• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Main reason why I don't post in there. I say anything they don't like and it turns into a pointless argument.
I definitely understand where you're coming from. It's not easy to reason with them, but I like them for the most part. You have known them longer than I, and you've debated with them longer than I have. Buuuut I like everyone :) . . . .give or take about three. . or four. . .

Medusa would make it in anyways
The thing is, all we really CAN do with her is guess. Kid Icarus, and Wario are two series that coouuuld use another character, I mean it's possible, but we have nothing on their series to look at in the past games like we do with StarFox/Mario series.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Medusa, just a character i literally pulled out of a hat. as well as Krystal which was in the same context as Medusa.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
there was a trollface for a reason :D
I was being as polite as possible for a reason.

Medusa, just a character i literally pulled out of a hat
I assumed you did, but I just had the urge to talk about her. She's just someone we literally have to almost guess about.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
okay, personally, i think you are way better than I in regards to Graphic Designing. (but when it comes to physical drawing... well... i'd have to see)

i've only been to Artwork emporium like once... it was kind of a boring place for my taste. (kinda strange seeing as it's what i do for a living... well, will do)
I know this is getting a little off topic, but truth is I've been doing hobbyist graphic design for at least 7-8 years now. I started out as a kid on Nsider, going to their then graphics board amazed at how cool all of the "pictures" were. Feverishly I posted (more like spammed) so I could reach that lofty "Koopa" rank, enabling the user to have a signature. Started out using Paint to make signatures, I was awful.

Tried too hard to be one of the "big guys", everytime I'd end up getting ignored or laughed at. So I decided to read through the many signature tutorials that were available at that time. One after the other after the other, my cycle became a process of read, experiment, read, experiment. After a while I began to improve. Once my father purchased Macromedia Fireworks 2004 for himself, later on he had allowed me to install it on my PC. Which game me something to grow into using.

Over the years I began branching out from signatures, to wallpaper, to animation, to even my own original artwork.

The disadvantage I have now that I didn't before is I lost the Photoshop filters previously installed into Fireworks. Other than that everything I know is the summation of learning through many MANY tutorials and practice.

On topic: Medusa is a good choice, although a silly concern is whether the snakes would be active or not? Should I say just how active? Somehow I see it as being a little awkward.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
ooo, a bite move using the snakes, i wanna see that.
Plus we'd get a staff user.

[COLLAPSE="Medusa"]
[/COLLAPSE]

In some way's Medusa is a better and more likely alternative to Krystal than anything. Sorry Krystal supporters.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Plus we'd get a staff user.

[COLLAPSE="http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110518231738/nintendo3ds/images/2/21/Medusa_%28Kid_Icarus_Uprising%29.jpg"][/COLLAPSE]

In some way's Medusa is a better and more likely alternative to Krystal than anything. Sorry Krystal supporters.
Okay, Medusa sounds badass. I'm in :bee:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Zelda isn't bad because she's slow, she's bad because she can't force an approach with Din's Fire and she definitely can't approach because her best moves are her smash attacks.

And then there's her recovery.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Obviously the snakes would be used in her moveset. OTHERWISE THERE IS NO POINT IN HAVING HER PLAYABLE.

WHOOPS I should have refreshed the page before posting, lol.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Zelda isn't bad because she's slow, she's bad because she can't force an approach with Din's Fire and she definitely can't approach because her best moves are her smash attacks.

I LOVE playing as Zelda in Melee, and I fair well against the people I play. I don't win most of the time though. (My brother mainly plays as Falcon/Falco)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Tell me about it... And I enjoy using her.

But as for Medusa I was just listing the lack oif mobility as a potential con.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I haven't seen much of Medusa in Kid Icarus Uprising, but what does Medusa ever do than turn to a big monster whos' head is large enough to take up the entire screen.

I believe she only appears in her human form in cut sceens

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I haven't seen much of Medusa in Kid Icarus Uprising, but what does Medusa ever do than turn to a big monster whos' head is large enough to take up the entire screen.

I do agree, while I would love to support her, I do need to see some more gameplay of Kid Icarus Uprising before I'm fully behind her.

Plus, since we don't know how she is in Uprising, she may not even work for Smash.

Steam

Smash Hero
medusa having a projectile that temporarily turns enemies to stone would be cool. or a final smash that works like peach blossom.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
medusa having a projectile that temporarily turns enemies to stone would be cool. or a final smash that works like peach blossom.
Or better yet, turns them into an eggplant

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

All in all that wouldn't be too much of an issue because characters like Zelda were pretty much built from the ground up despite the fact that they largely just appeared in cut scenes.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
All in all that wouldn't be too much of an issue because characters like Zelda were pretty much built from the ground up despite the fact that they largely just appeared in cut scenes.
Thank you, just about to point that out.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Am I think only one thinking it would be strange to see Medusa RUNNING? Would be neat if she sort of hovered while a snake-like trail of dark magic follows behind her.

I guess. :V

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Am I think only one thinking it would be strange to see Medusa RUNNING? Would be neat if she sort of hovered while a snake-like trail of dark magic follows behind her.

Seeing Ganondorf run is/was pretty weird. But you sorta get used to it. . . sorta.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Could be worse. "cough...Tingle...cough"

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So because games don't sell as well as a nintendo all star mixup, they are unsuccessful? That's like saying that wii sports is more popular than Kart.
Not a good example. Both Mario kart and Wii Sports are very successful. They both got it right. Sonic and Sega All Star Racing is an example of getting it wrong (which, funny enough, was toted around as having "No Blue Shell").

The hard concept for people to get is "high selling games are right, bad selling are wrong." This is 99% of the time because they are emotionally invested. Kuma is the same way. To believe what I'm saying is to believe that other fighting games should mimic Smash, not the other way around. Thus, Kuma tries to deny it the best he can, even going as far as to never respond to me again.

I want you to think about this:
As a Smash player, would top players like MewtwoKing and Ally look towards weak players?
Would Starcraft players like Boxer or Idra look at Bronze league players for advice?
Would Diago look at noobie Street Fighter players to get better?
Would a superbowl winning coach look at the playbook of a losing team (like the Tampa Bay Bucs?)
Would a wealthy and popular rock band like Avenge Sevenfold or Paramore (to throw out some names) look towards garage bands for help?
Would a teacher look to a student to learn more about the subject he teaches?

All of these would be no. It is only logically that the bottom look towards the top. This is because the bottom people want to become like those at the top. The top are where they are and happy to stay there.

Despite what Kuma wants to think, Smash Brothers is at the top. The reason we have video games is they make money. Sales are what make more games. Street Fighter went dark for 10 years because its sales were too low.

Now let's look below.
I don't know if you bothered to read from Kuma's gameplay list, but I see nothing wrong with adding combo capability and a few cancels here and there to make one's efforts more rewarding.
Let's go back to what we mentioned earlier. Smash is the winner. If I need to prove it, look at sales. You'll notice Brawl is the best selling fighting game ever. Melee is second. Street Fighter 2 is 3rd, with Smash 64 close behind it. It is clearly the winner.

We can also say this: Smash did something right where the others have not. What it is? We can also tell that most of these "more combos, more competitiveness," comes from other fighting games (so much so that Kuma rips ideas from other games). Sakurai has mentioned on numerous occasions that Smash was made as a response to other hardcore fighting games. He's mentioned he made Brawl more accessible. So it's pretty clear what is going on.

Smash is successful, in part, because it is accessible.

So adding these things, which are the opposite, will not help the game. Again, no reason to look at the games that aren't selling are well (and it's not like 22 million for Mario kart vs 40+ million for Wii Sports. It's like 10 vs 2 AT BEST). They should look towards Smash.

I was going to change a response from Kuma as well. If I am reluctant to change and don't come up with anything new, then I will try to do that. Of course, another night. Starcraft playing killed it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Weird idea but I kind of like the idea of her temporarily turning into a naga when she runs so that she slithers across the ground.
Well THAT would certainly be interesting. Not sure how it would function but it would definitely be different.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Seeing Ganondorf run is/was pretty weird. But you sorta get used to it. . . sorta.

"He runs while panting... 'Uff uff uff!'"

Tingle skipping around wouldn't be out of place. Anyway, I figure that snake-trail-of-dark-magic-thing would sort of give her a bit more personality. Like she doesn't make much actual effort while fighting. AMPLIFIED be her ability to attack with her hair. YOU JUST GOTTA GO WITH A QUIRK AND RUN WITH IT.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The way Sakurai sees it, that's the approach he's taken to game design from the very beginning. "Kirby's Dream Land was the first game I ever made," he said, "but I had no intention of making it a mainstream game. I really narrowed down the audience to beginners only. That's because, at the time, no matter how much fun the Super Mario Bros. games were, they were still too tough for normal people and kids. I could feel people drifting away from games, and it bothered me. In the midst of making Kirby, a lot of the team started wondering if we were maybe making it too simple. But I think it was necessary for us to consider people who hadn't played a game before, and I think doing that earned us fans that wouldn't have been around otherwise. That's the same creative approach I take with Smash Bros. It hasn't changed at all today."

...10chars...

Steam

Smash Hero
bowser running. lol

also getting turned into to an eggplant MIGHT be more humiliating than getting hit by yoshi's egg lay... MAYBE

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Basically her bottom half would become a snake.
Oh, somehow I was under the impression you were insinuating she'd become a complete snake. Guess I need to refresh myself on the definition of "Naga".

So basically she'd become this huh?

[COLLAPSE="Too large"]
[/COLLAPSE]

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
But more Toise and SmashChu shooting things down based on personal criteria.
Main reason why I don't post in there. I say anything they don't like and it turns into a pointless argument.
It's because most ideas aren't good. It's probably why most don't make it in the game despite people making THOUSANDS of them. The closest ones are the most reasonable (replays, stage builder, online ect). Most of the ideas we shot down are bad ideas, usually either not fun, not Smash or are so bizarre they'll feel off.

Basically her bottom half would become a snake.
Glad I'm not the only one to think this. Awesome down smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom