• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

infomon

Smash Scientist
At the top of the page there's a "Thread Tools" button which (if you have javascript enabled) pops down a menu with an option "Subscribe to this thread...". Alternatively, I think the default site options have it so when you post in a thread, you are automatically subscribed. I think you can change that in your user control panel.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Does a 3 hit jab combo count 3 times in your move decay list? Or just once?

My initial guess is 3 times, since they're distinct moves that can be performed independently of eachother. (a, aa, aaa).

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
At the top of the page there's a "Thread Tools" button which (if you have javascript enabled) pops down a menu with an option "Subscribe to this thread...". Alternatively, I think the default site options have it so when you post in a thread, you are automatically subscribed. I think you can change that in your user control panel.
Thanks.

I have the default, but its not automatically suscribing to anything. I'll see if I can set it to do that.

Edit: Yeah you can. I'd reccomend setting it because its a lot more helpful than manually suscribing to every one.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I have a simple question: Does the ratio of damage affect hit stun?
That's a good question. I'm not sure what determines the length of time you're in hitstun. I think it's probably knockback, although certain moves (like bullet seed, MK tornado, etc.) might have weird properties about this..... Iunno.

metroid1117

Smash Master
What is DAC?

I can't search for it because its less than 4 letters...
DAC = Dash Attack Cancel. It is called so because you either interrupt the dash attack animation before the attack comes out with an USmash or after the attack comes out. One of the names for the form where you cancel the dash attack animation is Boost Smashing. To do it, run with the control stick, then C-stick down (dash attack) and hit up+Z (USmash); if done properly, your character should maintain the momentum gained while using their dash attack while using their USmash. Note that the dash attack does not hit at all.

The other form, where you cancel the ending animation of your dash attack, is done exactly the same but with different timing; run with the control stick, then C-stick down (dash attack) and hit up+Z (USmash) slightly later than you would for a Boost Smash. One of the names for this is the DLX Hit Cancel.

Equus

Smash Cadet
N00b question: Say you keep having to shield punish a 'nado-happy MetaKnight. What's the best/fastest way to recharge your shield after it's been worn down?

Rabert

Smash Rookie
Who are some of the best Characters in the Air?

I've been a Luigi main for a while, but I'm looking to spice it up. My play style tends to be in the air, if I'm on the ground I'm either recovering, in the process of jumping again, grabbing, or Dsmashing.

Diddy Kong, Luigi, and Wolf have been pretty good for priority and KO's in the air, but who else is really good?

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
I can't ever seem to hit the people I play with, and they always hit me. Unfortunately, I don't own a copy of brawl and rarely get to practice. Is there any kind of focused practicing I can do?

Metroid475

Smash Cadet
Has anyone actually perfected ledge bouncing? I cant seem to do it on command or find any threads concerning this. Is there a trick to it? I believe it would seriously help my edge guarding if i could do this whenever i felt like it.

XBit1021

Smash Rookie
I really need some advice on beating my friend. It gets really hard to counter him when he uses a certain strategy. He likes to sit still with Wolf, consistently firing his blaster. Generally he stays on the lowest level of the stage so there is no getting beneath him. I try to approach and attack from the air, he generally has the time to block my attack, and grab me. Then he throws me away from him, and does the same thing again. It gets really annoying since he gets about 50% on me before I can even stop him from doing the same things over and over. I like to use Ness, Yoshi, and Diddy Kong. (In that order of preference) Any advice on trumping his strategy? (hopefully forcing him to stop doing it so darn often...)

Rabert

Smash Rookie
Play Ness or Lucas.

Press Down B, and Up B or just Neutral B.

This will force him to actually play, so then you just have to beat him close up.

Cero

Smash Lord
Has anyone actually perfected ledge bouncing? I cant seem to do it on command or find any threads concerning this. Is there a trick to it? I believe it would seriously help my edge guarding if i could do this whenever i felt like it.
Ledge bouncing?
Perhaps you're talking about a well known tech, but calling it by a different name...

Are you maybe referring to ledgehopping? :confused:

RayOxide

Smash Cadet
Yeah umm, I just have to know who I should try using more often. I want to try to get good with someone unknown and unused, I've done that with Captain Falcon so far, I can connect his knee (F air methinks) pretty well now.

Also, when in brawl with 3 CPU and it's free for all, do they all try to attack you .. always?

Oh and person with yoshi sig (sorry lol) put him on something like spear pillar, or f/erigate orpheon, he'll eventually have to jump around. Maybe find someone that you can quickly jump around him, or try using Snakes side B (controllable missile thing), getting good with that makes it hard to block and all. (hover it over his head and he might eventually take off shield, so you can drop it on him) :chuckle:
but im not very good at this game in comparison to the people who use techniques.

I cant use any techniques, except maybe a non-smash aerial combo with 'falcon.
He's all i can use tbh.:urg:

AH, another question. If anyone could PM me the list of language used, (like ledgehopping and what it is, dair (even though i know what it is) and what dair is) would be extremely nice. Just PM so i dont lose it lol.

Im not that new to Ssb games, just to the foruming, techniques and stuff.

RayOxide

Smash Cadet
^Yeah you gotta go to files on the BRAWL menu and click on your name, not sure about changing name of profile but I know you can change what buttons - what.

That what you mean? If not idk o.o

infomon

Smash Scientist
Who are some of the best Characters in the Air?

I've been a Luigi main for a while, but I'm looking to spice it up. My play style tends to be in the air, if I'm on the ground I'm either recovering, in the process of jumping again, grabbing, or Dsmashing.

Diddy Kong, Luigi, and Wolf have been pretty good for priority and KO's in the air, but who else is really good?
Wario. Hmm, also Jiggs, Peach, and MK. Yoshi too?

RayOxide

Smash Cadet
Yeah umm, I just have to know who I should try using more often. I want to try to get good with someone unknown and unused, I've done that with Captain Falcon so far, I can connect his knee (F air methinks) pretty well now.

Also, when in brawl with 3 CPU and it's free for all, do they all try to attack you .. always?

Oh and person with yoshi sig (sorry lol) put him on something like spear pillar, or f/erigate orpheon, he'll eventually have to jump around. Maybe find someone that you can quickly jump around him, or try using Snakes side B (controllable missile thing), getting good with that makes it hard to block and all. (hover it over his head and he might eventually take off shield, so you can drop it on him) :chuckle:
but im not very good at this game in comparison to the people who use techniques.

He's all i can use tbh.:urg:

AH, another question. If anyone could PM me the list of language used, (like ledgehopping and what it is, dair (even though i know what it is) and what dair is) would be extremely nice. Just PM so i dont lose it lol.

Im not that new to Ssb games, just to the foruming, techniques and stuff.

Ehem :( lol.

I hear Falcon has a good U Air for ko. And his F air (the knee) is hard to use but pwns. OH and the backhand (b air) lol.

I'ma shut up about falcon now :S

Cero

Smash Lord
^^
Why did you quote yourself? And, how is that last Captain Falcon tidbit a question?

EDIT: That was directed at RayOxide.

Who you're good with depends entirely on your own personal playstyle. But, if you're aiming to main characters that aren't very popular and are currently low tier then you should check the official tier list and try out the low tier brackets.

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Also, check out Ankoku's thread on a more up-to-date statistical read-out of all the character's current tournament standings.

Character Rankings List

I've heard that always happens in Brawl's cpu ffa's.
...Not the case in Melee, though. :chuckle:

He's all i can use tbh.
Practice. Practice. Practice.
That's all I can tell you. In time, you'll get better...

[SEPT 13 update] The Comprehensive Guide to AT's, Discoveries and Glitches

^^
Posted it up just in case anyone else was curious.
I'm going to PM you the link as well.

What is Cero's sig? I see things like that everywhere D: I don't get it!
Super Smash Bros. Brawl meets Caramell Dansen! (HQ)

^^
The Caramell Dansen...
Last year's little YouTube fad. :chuckle:

Also, what is shoop da whoop <_<
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shoop+da+whoop

^^
I just checked urbandictionary.com...

"1. shoop da whoop

The sound one makes as they fire their laser.
Imma chargin' mah lazer!
Imma firin' mah lazer!
SHOOP DA WHOOP!

2. Shoop Da Whoop

Noun/Verb
The act of firing one's lasers, typically annihilating the victim completely, this term originated with the comical short flash film: "Syntax Error 2", and was made famous by the youtube film: "The Lazer Collection".
Shooping or Shooping Da Whoop, as it's known in verb tense, is done with an eccentric cartoon expression with bulging eyes and a wide gaping mouth. It's often known to be done at random.
Head of Common Mockery: "I am the head of common mockery. I will grant you three wishes."

Random Boy: " woa, is that true? Are you really gonna grant me three wishes?"

Head of Common Mockery: "No. My real purpose here is to FIRE MY LASERS, GAGHH!!!"*Shoop Da Whoop*

3. SHOOP DA WHOOP

the process of FIRIN MA LASER.
Ok, you brought this on yourself!..... IMA CHARGIN MA LASER!.... IMA FIRIN MA LASER!.... SHOOP DA WHOOP!

4. shoop da whoop

n.

-a term commonly used by texan geeks
- the sound one makes while falling
- used as a substitute for "pwnage" and the like

person 1: George Washington was born in 1730
person 2: actually, he was born in 1732....ohhhhh SHOOP DA WHOOP"

kuenzel

Smash Ace
Here's one (or more)- I see my buddy do the ol' dash attack + cancel into usmash with falco and snake, yet I can't seem to do it with my main zzs. Are there only a few characters that can do that?
And is there a thread explaining how to DI exactly? All I know is "smash the controller in the direction you wanna go" is that all? how do I know if I did it?
(edit) And is jab cancelling jab, jab, shield, (move cancelled into)?

metroid1117

Smash Master
Here's one (or more)- I see my buddy do the ol' dash attack + cancel into usmash with falco and snake, yet I can't seem to do it with my main zzs. Are there only a few characters that can do that?
And is there a thread explaining how to DI exactly? All I know is "smash the controller in the direction you wanna go" is that all? how do I know if I did it?
(edit) And is jab cancelling jab, jab, shield, (move cancelled into)?
I think only certain characters can cancel their dash attack into an USmash.

This thread explains DI very well.

Jab canceling is jab -> jab -> *down* -> w/e you want.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Snake has the easiest DACUS. Falco, Wario, Link, Jiggs, Shiek, Wolf can pull it off, some easier than others. I don't know what other characters can. That might be all, or I might have forgotten a couple. I don't think Zss can, but I could be wrong.

...ok, so I have a question. Is removing the springs from the shoulder buttons legal? I've heard that all controller mods are banned, but I've also heard that that one is allowed, and I'm not sure who to believe.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Right. Considering that whenever avatars are changed we keep getting the white box of death for a replacement for the one we actually want, is this problem going to get sorted out any time soon?
It's depressing to see half the boards with no picture for their avatar at all.
I guess this is more a question aimed at the mods, really.
Thanks in advance.

TP

Smash Master
Can someone tell me what the hell "D.I" or "Smash D.I" is? People keep using it on these boards and i have no idea what it means.
DI (there is never a period) stands for directional influence. Long story short, you can alter the trajectory you fly after getting hit using the control stick and can break out of multi hit attacks be hitting away with the c-stick. There are a couple of threads that explain it well, I suggest you look for them. DI helps you live longer. For example, if you get hit straight sideways, it is wise for you to DI up, since being up and off to the side is a much easier recovery than just off to the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom