• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Still, I do sort of agree that it doesn't instill much confidence if the Nintendo franchise that people have been complaining about for having too many reps gets another character and Zippo believes that F5 is closely associated with Nintendo but not first-party.

If this was a new franchise I might be more understanding, but FE has been in Smash since Melee. Not knowing it's first-party after four Smash games is pretty bad if you want to be involved with Smash leaks.
That isn't the point. People don't know the difference between 1st and 2nd party because it's extremely arbitrary.

He can only go off of what his source says. So he did poor research on who owns Fire Emblem. He isn't wrong about who it is either in the end. Knowing the character isn't the same as knowing who directly owns them. There can be other odd details from his source that made it confusing.

Let's not forget Verge's source at one point couldn't explain jack-all either(they completely gave a poor wording that makes it sound like a ton of companies were not Challenger Pack 5 when they meant these certain characters are). In addition to that, don't forget when you leak information in public, you're given certain instructions of what to say. Zippo knowing FE is 1st party doesn't inherently matter if he had to word it more vaguely or wasn't allowed to leak it at all.

Things aren't that black and white. I feel Zippo outright deserves the benefit of the doubt since they weren't really wrong as much as people are saying he is.

"Second party" isn't a real thing, at least as far as ownership is concerned. Fire Emblem and Byleth are owned by Nintendo; Intelligent Systems and Koei-Tecmo don't even factor in here. And the exact wording Mr. leaker used was "The character is not from Nintendo, but from a series related to Nintendo", so you can't even blame confusion due to Koei's involvement with 3 Houses.

It's funny that a few days ago you had people feverishly discussing that nobody should complain about not knowing characters because you can just google them, but a leaker, whose entire "job" is about getting things right, can get away with not doing a simple check on Wikipedia to confirm that Fire Emblem is, indeed, a Nintendo series.

Also :laugh: at they knew it was a Fire Emblem character all along, they just didn't say it until after the fact. A true classic.
No, I can blame confusion on poor communication. It happens too often. I am not buying whatsoever Zippo was lying/creating false information. I am hard giving him the benefit of the doubt here because people still think 2nd party is a thing. And that's the point, it's confusing yet people still use it. Hell, people still use the poor term of "4th party", which doesn't exist. Also second party does actually exist, it's just arbitrary and pointless.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So I guess it’s confirmed now

I wouldn't say its confirmed. Strong Possibility, sure. Still, I think Nintendo may need to rethink how they announce stuff. They only have two first party titles and after June, that's it. This has been a problem this entire year. Nintendo waits too long to announce stuff and they are caught with their pants down. They need a more proactive approach.

Also, I don't see how Work from home is an issue. They knew this was coming as most 1st world countries were doing it before. They should have been prepared. Even the firm I work at, which is way smaller than Nintendo, was more prepared than Nintendo seems to be. In fairness, this probably wont last much longer as the US is already giving up on any quarantine (a lot of states are ending stay at home orders). I expect other countries will too in the next few weeks.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
(a lot of states are ending stay at home orders)
Plenty of businesses are preparing to reopen in May as well, regardless of whether or not their state has officially ended orders.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In fairness, this probably wont last much longer as the US is already giving up on any quarantine (a lot of states are ending stay at home orders).
Hopefully this is because of COVID-19 actually dying down rather than the president being a butthead. I know my city is really not ready, but if everywhere else is fine then that'll be a good sign of things to come.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
This is literally Sabi in a nutshell

I have to say I'm actually tired of his vague bull****, he hasn't given any credible information at all since E3 2019 and has only implied certain things, all of which he either piggybacks off others or have come out as untrue (*COUGH* Game Awards *COUGH*).

There's a reason he's earned a spot on my blocklist.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Plenty of businesses are preparing to reopen in May as well, regardless of whether or not their state has officially ended orders.
I've heard that as well. I don't know what every state is doing, but I also think people are sick of it. Its going to vary but I expect it's going to be a domino effect in a week or so. My state is doing a half-assed one but it is starting regardless.
Hopefully this is because of COVID-19 actually dying down rather than the president being a butthead. I know my city is really not ready, but if everywhere else is fine then that'll be a good sign of things to come.
The impact of COVID-19 wasn't as bad as many thought. It hasn't been worse than some bad flu seasons. People kind of flipped out but a lot of this was due to China not being upfront about it. The economic fallout is what I'm more worried about.

Japan was kind of late on the emergency order (it him them first even) so it could be a few more weeks before it gets back to normal but we'll see. Nintendo's Earnings Release was scheduled for May 7th and that hasn't changed as far as I know. We'll see if this has any impact though, still, Nintendo probably shouldn't wait until the very last minute to release information.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No Direct doesn’t mean no announcements. It just means that they couldn’t line up all their geese like was originally planned.

Like, some games probably fell behind and some games are probably on schedule and some 3rd parties might now be able to swap their schedules announcements around for Nintendo.

So announcements will still come it just won’t be in a typical Direct.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You guys think there’s an off chance the ARMS character could actually be revealed in Late May?

and possibly a FP7 shadowdropped trailer in June?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
We’re not discussing the virus in the Newcomer Thread y’all can either take it somewhere else or receive warnings for being off topic.

Especially where this is heading into politics we are NOT talking about this in this thread.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You guys think there’s an off chance the ARMS character could actually be revealed in Late May?

Considering the presentation and release of the character is directly told to us to be "June", probably not.

Though it could change. If things go well, it's possible they bump up the date slightly.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Actually- yes, that was honestly my first thought when I saw the 'not in June' comment... that Nintendo will do it ahead of the anticipates June release.
Considering the presentation and release of the character is directly told to us to be "June", probably not.

Though it could change. If things go well, it's possible they bump up the date slightly.
We have had many Smash dates tell us premature dates, havnt we? Banjo said autumn... Piranha was even just about as soon as possible.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
No Direct doesn’t mean no announcements. It just means that they couldn’t line up all their geese like was originally planned.

Like, some games probably fell behind and some games are probably on schedule and some 3rd parties might now be able to swap their schedules announcements around for Nintendo.

So announcements will still come it just won’t be in a typical Direct.
Weren't the rumoured Mario announcements supposed to be in a separate show away from Nintendo's general E3 presentation? Assuming all parties involved are still on track to show something off (Illumination, Universal Studios, Intelligent Systems, etc.), I could see that still being in June. However, I still wouldn't be surprised if that got delayed as well.

osby

Smash Obsessed

If they were planning a May release for the ARMS character, why would they say "wait for June" in the first place?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We have had many Smash dates tell us premature dates, havnt we? Banjo said autumn... Piranha was even just about as soon as possible.
That's why I say "probably not". I'd rather take the base date at face value, but be open to others possiblites.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So with the June Direct on thin ice, I wanted to ask, what do you think Nintendo's backup plan is, assuming they have one? We're in a situation similar to March where we only know one major (Xenoblade) and nothing more.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's why I say "probably not". I'd rather take the base date at face value, but be open to others possiblites.
Does it make more sense to you that they would wait until July?
I suppose that could happen. We could even just get another mini direct in the mean time with a reveal or two.
I just dont think that makes much sense at this time.
If we dont get a direct between now and June, then the amount of impact this virus had on Nintendo must have been quite significant, and we need to start considering just how much it altered the trajectory of the fighters pass, other games, and the company as a whole.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Does it make more sense to you that they would wait until July?
I suppose that could happen. We could even just get another mini direct in the mean time with a reveal or two.
I just dont think that makes much sense at this time.
If we dont get a direct between now and June, then the amount of impact this virus had on Nintendo must have been quite significant, and we need to start considering just how much it altered the trajectory of the fighters pass, other games, and the company as a whole.
Who said July for the presentation?

It said June the first time. And still does. That's what I'm referring to only.

I never talked about any directions in these posts you replied to. So... I don't think that's relevant to any of my points, honestly.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Finally decided on my wildcard prediction for my current predictions.

76: Spring Man (1st Party)
77: Paper Mario (1st Party; Mario Anniversary Reveal)
78: Travis Touchdown (Middle Ground)
79: Ryu Hayabusa (Middle Ground)
80: Crash Bandicoot (Fan Favorite)
81: Goose (Wild Card)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I guess it’s confirmed now

[twitter post]
tfw those There is no Direct memes become reality

It's a damn shame we won't be seeing more about new and upcoming games, but at least Deadly Premonition 2 is coming out in July to keep me company.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This would probably be the wildest possible final DLC character for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Definitely the most polarizing, as a lot of people like Untitled Goose Game, and an indie character like that would get people hyped as well. But at the same time, it's a literal goose.
Which is why I went with it as its something I can see happening.

Also an moveset was made for the Goose if you're interested.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm really not expecting the working from home to change who the characters in the fighter pass are - those negotiations were probably done before December of last year - but it's definitely possible that it could delay or shuffle the character reveals.

There's nothing stopping them from still modelling and animating the characters from home. I'd honestly be surprised if they don't have that part done through FP9 by this point. It's the balancing and fine tuning that take ages, and I don't know how much approval from the parent company they'd need to check if the nair does 6.5 or 6.7% damage.

But I'll bet Sakurai likes to show the completed product to the company, maybe in the same way as he gives the character videos to us, and he probably likes doing that in person. That'll get held up for a bit. If you want to go into all of the conspiracy theories, we could say that that's why FP5 and FP6 are both first party (or second party, but whatever), since it's easier to do those internally rather than going out to a different company...particularly if one is a Western company.

In terms of the missing E3 direct, that's probably not as big as it's made out to be. E3's cancelled anyway, so all of the companies were going to stream something in the first place. Now Sony's not done an E3 for a while, I think Bethesda backed out of theirs, now Nintendo's out as well...doesn't mean that nothing's happening, just that it's probably not as easy to get the massive trailers or everything compiled. The companies can still announce things. Heck, Ubi just announced the new Assassin's Creed (as if nobody expected that since it was all kinds of leaked) in the middle of all of this, Bethesda/Zenimax still has their big expansion for ESO coming out next month, etc.

We're still likely to get Springo/whoever revealed officially in June when they're ready to drop that character, with or without a direct. I don't know if they'd give us another, but Terry was announced on the same day Banjo dropped. Either way though, FP7 isn't coming until September at the earliest. There's no way we're getting them shadowdropped in June. We just need to see if they'll give us a hint as to FP8 or if they're gonna pull a Byleth and make us wait for 4 months before shadowdropping them next January.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As for my predictions of when they'll be revealed.

Spring Man: June
Paper Mario: July (To coincide with Mario anniversary)
Travis Touchdown: Fall
Ryu Hayabusa: Early 2021
Crash Bandicoot: E3 2021 (If virus is over by then)
Goose: Late 2021 (Sometime in Fall or Video Game Awards 2021)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If these rumors are true, then Nintendo really **** the bed with marketing this year. That, or they honestly don't have any big games coming out, which I really doubt if they have any business sense.

I don't really get it, though. Directs don't really have that high production value. Just stick Bowser or Bill Trinen in front of a green screen and have someone edit it from home. I get that maybe quarantines have slowed down development for some games, but they still must have something to show, even if it wouldn't be "E3 Direct" caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom