• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The hate primarily stems from two things:

(1) He killed the Grinch leak and confirmed Box Theory
(2) He wasn't Decidueye

I don't think Incineroar really deserved the hate though. He was already unfairly labeled as a bad starter when his design was leaked and people assumed he was a fighting type.
Oh yeah I forgot the first one.

Also people hated him for not being Decidueye? Was Decidueye that popular?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Decidueye was the frontrunner for both predictions and wishes before Verge leacked Incineroar. Unfortunately, it was beloved because it's a grass type, and not because it's a cool ghost owl archer. Most of it's fans dissapeared into the aether after the Incineroar leaks, and were reborn as Rillaboom fans.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well in other news, Deadly Premonition 2 is releasing July 10th on the Switch!

Though Deadly Premonition is the unlikeliest of series to be in Vol 2, I would love to see everything around York being in Vol 2 from the reactions to how he'll work to even what Sakurai has to say about Deadly Premonition itself cause of how bizarre it'd all be. People like me would be over the ****ing moon, but I'd love to know what others who don't know much about the original game would think. At best, I can already tell a lot of people will be met with the upmost confusion over why a notoriously "bad" game beloved by many would be added to Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Though Deadly Premonition is the unlikeliest of series to be in Vol 2, I would love to see everything around York being in Vol 2 from the reactions to how he'll work to even what Sakurai has to say about Deadly Premonition itself cause of how bizarre it'd all be. People like me would be over the ****ing moon, but I'd love to know what others who don't know much about the original game would think. At best, I can already tell a lot of people will be met with the upmost confusion over why a notoriously "bad" game beloved by many would be added to Smash.
I'm surprised a sequel is being made after so long since I've never heard anything good about this game.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

I personally think Decidueye is the best design of the Alolan starters, but I cannot ignore the fact that a huge chunk of the Smash Community just wants a Grass starter to fulfill a perceived quota.
Sceptile was never that popular until Greninja was announced, and Hoenn remakes were fresh, so people demanded Sceptile to fill the Graas quota. Blaziken is far more popular as a Pokémon in general, but he's a Fire type.
Unfortunately, I see history repeating itself with Rillaboom. Had the Gen 7 Pokémon been picked during the Fighter's Pass run, Decidueye would have almost certainly been the pick, as he is genuinely popular.
The other option is Serperior, as it too is the most popular starter of its region, but Gen 5 also has Zoroark and Victini.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace

They're likely going to have a spirit event if they are going to be in smash ultimate.
How would Spirits from Deadly Premonition can work?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Had the Gen 7 Pokémon been picked during the Fighter's Pass run, Decidueye would have almost certainly been the pick, as he is genuinely popular.
Depends on if A. Mimikyu isn't locked in Poke Ball Prison and B. They don't go with Dusk Lycanroc because that'd be a better time to promote USUM.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Plot twist:
The first major fake Smash Ultimate leak was actually real, and it was a very early prototype of Fighter's Pass Volume 2.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I actually kinda hate how Pokemon is guaranteed a spot in every Smash game. It doesn't matter how bad Sun/Moon and Sw/Sh are, they are still gonna get Pokemon in Smash Ultimate.

toonito

Smash Ace
This thread just...absolutely sucked during the Grinch leak.

Even though I didn't really want Incineroar, I was glad when he was revealed. After three weeks of 72% of the thread telling me I was living in denial (and that's not a random number I pulled from my butt. That's actually how many people voted for Team Real on this thread's poll), I was on the verge of quitting Smashboards. Certainly didn't help that the leak included Banjo, Issac, and Geno, so of course people aggressively defended it against anyone who questioned it.

November 1st felt like the day I was finally vindicated, and I sincerely hope we never get a leak that fools as many people as the Grinch leak did. Fake leaks can add a little spice to a dry season, but it's not worth it when the thread turns into a warzone for nearly a month.
With the Echo Fighter distinction, the debug pic, Vergeben, Box Theory AND the Grinch Leak I was super happy Nov 1st because the common link between them got into Smash:

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Speaking of Spirits. The next weekly event is going to be announced soon.

I hate how nerve wracking they are now thanks to the Resident Evil event.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I actually kinda hate how Pokemon is guaranteed a spot in every Smash game. It doesn't matter how bad Sun/Moon and Sw/Sh are, they are still gonna get Pokemon in Smash Ultimate.
Maybe pokemon getting so much special treatmemt has something to do with it being the #1 highest grossing media franchise of all time.

Just maybe.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm kind of in a fortunate position when it comes to Spirit events, because while there are some third party characters/franchises I'd be okay with getting playable representation or have some level of interest in, the only one I really want badly is Halo/master Chief, and I kinda doubt halo would get the spirit treatment.

(inb4 a halo-themed spirit event is announced tonight )

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Agreed. Instead, we need new Mario and Zelda reps every generation.
Sakurai owes us Skull Kid (Majora's Mask), Midna (Twilight Princess), Impa (Skyward Sword), Revail (Breath of the Wild), Lubba (Galaxy 2), Toad (NSMBW) Nabbit (U), Plessie (3D World), Pauline (Odyssey), and Toadette (U Deluxe)!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Really late to the discussion, but I feel like at this point most of what I would have said has already been said except for one thing:

It's perfectly understandable that Smash is changing directions to a "global gaming" crossover. I for one welcome it - most of the picks I want are third party, after all. But there's something that a lot of the people arguing that "the problem is the fanbase" and "we should keep expanding" haven't considered: Smash has added a lot of value with third parties, but even that has an eventual limit.

For one: Smash is already the best selling fighting game series and Ultimate is the best selling fighting game of all time. I think there's less places to go from here (in terms of actually bringing in a whole lot of people) than people think there are.

Even among third parties, Smash hasn't gone that far from Nintendo. I'd argue the only ones that really did were :ultcloud: and :ultjoker:. Most of the third party picks I see being discussed here would likely also fall under the "Nintendo fan" umbrella in some way. So in that sense, there are relatively few options to keep expanding:
  1. Characters exclusive to other consoles (Master Chief, a Sony rep, a PC or mobile rep) or at least ones that are mostly associated with other consoles (in a similar vein to Joker. I think Dante could fit this, due to not being on Nintendo consoles until recently).
  2. Characters from games/franchises bigger than Smash (like Master Chief, Steve or a GTA rep).
Chances are, if you want someone like Crash or Sora... you're already here. You've probably bought Ultimate already.

This isn't a response to anything in particular, really. Just something that came to mind while reading the discussion as a whole. I just don't think "expansion by third parties" applies in the way people think it does.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm kind of in a fortunate position when it comes to Spirit events, because while there are some third party characters/franchises I'd be okay with getting playable representation or have some level of interest in, the only one I really want badly is Halo/master Chief, and I kinda doubt halo would get the spirit treatment.

(inb4 a halo-themed spirit event is announced tonight )
Oh, right - I nearly forgot that we'll get one of those announcements tonight. I'm not sure if we've had two spirit events with new spirits back-to-back, so I'm guessing it will either be a tournament or a spirit event involving spirits that are already in the game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sceptile was never that popular until Greninja was announced, and Hoenn remakes were fresh, so people demanded Sceptile to fill the Graas quota.
Although, Grovile does have a following due to Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. If that series had any literally content at all (aside from Gladion's theme seeming to be a throwback to two of the songs in it) in Super Smash Bros., we might actually see it proposed more often.

With how popular the series is, and how many potential candidates there are, I think it's good that the series is guaranteed to get a spot. I just wish they would pick a cool existing Pokémon instead of the future hot new starter.

Hopefully in the future, reserved slots are for popular characters that don't exist yet like Rex was to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I haven’t known you long enough to tell if you’re being sarcastic or legitimate yet.
I'm just a ****ing lunatic.
Though the broader statement is true; I do think we need more Mario characters, Plessie is low on my list.
The Zelda list is, however, legitimate. Just add Tingle, and I consider that perfect Zelda representation. And Demise as a Ganondorf Echo.
My ACTUAL Mario wishlist is Waluigi, Toad, Geno, Toadette (Toad Echo), Nabbit, Pauline, Dry Bowser (Bowser Echo), King Boo, Dry Bones, Koopa Troopa, Paper Mario, Paper Luigi (Paper Mario echo), Mario Kart Racer, and Lubba (Big Luma as its own character separate from Rosalina).

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'm just a ****ing lunatic.
Though the broader statement is true; I do think we need more Mario characters, Plessie is low on my list.
The Zelda list is, however, legitimate. Just add Tingle, and I consider that perfect Zelda representation. And Demise as a Ganondorf Echo.
My ACTUAL Mario wishlist is Waluigi, Toad, Geno, Toadette (Toad Echo), Nabbit, Pauline, Dry Bowser (Bowser Echo), Dry Bones, Koopa Troopa, Paper Mario, Paper Luigi (Paper Mario echo), Mario Kart Racer, and Lubba (Big Luma as its own character separate from Rosalina).
FawfulHasFuryOverNotBeingIncluded/10

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If we're just a few days away from an authentic, unspoiled reveal, I'd rather stay in the dark instead of having Verge, VRPlant, or whoever come out and ruin the surprise. Maybe there are some who would love to see if they can get something right even if it's only a few minutes before it's officially revealed, but I've usually lost all interest in any leaks by that point.

That's just me though.
You're not the only one. I'd rather have a total surprise, no matter who's the character. If it's gonna be leaked, well, at least I'd ask those insiders to not say the name when we're a few days of the official reveal. IIRC I said this back then, when we had the Guess Who game before the Game Awards. Why say the name 1 or 2 days before of the reveal?
At that point I'd rather have the surprise.

Given that the sequel is temporarily exclusive on Switch, I could see a spirit board event for Smash.
But hey, Francis York Morgan as DLC fighter would be the craziest curveball so far. lol

Speaking of Spirits. The next weekly event is going to be announced soon.

I hate how nerve wracking they are now thanks to the Resident Evil event.
Yeah... I don't want to remember that day lol. When I refreshed Twitter and saw the Resident Evil spirits I was completely surprised. It felt so so random to me.
I would still like to see Jill or Leon as playable characters in the future.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Lets be real though. Chances are we should only expect 1 or maybe 2 fan favorites at best.
True, but my point was more that "expanding for the sake of expanding" doesn't seem to be Nintendo's goal either. The third parties we currently have are either a mark in gaming history (like :ultsonic: or :ultpacman:), characters who many consider to be "honorarily Nintendo", due to their presence/history in their platforms (like :ultbayonetta: or :ultbanjokazooie:) or some combination of both (such as :ultmegaman: or :ultsimon:). The only exceptions so far seem to be :ultcloud: and :ultjoker:. We might not get a pass full of fan favorites, but we're also not getting a pass full of curveballs either, that's for sure.

To put this into perspective... if someone like Crash gets picked, I doubt it'll have to do with him being a "former Sony mascot" or "bringing in an entire new audience". It's just... people like him enough to justify making a Challenger Pack out of him. That's it. A similar line of thought probably follows for Sora, Phoenix Wright, Bomberman and others.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

It's a Donkey Kong vs Kirby event!?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
How the hell is he noncanon?!
Only the platforming games with "Super Mario" in the title are canon.
This includes Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2.
The only noncanon Mario games to include "Super Mario" in the title are Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, and Super Mario Party.
But don't worry. I'm largely ****ing with you. Waluigi, Paper Mario, and Geno are noncanon, but they are in my list.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Mario Vs Donkey Kong ran it's course so they had to have someone else go against DK

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly I want to say there would be no set pattern on DLC here or character choices. We may get a pass full of curve balls or we may get a pass full of fan favorites after ARMs.

Personally I expect one or two heavily requested characters and a few "Middle ground" or curveball characters. I personally do think the latter example is heavily unlikely since seeing a prediction list of people all putting Sora/Geno/Waluigi/Master Chief/Doom Guy/Crash bandicoot all in the same prediction as if we may get all these heavy hitters/commonly discussed characters one after another makes it feel very unrealistic.

This is why I am open minded on character choices. As unlikely as say.... Reimu, Monokuma, or Lu Bu are, I am open minded to them potentially getting in and wouldn't be shocked if we get a curveball like them or a character everyone assumes is heavily impossible to get in.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The only noncanon Mario games to include "Super Mario" in the title are Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, and Super Mario Party.
But don't worry. I'm largely ****ing with you. Waluigi, Paper Mario, and Geno are noncanon, but they are in my list.
I always viewed the spin off titles as canon since that's where the characters get fleshed out to the point where a lot of the characters' most defining traits come from them, particularly with Luigi.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Since I like Incineroar, I was pretty cool with that Grinch leak being fake anyways. Both had Ken and he's dope too. We eventually got Banjo later so that's pretty clean.

Still weird to think "Oh I work for an ad company who helps with games and movies and Smash just happens to be one" ended being huge.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Battle of the underrepped franchises.
You can't be seriously be analyzing canon in the Mario games. They're actors or whatever, it's all canon.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Winner gets a new character in Fighter's Pass #2:4pacman:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The thing that impressed (assuming that's the right word) me the most about the Grinch leak was how far it went just to fool people.

Like seriously: you make a fake banner, print it out, and then set everything up as if it's in a print shop with some unaffiliated renders from something else, then text it out in French, all the while setting up an identity as some guy who used to work at some actual print shop.

...All to piss people off?

Why?

Some people have strange ideas of 'fun.'

I can't say that I really cared one way or the other about the Grinch. Neither had characters I was really interested in, but Grinch did have a few roadblocks to ones I did like (like that helped them anyway....). Still, it was irritating that all the discussion pretty well focused around the Grinch - there was no more interest in talking about anything else character-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom