• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
What's especially impressive is despite only being created in 1996, this is the fifty-third consecutive year Geno fans are requesting his inclusion in Smash.
Hey now! Don't question my hypertemporal being!
Rate this Fighter Pass.

76: Minmin (1st party)
77: Crash Bandicoot (Fan Favorite)
78: Paper Mario (1st Party)
79: Neku (Wild Card)
80: Travis Touchdown (Middle Ground)
81: Ryu Hayabusa (Middle Ground)
0/10 It's Spring Man.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
His fans will whine for him to the end of time itself.
I actually used to ridicule Geno fans during Smash 4.
I even once made a troll post in a thread titled "Which "impossible" character do you want for Smash?"
My reply was: "Geno. :troll:"

But now that Square Enix has Cloud and Hero in, and the Mario cast only lacks Waluigi, Toad, Paper Mario... Toadette... King Boo... Nabbit...
Whatever! Geno is confirmed to be on Sakurai's radar, and that's all that matters.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
His fans will whine for him to the end of time itself.
I thought fans go "whrrrrrrrr" and make a low-pitched humming sound. They don't really make a whining sound, at least from my experience. I don't wanna judge, some fans might just be manufactured differently from what I'm familiar with, various blade parts, types of motors, etc. But from personal experience, whether it be ceiling fans, industrial fans, or portable fans, they all generally tend to make the same whir-type noise. And why would Geno have fans, anyway? Well I suppose he's easily flammable, being wooden and all. But wouldn't fans just spread the fire? That's not even considering the fact that he probably ne-

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
>TFW certain Smash fans have nothing better to do than to needlessly make fun of other Smash fans for supporting their most wanted...

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I love Geno and would love him in Smash.

I DON'T love the insane fanbase he's procured online.
When it comes to fanbases, I'm of the mindset that "every tree has its rotten apples, but that doesn't magically mean the entire tree is bad".

I'm sure there's some unsavory Geno fans out there, but a few unsavory fans doesn't make the entire Geno fanbase bad, just like how a few Waluigi fans sending Sakurai death threats doesn't make the entire Waluigi fanbase bad.

Shroob

Sup?
When it comes to fanbases, I'm of the mindset that "every tree has its rotten apples, but that doesn't magically mean the entire tree is bad".

I'm sure there's some unsavory Geno fans out there, but a few unsavory fans doesn't make the entire Geno fanbase bad, just like how a few Waluigi fans sending Sakurai death threats doesn't make the entire Waluigi fanbase bad.
I agree, I'm moreso talking about this site in general.

Like, y'all can't even front, how many times has the Geno thread been locked just this year now? Three?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I agree, I'm moreso talking about this site in general.

Like, y'all can't even front, how many times has the Geno thread been locked just this year now? Three?
As someone who frequents the Geno thread, I recall at least one of those times (possibly more) being due to outside users coming in and antagonizing the people there for seemingly no reason, prompting responses in kind... and if someone came into a support thread for your most wanted and started taunting you for no reason, I'm willing to bet you'd be a tad upset as well.

Shroob

Sup?
As someone who frequents the Geno thread, I recall at least one of those times (possibly more) being due to outside users coming in and antagonizing the people there for seemingly no reason, prompting responses in kind... and if someone came into a support thread for your most wanted and started taunting you for no reason, I'm willing to bet you'd be a tad upset as well.
Upset? Not really.

I'd call the mods and report them for going off-topic. If someone's openly antagonizing the thread, then what makes more sense:

Let the staff handle it

OR

EVERYONE GET REALLY MAD AND ACT LIKE CHILDREN BECAUSE WE GOTTA DEFEND OURSELVES FROM THE EVIL GENO HATERS

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Upset? Not really.

I'd call the mods and report them for going off-topic. If someone's openly antagonizing the thread, then what makes more sense:

Let the staff handle it

OR

EVERYONE GET REALLY MAD AND ACT LIKE CHILDREN BECAUSE WE GOTTA DEFEND OURSELVES FROM THE EVIL GENO HATERS
I don't disagree that reporting and letting the mods handle it is the better course of action... still, whenever something like this happens (not just in the Geno thread, but in any forum thread on the internet), there's always gonna be at least one or two people who would rather respond back with a scathing comment despite all the warnings not to.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Rayman is still considered the face of Ubisoft.
You can ask that of Ubisoft itself.
So whether or not you agree doesn't matter.
Sure, you keep telling yourself that.
Rate this Fighter Pass.

It'd be a great pass, I'd be bummed over no Spring Man but the other picks are perfect 10s with no objections from me.
Extremely late for this but, as of today, we have a 40 year old character in the Smash roster. Ball, the first Game and Watch game, released on April 28, 1980 in Japan.

Here's to 40 more years of bleeps and bloops:gawmelee::gw::4gaw::ultgnw:
Alright Nintendo new Game & Watch collection when

Shroob

Sup?
I don't disagree that reporting and letting the mods handle it is the better course of action... still, whenever something like this happens (not just in the Geno thread, but in any forum thread on the internet), there's always gonna be at least one or two people who would rather respond back with a scathing comment despite all the warnings not to.
As someone who loves to stop and stare at the Geno thread when it goes under lockdown, it's never just one or two people, that, I can say with certainty. And here's the thing. A single scathing comment isn't enough to get a thread locked, or else this thread would get locked daily, it usually means there's multiple, which ends up devolving into a cesspit of **** flinging that just looks embarrassing for everyone involved.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I still think the Geno thread and a certain member were caught up in a misunderstanding and people here decided to act in a way that wasn’t much better than what info/misinfo they got out of the events.

The thread does feel much better than it used to though, probably due the trolls and antagonizing people either disappearing or deciding to avoid the place.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Rate this Fighter Pass.

It's okay/10
I'm going to be honest and say I've only played a game from 1/3 of the listed characters' series (TWEWY and N. Sane Trilogy), and so my opinion probably isn't as informed as someone who has tried all of their seires. Anyways, I like the idea of Neku getting in, while Crash and Travis seem cool. I'm a little iffy on a third Mario, though I get that there's (probably) more moveset potential to be found with him. I'm neutral towards Hayabusa and Min-Min.

I thought fans go "whrrrrrrrr" and make a low-pitched humming sound. They don't really make a whining sound, at least from my experience. I don't wanna judge, some fans might just be manufactured differently from what I'm familiar with, various blade parts, types of motors, etc. But from personal experience, whether it be ceiling fans, industrial fans, or portable fans, they all generally tend to make the same whir-type noise. And why would Geno have fans, anyway? Well I suppose he's easily flammable, being wooden and all. But wouldn't fans just spread the fire? That's not even considering the fact that he probably ne-
Geno whrrrrrrrr
Geno whrrrrrrrr.png

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Decidueye was the frontrunner for both predictions and wishes before Verge leacked Incineroar. Unfortunately, it was beloved because it's a grass type, and not because it's a cool ghost owl archer. Most of it's fans dissapeared into the aether after the Incineroar leaks, and were reborn as Rillaboom fans.
I liked Decidueye because he was cool ghost owl archer. It really killed me inside when Sakurai confirmed he was almost picked. I don't have any hope of him joining Fighter Pass 2 but it would be amazing if he was in.

Well in other news, Deadly Premonition 2 is releasing July 10th on the Switch!

Though Deadly Premonition is the unlikeliest of series to be in Vol 2, I would love to see everything around York being in Vol 2 from the reactions to how he'll work to even what Sakurai has to say about Deadly Premonition itself cause of how bizarre it'd all be. People like me would be over the ****ing moon, but I'd love to know what others who don't know much about the original game would think. At best, I can already tell a lot of people will be met with the upmost confusion over why a notoriously "bad" game beloved by many would be added to Smash.
Cool. I was always interested in trying the game out since I first watched someone called "DoctorQwack101" play it, though he never did get that far. I would play it on Steam but I heard that version is pretty buggy so this will do nicely.

As for Francis York Morgan as a fighter, I wouldn't mind to see him but I don't know what he could do to really stand out. I mean he uses weapons but I never watched far enough with playthroughs to see if he does anything else unique.

Rate this Fighter Pass.

Good pass. I like Crash Bandicoot, Paper Mario, Travis Touchdown and Ryu Hayabusa. Indifferent to Neku and Minmin.

I suspect two 1st parties, 1 fan favorite, 1 wildcard and two middle grounds.

Does that sound about right?
Let's turn this into a game

76: Byte and Barq (1st party)
77: Geno (Fan Favourite)
78: Akira Howard (1st Party)
79: Sgt. Cortez! YEAH TIME TO SPLIT! (Wild Card)
80: Sol Badguy (Middle ground)
81: Dante from the Devil May Cry series (Middle ground)

I.D.

Smash Lord
I actually kinda hate how Pokemon is guaranteed a spot in every Smash game. It doesn't matter how bad Sun/Moon and Sw/Sh are, they are still gonna get Pokemon in Smash Ultimate.
Bro, you have a Fire Emblem avatar.
Wait, Cygames of all company did some of the Fire Emblem Three Houses arranges for Smash?

....well alright then. A bit odd but, ok.
I know what you're thinking, but the reason is because those arrangements have been done by Akihiro Honda, who has already contributed to Smash in the past with music and became a Cygames employee a few years ago, it's not really indicative of anything. Trust me, I know my Cygames stuff.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I'm bored, so Imma list my predictions that'll undeniably and inevitably age poorly:
  • Dante from the Devil May Cry series (packed with either Mallet Island or Temen-Ni-Gru as a stage)
  • Crash Bandicoot (titular character of the Crash series, and he'll come with N. Sanity Beach/Wumpa Island(s))
  • Either Ragna the Bloodedge (from BlazBlue) or Sol Badguy (from Guilty Gear)
  • HALO, DOOM, Silent Hill and Dark Souls get Mii Costume'd
  • Geno, Lloyd and Heihachi Mii Costumes return
  • Metroid Prime 4, PuyoPuyo, Metal Slug, Contra and StarTropics get spirit events
  • Anything can happen with Dragalia Lost, Dig Dug, Pokemon and Minecraft so I'm not gonna bet anything on them

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
It's kinda scary how close we are to a timeline where people make Sans Miis with Pyramid Head.
Hey, qiestion about miis, who plays as them NOT as sans or cuphead anymore? I'm curious.

Also, what if we got an ghost as a playable character?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hey, qiestion about miis, who plays as them NOT as sans or cuphead anymore? I'm curious.
I usually make my own Miis rather than using costumes. They're pretty good but I'm not really interested in neither of them.

Plus, they're only for Mii Gunner. I play others, too.

Staarih

Smash Master
Those who didn't buy the costumes.

Sans and Cuphead are my go-to Mii's though, so I concede. They made me more interested in Mii Fighter in general which is cool. The downloadable Mii's from Shared Content are a godsend for lazy people like me who can't bother to create ones from scratch.

Freduardo

Smash Champion

There are some pretty neat ones out there. Aside from the in-game ones (Viridi, Yiga Clan, Saki), it’s pretty easy to have a decent looking Iron Man or Sanji from One Piece that fight very close to the expectation of the character.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Min Min and Neku are solid choices. Largely indifferent to the rest tho

on a side note, pic of the day:
Insert JoJo “to be continued” meme here
When Dracula asks "What is a Man?" and you finna respond with "The answer lies....in the heart of battle."

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I didn't buy either costume. I may eventually buy them for the tracks, but even then I may not buy Cuphead since Flower Carnegie's theme doesn't really work as a battle theme out of the context of the game.

Plank08

Smash Lord

Plank08

Smash Lord
I think the reality is that Smash Bros Speculation is going through a minor identity crisis: is Smash a general gaming crossover, or is it a Nintendo crossover?

Prior Smash for Wii U/3DS' DLC, there really wasn't a debate that Smash wasn't a Nintendo crossover. Yeah, there were a few non-Nintendo characters, but they were so vastly outnumbered by the Nintendo cast that the theme of "Nintendo meets Nintendo plus a couple of guests" was pretty unambiguous.

I think the foundations of this debate started to emerge during Smash for Wii U/3DS' DLC and Ultimate's base roster. Here, we got third parties in a greater quantity than ever before, with each set of newcomers having three third parties each (:ultryu:, :ultcloud:, and :ultbayonetta: for Wii U/3DS DLC and :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, and :ultken: for Ultimate). However, most people still saw Smash primarily as a Nintendo game. The number of Nintendo newcomers still outnumbering the non-Nintendo newcomers, third parties often having first party characters revealed in between them, and Richter/Ken being echoes helped send the message "Yeah, non-Nintendo is the exception, not the rule".

However, starting with the Fighter's Pass, this is when the "Smash is now a general gaming crossover" camp emerged from basically one reveal: :ultjoker:. Now, Joker is awesome, but he's also the biggest hard-left we've ever seen occur in Smash speculation. Dude broke a lot of conceptions over who is and is not eligible for Smash. Not only was he far newer than every other third party in Smash, he was almost far more obscure than the other (non-echo) third parties. The only character who matched Joker in being a relatively recent, more obscure non-Nintendo character is Bayonetta, who was largely seen as an exception due to having Bayonetta 2 funded and published by the Big N itself.

Thanks to Joker, the floodgates seemed to be open. You no longer had to be a Sonic or Ryu to be a non-Nintendo character in Smash, anyone from a reasonably popular game was a viable candidate. Compound this with an ambiguous "the other fighters will be like Joker" comment from Reggie, it really seemed like the sky was the limit. The Smash community has a bad habit on bunkering down on a handful of faces that are deemed likely, the expectation of Smash now being focused on more than just Nintendo self-perpetuated itself. With Joker being followed by three other characters from non-Nintendo companies, it really seemed like Smash was undoubtedly a general gaming crossover...

However, looking at who we got, we didn't really get any hard curveballs like Joker. :ulthero: was probably the most conventional third party we saw in the pack. While Hero is technically a very new character due to Eleven's recency, having alts based on other characters from the NES and PS2 situated Hero as a legacy character. Likewise, Dragon Quest is a massive franchise with a strong tie to Nintendo, making Hero far closer to Mega Man than Joker. :ultbanjokazooie: came from a smaller franchise like Joker, but they were also far older and has extremely heavy ties to Nintendo, reducing a lot of the surprise that came with the bear and the bird. :ult_terry: was another character from a more lowkey franchise, but his legacy and fame within his own genre divorced him from the curveball factor of Joker. Now,:ultbyleth: and ARMS are giving us back to back Nintendo characters. It's impossible to know where FP #7 and beyond will go, but the wild west of possible character choices that many thought would come after Joker seems to be less and less with each choice.

So, is Smash a gaming crossover or a Nintendo crossover? Honestly, like with many things, the truth is somewhere in the middle. There is no doubt the restrictions on third parties in Smash have loosened as time has gone. However, beyond Joker, we still aren't seeing the wild "anyone goes" picks that folks in the "Smash is a gaming crossover" suggest we should be seeing. As such, I always get surprised when people are perplexed that there's still a call for Nintendo characters. It's great that we're seeing more and more diverse characters join Smash, but the series isn't going to completely abandon its foundation overnight. Even after Ultimate's DLC, the focus on Nintendo first and foremost is still present.
Well, Nintendo IS gaming so I’ll let you do the math. :4pacman:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's kinda scary how close we are to a timeline where people make Sans Miis with Pyramid Heads.
What's worse is we're dangerously close to re-enacting the Tails vs Sephiroth facebook meme if we get a Sephiroth Mii costume.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sure, you keep telling yourself that.
I did.

They said, "No, it's Ezio."
I was not being facetious.
You can literally ask the AI.
And your answer, good friend, is Fake News.

This isn't an opinion. It's a fact. It's not up for debate.
You can debate which characters are most recognizable, or which games have the most sales.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I usually make my own Miis rather than using costumes. They're pretty good but I'm not really interested in neither of them.

Plus, they're only for Mii Gunner. I play others, too.
Well, so far.
I think the fact that both are for the Mii Gunner is a good sign we are going to be getting more.

Hollow Knight.
Hatboy.
Quote.
Geno.
Steve.

There are a lot of characters, particularly made from less detailed sprites, that fit the idea well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom