• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
In a high level match? I'd say all the time or as much as possible. Tech skill and spacing used to pull of certain moves is definitely important but if you aren't able to land them whats the point in learning them?

You need to able to trick your opponent in order to get hits on him. It depends on who you play and a lot of other factors, but when you're playing a good opponent mindgames are really important in order for you to get hits and kill your opponent. Can't get a hit? Game over for you.

Mindgames has a pretty wide variety of definitions though.

A lot may disagree but this is just my point of view. NP :)
♥Thanks a million! ^__^

infomon

Smash Scientist
No, that's being false to them. If they just want to play to have fun and whatnot, you might try playing with items on, all stages, play as random characters, or even set handicaps.

It depends what's more important to you; having fun with your friends, or getting better at Brawl.

If you're like me, though, you consider the pursuit of excellence at the game as a 1v1 or 2v2 competitive battle to be the most fun with it... but unfortunately, your friends probably don't play the same way. If they do, then they'd probably want to learn what they're doing wrong and how to get better, so just spend time exploring your characters and the mindgames that build up in your matches. If they're not interested in that and just get frustrated with the game, then you'll have to find other people to play with if you want to get better.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
No, that's being false to them. If they just want to play to have fun and whatnot, you might try playing with items on, all stages, play as random characters, or even set handicaps.

It depends what's more important to you; having fun with your friends, or getting better at Brawl.

If you're like me, though, you consider the pursuit of excellence at the game as a 1v1 or 2v2 competitive battle to be the most fun with it... but unfortunately, your friends probably don't play the same way. If they do, then they'd probably want to learn what they're doing wrong and how to get better, so just spend time exploring your characters and the mindgames that build up in your matches. If they're not interested in that and just get frustrated with the game, then you'll have to find other people to play with if you want to get better.

♥In my opinion, you should keep competitive(play to win) and casual brawling (play normally) separate. ;)

♥When playing with your friends, winning isn't always the way to have fun. Play a new character, choose crazy stages, play with cooky items.... the works! You may find yourself having fun because you're taking a break from the competitiveness of it all. At least.... that's what I think.^__^

♥You can always hit up someone online here for some competitive brawling so break loose every once and a while and play the way the game is "supposed to be played". ;)

False Soundz

Smash Apprentice
Jab canceling is when you cancel frames after either 1,2, or in captain falcons case his 3rd jab by pressing down on your controller. If you don't press down your character goes into rapid jab animation.

This enables you to either jab cancel again (basically jabbing>down>jabbing>down) or basically doing anything you want.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Noobish question... But what exactly is planking? From the context I've seen it used, it is a form of stalling, and is derived from a player who goes by the alias "Plank", but what exactly is it?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Noobish question... But what exactly is planking? From the context I've seen it used, it is a form of stalling, and is derived from a player who goes by the alias "Plank", but what exactly is it?
If I understand correctly it's dropping off the ledge, nairing, then hopping to fair through the lip of the stage and grabbing instantly.

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice
I believe it's repeatedly doing a ledge drop>up B. Putting your opponent in a risky position to approach in order to give you a safe way back onto the stage. Like Marth doing up B over and over on the ledge.

BTW thanks Terios. :)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
you both fail :p

its basically just edgestalling. i dont even know exactly what i do. just mix between nair, uair, tornado, up+b, fair, etc

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Is there a thread that lists all of the Stage Glitches? I've looked but I couldn't find one. Maybe one still has yet to be made?

EDIT: Sorry if my question doesn't belong here, but I couldn't find anywhere else to ask :)

Another EDIT: Actually I just found one, though it is old....
So just forget about my question :)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Does throwing an item (diddys bananas, robs gyro, peach turnips) refresh damage decay? I mean if it hits an enemy.
yeah, hitting things on the stage also refreshes move decay (balloon on smashville, the mansion on luigis, brinstar bendy thingies, etc)

False Soundz

Smash Apprentice
planking at its finest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phRs10GVwvg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awI8Zz1EIE8
skip to 4:00 in the second vid if only if you have a strong stomach

p.s. to the dude who cant find anybody to play with
dude, you live in brooklyn, NYC is liek the smash mecca, i refuse to believe theres nobody good around for you to play with
No it's not that I can't find anyone, it's that I live in a crappy part of brooklyn. I need to take 2 or 3 buses just so I can get on a train and then take that train for about 30 minutes 'till I get to that part.

Plus I'm 14, mom's too overprotective, doesn't want me going anywhere that's further then 1 train ride away. I was only talking about playing with people in my area.

There's a smash club in my school and that's about it for the people who live in my area. I 2-3 stocked them last time I played them.

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
^ not really just hold it whatever way feels comfortable

Just don't go crazy and try something weird.

Just whatever works for you.

Cero

Smash Lord
I have a quick question. Is there a specific way to hold the controller (Gamecube controller) when playing Smash?
Ummm... It depends. A lot of people prefer to hold the controller the default way.
(i.e. left index finger on L trigger/left thumb on control stick, right index finger on R trigger-Z button/right thumb on A, B, X, Y buttons and C-stick)

But I've also heard of players adopting certain tactics from other communities in order to improve their playstyles and become more versatile. A long time ago, I read about smashers trying to adopt Halo's "claw style" into their game.

The "claw style", as I understand it, is keeping the left hand's arrangement on the controller the same (default) but changing the right hand's arrangement slightly.

Instead of having your right thumb keep switching between the C-stick and the A, B, X, Y buttons; you keep the right thumb stationed on the C-stick.
For the A, B, X, Y buttons; you station your right index finger (Imo, pretty uncomfortable).
And, for the Z button and R trigger, you station your middle finger.

So... Is the claw style more efficient than the default way of holding a GC controller?
... I wouldn't know.
But, skills that take more effort and practice to perfect are usually the most rewarding at the end. So, I would hope the claw style would be an art worth mastering. :dizzy:

Btw, this is what the claw style's supposed to look like:

This might be a noob question, don't know
And yes, I tried to search (unless I don't know how to search)
How do you do an instant edge grab like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii3Gfj-1SV0
Taken from vyse's thread:

- Speed Hugging (two methods)
How to Perform (method 1): Run toward the edge, then quarter-circle the joystick from Down to Back as soon as you walk off of the edge.
How to Perform: (method 2) Run/walk/roll to the very edge of the stage. Then, very quickly press diagonally down and away from the stage's center on the joystick. Easiest to do while facing into the stage's center, but can also be done easily while running if you press diagonally down-forward just as you reach the edge.
Effect: Character drops immediately off of the platform and sweet-spots the ledge.
Method 1 OP+Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsPU6nCm5iI (2:26)
Method 2 OP: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164732

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
The "claw style", as I understand it, is keeping the left hand's arrangement on the controller the same (default) but changing the right hand's arrangement slightly.
Yeah. It's great for games like Tekken and Guilty Gear. As long as you can still dust properly. ^_^

What is a good aproach on a chain grabing dedede with wolf?
Lasers. Don't approach. Avoid and punish. CG's going to hurt. The best you can do is not get grabbed. T_T

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I was wondering...

What is the quickest method of escaping grabs and the "stuck-in-the-ground" position that DK's headbutt puts you in? I know that spamming buttons is helpful, but I was wondering if spamming certain buttons yields more favorable results (or if there are any other tricks that work better...).

Cero

Smash Lord
Hey, I was wondering...

What is the quickest method of escaping grabs and the "stuck-in-the-ground" position that DK's headbutt puts you in? I know that spamming buttons is helpful, but I was wondering if spamming certain buttons yields more favorable results (or if there are any other tricks that work better...).
Rolling the control stick in a circular motion as fast as you can definately helps. And, I'm pretty sure mashing on the A, B, X, Y buttons help too.
... Not sure on the Z button, L/R triggers or the C-stick though.

which move has the most priority? i know olimar uair has second higher, so which move has highest?
IIRC, Link's D-air has the most priority in the game.
I could be wrong though...

infomon

Smash Scientist
which move has the most priority? i know olimar uair has second higher, so which move has highest?
This has no answer. "Priority" is the perception of a multitude of mechanics in Brawl, with varying categories of distinction; you can't say one move has "more" priority than another, unless you select your own arbitrary set of criteria for what that means under particular circumstances. :)

You might want to see my post [here] for a quick mention of some of the related interactions that form the perception of priority. Although, my understanding has increased since then; for example, MK's jab, ftilt, and smashes have categorically different priority than every other character's ground moveset... and MK's glide attack has interesting clash mechanics as well. Someday I should do a big write-up about this stuff...

Anyway, Olimar's Uair arguably has weak priority: the vast majority of aerial attacks will not clash against opponent hitboxes, whereas Olimar's Uair will (you can consider the Pikmin to be a projectile, in some sense). This means that the Uair will lose "priority battles" against many enemy moves, in a way that is categorically unusual for an aerial. Nevertheless, it's disjointed and comes out fast, so you're welcome to say that it has "good priority", if that's meaningful in the context of some discussion.

Many ppl are under the mistaken impression that moves in Brawl are given some magic "priority number" that determines how interactions are resolved, but that's not the case. :)

Rabby

Smash Rookie
could someone give me some kind of list of things like those Fair and stuff because some of them are quite confusing so a little help there would be nice :) thanks

infomon

Smash Scientist
Rabby: I'm not sure I understand your question....
Are you asking about the strange Smash terminology, like Fair/Bair, SHFF, etc.? Try [this guide].

If that wasn't your question, then please clarify :)

Boofy!

Smash Champion
I'm learning falco and i wanna learn how to do the sliding pivot grab thingy, I've gotten 4 explanations and they were all garbage so I'd greatly appreciate an informative answer. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom