• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hype

Smash Lord
Ok so heres the deal. I plan to make a combo vid and I have so many amazing vids on my firends' wiis. I have a capture card and i could have them bring there wiis to my house while i film everything for an hour or 2 but thats really inconvinient.

My question is if i buy a memory card, can i take it to my friends house, copy a replay already saved on his wii and put it onto mine?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I play as Zelda/Sheik, and my DI, while usually saves my ***, doesn't seem like it's quite as effective as it should be.

Is there a thread about DI? I never really learned much about it. No idea what smash DI is, or how to get out of a multi-hit smash attack, like Pikachu's D-smash.

So, can you guys tell me everything I need to know about DI?

metroid1117

Smash Master
I play as Zelda/Sheik, and my DI, while usually saves my ***, doesn't seem like it's quite as effective as it should be.

Is there a thread about DI? I never really learned much about it. No idea what smash DI is, or how to get out of a multi-hit smash attack, like Pikachu's D-smash.

So, can you guys tell me everything I need to know about DI?
Please try using the search function before posting a question (as it says on the original post); I answered a question similar to this just a few posts above yours. However, here is the answer you want: this thread explains DI very well.

Germanydabassist

Smash Rookie
Does anybody know the rules for the grab release and under what conditions what direction the release is in?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Please try using the search function before posting a question (as it says on the original post); I answered a question similar to this just a few posts above yours. However, here is the answer you want: this thread explains DI very well.
Sorry about that. I actually DID use the search. I guess I overlooked that post or something...

metroid1117

Smash Master
What kind of Mind Games should I play with my opponents.
Or if you can point me to a Mind Game board, that would be great!
Mindgames are simply ways to manipulate your opponent's habits to your advantage. There's no set mindgame you can pull for every opponent; different players have different habits. For example, most projectile spammers either roll behind you or spot-dodge your attacks when you get close; a "mindgame" you can play on people like that is to use an attack that covers both sides like Ike's USmash. Predict your opponent's actions and punish accordingly; those are the basics to mindgames.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
2 issues: Exactly how long does it take for a shield that's at minimum capacity to fully recharge?

And exactly how long do Snake's explosives stay out before going off automatically?

Reapd

Smash Apprentice
hey guys i have a ?, what do u think is the best way to train when u can't brawl ACTUAL ppl.
THX in advance

Amide

Smash Lord
hey guys i have a ?, what do u think is the best way to train when u can't brawl ACTUAL ppl.
THX in advance
Learn techs, but that depends on the character. Also, find out kill percents, strategies, and even spacing you can sorta practice on your own.

smasher?o.0

Smash Journeyman
One thing i never see is people who say practice not getting hit
so im hear to say it
practice not getting hit
practice hitting with no lag and not getting hit while attacking

Cero

Smash Lord
THX in advance
Best cpu levels to train with are levels 3 and 4.
Practice timing, spacing and techs. Only do this when you think you're getting rusty and are need of some quick practice sessions.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Question
Is it possible to cancel the initial dash animation [frames] with a sheild, some other attack, or anything else? I've noticed on more than one occasion that i've been fox-trotting, my opponent throws a projectile, I try to bring up my shield while in the initial dash animation, and i've been smacked in the face, no sheild or anything. Is there a way around this? I know you can whip out a sheild in a full blown run, so not being able to during a fox-trot seems kinda dumb...

infomon

Smash Scientist
There is some running state in which you can't do anything except maybe dash-attack, run more, or jump. It's annoying, yeah. There are multiple running "states"; they're pretty noticeable with Sonic. In the initial dash, I can instantly start running in the opposite direction (true dashdance). If from standing I tap forward to foxtrot, Sonic will "surf" (his arms are out and he's sliding), and that's the state where I can't shield or do much except dash-attack. But if I let go of the control stick in a run, I'm instantly in a "screech stop" state where I can do anything; shield, Fsmash, etc.

So running in Brawl is kinda messed up :/ I don't understand it all.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
how can you not understand it when you just expained it perfectly?

in the initial dash the only things you can do is continue to run until you are in the full dash animation, dash attack (which has to be done using down on the c stick, if you use A, most likely youll do a stutterstep forward smash), or jump

infomon

Smash Scientist
Well, apparently I use the term "initial dash" for the wrong state, lol. There's some weird stuff with pivoting etc. that I don't quite get so *shrug*

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Ledgecampers

How should I deal with an ROB who camps the ledge? For those who want to be character specific; I play Pit and Diddy.

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
How do you play sets? In videos I've seen it says "Game Set" and the end of some matches however I can only get it to say "Game" at the end of each game.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
The brawl announcer says game set in the japanese version iirc

From a minimum capacity shield, how long does it take to completely recharge?

(hoping for an exact answer) How long do Snake's explosives stay out before going off automatically?

Browny

Smash Hater
what is the purpose of the consecutive hit counter in training. some combos like falco dthrow-> first hit of jab register as a combo, as do most triple hit things but when i do thigs like a sonic uthrow-usmash/uair/utilt it counts as a combo even though when a human player is controlling they can escape it every time.

I was under the impression a combo is only counter if you hit the enemy before hitstun wears off but there seems to be some inconsistencies. DDD's semi-infinite on bowser does not count as a combo, however dthrow-ftilt/jab does, and niether does marths grab release on ness. But ive managed to get Sonic to GR chaingrab ness to count as a true combo. So even though marth just has to stand still for it to work and he can regrab much quicker, it still doesnt raise the combo counter, and ness is clearly in hitstun.

XienZo

Smash Lord
what is the purpose of the consecutive hit counter in training. some combos like falco dthrow-> first hit of jab register as a combo, as do most triple hit things but when i do thigs like a sonic uthrow-usmash/uair/utilt it counts as a combo even though when a human player is controlling they can escape it every time.

I was under the impression a combo is only counter if you hit the enemy before hitstun wears off but there seems to be some inconsistencies. DDD's semi-infinite on bowser does not count as a combo, however dthrow-ftilt/jab does, and niether does marths grab release on ness. But ive managed to get Sonic to GR chaingrab ness to count as a true combo. So even though marth just has to stand still for it to work and he can regrab much quicker, it still doesnt raise the combo counter, and ness is clearly in hitstun.
The combo counter is there to see how much longer til you get that trophy. And it makes people feel pro when they get 999 combo with Lucario in a closed in area. Thats about it. It doesn't actually follow most rules about combos.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
Are there any significant differences between the US and European versions of SSBB like there were in Melee? ie, characters having less/more weight, attacks having different knockback, etc?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
After a certain amount of hitstun, you can airdodge or do an aerial in brawl. That lets you get out of a lot of "combos". However, the combo counter will register a comob as long as you hit the opponent out of hitstun, even if they could airdodge or do an aerial.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Here's one, are all the ATs incorporating B-sticking doable without? I believe I've read earlier in this thread that wavebouncing was doable without b-sticking, for example~

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
Matchup question:

Outside of Yoshi (since I honestly can't use the guy for my life :/), who would be the best CP for MK? I was thinking about Diddy, but I have my doubts on that.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Snake and G&W do well, and many other characters can do fine until you're playing against really good opponents.... like ICs; MK is the ICs' worst matchup, but the ICs are such an excellent and underplayed character you can go really far with them regardless. But it's generally acknowledged that MK has no real counters, so you have to just play better than MK, or go MK ditto.

@ other questions: sorry, don't know answers :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom