• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
Are there any significant differences between the US and European versions of SSBB like there were in Melee? ie, characters having less/more weight, attacks having different knockback, etc?
since no one probably saw this...

BentoBox

Smash Master
Can please someone provide me with a convincing argument for the reason that friendly fire is on in doubles tournaments?
How could it be considered a team effort if you are not obliged to take any consideration in your teammates' doing?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Can please someone provide me with a convincing argument for the reason that friendly fire is on in doubles tournaments?
I see lots of advantages, I suppose you've heard a lot of reasons, the question is why don't you find them convincing. Why do you prefer team attack off?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Going off the edge of the stage to save them for one. Healing if you're Ness? It's more because Team attack off encourages cheap and lousy play.

since no one probably saw this...

No I didn't. lol

No they're aren't any differences. At least none worth noting. If there were the games would desynch during online play.

infomon

Smash Scientist
From what I've seen, team attack on just adds a lot of depth to the game. Aiding your partner's recovery (now with footstooling), team-healing with Ness and Lucas, filling G&W's bucket, stuff like that. But more importanty, the actual combat is much more disciplined and interesting. Because with team-attack off, there's tons of projectile spam in the fray, since there isn't much room around the stage (unless you're somewhere massive), you just fire as much as possible, and you don't really have to pay attention to your partner at all. Team-attack on, you really need to work together. Also it makes it more interesting when a match comes down to 2 vs. 1, since the 1 actually has a chance with team-attack on (as Sonic I run around trying to get the opponents to hurt each other lol).

Those're just some of my thoughts though, I wonder if there are some classic Melee threads that discuss the pros/cons of each in detail.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Teams of characters with high priority attacks or fast projectile spam become abnormally good if team attack is off. Two Marths who are always side by side alternating attacks is absurd, and double Falco spam is extremely irritating. It substantially rewards teammates sticking close to each other with campy, defensive behavior.

_X_

Smash Lord
Hey guys, quick questions:

What about Brawl makes tech'ing different...?

It's almost as though it's... easier to tech in Melee... >_> Is that the right way to explain it?

It's defiantly not as important but getting own'd by being hit into the side of the stage while recovering isn't very fun.

Any thoughts?

Can you give me examples of cheap and lousy play when friendly fire is off?
Pretty much any kind of spamming. Projectiles are awesome... Marth's could just fair all over the place... it's havoc.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
^^
Reported...
JERK! =P

Nah. I saw it that time. Advertising. XD

Hey guys, quick questions:

What about Brawl makes tech'ing different...?

It's almost as though it's... easier to tech in Melee... >_> Is that the right way to explain it?

It's defiantly not as important but getting own'd by being hit into the side of the stage while recovering isn't very fun.

Any thoughts?
You could tech during hitstun on Melee. I mean you can in Brawl TOO but you're more likely to airdodge instead cause of the lack of hitstun.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Here is a quick question.

Every now and then I see some person, (I believe most or all are mods) create these Single posts..Not threads.

Is there a way to do this? Do I have to be an admin?

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Modded controllers are typically "unfair," but I read something about taking the springs out on the GC controllers be maybe legit for Brawl tournaments. Since the spring pressure has no affect on input it's more of a unnecessary hindrance. So is unsprung shoulders on GC controllers consider legal for tournament play? Or will it still be an "unfair" advantage?

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
That's true in a sense. I think the question is if it's fair. A lot of people follow the "standard" rules so if SBR members sets it as fair than they wouldn't argue with it.

Cero

Smash Lord
Buffering a move is basically inputting a move while still executing the last input.

For example: You can buffer a shield while executing your d-air. You're basically holding the shield button while performing the aerial.

If you're doing an aerial over the ground and you buffer a shield, the result is your character's shield popping up at the earliest point possible when you land.

Another example is when your character is being thrown out of the stage and is still in hitstun and you're tapping the jump button. This will make it so that your character jumps out of hitstun as soon as possible.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
Does stutter step really do anything?
Stutter step is 464+smash, right? As Mario I don't really see it adding to the range any more than 4+Smash does.

BobSmith006

Smash Cadet
How does one manage to buffer a dash after an attack?

I've been told that a good way to keep juggling going with Oli is to d-throw, then buffer a dash in before attacking with aerials (because most people DI away from you when you throw them). I've never really understood how to buffer a dash, though. :/ And I generally end up chasing them down to hit them.

∫unk

Smash Master
How does one manage to buffer a dash after an attack?

I've been told that a good way to keep juggling going with Oli is to d-throw, then buffer a dash in before attacking with aerials (because most people DI away from you when you throw them). I've never really understood how to buffer a dash, though. :/ And I generally end up chasing them down to hit them.
Buffering is just doing the button input before you can actually do it, letting you execute the move at the fastest possible moment (and usually easier on the fingers for timing).

Just hold forward after the d-throw in your case.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Does stutter step really do anything?
Stutter step is 464+smash, right? As Mario I don't really see it adding to the range any more than 4+Smash does.
Stutter step is just 4 and smash at 6. 464 smash should give you a little more range. It's mostly noticeable with Sonic as he has a pretty good dash. ^_^

Oh and a good deal of people on smashboards probably won't know what you mean if you use numbers for directions so if anyone wants to correct me....

5 being neutral 8 up 6 forward 4 backwards etc. If you are facing left it's

Cero

Smash Lord
^^
Ohhh...
So that's what the numbers meant. Lol.

But that method's a little confusing. Because i just checked the number pad on my calculator and it went:

(your method)

And, then I checked the number pad on my cell phone and it went:

Inconsistencies like that can really confuse people.
Couldn't we simply do this?:

NW, N, NE
W, M, E
SW, S, SE

It's a universal format. And everybody here should know how to read a compass.
... Right? :)

SSD

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't we simply do this?:

NW, N, NE
W, M, E
SW, S, SE

It's a universal format. And everybody here should know how to read a compass.
... Right? :)
has been used for quite a long time. It's based on the calculator, yes, so it's also used on the keyboard number pad. I guess that it's just natural for some of us.

I would have used the common smash designations in my post if I hadn't needed to ask about direction facing as well as attack direction.

EDIT:
last thing
compass directions don't give the information on the location of the opponent. In the number system, 6 is always towards the opponent and 4 is always away from the opponent. Someone asks me what to do, and I saw tilt west, they might ftilt west when their opponent is to the east(silly example, but you know what I mean). If I said tilt 6, then they'd ftilt in the direction of the other guy. In Smash, 4 doesn't really come into account unless your in the air or doing stutter steps(which is why I used the system in my original post).

but that's all more or less completely irrelevant, as we aren't play soul calibur and thus don't need to remember things like 3214391A+G/

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
I have a question.

What exactly is teching, and how do you do it? You could imagine how hard it'd be to search the forums for that term and find anything useful -_-

SSD

Smash Journeyman
I have a question.

What exactly is teching, and how do you do it? You could imagine how hard it'd be to search the forums for that term and find anything useful -_-
Teching is pressing the shield button (R or L on gamecude/classic controller standard setup) a few frames before you hit a wall/floor/ceiling. For walls and ceilings, it will make your character bounce off, but put you in control. This means that you won't keep bouncing around the cave in hyrule temple, and it will allow you to avoid "stage spikes".

For floors, it allows you to land on your feet instead of on your face/***. If you tech(press shield) without a direction, you'll bounce of the floor and be standing in place. If you press left or right, you'll hit the floor and roll to that side before going into a standing animation.

If you input the shield command when you are too far away from the stage to tech, you'll suffer a penalty and won't be able to tech. So don't just mash the shield button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom