• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I’ve been talking about Rayman a lot recently but another thing that I see brought up is that Japanese fans have no idea who he is.

Even if his games aren’t that popular over there, Japanese Smash fans have still had exposure to Rayman through Smash itself for 3(?) games now.

(Was there Rayman content in 3DS? I can’t remember.)
Here's a funny little tidbit I think a lot of people aren't really aware of: Rayman Legends not only remained a Wii U exclusive in Japan, it was actually published by Nintendo there.

I think that's probably the main reason Rayman even appears in Smash at all. Notice how all of his spirits and trophies are based primarily around Rayman Legends and not the other games. In fact, notice how his spirit in Ultimate is grouped with the misc. first party Nintendo IPs like ARMS, Wonderful 101 and Sushi Strikers instead of with the random third party characters at the end (Shantae, Bomberman, Akira).

Shovel Knight is the same way, actually (his game was originally published by Nintendo in Japan as well). Seems to me that Rayman and Shovel Knight's cameos in Smash are more based around the fact that they're kinda considered to be quasi-second party Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Now that I've thinking about it, I find it really strange that Ubisoft has yet to get a playable character in Smash despite their long-standing close relationship with Nintendo. Then again, perhaps Ubisoft is content with just having content in Smash at all.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Now that I've thinking about it, I find it really strange that Ubisoft has yet to get a playable character in Smash despite their long-standing close relationship with Nintendo. Then again, perhaps Ubisoft is content with just having content in Smash at all.
I think we could say the same for multiple companies/developers and not only Ubisoft.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think we could say the same for multiple companies/developers and not only Ubisoft.
Namely Koei, what with them working on two Warriors games and all. Though like you said, plenty of companies have nice work relations with Nintendo so it's not something that makes them shoo-ins for DLC.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Ubisoft, Koei Tecmo, and Spike Chunsoft are three companies that pop up that are third party and have strong business relationships with Nintendo without a rep at all at the time of writing this.

It does make them a bit more likely but as the character cycle has shown, doesn't make them a lock. It'd be nice if they ended up getting a rep, though and I would accept all three getting a character with open arms.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Ubisoft, Koei Tecmo, and Spike Chunsoft are three companies that pop up that are third party and have strong business relationships with Nintendo without a rep at all at the time of writing this.

It does make them a bit more likely but as the character cycle has shown, doesn't make them a lock. It'd be nice if they ended up getting a rep, though and I would accept all three getting a character with open arms.
I would add to this list Level-5. They help a lot the ds and 3ds with prof. Layton, Yokai-watch and Inazuma eleven. They still don't have any content in Smash for now.

Edit: also just to be more precise, those games where publish by Level-5 in Japan, but by Nintendo internationally, so I'm sure they have a great relation.

Last edited:

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I mean Bethesda has a strong relationship with Nintendo too what with us getting an influx of Doom games on Switch recently and Doom Eternal coming out.

Also, if working from home actually prevents leaks from happening, I'll be thrilled about it. I'd rather be completely surprised (or completely disappointed lol) than to go into this pack with full list of leaks.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

9370.png

IF only there was another company that was really close to Nintendo that still doesn't have a single bit of content in Smash

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I've thought of all my current predictions but one which is the wild card. I honestly just don't know who said wild card will be...Waluigi? Professor Layton? Jibanyan? Master Chief? Dovahkiin? Agumon?

I dunno...

In case you guys are wondering.

Crash Bandicoot (Fan Favorite)
Spring Man (1st Party)
Paper Mario (1st Party)
Ryu Hayabusa (Middle Ground)
Travis Touchdown (Middle Ground)

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I would add to this list Level-5. They help a lot the ds and 3ds with prof. Layton, Yokai-watch and Inazuma eleven. They still don't have any content in Smash for now.

Edit: also just to be more precise, those games where publish by Level-5 in Japan, but by Nintendo internationally, so I'm sure they have a great relation.
I keep forgetting about Level-5 no matter how many times I try to remember. Those four would be seen as four companies that have a good relation with Nintendo but don't have playable content. Ubisoft has some spirits so that puts them only slightly higher but they're still counted as one without a playable rep.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah I’ve said it multiple times before but I feel like if I could call anything “Deserving”, which I usually hate in speculation, it would be a Koei-Tecmo and Ubisoft rep. Both those companies have been putting in work, support, and crossovers for Nintendo for YEARS more so than any 3rd party on the roster right now.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah I’ve said it multiple times before but I feel like if I could call anything “Deserving”, which I usually hate in speculation, it would be a Koei-Tecmo and Ubisoft rep. Both those companies have been putting in work, support, and crossovers for Nintendo for YEARS more so than any 3rd party on the roster right now.
Except maybe Sega. Sonic's had a handful of Nintendo exclusive titles since the GBA days. Those Mario and Sonic crossover titles are handled by Sega too. If we're talking since GBA, then Capcom and Konami had plenty of Castlevania and Mega Man stuff too.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
But I love Geno.

I don't like the cult of personality SURROUNDING Geno.
Thank. you

It's getting really annoying to see people who dismiss criticism of characters and their supporters as "make fun of other Smash fans and there most wanted :((:

You know it's bad when I know someone who only wants Geno, just so he doesn't have to see a potential meltdown, and not being he is inserted

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I get Ubisoft (seeing as they made a Mario strategy game that, by my understanding, sold quite well) and Koei-Tecmo (who made spin-offs for two separate Nintendo series and were involved in the development of Fire Emblem Three Houses), but what has Spike Chunsoft done to put them on that level? (not overly familiar with the company)

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I get Ubisoft (seeing as they made a Mario strategy game that, by my understanding, sold quite well) and Koei-Tecmo (who made spin-offs for two separate Nintendo series and were involved in the development of Fire Emblem Three Houses), but what has Spike Chunsoft done to put them on that level? (not overly familiar with the company)
Mystery Dungeon Games, not sure what else

Droodle

Smash Lord
If we're talking about companies that have a good relationship with Nintendo yet have no rep, there's a couple ones that have already been mentioned like Ubisoft, Level 5, Koei Tecmo. I would also put in NIS/NISA up there, mostly due to their publishing history on the Nintendo Switch.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well this working from home seems to be good news for the development team, seems it more or less means we can see all six Volume 2 characters come much earlier than with how more smoothly development is going. That and less stress, more healthiness etc.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Koei-Tecmo has gone back for SO long. Pokemon Conquest, is a literal crossover and then the Warriors games are a franchise crossover, Takamaru was in Samurai Warriors 3, they co own Fatal Frame, and hell they developed the majority of Three Houses.

Ubisoft doing Star Fox in Starlink, Mario + Rabbids, they were even going to make Rayman Legends a Wii U exclusive.

I could see Spike Chunsoft up there too with Etrian and stuff with the Mystery Dungeons.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
My concern is that people could claim that a bunch of companies have a good working relationship with Nintendo, especially if it can be used to prop up a character that they want to see in Smash.

It's like that comment that Sakurai made about how it's more important for a character to be fun to play as over them being recognizable (or something along those lines - I don't remember the exact quote), where it's a concept that can be twisted to fit whoever someone supports.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's like that comment that Sakurai made about how it's more important for a character to be fun to play as over them being recognizable (or something along those lines - I don't remember the exact quote), where it's a concept that can be twisted to fit whoever someone supports.
I'm shocked by how little that statement has been used over the ARMS rep discussion cause you would've thought that people would be saying this about Springman or Min Min more often.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm shocked by how little that statement has been used over the ARMS rep discussion cause you would've thought that people would be saying this about Springman or Min Min more often.
Because in the long run, it hardly matters for ARMS.

In the world of ARMS, yes, Min Min's kick or Twintelle's slow-mo power might be vital to making them feel unique, but that's because you only have three options for attacks. There are far more ways to attack in Smash, and when you remember that every ARMS character has the same core gimmick alongside more than 40 different arms to equip, suddenly that special ability becomes less important.

Min Min's moveset will not revolve around her kick. It'll revolve around her springy arms, just like any other ARMS character. Doesn't really matter who Sakurai chooses.

Last edited:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind Jibanyan as a shill pick for the English release of Yo-Kai Watch 4 or the Yo-Kai Watch 1 Switch version re-release in English. As long as we get them in English i'm fine.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Here's a funny little tidbit I think a lot of people aren't really aware of: Rayman Legends not only remained a Wii U exclusive in Japan, it was actually published by Nintendo there.

I think that's probably the main reason Rayman even appears in Smash at all. Notice how all of his spirits and trophies are based primarily around Rayman Legends and not the other games. In fact, notice how his spirit in Ultimate is grouped with the misc. first party Nintendo IPs like ARMS, Wonderful 101 and Sushi Strikers instead of with the random third party characters at the end (Shantae, Bomberman, Akira).

Shovel Knight is the same way, actually (his game was originally published by Nintendo in Japan as well). Seems to me that Rayman and Shovel Knight's cameos in Smash are more based around the fact that they're kinda considered to be quasi-second party Nintendo characters.
hmm then why is Shantae in? She got a online icon, she's not quasi second party at all, She's only a spirit, she did not have a trophy in Smash 4. What is with her in Ultimate? She's a misc. third party, Bomberman and Akira are both Assist Trophies.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind Jibanyan as a shill pick for the English release of Yo-Kai Watch 4 or the Yo-Kai Watch 1 Switch version re-release in English. As long as we get them in English i'm fine.
I know that I shouldn't be bitter if some else gets in, but man Jibanyan getting in over Layton would take me a long while to recover from.

I would be heartbroken

Dinoman96

Smash Master
hmm then why is Shantae in? She got a online icon, she's not quasi second party at all, She's only a spirit, she did not have a trophy in Smash 4. What is with her in Ultimate? She's a misc. third party, Bomberman and Akira are both Assist Trophies.
Yeah, Shantae kinda sticks out because she's the only character in the base game to not be from one of the third parties that already have playable representation or hail from a game that was published by Nintendo (at least in Japan).

I guess they probably saw her decent popularity on the ballot and went up to WayForward to give her a consolation prize. That or it was the other way around and WayForward asked Nintendo about it.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I know Terry was probably an anomaly, but I hope we get another character that really represents almost everything the company has to offer. I know it only really worked of Terry since KoF is basically an SNK crossover already, but it was cool to see all these different franchises in the form of spirts, music and cameos.

Not sure what characters could work for that like Terry did, but it's just a thought.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Any thoughts?
Not at all surprising, I imagine it takes at least several weeks to put a direct together and things are a mess right now due to all of Nintendo's employees working from home right now which isn't as effective for game development as being in an office together, plus you might be lack the team and resources needed to put a direct together such as trailers from both first and third parties and edit all together into a 30 to 60 minute presentation and that aint counting the host segments which needs an entire crew of its own for filming it.

Next week is the Q4 investors meeting, I am expecting to hear no plans for a June direct and game reveals to be done viva social media or during IGN's June event.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I have new hopes right now.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Hoping for something in June.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
If by next week Nintendo comes out and state they won't be able to put a presentation together in time for June, I wonder what the plan for their would be E3 line up is gonna be? The only known first party games with dates are Xenoblade and Clubhouse Games and both of those are out by early June.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I know Terry was probably an anomaly, but I hope we get another character that really represents almost everything the company has to offer. I know it only really worked of Terry since KoF is basically an SNK crossover already, but it was cool to see all these different franchises in the form of spirits, music and cameos.

Not sure what characters could work for that like Terry did, but it's just a thought.
PAC-MAN, Sonic, Cloud, Joker, and Bayonetta all do those jobs pretty well for their respective companies.
Namco-Bandai, Sega, Square Enix, Atlus, and Platinum Games. When I think of those companies, those are the first characters that come to mind.

Some more ideas that would work:
Master Chief (Microsoft)
Vault Boy (Bethesda)
A GTA character (Rockstar)
Tracer (Blizzard)
Captain Price (Infinity Ward)
A Borderlands character (Gearbox)
Kasumi (Team Ninja)
Gordan Freeman (Valve)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom