• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
I kinda thought of this out of the blue, so forgive me if it's been discussed before. At least I didn't try to make a separate thread for it.

Have TOs/SBR/other important people considered turning the display of percents off to combat some of the more controversial issues brought up here, such as planking? It doesn't completely preclude it, but I could see it making it more risky to attempt. And in this suggestion I'm assuming this is the ONLY thing changed.

I feel that this has been brought up before and slammed down just like every other suggestion (considering the nature of Smashboards), but hey, it takes a dumb person to bring up dumb suggestions, right? XD

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I kinda thought of this out of the blue, so forgive me if it's been discussed before. At least I didn't try to make a separate thread for it.

Have TOs/SBR/other important people considered turning the display of percents off to combat some of the more controversial issues brought up here, such as planking? It doesn't completely preclude it, but I could see it making it more risky to attempt. And in this suggestion I'm assuming this is the ONLY thing changed.

I feel that this has been brought up before and slammed down just like every other suggestion (considering the nature of Smashboards), but hey, it takes a dumb person to bring up dumb suggestions, right? XD
Not too outlandish of an idea. I bet it'd be thrown out on the basis that you couldn't as precisely do various combos, or know when certain things would work.

edit: I was about to post the idea in the SBR when I realized it's a no go because then you can't tell who won sudden deaths.

infomon

Smash Scientist
lol, that's a neat idea I've never heard before.

but I don't think it works, and it's trying to solve a problem that I don't think exists.

Nevertheless, I just like the idea of not having the %s displayed because it makes things prettier; like I want to see the fight, not the numbers at the bottom... (at least they don't get in the way as much as they did in melee!!)

anyway, what SCOTU said. :ohwell:

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
I see. Thanks for the feedback. I honestly didn't consider the idea too deeply seeing as I'm really just a scrub with no tournament experience and little Brawl experience period. That was on my mind for a while though so I thought I'd bring it up.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
someone link me to the " attacks that jab lock" thread?

I've been playing againt a buddy of mine using a few low tiers chars that i know for certain can jab lock, but the only one i seem to be able to setup with is lucas (dair ftw)..

soooo a informative thread or video explaining ALL the casts' jab locks would be swelll! =)
halp

10halps

infomon

Smash Scientist
such a thread might not exist.

Why don't you make one?

Just add the ones you know, and ask ppl to submit them.

It's quite possible that there's a simple underlying phenomenon that can explain what moves can be used to jab-lock; like it must do less-than-such damage and last fewer-than-x frames.
Then you could just pick up a character and already know what you can do.

Although it probably depends on the knockback of the move, not damage, so it's something you just kinda gotta "figure out".... so yeah maybe just listing them all somewhere would be best.

And don't limit it to jabs, but all moves.. cuz iceblocks can lock, so can nanners, etc.

And then setups are another matter entirely.

Hmmmmmm yes you should make this thread :)

Boofy!

Smash Champion
I had a feeling you were going to be the one to answer this question. And I also had a feeling that this was going to be the answer lol

Sorry for the misunderstanding.. I called it a "jab-lock" simply cause that's how I see it referred to as, despite what the move may be.. like the aforementioned Lucas, it's not his jab that locks, but D-tilt

As for the thread, I'll make it later tonight since I'm busy at the moment. Feel free to make it in my place if you feel inclined to do so.. it was your idea after all

...could of swore I saw the thread before though lol

;)

infomon

Smash Scientist
lolll

maybe we both need to learn how to search and find this thread :laugh:

but I'm too lazy
and WAY too lazy to make it
so best of luck in your search and/or threadmaking lol

CrimsonSun

Smash Cadet
I have a question, which I can't seem to find a thread that consists of what I'm looking for and the search engine isn't working for me currently.

Is there a topic that is about each character's rolling? In depth stuff of which character has the longest roll, which ones are the slowest/fastest, and lag times?

penguin_and_panda

Smash Apprentice
i probably sound noobish for this but what does planking mean? and I i don't have wifi so the hardest opponents are lvl 9s but I find them very difficult compared to real people because of the amount of dodging. If I dodge, they will probably dodge the exact same time. Then if I dodge closer to grab (Dedede), they always hit me right after the dodge and before the shield. How do I stop this?

infomon

Smash Scientist
i probably sound noobish for this but what does planking mean?
There's nothing n00bish at all about this question, because it's a "smashboards meme/term" rather than an actual gameplay mechanic. (insert rant about smashboards vs. the actual full Brawl community, lol)

Planking is "aggressive ledgecamping", made famous by a guy named Plank (I think it's actually plairnkk or smthg liek that!?).... as MK, he'll get ahead in % and then just hang out on the ledge, falling off, jumping back on, mixing in aerials every now and then.... it's a very advantageous position for MK in some matchups. If the opponent jumps off the edge to try and attack, the MK can see them coming and has enough options to deal with it, either by attempting to gimp them, or just getting onto the stage and hopping on another ledge.

It doesn't need to be with just MK. Some ppl find this tactic extremely annoying, some think it's broken (ban-worthy; will degenerate high-level play to this "optimal" strategy) and impose limitations on how how it's allowed to happen in tournament matches, etc.

*shrug* HTH

and I i don't have wifi so the hardest opponents are lvl 9s but I find them very difficult compared to real people because of the amount of dodging. If I dodge, they will probably dodge the exact same time. Then if I dodge closer to grab (Dedede), they always hit me right after the dodge and before the shield. How do I stop this?
In general.... don't dodge unless they've started an attack.

But then you'll notice that certain dodges are slower to realize their invincibility frames than the opponent's attack's hitbox comes out. In this case, you shouldn't be putting yourself in that situation to begin with; if you can't safely dodge in time to avoid their attack, whenever they attack, then you've already granted them a free hit..... unless they make a mistake. But never count on them making a mistake.

Part of the issue is that level 9s don't often attack unless they know you're already in lag. They've just been baiting your dodges all along. The worst thing you can do near a CPU is commit to something and hope they mess up.

If you're playing CPUs, just stay away. Give them their space. Learn to get around them. This is how you'll learn the spacings of all their attacks; where their blindspots are, how to stay at maximal range so any attack will just whiff you. Then you won't have to dodge preemptively, but can punish if/when they do something dumb.

The other thing to watch out for, is that CPUs lag in different ways than people. afaict, CPUs don't often take advantage of IASA frames. So when you learn the timing/spacing to their moves (ie. they're a Lucario and they Fsmash, then you run in and punish)...... watch out: Lucario's Fsmash can rarely be punished, because there's very little lag afterwards, even though it normally looks like he's in lag. The CPU will get hit, but a real opponent will shield or dodge or grab or attack as you (predictably) run in to punish.

Mebbe you knew all that but w/e :) HTH!

penguin_and_panda

Smash Apprentice
I need help with a main. I've been playing for a few months and STILL haven't been able to stick. I would like to stay with 1 character but maybe 2 if the first has a particularly bad match-up. I like grabs.... That narrows my choice to Ice Climbers and King Dedede. Dedede is higher on the tier list (6th) and Ice Climbers are 12th I think.... Climbers have a better grab game and I prefer lighter characters with quick killable smashes rather than slow super strong ones.

P.S. I don't mind learning ATs

P.S.2 I use the Classic Controller...

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
We can't choose your character for you; its something you have to decide for yourself to see if you really want to learn that character. I will tell you that the ICs are hard to learn and take alot of time to perform well with. ;) But that should make them all the more fun.

Don't let that tier list stop you from using someone you like to play with.

BSP

Smash Legend
We can't choose your character for you; its something you have to decide for yourself to see if you really want to learn that character. I will tell you that the ICs are hard to learn and take alot of time to perform well with. ;) But that should make them all the more fun.

Don't let that tier list stop you from using someone you like to play with.
basically this. have you tried all characters?

infomon

Smash Scientist
No. But pummels can act funny.

If two pummels happen in immediate succession (one properly buffered during the end of the previous, I guess), then they can count as a "combo" (might be equivalent to the training-mode "combo" counter?), and so they'll count as the "same move" as far as the stale move queue is concerned. I'm not sure if you can stack three or more into that "same move" or not. Anyway, the point is you should decide if you want the pummels to refresh your other moves as much as possible, or if instead you want the pummels to do as much damage as possible (like if you're trying to use the throw to kill the opponent, and the throw is itself fresh).

hope that makes sense :)

BSP

Smash Legend
When does a move actually start stailing? Immediatly after it's used, or after a certain number of times?

infomon

Smash Scientist
When a move connects with a hurtbox (including that of projectiles or stage elements like statues or shyguys), it is added to a "stale moves" queue. I think the queue size is 9. The closer it is to the "top" of the queue (ie. most recently used), the more it is stale. A move can be in the queue in multiple spots at once, and I think if a "combo" (by some magical definition) happens, only the first move is put in the queue.

But I am definitely not sure about this, that's just what I think I remember from threads of long ago.

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
I fought someone today who would dash forward, then immediately cancel into his shield without the slow down. What is this called, and how do you do it?

eDin

Smash Rookie
Hi, why i can not save my brawl matches every time? Does it have to do something with the time played on the single matches? Seems like matches under 3 minutes are saveable and matches above aren't. Someone ideas?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yes, that is correct. Only replays under 3 mins can be saved. Noone has any ****ing clue why the developers put in such a ******** limitation; the file sizes of replays are typically smaller than the snapshot images. :urg:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
there IS a file format restriction on how big a replay can be, iirc, and it's not tremendously difficult to hit in a teams match. Following standard procedure for brawl, the developers slapped on a limitation they knew would never fail (instead of using any form of logic and making a more usable restriction).

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Okay, might as well try here. >_>

I suck with high tier characters.

I really, seriously do. I've been trying for months now to find a good secondary for Ike, as you basically have to be Kirk or San to beat characters like Olimar or Falco with Ike. Yet so far the only secondaries I've found that I can defiantly work well with are Bowser and Falcon. >_> Obvious probably is obvious: they both have worse match-ups over all. Bowser kinda takes care of Falco, but that leaves me with Falcon for Olimar and D3. NOT a good situation.

Basically: Who is a high tier character that is easy to get decent with that isn't MK?. I've tried MK, his playing style doesn't work for me at all. I'm too slow with Marth, can't do anything but grab with D3, and my G&W is fairly terrible.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
That's a big issue, there's not very many chars with "easy" labeled on them with those kinds of good MUs. I think Falco, sheik, and maaaybe yoshi do well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom