• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I agree with your ideal Chu, pretty much have aside from your stance on third party characters. The only issue I have with your statement is that the sales indicate Smash Bros superiority in mechanics and function. Could not a significant portion of the sales be attributed to the characters associated with the game itself (even more so in Brawl with the additions of Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog)? Granted, there has to be a good base to have a series be more successful with each title released. But I think that may also be a bigger factor in the equation than perhaps you elaborated on.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I just want good characters that bring something unique. Yeah it is fun having your favorite or popular characters in the game, but as I've come to learn those oddball choices are usually the best ones. Hopefully they can retain that in this next title. Characters should be selected for criteria outside of the asinine "Equal Opportunity"/"House of Representative" attitude most fans seem to base character's chances upon.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I also like the idea that she doesn't have a conventional grab but she lurches her neck forward and grabs her opponent by biting. If she did become playable, I'd really like for them to play up the snake part of her character.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
You said something about art. What do you do for a living? I'm hoping to get a Bachelor of arts in game design.
I'm a student. i have never had a job. i am 20... (i will be able to legally purchase alcoholic beverages in 6 months. yay) my art is in my sig... i.e. on deviantart... though 80% is robot master redesigns. i study Game Art & Design at AI. Being in a GD school didn't help with my traditional work seeing as how i peaked, but it did get a hand around digital works. Re-entering college and attending an anatomy class bumped my peak higher so i may have more room to practice. it was hell. it was also a miracle that i passed all 4 classes last quarter (even though i had to drop my History class to keep up with the other classes, i never told my parents that i dropped that class.).

Anyways, I recommend going to college.

back on topic to keep up appearances: Medusa... if i had to choose between the two, i'd choose medusa over krystal... no, not cause she be a female villain, cause she looks damn cool and that fatmanonice idea of naga forme while dashing was extremely intriguing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
To be honest, it feels to me like they've used up all the iconic characters.

A lot of characters would be...cool. But none of them feel like "This character will make the game!"

Maybe it's just my assumed roster for this game though, as the few iconic characters left will likely be left out.

Except Geno of course, that's just out of nowhere and would make my game

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I also like the idea that she doesn't have a conventional grab but she lurches her neck forward and grabs her opponent by biting. If she did become playable, I'd really like for them to play up the snake part of her character.
Those are certainly some interesting thoughts. Even though I've brushed over her in discussion once in awhile, I never really stopped to consider what she could be capable of? Huh.

My biggest problem with the Smash community is the lens through which people judge characters "chances". Want to see me pull out my collegiate essay skills? Get me started on that topic, I swear I have written wall of text after wall of text only for all my work to fall upon deaf or literary lazy people. People wonder why I don't bother wasting my time debating or having detailed and comprehensive discourse on a subject? Because half the time I'm ignored and the other I realize how fruitless it would be.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Those are certainly some interesting thoughts. Even though I've brushed over her in discussion once in awhile, I never really stopped to consider what she could be capable of? Huh.

My biggest problem with the Smash community is the lens through which people judge characters "chances". Want to see me pull out my collegiate essay skills? Get me started on that topic, I swear I have written wall of text after wall of text only for all my work to fall upon deaf or literary lazy people.
I have that same problem with the whole "Chances" thing. The way they are determined are highly arbitrary and usually come down to voting in small groups

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I've told you time and time before star that writing actual ideas here wasn't worth it.

Knock yourself out though. Don't be surprised to get the same 1 to 2 respond to it and then for it to fade away in 5 more posts.

:phone:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Why do we need to come up with "chances"? Arguing about who is deserving is better because at least then it's possible to come to a reasonable agreement.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
but we still have to come up with "chances" because we aren't inside the minds of the game creators
No, but after three games and many interviews I can tell you what he has said on how he chooses characters. Which is much different than many of the fan's process of evaluation. Plus most of the "chances" have more to do with arbitrary factors and variables instead of looking at a character them self.

I've told you time and time before star that writing actual ideas here wasn't worth it.

Knock yourself out though. Don't be surprised to get the same 1 to 2 respond to it and then for it to fade away in 5 more posts.

Believe me, I don't. That is why I've re-imagined myself into "Mr. Creativity".

Steam

Smash Hero
No, but after three games and many interviews I can tell you what he has said on how he chooses characters. Which is much different than many of the fan's process of evaluation. Plus most of the "chances" have more to do with arbitrary factors and variables instead of looking at a character them self.
then what are the criteria that apparently decide everything?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I just want good characters that bring something unique. Yeah it is fun having your favorite or popular characters in the game, but as I've come to learn those oddball choices are usually the best ones. Hopefully they can retain that in this next title. Characters should be selected for criteria outside of the asinine "Equal Opportunity"/"House of Representative" attitude most fans seem to base character's chances upon.
If I may ask, since you support her over Ridley, how do you envision Dark Samus in Smash? You've said she "excites" you more than Ridley and I'm just curious what you think she could bring to the roster. The only Prime game I actually played through was Corruption... :I (Not that I didn't click those videos you posted before or anything)

Kantrip

Kantplay
When arguing who is "deserving"? Why can't we determine the variables? We pretty much come up with our own points for why a character is "deserving", and compare that to other characters' points.

It works on a case by case basis.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
then what are the criteria that apparently decide everything?
Did I say decide everything? No, I did not. You are stretching my wording to insuate something I was in no way referring too. All I said is Sakurai has shared in interviews his mentality when it comes to selecting characters. The way he approaches the roster is much different than that of the general fanbase.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When arguing who is "deserving"? Why can't we determine the variables? We pretty much come up with our own points for why a character is "deserving", and compare that to other characters' points.

It works on a case by case basis.
Mostly because the arbitrary variables become a status quo and those who argue against it are ad hominid without any justification.

Steam

Smash Hero
Did I say decide everything? No, I did not. You are stretching my wording to insuate something I was in no way referring too. All I said is Sakurai has shared in interviews his mentality when it comes to selecting characters. The way he approaches the roster is much different than that of the general fanbase.
well sakurai decides everything sooooo....

and what is the mentality he uses? :/

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If I may ask, since you support her over Ridley, how do you envision Dark Samus in Smash? You've said she "excites" you more than Ridley and I'm just curious what you think she could bring to the roster. The only Prime game I actually played through was Corruption... :I (Not that I didn't click those videos you posted before or anything)
Somebody is a little bitter I see. I never said she excited me more, what I did say is that Ridley has never been a character that has excited me at the thought of being playable. In some ways it might mean the same, but I never actually stated it. lol

I've just always enjoyed Dark Samus and always envisioned her functioning pretty well in the game. Summoning icicles to rain down, Phazon barriers that pulsate out, creating "echoes" of herself, levitating instead of walking/running, Metroid Prime Final Smash.

It has always been a personal thing.

well sakurai decides everything sooooo....

and what is the mentality he uses? :/
He chooses characters based upon what they bring that is different. Those were his words, if you are truly interested I'm sure you can find the interview.

Steam

Smash Hero
He chooses characters based upon what they bring that is different. Those were his words, if you are truly interested I'm sure you can find the interview.
oh I've seen that. and I've always considered it to be part of what determine the characters. tho if that's what he really goes by lucario is quite safe. woo.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sorry to break you up, but i was wondering: Does the boy from secret of Evermore have a name(apart from one you choose?)
To my knowledge no, but that doesn't mean it isn't the case.

Great, now I have to post this music again!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Somebody is a little bitter I see. I never said she excited me more, what I did say is that Ridley has never been a character that has excited me at the thought of being playable. In some ways it might mean the same, but I never actually stated it. lol

I've just always enjoyed Dark Samus and always envisioned her functioning pretty well in the game. Summoning icicles to rain down, Phazon barriers that pulsate out, creating "echoes" of herself, levitating instead of walking/running, Metroid Prime Final Smash.

It has always been a personal thing.
NOT BITTER was just curious. >: You've never discredited Ridley for silly reasons, only personal preferences. RESPECTABLE. Anyway, that actually does help me see how she would play. I've always thought she would have to playable in order to perfectly represent (UH OH~) the series, but I was never sure how she would play. THANK YOU.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
NOT BITTER was just curious. >: You've never discredited Ridley for silly reasons, only personal preferences. RESPECTABLE. Anyway, that actually does help me see how she would play. I've always thought she would have to playable in order to perfectly represent (UH OH~) the series, but I was never sure how she would play. THANK YOU.
To date these are the abilites I know she has:

1. Phazon beam
  2. Phazon missile
  3. Turns into a ball of Phazon in the air and crashes into opponent
  4. Speed ball
  5. Fragmented Phazon blast
  6. Raining icicles onto field
  7. Phazon barrier
  8. Create clones (echoes) of herself
  9. Two clones come together and spin around her, doing other wild things
  10. Regenerate

Might be missing some others but those are what come off the top of my head.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I'd say you're missing her biggest ability: Corruption.

She can overwhelm something and corrupt it into something for her own perverse use. That could be an interesting option.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
To date these are the abilites I know she has:

1. [*]Phazon beam
    [*]Phazon missile
CLOOOOONE

But seriously. Do you have an idea of an overall playstyle? For whatever reason I've always thought she'd have loads of multi-hit attacks since a lot of her moves would be kind of ENERGY-BASED. I'm probably still applying that to her now so I'm thinking she'd be able to deal loads of damage.

Maybe... great mid-range game, but not the greatest at dealing with close opponents...? Am I totally off here?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I saw pervert use.

Instantly thought of Dark Samus as a nympho.
I, I like it like it.

Okay, there was some interesting discussion going on with Star and Fatman.(I always feel like I'm insulting you) Star, correct me if I'm wrong on the following but you seem to be saying that instead of talking about a character's likelyhood, that we should discuss characters based on what unique things they bring. While I am all for this because I'm clearly a supporter of the weird. (Suicune, Jill Valinetine, Cassandra) You said it yourself that there is some criteria that Sakurai bases his decisions on. We can look at these, and still have a decent conversation and make some educated guesses. Smashchu brought up the whole ROB thing, I mean I remember hearing about him on Nsider asd a kid and being like "pffft. Riiight" and look at who made it in. So while there is some things we canno't accurately predict (They call them WTF characters for a reason) it's not a reason to stop discussing topics like these. On top of this, we have something that Crimson, Birthnote, SSBF, and I used during our discussion of Diddy/Dixie/Funky ect. We talked about a if series themselves or characters as an individual merit being added to smash.

While I agree that talking about characters who are unique and thinking up ideas for how they play is really fun, I don't want people to blurr the lines and think that this gives them a one way ticket into smash. It's a factor yes, like you brought up when Sakurai said that's how he picked characters, but Dedede, Wolf, and Pokemon Trainer were all added in most likely for more than just the reason that they were unique. That much, everyone here can agree on.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Okay guys, I'm gonna post my full on depth Black-Knight moveset, but I need some suggestions, that's why I'm giong to hold voting and such fir you guys to decide what's best so....

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Lucas maybe, but Ness is totally getting cut, remember? GEEZ.
Out. Get... Out. :-P

But seriously if the do cut ness i might break the disc in half in outrage.(actually thats not as serious as would've liked)

On a serious serious note i doubt they'll ever cut ness now that he's a 3rd time vet.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But seriously if the do cut ness i might break the disc in half in outrage.(actually thats not as serious as would've liked)
My butt is going to watch Family Guy and then hit the Hay, but I'll leave you with this. Leave the melodramtic statements to me. I do recall saying I would die if they didn't add a certain playstyle to SSB4. Yep. I've said similar things many times before. It's my territory, BACK OFF.

:)

Oasis is really starting to get annoying and unrealistic!
He just does it because it bugs people. Just learn to ignore it. But I like me some Oasis, when He/She(Probably He) is serious. He(Probably) is smart and should try to be productive more often.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
They are NOT going to cut Ness!!

Oasis is really starting to get annoying and unrealistic! :glare:

I for one have had it with this nonsense, from now on were going to be extra productive around here...maybe.

Okay for one I will by saying that people should stop being ignorant, listen to the facts or at least anything that sounds realistic and should ******* stop and comprehend it before stating some idiotic suggestions that I've been seeing so far, LISTEN when something worth looking at is being written by such as Fatman, Shortie and SSBFan!!

I am tired of all this god damn nonsense, I've had it, quit being unrealistic or GTFO!!

Seriously.

Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom