken away our nintendo directs and i hope it goes away so that i can consume nintendo advertising for 20-40 minutes and then go back to my miserable existence and wait until it happens again 2-4 months later

how do i find the ceo of coronavirus i just wanna talk outback behind the taco bell itll be quick

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I played through Chibi-Robo again recently and actually beat most of the game (got through the story and most stickers), and...

Good gosh why did Nintendo let this franchise fail :( He’d be so cool in Smash, why isn’t the title theme in the music list ;-;

inb4 Nintendo surprises us with him in Smash and an HD remake/port (please)

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
what copypasta those were my honest thoughts about coronavirus

i hate that coronavirus has taken away our nintendo directs and i hope it goes away so that i can consume nintendo advertising for 20-40 minutes and then go back to my miserable existence and wait until it happens again 2-4 months later

how do i find the ceo of coronavirus i just wanna talk outback behind the taco bell itll be quick
...Huh? I'm a little confused...

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Are we at the RATE MY PASS GAME?

1- Twintelle with a Min Min echo (I've called them the mascots and fan favorites for a while, but also, visual variety) Hollow Knight Mii+
2- Paper Mario (the year of Mario, old beloved character) with a Geno costume Mii+ (Dixie Kong echo on par with Ken variances)
3- unknown Zelda character, with an Impa echo of Sheik + Ganondorf. Mii+ of Quote
4- Agumon (the easiest third party to work with is Bandai Namco). Ms Pacman echo. Shovel Knight Mii+
5- Balloon Fighter. Octoling as an echo of Inkling as primary. Shocking STEVE Mii+
6- Rayman (for Ubisoft). No echo, but very fun costumes. Shocking- Vault Boy Mii+

And, I've been keeping no secret that I now think a third pass is likely, because
a- its a team already together, and so an ongoing project after a pandemic is easier to organize
b- its more of a guarantee to help restore lost revenue, and marketing opportunity
c- Sakurai would want to please fans in a time of global crisis, he would stay on just to bring joy to millions, even see it as his duty
d- third parties would be difficult to work with during this pass without meeting face to face- if they were negotiated, they would require to be pushed back, perhaps even to a new pass

1- Doomguy
2- Heihachi
3- Crash Bandicoot
4- Lara Croft
5- Frogger
6- Scorpion. Final echo in Sub Zero.
7- Sora. The dream is complete.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
You know those times when you're working and decide to put music on, so you go onto Youtube to get game soundtracks (and spend ages on this part, thereby forgetting your work you intended to do).

And then you see in the 'recommended videos' that someone made a Smash-esque fan remix of a song complete with a character who should have gotten in with a stage you'd love to have seen...

:crying: What could have been...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom