• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCMR-Brawler64

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes the computer wins the match in a Basic Brawl online. 3 experts players ( :) with me) and the computer with the same strategies... I have a question about this, why the computer appears in brawls onlines and others time never appears?? (obviusly 3 human players or 2 players in a match by example). Maybe is a random option. Please reply (I'm curious to know)

Cero

Smash Lord
Oh, seriously?

I thought it was to fill in for people who either lost connection during battle or if the server was taking too long to find a person to brawl with...:confused:

On a side-note:

It looks like your English improved a bit, JCMR-Brawler64.
It's easier to understand and more legible now... (just something I noticed) :)

infomon

Smash Scientist
When you do a With Anyone Free-for-all, if only one or two opponents join (so you're waiting at the training area), then there's a one-minute time limit. If the time runs out, the match begins, and you may or may not have CPU's taking the place of the missing people. I think there are CPUs more often than not, but sometimes you'll be allowed to have the match with just one or two (human) opponents.

Cero

Smash Lord
Gimping is the act of intercepting someone's recovery while they're trying to get back on to the stage.
An example would be Mario caping Fox's up B or Marth jumping in front of Ness' PK thunder.

Any successful edgeguard is considered a gimp.

subzerosmokerain

Smash Rookie
I have a R.O.B, a Metaknight, a Game and Watch and a pit.

Who should I use against a Pikachu player?

(I am very good with Metaknight and ROB, decent with Game and Watch)

Cero

Smash Lord
Character Matchups(Week 14 Hint!!!!)

^^
I just did a quick check on the Pikachu forums...

Meta Knight and R.O.B. are both good match-ups against Pikachu.
Mr. Game & Watch (lol - still "under construction") and Pit haven't been discussed yet...

This is good for you since you said that you do best with these two characters.
Just don't underestimate your opponent and you should do fine.

subzerosmokerain

Smash Rookie
Thank for the advice. I do a little better with Metaknight than ROB but he's gonna expect me to use Metaknight, should my experience with MK null my predictablity?

Cero

Smash Lord
Meta Knight is one of those characters that can do well even when played predictably.

If you feel confident enough in your Meta Knight, then you should do well as long as you play smart and always try to keep your opponent guessing.

And, if you're in need of a counter pick, you've always got R.O.B. and any other character that might take your opponent by surprise.

Gords

Smash Champion
my game is pretty good however I find myself a bit too predictable. Has anyone got any good tips or hints as to how to improve my unpredictability. Also are there any good ideas on how to practice the above against CPUs

Cero

Smash Lord
The only real way to train is with friends (as in humans). And, preferably not over wi-fi.

While playing a match, try being conscious of what both you and your opponent are doing and try to recognize patterns. Look for your opponent's bad habits and try to exploit them to the fullest while making sure your opponent can't do the same to you.
That means pulling mindgames out of nowhere and always keeping 'em guessing.

Just keep playing against different people and you'll get the mindgames down eventually.

As for cpu's, best levels to train on are levels 3 and 4. Though, cpu's should only be used for timing and spacing as they're pretty dumb and do the same things over and over again.
So, in actuality, you're learning the opposite of being unpredictable. (not good)

Gords

Smash Champion
thanks for the help Cero. Looks like I better start jumping back onto wifi when on my own, which is unfortunately is most of the time. Also thanks for the tip to use lv3-4 CPUs, I have been setting them to lv7-9. However ever how should iplay against them? What do you mean by timing or rather timing of what?
Thanks

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Alright......AT question.

As you all know, Links and Toon Links arrows can be canceled and B reversal.

So I try combining these and often Link/TLink Shoot his arrow one way while facing the other (I would often RAR bair into it). Anybody no why? I asked in the Link boards but I got a wide variety of answers with too many explanations and I couldn't figure out who was right.

Answers I got included...

Timing There are certain frames in which That just happens
I was doing the bair too late and not giving enough time to allow a RAC (Reversed arrow cancel)
A special input is needed/helps to do it correctly constantly (I don't think it exists but I tried everything besides the normal inputs)
Other Stupid answers

Cero

Smash Lord
thanks for the help Cero. Looks like I better start jumping back onto wifi when on my own, which is unfortunately is most of the time. Also thanks for the tip to use lv3-4 CPUs, I have been setting them to lv7-9. However ever how should iplay against them? What do you mean by timing or rather timing of what?
Thanks
The timing of your attacks and your opponent's attacks.

Lag (before, during and after), hit stun and range, for all moves, should be accounted for while trying to approach or space out your opponent.

subzerosmokerain

Smash Rookie
I need help, I only have the wiimote and nunchuk and im facing GCC players. how should I modify my controller? And what is DI?

Cero

Smash Lord
Either modify the configuration as you see fit or try to ask some neighbors or friends for a Gamecube controller that you can borrow.

There's no "best" way to modify your control scheme, so just do the best you can so you'll be as comfortable as possible when controlling your character.

DI stands for directional influence.
Basically, when your character gets knocked away from the stage and in the air, the natural reaction would be to tilt the control stick towards the stage so that your character can just "drift" back safely. This is DI.
DI is also used to escape possible combos and avoid foreseen attacks when used appropriately.

At higher percentages, it's necessary to DI as quick and as early as possible so that you can extend your stock's life span.
An effective way to DI faster when hit by an attack with high knock back is to quickly aerial dodge or use an aerial with low starting frames and then DI back. Executing the aerial/aerial dodge allows you to regain control of your momentum faster. Thus, letting you live longer.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
On the other hand, you'll also find people referring to something similar called 'Smash Directional Influence' or Smash DI.

Smash DI is a means of influencing the angle at which you are launched by an attack by Smashing in a direction that is perpendicular to the angle you wish to be launched into the air at. This must be done at the very instant you are hit by an attack.

Also it is possible to Smash DI out of multi hit attacks like Pikachu's Downsmash.

The easiest way to see this is to go to Halberd and let yourself get hit by the Energy Beam. Once caught in it, keep smashing the control stick away from the beam, you'll DI out of it. You can also do this with the C-stick as well. Using them in tandem is called 'Double Stick DI'.

I hope that's not too complicated for you : )

Gords

Smash Champion
Gords, you can get plenty of practice when you come to QLD ;)
what do you think i want the practice for, i wish to be up the top of the tourney your holding in QLD and since i am comming straight from the airport to the venue i wont get the smashfest time to play like some of my fellow OOSers that are coming to the event also.

The timing of your attacks and your opponent's attacks.

Lag (before, during and after), hit stun and range, for all moves, should be accounted for while trying to approach or space out your opponent.
ah so timing in general then as in the execution of the ATs, spacing/evading and DI. is this what you mean?

Alright......AT question.

As you all know, Links and Toon Links arrows can be canceled and B reversal.

So I try combining these and often Link/TLink Shoot his arrow one way while facing the other (I would often RAR bair into it). Anybody no why? I asked in the Link boards but I got a wide variety of answers with too many explanations and I couldn't figure out who was right.
i am not really sure what you are tying to do,
is it that you want to fire an arrow in the direction you were runing before you RAR Bair, but the arrow goes back toward the direction you were coming from but that Tlink is facing in the direction you were runing prior to the RAR?

if so then i would say that timing is out or that you are pressing the arrow button before taping back on the control stick, so instead of doing a canceled B reversed arrow all you are doing is a canceled arrow then turning around while it is being canceled. It is most likely the later if the above senario is the case of what you are trying to say. i hope this helps?

On the other hand, you'll also find people referring to something similar called 'Smash Directional Influence' or Smash DI.

Smash DI is a means of influencing the angle at which you are launched by an attack by Smashing in a direction that is perpendicular to the angle you wish to be launched into the air at. This must be done at the very instant you are hit by an attack.

Also it is possible to Smash DI out of multi hit attacks like Pikachu's Downsmash.

The easiest way to see this is to go to Halberd and let yourself get hit by the Energy Beam. Once caught in it, keep smashing the control stick away from the beam, you'll DI out of it. You can also do this with the C-stick as well. Using them in tandem is called 'Double Stick DI'.

I hope that's not too complicated for you : )
Perpendicular? oh ok all this time i thought it was parallel to the direction you wished to be lauched?

SolidKirby

Smash Rookie
uhmm where 2 find guides or smthing like tuts

heyh i'm a bit good with snake but i dont know where 2 find a guide ore smthing just reply it and i whill say thx !!!! THANX VRY MUCH!!!!:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::psycho:

JCMR-Brawler64

Smash Apprentice
QUESTION: what is the best strategie to win a Sudden Death with some character.
I say this because when I play a sudden death in WI-FI, I have 40% of win the sudden death, why? My attacks are delayed. Like the running attack of Snake, is good to win a sudden death.
I never lose a sudden death with MetaKnight... no problem with him. :)

infomon

Smash Scientist
heyh i'm a bit good with snake but i dont know where 2 find a guide ore smthing just reply it and i whill say thx !!!! THANX VRY MUCH!!!!:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::psycho:
Uhhhm....... I don't know anything about Snake, but this has lots of good information:
[Link: The MOST IMPORTANT Thread You'll Ever Read]

In particular, it links to two threads that helped me a lot: "Keep Losing" Try This..." and "The Physics of Attacks (DI Included)".

As for Snake, a quick look at the Snake character discussion board shows that there is a stickied thread that lists all the important Snake-related threads, including a number of guides.

Cero

Smash Lord
Can you make it a little more simpler? sorrry, im not good.
SSBB DI and Air Dodge Explained

^^
Best video I could find. Hope this helps...

ah so timing in general then as in the execution of the ATs, spacing/evading and DI. is this what you mean?
Yep. :)

Perpendicular? oh ok all this time i thought it was parallel to the direction you wished to be lauched?
Vyse was talking about smash DI.
Watch the video that I linked to subzerosmokerain.

QUESTION: what is the best strategie to win a Sudden Death with some character.
I say this because when I play a sudden death in WI-FI, I have 40% of win the sudden death, why? My attacks are delayed. Like the running attack of Snake, is good to win a sudden death.
I never lose a sudden death with MetaKnight... no problem with him. :)
Ummm...
I haven't had many sudden death matches so I'm just going to have to take an educated guess and go with spamming projectiles.

Spamming coupled with heavy mindgaming is most likely your best option. Characters with long range, hard hitting projectiles should usually come out on top in a sudden death match. (R.O.B.'s laser/top and King Dedede's waddle dees come to mind)

...Or you could just run around until the bob-ombs start dropping and take a gamble at who gets hit first. :chuckle:
(Don't do this if you actually care about the sudden death.)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Well, say you are launched perfectly horizontal. To maximise the distance you have to travel before you die, you would have to Smash DI up, as this is the perpendicular direction to which you are travelling.

The result would be that instead of flying horizontally, you would be launched at a rising angle instead.

And yeah, Well, at least you'll have time for friendlies before the tourney starts (I hope).

Gords

Smash Champion
Ok so I thought right, I just miss understood you. For your example I would be laughed horizontal but would like to give my trajectory a vertical component so I would smash DI up, which would be parallel to the direction I would like to travel in. This would send me up plus side giving your described trajectory.

infomon

Smash Scientist
No, you would _regular_ DI up. Smash DI is while you're caught in the attack's hitlag, and you want to get out (like if it's a multi-hit attack). Or to avoid combos, or if you think you can smash-DI close enough to a wall so you can tech out of it. Regular DI is when you DI just as you get launched, to control your trajectory out of it.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
No, you would _regular_ DI up. Smash DI is while you're caught in the attack's hitlag, and you want to get out (like if it's a multi-hit attack). Or to avoid combos, or if you think you can smash-DI close enough to a wall so you can tech out of it. Regular DI is when you DI just as you get launched, to control your trajectory out of it.
Well, if you Smash DI at the moment you're hit, you'll automatically be launched at the maximum perpendicular angle in which you were hit/thrown.

If we go back to Melee for a second, which had auto-smash DI, if you held the C-stick to the side whilst say, Jigglypuff up threw your Fox, you would be thrown at the maximum angle to side, rather than straight up. The same thing would happen if you timed the smash DI manually.

In Brawl, this is a manual input anyway, as you can no longer buffer it.

Unless I'm mistaken...
: /

EDIT:
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Directional_influence

This link should answer all your questions anyway.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
How train for brawl?

Umm so how do you? People say online sucks so im trying to find other ways but yet I still have no options can anyone help me?

Gords

Smash Champion
so let me just get this straight:

when double stick DIing in brawl you hit the control stick during the hitlag frames of the attack, and then hit the c-stick during the hitstun after the attack to double stick DI.

also in which direction would you hit the c-stick in, ie. perpendicular/parallel to the lauch direction. (i am assuming you are still hiting the control stick perpendicular)

Cero

Smash Lord
Umm so how do you? People say online sucks so im trying to find other ways but yet I still have no options can anyone help me?
The best way to train (unquestionably) is with some friends. Just fight to your heart's content.
That's it. Over time, you and your friends will get better.

The other option (when you can't find anybody to play with) is to train on the cpu's. The best levels for cpu training are levels 3 and 4. Just practice up on timing and spacing.

Level 9's aren't the best practice as they tend to develop bad habits in a player's playstyle. Therefore, making them predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom