• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If these rumors are true, then Nintendo really **** the bed with marketing this year. That, or they honestly don't have any big games coming out, which I really doubt if they have any business sense.

I don't really get it, though. Directs don't really have that high production value. Just stick Bowser or Bill Trinen in front of a green screen and have someone edit it from home. I get that maybe quarantines have slowed down development for some games, but they still must have something to show, even if it wouldn't be "E3 Direct" caliber.
If they were going to do this, then- rather than destroying their legacy of E3 reveals/talent for the big video projects that get revealed their in the past four years, it would be sensible to distance themselves entirely from calling it E3, even from it being in June. Hence, May is a very possible option.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If they were going to do this, then- rather than destroying their legacy of E3 reveals/talent for the big video projects that get revealed their in the past four years, it would be sensible to distance themselves entirely from calling it E3, even from it being in June. Hence, May is a very possible option.
Um, destroying their legacy? Don't you think that's a bit too much? It's not like people won't understand if the production values and amount of games are a tad worse, we're in the midst of a pandemic and everyone's aware of the hardships it brings. As long as they have one or two big games (which they should have anyway, they aren't going the rest of the year without releasing anything) and a Smash reveal, which is usually what people remember the most anyways, they should be fine.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So with the June Direct on thin ice, I wanted to ask, what do you think Nintendo's backup plan is, assuming they have one? We're in a situation similar to March where we only know one major (Xenoblade) and nothing more.
I kinda doubt shadow drops are going to start becoming the norm. It's pretty clear Nintendo likes the format and it makes a lot of sense from a business perspective. Smaller announcements get to ride on hype for the larger announcements. People who would otherwise just tune in to see the next big game or Smash fighter are exposed to a bunch of games they might've otherwise missed.

I instead think updates and DLC for older games is now going to be more and more important to Nintendo going forward. Instead of a Nintendo Direct containing trailers for 10 upcoming games, they'll have maybe 3 or 4 trailers for upcoming games while the remainder of the presentation is devoted to DLC and updates. It's no longer about getting out as many big games as possible, it's about making a handful of titles last as long as possible.

EDIT: I was just watching Arlo's video on the direct delay and he brought up a very good point. Part of the appeal of a Nintendo direct is the surprise factor that comes from it being live. There's a communal experience that comes from everyone finding out and reacting to previously unknown information at the same time. A lot of that magic is lost when Nintendo just drops a "Here's a trailer for Spring Man in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!" post without warning on Twitter and YouTube.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
If these rumors are true, then Nintendo really **** the bed with marketing this year. That, or they honestly don't have any big games coming out, which I really doubt if they have any business sense.
I feel like this is something we say every year though.

Nintendo's been having fewer and fewer blow out directs lately, and we all end up complaining that they have nothing to talk about until they finally have a direct and give us something huge like BotW2. I'm sure Nintendo does have things coming out this year - haven't a lot of rumors been focusing around a bunch of Mario things and an Earthbound remake and the Metroid Prime trilogy? - they just really like holding their cards to surprise us all with a big set of reveals. Eventually...

And let's face it: Nintendo is also one of the few game companies that could get away with "We just ported a bunch of old WiiU/3DS games to the Switch. Now pay $60 again for something we did minimal work on" and we'd go "Yes senpai! ^u^" Seriously, I'd re-buy the Zelda OoT/MM/TP ports for Switch no question.

(PS get on that Ninty, I can't find my old 3DS and want to replay OoT and MM).

I figure Nintendo's still gonna give us new stuff at some point. If they can't get the trailers made, they may not be able to hook it all together in a direct, but they can still piecemeal things they have close enough to release.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I've heard that this news is mostly referring to how Nintendo won't be handling third party announcements or gathering them all in one presentation. I guess we don't know what they are going to do with their own first party stuff or if we will get some smaller direct just for first party stuff. Atleast if I'm interpreting this stuff correctly.

At the very least I'm assuming we are still good to find out who the ARMS rep is in June.

That and I guess it is still possible third parties with Switch stuff planned could always just announce stuff by themselves in June anyways without Nintendo.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I don't really get it, though. Directs don't really have that high production value. Just stick Bowser or Bill Trinen in front of a green screen and have someone edit it from home. I get that maybe quarantines have slowed down development for some games, but they still must have something to show, even if it wouldn't be "E3 Direct" caliber.
They were doing fine until the Coronavirus pandemic ****ed up plans. We've had major information dropping about titles every single month and a couple of major early year releases that managed to come out. Sure a lot of it has been updates and DLC, but Nintendo is coming off the absolutely insane 2019 and is still adding content to those titles and extending their life cycles with additional content. I mean we had:

1. January 2020 - Pokemon Direct and Smash Presentation; Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Three Houses major 4th route DLC releases
  2. February 2020 - Animal Crossing New Horizons Direct
  3. March 2020 - Animal Crossing New Horizons and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX release; Mini Direct at the end of the month that discussed big titles such as Bravely Default 2, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, ARMS character in Smash, a bunch of new third party titles, and confirms brand new titles in the existence of Clubhouse Games and Good Job.
  4. April 2020 - Super Mario Maker 2 Final Update (still salty it's the last one though), Animal Crossing New Horizons major update, and Deadly Premonition 2 release date and news. There's also supposed rumblings Nintendo originally had a larger Mario Direct planned for this month originally.
Pretty solid stuff all around I'd say, and clearly focusing a bit more on DLC/Updates after 2019's impressive lineup like I said. Coronavirus clearly interfered with their plans and while I agree I think dropping a June Direct is a bit too much at this point (you would think at least some stuff would be ready and could be organized, Nintendo seems like they're having a lot more trouble with WFH than most of the Western world seems to be having), it's also likely 2020 was never meant to be a massive year beyond like Animal Crossing and possibly those 3D Mario ports.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Yeah, probably an unpopular opinion, but I mostly agree.
Not saying that they could make and prepare a Direct pushing a magic button, obviously it requires some effort. But it isn't impossible for them to make a Direct around June.

Looking at previous years the first months were really soft in terms of Nintendo releases and usually most of the big stuff came out at the second half of the year. I always expected this to be the same for 2020, and while all this situation has probably delayed a good amount of games, Nintendo isn't the only company in this situation. AAA developments are still being made.
I understand Nintendo doesn't want to give definitive dates for their games due to the pandemic, but besides Xenoblade, which they already talked about, they don't have anything more officially announced for this year.

Also, yeah, the ARMS fighter will probably have it's own presentation by June. And they could announce things on Twitter... but if someone's really expecting them to make big reveals or trailers on Twitter, I really doubt it. Nintendo won't reveal a hypothetical Breath of the Wild 2 or Metroid Prime 4 trailer on Twitter, the same could be said for announcing new first party titles. Not expecting a random tweet announcing idk, Mario Odyssey 2.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm gonna be honest, no Direct in June has me a little concerned. Especially since Microsoft and Sony are apparently showing off their new consoles soon. I can only hope Nintendo has SOMETHING to show, Direct or otherwise.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They were doing fine until the Coronavirus pandemic ****ed up plans. We've had major information dropping about titles every single month and a couple of major early year releases that managed to come out. Sure a lot of it has been updates and DLC, but Nintendo is coming off the absolutely insane 2019 and is still adding content to those titles and extending their life cycles with additional content. I mean we had:

1. January 2020 - Pokemon Direct and Smash Presentation; Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Three Houses major 4th route DLC releases
  2. February 2020 - Animal Crossing New Horizons Direct
  3. March 2020 - Animal Crossing New Horizons and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX release; Mini Direct at the end of the month that discussed big titles such as Bravely Default 2, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, ARMS character in Smash, a bunch of new third party titles, and confirms brand new titles in the existence of Clubhouse Games and Good Job.
  4. April 2020 - Super Mario Maker 2 Final Update (still salty it's the last one though), Animal Crossing New Horizons major update, and Deadly Premonition 2 release date and news. There's also supposed rumblings Nintendo originally had a larger Mario Direct planned for this month originally.
Pretty solid stuff all around I'd say, and clearly focusing a bit more on DLC/Updates after 2019's impressive lineup like I said. Coronavirus clearly interfered with their plans and while I agree I think dropping a June Direct is a bit too much at this point (you would think at least some stuff would be ready and could be organized, Nintendo seems like they're having a lot more trouble with WFH than most of the Western world seems to be having), it's also likely 2020 was never meant to be a massive year beyond like Animal Crossing and possibly those 3D Mario ports.
It feels like you're trying to upsell me on something, I mean the schedule you showed is really quite disappointing. We have:

1. January 2020 - DLC and DLC; release of a port and DLC
  2. February 2020 - Animal Crossing New Horizons Direct (AKA their only big game of the year so far)
  3. March 2020 - Animal Crossing New Horizons and a remake release; Mini Direct at the end of the month that discussed big titles such as Bravely Default 2 (announced in 2019), Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition (announced in 2019, also a remake), DLC, a bunch of new third party titles, and confirms some really low budget titles.
  4. April 2020 - DLC, DLC, and a mid-budget title previously announced gets a release date.
Like, please, I love Good Job as much as anyone and I'm stoked that Deadly Premonition 2 is getting made at all, but with a quarter of the year gone by, we've seen exactly one big title and then a ton of ports, remakes and DLC for old games, we don't know what they've got planned except for the Xenoblade remake and rumors of Mario remakes. That's hardly reassuring or exciting as a consumer. Of course, people should and will be understanding of any delays and hiccups in development that spawn from this awful situation, but even just trailers with a big asterisk that games might not make their releases would go a long way.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Technically he didn't get Byleth wrong, it's just for some ****ing reason, he did not know Byleth was from Fire Emblem / Fire Emblem was a 1st Party Nintendo IP

That sounds like he got it wrong. Not knowing something doesn't mean you're exempt from being incorrect.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Nintendo had had a normal Direct in January or February like usual, it's not like they'd be much better off, they'd still be delaying the majority of titles shown. And fans wouldn't be that much better off either, considering we'd have to face all the delays. I guess it'd be slightly preferable for the fans, insofar as we'd know what was coming, even if not when. And I'd prefer that, because I don't mind waiting.

I suppose the notion that they "don't have anything" wouldn't be there, but that's a silly suggestion anyway. Obviously they have games in development, games that could be shown, and even games that could probably be released, but now they're scrambling to reorganize their schedule and account for the projects majorly thrown off course.

So it's unfortunate they opted not to do a Direct earlier this year, and even more unfortunate the current situation has most of the world upside-down right now, but you can't really blame anyone for anything. It's hard to condemn a company for being caught with their pants down when the precipitating factor is a global pandemic.

The silver lining is hopefully this makes for an exciting and robust 2021.

Are we sure this isn't just Sabi on an alt account?
Any alt of Sabi’s that doesn’t spend an inordinate amount of time talking up Sabi isn’t an alt of Sabi’s.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm gonna be honest, no Direct in June has me a little concerned. Especially since Microsoft and Sony are apparently showing off their new consoles soon. I can only hope Nintendo has SOMETHING to show, Direct or otherwise.
I don't think Nintendo and Microsoft/Sony are competition to each other, or at least not big rivals, but yeah. Microsoft just announced today an Inside Xbox for the next week where they will showcase some 3rd party titles running on the new Xbox. Rumours are also saying that Sony will make it's own event in order to showcase the PS5 during May, and it makes sense because PS5 and Xbox Series X are releasing in holiday and the marketing train has to start sooner than later.
Also, we know that Microsoft will make a digital showcase around E3, and IIRC some big publishers will do as well, such as Bethesda, I think?

Obviously the situation for each company isn't the same for the rest and we don't know how things are running internally on Nintendo in comparison to other companies, but the point is that it isn't impossible to prepare a Direct for June.

About the lack of titles during the beginning of this year, as I said I'm not really surprised by that, it's how Nintendo has been the last few years. 1 or 2 big games and then ports or remakes.

RocksteadyBebop

Banned via Warnings

You really don’t work do you? Not trying to be rude here but if you actually worked in the real world you’d understand that’s it’s much more than just filming and slapping some **** together on a screen and saying “it’s done”. You really seem to be acting out of disappointment, which I understand.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
At least in the case with Smash, remember that usually the presentations were recorded a month or more in advance.

Granted, I don't actually know that the Pandemic would allow for a similar scenario. These times are unprecedented for sure. i do feel as though Nintendo will provide coverage in some capacity either way. Especially with the ARMS character, it doesn't need to be anything other than gameplay footage. The gameplay that Sakurai has shown have almost never been the same as the "final product" so showing whoever it is at an earlier stage with some CG cut-ins I think is what we could get.

Or, we get a reveal similar to the Smash Wii U DLC and it's just straight up gameplay.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At least in the case with Smash, remember that usually the presentations were recorded a month or more in advance.

Granted, I don't actually know that the Pandemic would allow for a similar scenario. These times are unprecedented for sure. i do feel as though Nintendo will provide coverage in some capacity either way. Especially with the ARMS character, it doesn't need to be anything other than gameplay footage. The gameplay that Sakurai has shown have almost never been the same as the "final product" so showing whoever it is at an earlier stage with some CG cut-ins I think is what we could get.

Or, we get a reveal similar to the Smash Wii U DLC and it's just straight up gameplay.
I would hope not. That it’s not minimalist gameplay only trailers a la 4 and PP. they went all out with CGI for Hero and Banjo, and stylized animation for Joker, Terry and Byleth. I was impressed and I hope they can continue that

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be fair, the Cyberpunk franchise has been around since 1988. Long before the term "cyberpunk" became a popularized term.
Ah so it's a "generic because it was first" kinda thing. Neat.

You really don’t work do you? Not trying to be rude here but if you actually worked in the real world you’d understand that’s it’s much more than just filming and slapping some **** together on a screen and saying “it’s done”. You really seem to be acting out of disappointment, which I understand.
Or he could just not work as or with video editors. In my (incredibly surface level) experience, the editing portion is mostly just putting everything in place, and making sure it all works together. I don't think this part would be a problem so much as the part where all the stuff is made; you can't edit footage that can't or just doesn't exist yet, and getting it all takes time, especially with 3rd parties involved.

EDIT EDIT: Most of this wasn't meant to be a counterpoint so much as just me stating my perspective.

They could also do the thing they did with Corrin and Bayonetta in which they released a followup video of the two battling on Ω Colosseum with Lost in Thoughts all Alone playing.

EDIT: Obviously not for the reveal, but if they couldn't make a character breakdown video then an exhibition match would be the second best thing.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Um, destroying their legacy? Don't you think that's a bit too much? It's not like people won't understand if the production values and amount of games are a tad worse, we're in the midst of a pandemic and everyone's aware of the hardships it brings. As long as they have one or two big games (which they should have anyway, they aren't going the rest of the year without releasing anything) and a Smash reveal, which is usually what people remember the most anyways, they should be fine.
From a marketing perspective? No, it's not too much.
Of course it wont actually destroy their legacy.
But why, when E3 isnt happening, would they feel the need to have an E3 direct, titled or marketed the same way?

I'm absolutely serious that this makes no sense. Literally, just change the branding, just like they did with the echoes. Public perception is reality. The easy solution, if they are going to go low key for a video, is to not make it anything like E3, including the month and presentation style. This is a hard pivot.

Again, I didn't say they would have no video for months. I'm in the opposite camp. I think a smaller May direct is prominent. Then they beat the June crowd, distance themselves from expectation, and actually get out information they want to get out. Three birds.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

I wouldn't even say **** the bed considering how the Switch and Animal Crossing are breaking records, so its clearly paying off to some extent. The virus though likely is throwing wrenches into the Holiday line if anything. I fully expect games that were plan for July and August to be apart of the Holiday line up while some of the key Holiday titles are release through out 2021.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Just tweet announcements whenever and eventually post trailers when they're finally ready
If Nintendo plans on trickling out new game reveals then they are shooting themselves in the foot. The whole point of a video game news blowout is for exposure. You get a bunch of eyes glued to the screen watching trailer after trailer. Tons of people are exposed to more games than just revealing them separately.

Quietly announcing games on Twitter will be a huge mistake.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
If Nintendo plans on trickling out new game reveals then they are shooting themselves in the foot. The whole point of a video game news blowout is for exposure. You get a bunch of eyes glued to the screen watching trailer after trailer. Tons of people are exposed to more games than just revealing them separately.

The other choice is Nintendo straight up not announcing anything until late summer, when they can put a direct together. Would you rather have them keep quiet for months or just release trailers on Youtube? Besides Ring Fit Adventure was announced in a trailer posted to Youtube days after a direct and that is selling big time to the point it keeps having shortages.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
One million deaths from Coronavirus: "Meh."
Nintendo E3 Direct cancelled due to Coronavirus: "**** THIS VIRUS!!!! GET THAT VACCINE OUT!!!"

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Yes, because Nintendo shadowdropping announcements is by far the worst choice as evidenced by your strawman argument. They don't even have the operational capacity for a direct right now, so what do you want? For them to just sit around twiddling their thumbs for potentially months as Sony and Microsoft, their pseudo-competitors, ramp up the PR for the next console cold war? From a business and marketing perspective, that's just stupid. Especially when Nintendo already has multiple platforms with which to engage with fans.

People would still flip their **** over a shadowdrop, and social media would light up as it always does when Nintendo announces something. Any loss in PR spread from a direct could be made up for by the sudden nature of announcements ("gotta keep eyes on Nintendo Twitter to see what new, exciting stuff they announce!") and the freak-out reactions people would have to the announcements themselves ("OMG NINTENDO REALLY DID JUST DROP A MARIO HD COLLECTION ON US HUH?" "MARIO 64 HDDDDDDD" etc. etc. etc.). The reactions to announcements could furthermore be carried by individuals' social medias, rather than being confined to a chatbox in the moment.

There are plenty of positives to shadowdropping reveals on Social Media, to the point where, at the very least, they make up for the cons of not having Directs for the time being.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The other choice is Nintendo straight up not announcing anything until late summer, when they can put a direct together. Would you rather have them keep quiet for months or just release trailers on Youtube? Besides Ring Fit Adventure was announced in a trailer posted to Youtube days after a direct and that is selling big time to the point it keeps having shortages.
Yeah I'm totally okay with them postponing a Direct to a later date. I just think it would be a mistake to reveal games out of the blue here and there. I think they do it for LABO and Ring Fit because those are geared more towards casual audiences. They also have such a unique premise that they can stand out on their own. But gamers are fickle. Very very fickle. You need to impress and generate hype.

Anything with "Mario" on it will be fine. They can shadow drop that any time. But what if it's a new IP? How do you get people interested and excited for that?

I already know from experience that some games suffer from a shadow drop. Wario Land Shake It was unceremoniously revealed out of the blue. It did terribly. Would announcing it alongside other big games at a big event have helped it's exposure? Possibly.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Never underestimate an angry gamer.
coronavirus targeted gamers.

Gamers.

We're a group of people who will sit for hours, days, even weeks on end performing some of the hardest, most mentally demanding tasks. Over, and over, and over all for nothing more than a little digital token saying we did.

We'll punish our selfs doing things others would consider torture, because we think it's fun.

coronavirus honestly think this is a battle it can win? coronavirus take our nintendo? We're already building a new one without them. coronavirus take our devs? Gamers aren't shy about throwing their money else where, or even making the games our selves. coronavirus picked a fight against a group who enjoy the battle of attrition it threatened us with.

Gamers are competative, hard core, by nature. We love a challange. The worst thing coronavirus did in all of this was to challange us. its not special, its not original, its not the first; this is just another boss fight.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Nintendo always announces their more casual stuff like that, same thing with Labo.

I don't think them not doing a direct is just because they can't record one, it's a montage of trailers and a couple people on a green screen. Lets think about this for a second. Nintendo has been quiet to the point of absurdity about what they actually have coming out this year. They've basically announced no new first party games aside from ports and remakes since E3 of last year. Being honest, I think they planned for this to be a slow year, carried by smaller releases/remakes, third party stuff like Bravely Default 2 and No More Heroes 3, and 2 big first party releases, Animal Crossing and whatever the Holiday game is/was supposed to be, maybe BOTW2, not sure.

Now though, this entire situation has basically snuck them into a corner where it's entirely plausible that whatever game they planned on carrying the second half of this year has been delayed, all they have for the rest of the year is smaller projects, and any 2021 games they have either aern't ready to be shown/have been delayed also. Why hold a direct at that point when you can either spread out smaller announcements or wait until stuff sorts out a little and hold the direct late summer when the games are ready, especially since they aren't obligated to do anything since E3 is cancelled.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
This virus has basically been the perfect opportunity to complete my backlog of games.

Sucks to hear about the delay but it could be worse.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Rate this Pass (My current prediction)

76: Spring Man
77: Paper Mario
78: Travis Touchdown
79: Ryu Hayabusa
80: Crash Bandicoot
81: Goose

SirCamp

Smash Ace
You guys just because there isn’t going to be an E3/June direct doesn’t mean there are no announcements coming. Maybe there aren’t, I guess, I obviously don’t know. But if we are to assume that the lack of a direct is due to corona virus related issues that doesn’t mean that whatever they had lined up just disappeared. They simply aren’t organizing those projects announcements around a direct. I would guess due to organizational issues. Cooperating with third parties for announcements is going to be hard right now, and let’s be real a direct with only 1st party announcements, even if those are the main focus each time, is gonna be pretty short.

My guess is we will just get various game announcements outside of a direct schedule. This also allows for a more elastic release plan for games in case they need to delay. I highly doubt the last direct with the release dates subject to change warning was their ideal solution to that potential problem.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Rate this Pass (My current prediction)

76: Spring Man
77: Paper Mario
78: Travis Touchdown
79: Ryu Hayabusa
80: Crash Bandicoot
81: Goose
Don't care about the last one much, but a pretty solid pass, imo. Lots of really unique characters all across the companies. Most I know enough to appreciate what they can do on average. Even if it's mostly surface level outside of Paper Mario, really.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I understand that the quarantine affects Nintendo as well, but goddamn. Now is the time we MOST need exciting news, because this quarantine is a ****ing BORE-antine.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
coronavirus targeted gamers.

Gamers.

We're a group of people who will sit for hours, days, even weeks on end performing some of the hardest, most mentally demanding tasks. Over, and over, and over all for nothing more than a little digital token saying we did.

We'll punish our selfs doing things others would consider torture, because we think it's fun.

coronavirus honestly think this is a battle it can win? coronavirus take our nintendo? We're already building a new one without them. coronavirus take our devs? Gamers aren't shy about throwing their money else where, or even making the games our selves. coronavirus picked a fight against a group who enjoy the battle of attrition it threatened us with.

Gamers are competative, hard core, by nature. We love a challange. The worst thing coronavirus did in all of this was to challange us. its not special, its not original, its not the first; this is just another boss fight.
I hate that I know the exact copypasta you're referencing.

Plank08

Smash Lord
If Smash is now supposed to be a a general gaming crossover, it's a piss poor one. The vast majority of fighters are from Nintendo. A true gaming crossover would be a little more balanced. All the different companies would have way more reps than they do right now. And don't give me that "but most of the best video game characters are from Nintendo anyway" excuse when we have characters like Ice Climbers in the game, who would never be a part of any general gaming crossover. This is still mostly a Nintendo crossover with some 3rd Parties thrown in.
I consider it a Nintendo crossover that is becoming a general crossover, I mean it may not have a large quantity of third parties but the quality of them is amazing, all of the third parties (except you sonic) have incredible movesets and are all icons in their own right.
Please fix sonic sakurai I’m begging you.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I have a hard time finding Gamexplain authentic (different from credible) now given certain events I could elaborate on but won't.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Don't care about the last one much, but a pretty solid pass, imo. Lots of really unique characters all across the companies. Most I know enough to appreciate what they can do on average. Even if it's mostly surface level outside of Paper Mario, really.
Thanks.

And yeah I based this off of I expect an balance. One fan favorite (Crash Bandicoot), two middle grounds (Hayabusa and Travis), two 1st parties (Spring Man and Paper Mario) and one wild card (Goose).

Crash because he's popular both East and West. Hayabusa and Travis given Tecmo's great relationship with Nintendo, being involved working on Smash and Hayabusa being among the last NES icons and Travis before being ported to Playstation was Nintendo exclusive and Sakurai's friendship with the creator who stated he won't let Sakurai get away not adding Travis. Paper Mario given rumors of new Paper Mario game and anniversary of Mario.

Spring Man is obvious and the Goose. Its just an character I could see being pulled off no one would even expect. No one expected Piranha Plant so imagine the reactions to Goose.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm pretty confident that Rex & Pyra will be one of the DLC fighters.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm pretty confident that Rex & Pyra will be one of the DLC fighters.
I was pretty confident that they were a lock for the first pass and we all know how that turned out.

Rex isn't quite dead in the water but I'm not getting my hopes up too much, at least not until we see who the ARMS fighter ends up being.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If we're talking about first parties with decent shots, I think there's a good lad who deserves a little love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom